Is Chip Kelly on the way out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The irony is there are probably some people in Philly that would want Jeff Fisher because in the end people want what they don't have and because the Rams have no offense most feel Kelly would bring that at the very minimum.

It's not easy selecting a Head Coach I used to think it was, but the Rams have tried it three ways of late. They went with a low profile OC in milquetoast Linehan and then went high profile defensive coordinator with Napoleon Spagnuolo and finally felt they found the right guy with previous Head Coaching experience and well respected throughout the league in Jeff Fisher.

What's next, college? Not sure anymore, but for all intents and purposes the Rams have tried three different roads and are no better off then they were back in 2006 when they passed on Ron Rivera and Mike Zimmer for the stammering Linehan.

I'll never forget when they announced Linehan. I was like, Who? What the Hell? Then I saw his presses and he totally didn't come off as a head coach. I called him George Burns. I was miffed that they didn't pick Zimmer or Rivera after seeing Scott Linehan.

Right now I don't know who they could get. Hue Jackson just might be the best choice. There aren't many faith inspiring names out there. I want to believe that Fisher can figure it out on offense but has he ever figured it out without a top QB? His offense looked good when he finally had a good OC in Heimerdinger but I am not seeing that rematerialize anytime soon. Plus the receiver and QB spots are seriously lacking. I wish it felt like this team is on the cusp but it still doesnt feel that way to me.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He is like any other coach. Give him a good QB and he is in the playoffs every year. Without one he is Joe Schmo.

Not really in this case. The local talking heads who are very knowledgeable (Jaws, Baldinger, Cosell) and have the advantage of hanging out at NFL Films and watching a lot of video, all feel that the NFL has caught up to Kelly's offense.

They all say that if you look at his offense, they essentially run like 6 -8 plays and that is it. It is all about tempo and good defenses that can just throw 11 guys out there without a lot of sub packages, can shut it down since it is predictable. Just about every week an opposing defensive player states that they have a good idea what play is coming and pointing out that they just keep running the same plays over and over. Lavonte David mentioned that this week after his pick 6.

Now if you have great talent maybe that can work to some degree but he is not fooling anyone. Kelly was 19-9 in his 1st 28 games. He is 5-9 since last Thanksgiving and even that early success saw only 3 or 4 wins against teams with winning records. So teams have caught up and adjusted to this high volume tempo offense.

He is a college coach plain and simple.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did a pretty good job with the Raiders. Not sure why they sacked him.

Because they're the Raiders. He did a phenomenal job and possibly even better in Cincinnati
He's the guy if the Rams are looking imo

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I read that as

Kelly might be the asshat Mizzou is looking for! Just throwing thi out there for any opinions! SEC head coach might just be the ticket for him!
I take it you don't much care for Kelly? Not sure I do either based on his changing/ handling of personnel! In college , don't think that matters as much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did a pretty good job with the Raiders. Not sure why they sacked him.

They fired him because he made himself de facto GM in the aftermath of Al Davis's death and traded a lot for Carson Palmer. In hindsight, it was actually a solid move.(had he been able to stick around, I think we'd have seen Palmer do what something similar to what he's doing now in Arizona) And had Al been around, I don't think Hue would have been fired. But after they got everything sorted out following Al's death, Hue's power grab came back to bite him in the ass.

But he did a masterful job of coaching that year. They started the year 4-2 but lost Jason Campbell and Darren McFadden to injuries which caused them to finish 4-6. Carson Palmer went 4-5 as a starter...but he didn't know the system and had been sitting out the season so he was pretty rusty. Had Campbell and McFadden been healthy, I think they win at least 10 games. And it's crazy to say that considering Campbell and McFadden are first round busts. But that's how impressive of a job he did.

Hell, if he had Palmer coming into the season, that's probably an 11 or 12 win team.

I'd kill to get Hue Jackson here as the HC and Jim Schwartz as the DC. But I don't know if we'll be Hue's top priority. He might prefer San Diego or Detroit because of Rivers and Stafford.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Right now I don't know who they could get. Hue Jackson just might be the best choice.

