Is Jeff Fisher Still Capable of Being a Winning Coach?/Karraker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I saw Hammer post this on the other forum and thought it was rather eye-opening:

want to emphasis it takes years playing together before olines jell...that Robinson, Brown, Havenstein have among the fewest snaps based on snaps from other rookie/2nd year players is inexcusable...all 3 should be among the leaders in total snaps not dragging up the rear. All 3 should be playing, at a minimum, deep into the 2nd quarter

rookie ot snaps
corey robinson 93, tj clemmings 92, Peat 87, ty Sanbraillo 83, Poutasi 78, Daryl williams 67, DJ Humphries 67, Tyrus Thompson 66, Ereck Flowers 65.........Havenston/Robinson snaps 29 each The exact same thing at guard at NE Belichick has played Mason and Tre Jackson 107, 103 snaps each after 2 games while Brown has 29..never played guard before, rookie and playing with new players on each side and only 29 snaps?

same at qb..good luck any team that played 4 qb's( I went through 10 teams and none played 4 qb's)...Foles had 17 snaps...new team, new wr's and 17 snaps? 29 snaps for the year places him 73rd out of 112 qb's in snaps

There's a reason this team never seems to be ready to play at the start of each season. IMO Fisher is WAY too easy on his players. They don't push it in practice and they don't get enough reps in preseason.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well actually the idea was to talk about the Rams in a way that's free and open for everybody. Be it for homers or people who are more critical. Where we could talk about it and it wouldn't result in personal spats that spanned for months over multiple threads, where you could come to actually discuss the Rams and not measure dicks with somebody or talk about their personal hatred for (insert player here.)

Is it anymore fair to say that this is too negative and that things are bad because people are being critical of a coach who hasn't had a winning season in 3 years here than to say that people are being too positive and homeristic about it? The site was made so we could escape the other sites ideals of shutting down conversation if it wasn't 'right' in their eyes.

No offense to you, but that comes across as more like trying to shut down conversation but in the opposite spectrum. This is for discussing the Rams, whether it be good or bad.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That just opens the questions to WHY did he pick such scrubs if they were so bad? Nobody forced Fisher into signing those guys, he choose to himself.
Tell us who was available who you think would have been better? I'm not sure there was anyone. Hell there aren't 32 quality starters in the league let alone extras to be in back up rolls.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Tell us who was available who you think would have been better? I'm not sure there was anyone. Hell there aren't 32 quality starters in the league let alone extras to be in back up rolls.
In 2014?

Kyle Orton, Charlie Whitehurst, Sanchez, Vick and Campbell, McCown and others hit the market in 2014 and many weren't even signed by the time we signed Hill. All marginally better than a guy who was teaching HS and guy who hadn't played for 5 years as you called them. Hell, remember all the threads damn near BEGGING for Sanchez?

So why didn't we give them a ring? Why didn't Fisher look at them? There were other options, Fisher simply didn't take them.

FRO

Legend
To me the biggest failure of the Fisher/Snead era to date. Now this is total hindsight on my part, but picking Cordy Glenn over Quick in 2012 and getting Warford over trading up for Austin in 2013 would have given us 2 huge road grading OGs that would have excelled in the power run game. Add Robinson in 2014 and Havenstien in 2015 and you would have slowly built a young powerhouse line. Fisher and Snead did that with the defensive line with adding Brockers and Donald to Quinn and Long. You win at the line. Defensively they put the resources into the line early. On offense they only picked an offensive linemen once in the first 4 rounds in their first three drafts. Going into year 4 with a hyper-inexperienced offensive line may totally sink our chances this year.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Is it? We have a dedicated team of moderators who are here to keep that from happening and have no objections to this thread.

I think we're all mature enough to air our grievances in a mature way without having to resort to being personal, and it hasn't resorted to that at all in this thread. You shouldn't make assumptions of things just because you disagree with them, because imo that's no better than the people who are all like LOL HOMERS GOING TO TURN INTO A HUGBOX. So far it's been good, healthy discussion and so far the only people turning it into LOL FISHY WISHY SUX or LOL THE RAMS R SUXOR have been people trying to decry the thread. We've definitely had worse threads than this going before.

At some point you have to ask yourself, is what I'm saying is happening actually happening or am I making something out of nothing?

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
As Sum1 stated; their record has dropped under JF the last 2 years. Fisher was basically a .500 Coach when he got here. He has never had a team win a ring. His playoff record is bad. Without the "miracle", it would have been hailed as unforgivable. The guy has always found a way to be in the right place at the right time though.

I'm as big of a homer as there is on this site, but I do have two bug a boo's with our team; Fisher, and Austin. I do believe that this team has assembled enough talent to win in spite of them. Anything less than a playoff birth should be grounds for immediate dismissal. I know I couldn't put up a 21 year career of mediocrity and expect to keep my job. We are past the point of needing to see improvement, it is time to put up or shut up.
Barring a disaster, he will be knocking on the door of the top 10 in all-time coaching wins after this season. The only guy even remotely close to him in winning pct in that esteemed group is Coughlin, and he has 2 rings. Being able to grind your way through 21 years, with little to no accomplishment is a true feat. Fisher is being paid like a top tier Coach and his teams haven't even won a playoff game since 2003!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/FishJe0.htm

Thank you guys for letting me blow out the lines. I hope I am wrong, and Fisher is a general out there like Alexander the Great this year; making all the right moves, and adjusting his guys to exploit the other team. I hope Tavon has 1500 yards combined rushing and receiving with 10 TD's. I do believe that the Rams are more than capable of winning 10 plus games this year, they just can't wait until 1/3 of the season is over to catch up to the competition.

