Is Chip Kelly on the way out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think you must have quoted me by mistake....

Kelly made the playoffs in his first year, with Nick Foles as his QB.

That's my mistake, I took that as a rip on Foles...My bad...Because most now bash him with the It wasn't Foles, it was the system thing since he now is the sorriest QB in the history of professional football...I was wrong to take your post in that respect...

Last edited:

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I don't know if he bought into the hype, or not..I think he brought the arrogance with him. He was/is like Martz was in a way after a Super Bowl win. He believed that conventional wisdom didn't apply to him...He was smarter than everyone in the room, and that players are interchangable cogs in his machine, and easily replaced The system is all.....Events have pulled the curtain aside, and the Great Wizard of Philly, is just a little man,...

Excellent points. Agree with everything you said. The Martz comparison is right on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's my mistake, I took that as a rip on Foles...My bad...Because most now bash him with the It wasn't Foles, it was the system thing since he now is the sorriest QB in the history of professional football...I was wrong to take your post in that respect...
Its all good man.
I'm at the point that I just dont know if we can evaluate any QB that plays in this system, or WR for that matter.
Foles was incredible and pedestrian in Philly. Figured he would be somewhere in between with us. Dont know how he could go from 1 of the best statistical years in NFL history, to the worst starting QB in the league within 2 years

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gotta disagree, it is rather obvious that long term plan, at least at the NFL level, is not Chips strength. Maybe if you just kept him as coach that would be fine, but Chip has control over personnel (contracts) and like most coaches you get into that part of running an organization poor decisions are made. His offseason moves this year were beyond bad, and honestly he doesn't seem like the sort to either lose power or admit mistake and learn for the future. (honestly this is an area I believe JF has delved too deep into - I tend to think the Foles contract extension and Cooks contracts were do to his heavy influence)
Yeah he was a genius his first year, jacked up QB the next and tried a deal to upgrade with Bradford. All the other stuff with the players who knows. Most of these guys have been pampered so long they feel butt hurt when someone tells them they aren't really as great as they thought. I think the Ram FO situation is just fine and light years ahead of where it was, even though I hated the Foles extension

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To the people that want Chip Kelly in St. Louis, did you not see him destroy the Eagles roster over the past two years? Is that really what you want?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He is like any other coach. Give him a good QB and he is in the playoffs every year. Without one he is Joe Schmo.

You mean, like Nick Foles?
ahahahahahah... I knew Chip was crazy when he cut D-Jax....I mean, after his best year...And say what you want about Jackson, but he's a solid dude outta Long Beach, not looking for any trouble...To try and smear him...sheesh

I say Chip grabs RGIII & Kaepernick and rebuilds his offense in his own image....OR

He comes to USC...man do they have some weapons!!! If they're QB Browne can play....the Freshman...whew, Watch out!!!!!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I want Kelly in St. Louis, recruiting for his Mizzou team!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
To the people that want Chip Kelly in St. Louis, did you not see him destroy the Eagles roster over the past two years? Is that really what you want?

The irony is there are probably some people in Philly that would want Jeff Fisher because in the end people want what they don't have and because the Rams have no offense most feel Kelly would bring that at the very minimum.

It's not easy selecting a Head Coach I used to think it was, but the Rams have tried it three ways of late. They went with a low profile OC in milquetoast Linehan and then went high profile defensive coordinator with Napoleon Spagnuolo and finally felt they found the right guy with previous Head Coaching experience and well respected throughout the league in Jeff Fisher.

What's next, college? Not sure anymore, but for all intents and purposes the Rams have tried three different roads and are no better off then they were back in 2006 when they passed on Ron Rivera and Mike Zimmer for the stammering Linehan.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Kelly might be the coach hat Mizzou is looking for! Just throwing thi out there for any opinions! SEC head coach might just be the ticket for him!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
ahahahahahah... I knew Chip was crazy when he cut D-Jax....I mean, after his best year...And say what you want about Jackson, but he's a solid dude outta Long Beach, not looking for any trouble...To try and smear him...sheesh

I say Chip grabs RGIII & Kaepernick and rebuilds his offense in his own image....OR

He comes to USC...man do they have some weapons!!! If they're QB Browne can play....the Freshman...whew, Watch out!!!!!

LOL champ are you outta yer mind......Griffin and Kaepernick???

Who the hell would want that duo LOL..... in two years they may both be out of the NFL.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Kelly might be the coach hat Mizzou is looking for! Just throwing thi out there for any opinions! SEC head coach might just be the ticket for him!

I read that as

Kelly might be the asshat Mizzou is looking for! Just throwing thi out there for any opinions! SEC head coach might just be the ticket for him!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The irony is there are probably some people in Philly that would want Jeff Fisher because in the end people want what they don't have and because the Rams have no offense most feel Kelly would bring that at the very minimum.

It's not easy selecting a Head Coach I used to think it was, but the Rams have tried it three ways of late. They went with a low profile OC in milquetoast Linehan and then went high profile defensive coordinator with Napoleon Spagnuolo and finally felt they found the right guy with previous Head Coaching experience and well respected throughout the league in Jeff Fisher.

What's next, college? Not sure anymore, but for all intents and purposes the Rams have tried three different roads and are no better off then they were back in 2006 when they passed on Ron Rivera and Mike Zimmer for the stammering Linehan.

They could just hire a great coach. That would be an option they didn't try. ;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What Eagles Fans Are Saying About Chip Kelly
http://forums.philly.com/discussion..._is_sickening/kr-eagles/179663.1?nav=messages

Mob mentality media regarding Chip, is sickening!