I remember how bad I wanted Fisher to hire Hue Jackson as the offensive coordinator over Brian Shottenheimer, I truly believe things would be different if Fisher went away from his comfort zone and hired Jackson instead, but of course, he didn't.

I would be on board with Jackson, if he kept Williams or brought in Jim Schwartz as the DC that would be a benefit too, however, there are so many moving parts right now with the Ram franchise, it's hard to see if changes actually loom on the horizon.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
What did I say?!

Before the season even started, I said halfway through the season, the eagles fans will be calling for his head.

I was right.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What did I say?!

Before the season even started, I said halfway through the season, the eagles fans will be calling for his head.

I was right.
You're a genius.

Now go make me a crownie.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What did I say?!

I was right.
No offense but we're talking about Philly! They wanted Andy Reid fired every year after every loss
Suggesting philly will call for their coaches head is as safe a bet as Jerry Jones signing a lousy free agent who doesn't fit!!
Haha

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But he did a masterful job of coaching that year. They started the year 4-2 but lost Jason Campbell
Just goes to show how great he is with that statement alone!! The fact he was able to make Campbell relevant enough that he'd be missed...
And spot on with Palmer. They really coulda had something if they would have kept that group together.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
You're a genius.

Now go make me a crownie.
I actually did last night.
20151126_011518.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They fired him because he made himself de facto GM in the aftermath of Al Davis's death and traded a lot for Carson Palmer. In hindsight, it was actually a solid move.(had he been able to stick around, I think we'd have seen Palmer do what something similar to what he's doing now in Arizona) And had Al been around, I don't think Hue would have been fired. But after they got everything sorted out following Al's death, Hue's power grab came back to bite him in the ass.

But he did a masterful job of coaching that year. They started the year 4-2 but lost Jason Campbell and Darren McFadden to injuries which caused them to finish 4-6. Carson Palmer went 4-5 as a starter...but he didn't know the system and had been sitting out the season so he was pretty rusty. Had Campbell and McFadden been healthy, I think they win at least 10 games. And it's crazy to say that considering Campbell and McFadden are first round busts. But that's how impressive of a job he did.

Hell, if he had Palmer coming into the season, that's probably an 11 or 12 win team.

I'd kill to get Hue Jackson here as the HC and Jim Schwartz as the DC. But I don't know if we'll be Hue's top priority. He might prefer San Diego or Detroit because of Rivers and Stafford.

Aah yes. 2 1st rounders was a steep price to pay. Still, he actually made the Raiders look good which was a hard feat back then.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I remember how bad I wanted Fisher to hire Hue Jackson as the offensive coordinator over Brian Shottenheimer, I truly believe things would be different if Fisher went away from his comfort zone and hired Jackson instead, but of course, he didn't.

I would be on board with Jackson, if he kept Williams or brought in Jim Schwartz as the DC that would be a benefit too, however, there are so many moving parts right now with the Ram franchise, it's hard to see if changes actually loom on the horizon.

What's funny is how interconnected everything is.

For example let's say Williams doesn't get suspended... Fish is not looking for DCs every season to ensure his defense is on track and might have been more able to make an earlier change with Schotty. Might be an alternate timeline somewhere in which he fired Schotty and hired Norv Turner.

Fisher's weakness is his offensive staff hires. He needs to do better, and get someone in here who can take charge of that unit like a head coach on that side of the ball and run $h!t. I'd kill for even a proven OC type dude like Jackson of course. But IF Fisher manages to get that fifth year after another losing season he needs to effin kill it with the OC hire. Nothin against Cigs here, but when you're a head coach you gotta have guys who are up to snuff at the coordinator positions. It is a huge part of success in the NFL.

I hate watching Minnesota do what we cannot with probably less talent overall. But they have coordinators on both sides of the ball that are up to snuff with Zimmer and Turner. IMO THAT is what we gotta get to. Get a real OC in here for the love of F#*@!.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not really in this case. The local talking heads who are very knowledgeable (Jaws, Baldinger, Cosell) and have the advantage of hanging out at NFL Films and watching a lot of video, all feel that the NFL has caught up to Kelly's offense.