FRO

Legend
Probably should have drafted a QB earlier than the 6th round. There usually aren't any good options at QB in free agency.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
In 2014?

Kyle Orton, Charlie Whitehurst, Sanchez, Vick and Campbell, McCown and others hit the market in 2014 and many weren't even signed by the time we signed Hill. All marginally better than a guy who was teaching HS and guy who hadn't played for 5 years as you called them. Hell, remember all the threads damn near BEGGING for Sanchez?

So why didn't we give them a ring? Why didn't Fisher look at them? There were other options, Fisher simply didn't take them.
McCown had a decent year for the Bears but then came back to earth once he was signed.
Campbell Maybe could have warmed the bench but wouldn't have done any more than we had.
Whitehurst is just a younger Hill.
Sanchez and Orton are the only two I would have considered, in fact I wanted Orton to be signed before he ended up in Buffalo.

The list just goes to what I said earlier, there aren't 32 quality starters in the league. So expecting anything other than bad QB play and a losing record after Bradford was gone just isn't being truthful with yourself.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Probably should have drafted a QB earlier than the 6th round. There usually aren't any good options at QB in free agency.
My biggest complaint with Fisher and crew is that they had a franchise QB and did not do enough to protect him. I understand he is a defensive guy and understood how to build that side of the ball first HOWEVER their lack of attention and draft picks to build the Oline cost us Bradford. The QB that supposedly brought Fisher to StL.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Is Fisher still capable of winning?

A handful of experts at ROD have analyzed the body language of our players and the results are in: NO. WE ARE DOOMED.

OUCH...Saw that one coming yesterday...Let's all pummel the body-language guru..LOL !!!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
OUCH...Saw that one coming yesterday...Let's all pummel the body-language guru..LOL !!!!

I was just having fun, I would have put it in blue font but my phone and that feature don't get along....

I don't think a players body language should be dissected, or at least I don't like the idea of that becoming a common topic lol. I know some things about body language, certainly no expert, but I find reading a professional athletes body language while exhausted and in the heat of a game and under the biggest spotlight available will tell us anything that isn't totally subjective without also knowing that person and being familiar with their typical mannerisms and personality.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
My biggest concern for us moving forwaed in Jeffs own words we may even wait till gametime of the seahags game to choose our starting center for this team. We already have a question with Roger at OLG and know Washington might not be the final answer. Just having 3 guys so close together we can't see a decent seperation till possible gametime? It has me slightly concerned we went this route with these three when only in hindsight would you rather have Fairly who could'nt beat out Westbrooks or us signing a center who could be solidifying a OL as the two rooks on the right side don't scare me as decent starters. Even the Jags have the many time mentioned center starting for them the raiders had last year and we just toyed with signing him. Center killed us last season and a blood oath should have been taken to not ever let that one position ever this soon cause our team so many sleepless nights. The buck stops at Jeffs desk to me. Maybe Rhaney, Barnes or Jones who looked okay and at the second level against 3rd stringers last week. We need real help at the pivot position this year, giving Foles another second will be real key especially up the middle in his face this season.

I never added even 1 negative post or thought during the 25 page preaseason game thread. Glad we had no injuries was my biggest thoughts after all that traveling. Great week of practice and at home should look different in week 3 to all of us. Get the young starters some reps. Find our starting center please. Fisher will be coach next season no matter what is ever said all season here. May be extended before season ends even by Kroenke. This thread about Coach Fisher is just letting off steam.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher and Snead have done a great job putting together talent. I'm not denying that.

Fisher has also put himself in the QB situation the team is in. We should have done more than add Shaun Hill last year. They should have made it a bigger priority LAST year to address the backup QB/potential starter knowing what had happened to Sam Bradford the year before.

I think you can go ahead and give Fisher 2013 for Bradford going down...2014 some of that has to go back on Fisher. He had a QB coming off of an ACL who had the same injury. Sorry, I think it's more than fair to say he should have had a better insurance policy behind his starter.

At some point the reasons why things aren't happening for this team are no longer reasons and are legitimate excuses. If the offense continues to flutter this year what do we say? The offensive line is young and hasn't had a chance to gel? Foles hasn't had time to get acclimated? Every team has new and young players. Every team has injuries. They are obstacles and can derail a season. But when you lean on that stuff year after year after year there is more at issue than just that.
Don't want to sound all Debbie Downer or anything...

But it's been mentioned more than a few times that the Rams don't have sufficient depth in some areas:
* Clearly, the Oline
* But the Dline has also been mentioned (are we really missing Brockers that much?)
* The LB corps doesn't appear to have a lot of depth
* Secondary? Perhaps

The one area where I think we can all agree is RB... when Gurley is ready, we are well stocked.

After 4 drafts and 4 seasons of FA opportunities, it does seem a little odd that we don't have more depth on this team in more areas.

Am I wrong there?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yeah most people don't buy in to what preseason sells anyway.
Frankly, I'm just not buying what Fisher is selling. I wasn't really buying it last season, and I'm certainly not buying it now.

I am certain there will be games that we play unworldly this season against very good opponents, but I am not expecting a winning record this year.