Chip earned it. He acted like a third world dictator. You do that and fail, you get the Mussolini in Piazzele Loreto treatment.

I just hope he sticks it out another year. I don't want him high tailing out and leaving this mess to the next guy without cap space and a 2nd round pick.
--------
I agree. He did earn it. If you want to be snide and arrogant in every press conference you have to have results like Bellichek.
--------
The media's reaction is the way it is because of how Chip treats them and talks to them.

The media wouldn't care so much if Chip was winning, but to be an arrogant pompous jerk to the media when ur team stinks will create a mob mentality.

If BB starts losing the media will kill him because how he treats them. But since BB continued to win they can't.
--------
Anyway, I agree with what you're all saying in regard to Chip being arrogant, and other choice words, but I still find it a bit ridiculous hearing certain media heads telling us what Chip Kelly will be doing after this season. I'm not sure how they know? You know that moronic ####? He started dogging Chip before he ever coached his first NFL game. I'm sure he feels super excited, right about now.

Again, nothing looks good right now regarding the Eagles and Chip Kelly, but shouldn't we as fans HOPE this all ends up working out? If not, the next coach COULD possibly be even worse, and with no real qb, and the loss of a 2nd round pick...I kind of hope Chip sticks around at least one more season, before off with his head.
--------
http://forums.philly.com/discussion...t_locker_room/kr-eagles/179665.1?nav=messages

Agent for Eagles starter says Chip has lost locker room

From an NJ.c o m article by Matt Lombardo.

"Kelly has lost the team," said the agent, who requested anonymity because of fear of retribution against his client. "Between the losses and his bull[bleep] methods that aren't working, I can tell you that the players have tuned him out."

Well that's certainly not good.
---------
Not surprising
--------
This is pretty much what Schlereth and Billick said would happen. You treat men like boys, things will fall apart and fall apart quick the moment you start losing.
-------
Any truth to the rumor that University of Maryland is going out all this offseason to land big time coach? Their deal with Under Armour gives them plenty of cash to overpay. Could it be Chip?
--------
The name being talked about is Bill O'Brien. Like Chip he's a college coach. Like Chip he's in the hot seat in the NFL. Unlike Chip he's bit less of a one trick pony. Not as sexy a name, but a quality coach. And he has Maryland ties, he was an assistant for them during the Friedgen years.

Chip will want to go somewhere prestigious. USC or Texas if I had to guess. If Maryland is lucky they'll get O'Brien.
-------
How ironic is this? In the offseason it was all about Chip bringing in HIS guys who BOUGHT what he was selling? Now it seems he would have been better off keeping the guys who gave him talk back, because at least they made plays in Chip's system.

Now I'm starting to see the big reason for Chip's success. It all started with Mike Vick. Vick had a golden opportunity because of Chip. Vick got all those other guys to give Chip a chance, just like Chip gave Vick and Cooper another chance. Now Chip got rid of guys who bought in because of Vick. They're mostly all gone, and these new guys are like what the heck is this nonsense???

I just hope Captain anonymous isn't Howie Rosebudd...
---------
http://forums.philly.com/discussion..._need_to_know/kr-eagles/179666.1?nav=messages

SI article says all you need to know

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/24/chip-kelly-eagles-turmoil-nfl-week-12
--------
This is Chip's response to his play calling being the problem-

“I think we’ve been varied in our two games, and through our preseason and everything, we’ve been doing a different job, changing formations and things like that," Kelly said in September. “When you’re not successful, I think guys are grasping at excuses, to be honest with you. We still need to block and tackle. What I’m saying is we need to execute.

You know when a team is in Tampa-2; they’re going to slant their 3 and 7 technique [defensive linemen]. When they do it, it’s not a surprise to us. Everybody has predictabilities and tendencies going into every game. That’s just part of the game. Everybody kind of does what they do.”

And that my friends, is Chip Kelly.
--------
Lane Johnson agreed with that on the radio yesterday. He said the scheme is fine but when you go back and look at the film it's a guy here and there missing a block or running a poor route etc, etc...
-------
Ceding the time of possession battle and being predictable are two things that can never be considered part of good 'schemes'. It's possible this whole thing works once you add the option read threat to the mix, but it's clear from what we've seen so far the scheme is definitely a problem.
--------
Yeah I wouldn't say it is great either but execution has also been a huge part of the problem as well as we've seen. Either way it all comes back on Kelly. He makes the scheme and picks the players so it's all on him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They could just hire a great coach. That would be an option they didn't try. ;)

Les Miles is available! He don't come cheap though!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Who the hell would want that duo LOL
I told you, Chip is crazy....

Still don't think Kaep is a flop...He did things to Green Bay in the playoffs that I still remember...Almost won that superbowl....either that or Harbaugh is a wizard...

The funny thing is what he did on defense...that corner from Seattle...I told:argue: some seahawk fans he was garbage:puke:, he just benefited by having Sherm on the other side, which allowed Thomas to play over the top on Maxwell....They rode me to death, on how good he was...Kiko....who trades a top 5 RB for LB coming off an ACL? Arrogance doesn't begin to explain his madness:mrburnsevil:....:burp:

and really...RGIII intrigues me....Not sure why...He's too little for my tastes, but he threw a mean deep ball....He just holds onto it entirely too long...Think he's trying to get to Dallas or Houston...the funny way...acting crazy:seizure:, and hopeful someone will save him.