They all say that if you look at his offense, they essentially run like 6 -8 plays and that is it. It is all about tempo and good defenses that can just throw 11 guys out there without a lot of sub packages, can shut it down since it is predictable. Just about every week an opposing defensive player states that they have a good idea what play is coming and pointing out that they just keep running the same plays over and over. Lavonte David mentioned that this week after his pick 6.

Now if you have great talent maybe that can work to some degree but he is not fooling anyone. Kelly was 19-9 in his 1st 28 games. He is 5-9 since last Thanksgiving and even that early success saw only 3 or 4 wins against teams with winning records. So teams have caught up and adjusted to this high volume tempo offense.

He is a college coach plain and simple.

With a better QB that can also run his system would work better. He calls the same plays over and over but the idea is that on every play there are about 6 options of where to go with the ball and with his numbers game one of them will always be an option. It just depends on which one the defense gives him and if the QB can recognize and execute. The Eagles thrived in year one against lousy defenses and good ones shut them down. In year two they all knew what to do and one big key was that Foles took too long to decide where to go with the ball........and he is not a threat to run. That eliminates one of the options in the offense. The QB always has to be a threat to run, a la Russel Wilson. That is why I never understood him wanting Bradford.

I still think that if he had a Mariota or Wilson his offense would work. But it would not be an unstoppable force like many seem to think. The beauty of his system is that it is simple. It is easy to learn and players adapt to it quickly. That is why he came into the league claiming that he could run this offense with just about any QB. He quickly found out that NFL defenses are a million miles better than college defenses and his statement was just plain wrong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I don't think there will be any changes. I hope I am wrong. Fisher will chalk it all up to injuries. Remember the poster who said the scout reported that the staff felt they could make a Superbowl run?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay...Riddle me this...Who?

My top guy would be Hue Jackson. After him, Ben McAdoo and Adam Gase are two offensive minds that I am high on. I would be good with Asshole Face if he brings a top DC with him...not a bum like Rob Ryan or Spagnuolo. On the defensive side of things, Sean McDermott and Ray Horton are two names that I am high on. My only fear with Horton is that he's a 3-4 guy.

If we do go with McDermott or Horton, I'd want one of the top offensive minds on the market. With Horton, I think Ken Whisenhunt would be high on his list. No idea with McDermott. Two guys that I think are underrated are John DeFilippo of the Browns and Bill Lazor of the Dolphins. I'd absolutely love getting DeFilippo on the Rams with a top defensive mind.

But my dream team would still be Hue Jackson at HC and Jim Schwartz at DC.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's another name to throw in the mix for OC - Jim Bob Cooter - the Lions OC. They've been looking a lot better since he was hired. Jim....Bob....Cooter. :)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/26/it-feels-like-now-or-never-for-chip-kelly-in-philly/

It feels like now or never for Chip Kelly in Philly
Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzzjdmngzlmzg4njeynzy3nmfmzta4zgqyothmytm21-e1443209088670.jpeg
AP

Four days after being blown out, 45-17, by a team that won two games in all of 2014, the Eagles are down 24-7 through 30 minutes of a game against a team that had won one game in the first half of 2015.

And with Philly and coach Chip Kelly on track to lose a third game in a row, questions will get louder and more persistent about his future. While USC indeed remains a possibility, the primary NFL option is the one that first became obvious after Kelly couldn’t strike a deal to land former Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota in the draft.

The Titans already have fired their head coach, and interim coach Mike Mularkey hasn’t done enough to merit serious consideration for the permanent gig. If Tennessee ownership has interest in Kelly (and if they know what they’re doing, they should), a reunion makes plenty of sense.

It wouldn’t be nearly as complicated as some have suggested. As PFT previously has explained, the Titans simply need to call the Eagles and ask whether it’s possible to work out a deal that would allow the Titans to hire Kelly, if he’s interested in making the leap. With each additional loss, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie presumably will become more willing to let Kelly go in exchange for reasonable compensation — especially if Lurie already is thinking about making a change.

Of course, Kelly also would have to want to make the change. If Kelly does, maybe he simply would try to force his way out, which would allow him to go straight to Nashville without the Titans giving up draft picks that otherwise would help Kelly put talent around Mariota.

While it’s a point of pride (supposedly) for a coach to be traded for two first-round picks, two second-round picks, and $8 million in cash like the Bucs did for Jon Gruden nearly 14 years ago, those selections would have helped Gruden put a team on the field that may have allowed him to do better than 60-57 in Tampa.

Ultimately, this one comes down to: (1) whether the Titans want Kelly; and (2) whether Kelly wants the Titans. The Eagles likely wouldn’t force Kelly to stay for another year, especially if what has become a disastrous third season continues.
---------
The Titans could have to get in line behind LSU and USC among others.

Given LSU just raised eight figures to buy out Les Miles (certain to happen as early as late Saturday night) and USC may have to beat both UCLA this week and if they do Stanford next week (latter in the Pac-12 title game) and Maryland has the money (thanks to the founder of Under Armour being the Terps’ biggest booster), the line of schools looking to knock down the Eagles’ door looking for Chip could be long with potentially a bidding war for Chip, especially if Texas gets into the mix.

I would not be surprised where a school goes as far as to buy out the remainder of Chip’s contract with the Eagles to land him (yes a university actually paying to buy out an NFL contract to land a coach they want).
-----------
Bill Walsh was 2-14, 6-10 in his first two year in SF. These days the fans would have been calling for his head midway through season 2.

And Cleveland decided that Belichick sucked as a coach.

I admit the product on the field looks like crap, but the biggest thing killing Kelly this year has been Bradford’s poor play / injuries.
---------
I don’t think any coach should be fired, when that coach’s starting QB was Bradford. Then again, Kelly did trade for Bradford.

The Uggles need to trade up for Goff this offseason.
--------
Chip Kelley is steve spurrier part deux. Only fatter
--------
I have zero invested in the Eagles or NFC East, so I am looking at this purely from an outsider’s perspective, but if I am in ownership there is zero way Kelly survives to the next game after today’s turd show. They play New England in Foxboro next. If Jameis and Stafford both dropped 40+ on him, imagine what Belichik and Brady are going to do.

Lurie needs to fire this fraud before he gets on the plane home today, give Pat Shurmur or Duece Staley the keys for the rest of the year, and start work on the 5+ year rebuild that involves molding a real franchise QB, crafting an OL, and returning a winning culture to Philly football. This is sad to watch.
--------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/26/lions-dominate-as-eagles-quit-on-chip-kelly/

Lions dominate as Eagles quit on Chip Kelly
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 26, 2015

After the Eagles’ debacle last week against the Buccaneers, there was talk that their Thanksgiving game against the Lions would be a referendum on Chip Kelly.

The verdict is in: The Eagles have quit on their coach.

In an epic 45-14 beatdown in Detroit, Kelly’s team was embarrassed before a national audience, falling behind the Lions in the second quarter and never putting up much of a fight after that.

Eagles quarterback Mark Sanchez will get a lot of the criticism, but there’s plenty of criticism to go around. His offensive line didn’t help him, his receivers didn’t help him and running back DeMarco Murray continues to look totally out of place in Kelly’s offense.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford had by far his best game of the season, as did receiver Calvin Johnson. Stafford threw five touchdown passes, three of them to Megatron, marking the second week in a row that the Eagles’ defense allowed the opposing quarterback to throw five touchdown passes.

Jim Caldwell has his Lions playing good football despite an ugly 1-7 start. They’re now 4-7 and showing that they’re going to be a tough team to beat down the stretch.

But the Eagles look beaten. They’re now 4-7 as well, and with a tough remaining schedule (New England, Buffalo, Arizona, Washington and the New York Giants) they could easily finish 4-12. Which would likely result in Kelly getting fired.