Is Chip Kelly on the way out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I totally agree he's ruined the team, but disagree he took over one of the NFL great teams. Team was so bad they fired the same coach you just mentioned for how he let the team slide
As a HC I think he did a pretty darned good job of maximizing the talent they had. As a GM he's done a great job eliminating said talent and replacing with JAG for no apparent reason
I don't think we're going to agree that Reid was a bad coach. Nobody in the league thinks that. Bad coaches don't have multiple two-digit win totals, and bad coaches don't take over a 2-14 Chiefs team and get them to 11 wins the following year. Most of us need to look beyond W/L totals and find out why things happen the way they did. As far as his GM moves, the guys he cut loose aren't really doing anything with their new teams. On the outside his personnel moves look bad, but he's been sentenced now after 10 games of having total control of his personnel decisions. I think most of the problem is that the league has figured him out and are better equipped to defend his offense. Which is why I mentioned previously that everyone wants to be an innovator, but it's a short-lived career choice. Football always circles back to tradition and what proves to work over time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think you're crazy. But to each their own.

It's just worth pointing out that Fisher took one of the worst teams in football and built it up into a pretty good team (without a QB). Chip Kelly took one of the best teams in football and destroyed it in two off-seasons.

And now Chip Kelly's offense has been figured out which only makes matters worse.

I have a ton of complaints about Fisher...but he helped build this team up from nothing. And I'll be eternally grateful for that. He just can't get it to the next level imo. Chip Kelly tore his team apart.

So I'd rather watch Fisher's boring brand of football with him building a talented team than watch Kelly's exciting brand of football while he destroys a team.

That exciting brand of football really only lasted a season and a half. Halfway through the year last season it fell apart. From last years bye week to the end of the year they were a .500 team and the wins were v. poor teams. Add that onto this year and he ruined that team in a year and a half.

It goes back to what I said earlier. You can't trade away/cut the guys who were making your system work and then expect your system to work. That's his arrogance..........this is a guy who said he cold plug any QB in and make it work, then proved himself wrong.

Kelly will never work in the NFL again you can bet on that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think we're going to agree that Reid was a bad coach. Nobody in the league thinks that. Bad coaches don't have multiple two-digit win totals, and bad coaches don't take over a 2-14 Chiefs team and get them to 11 wins the following year. Most of us need to look beyond W/L totals and find out why things happen the way they did. As far as his GM moves, the guys he cut loose aren't really doing anything with their new teams. On the outside his personnel moves look bad, but he's been sentenced now after 10 games of having total control of his personnel decisions. I think most of the problem is that the league has figured him out and are better equipped to defend his offense. Which is why I mentioned previously that everyone wants to be an innovator, but it's a short-lived career choice. Football always circles back to tradition and what proves to work over time.
We are in total agreement on Reid, I think he's a great coach. But the team did slide (mostly because he was dealing with family issues) and they had some cap problems due to FA spending (Vince Young "best team in league")
In any event, the team was headed for trouble and far from one of the best in the league. That's my only contention, the team was not very good
On the personel side we just have to agree to disagee here, as I think if Maclin, Jackson and McCoy are still on the team, they're still an offensive juggernaut.
I look at what Kelly has done with the personnel and feel lik he's doing a Mike Sullivan (From Sleepers) on the Eagles. Seemingly working for them, while privately in cohoots to take them down.... Lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean the 2012 Eagles team that finished 4-12 with the 29th ranked defense and 29th ranked offense was one of the best teams in football?
Kelly has ruined the team with his personnel decisions, no doubt. As for his coaching ability? Yeah I think he's pretty good there.

Eh...one of the best might be an overstatement. But it was a good team missing a QB when Reid left. You have to keep in mind the injuries and poor QB play they had in 2012. They still had DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek, LeSean McCoy, Jason Peters, Evan Mathis, Todd Herremans, and Jason Kelce on that team.(and more) These guys were all key contributors for Kelly on offense. In addition to that, Reid drafted Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry, Brandon Boykin, and Mychal Kendricks in that draft. He also had brought in Cedric Thornton, DeMeco Ryans, Trent Cole, and Nate Allen in prior years. They had a ton of youth on defense that ended up developing into key contributors for Kelly.

If you look at the 2012 Eagles, they had a ton of talent on offense (except for the QB position) but suffered a ton of injuries. And on defense, they mainly had young players or overpaid free agents.

I'm not saying the team was perfect...but it was a very talented team. Reid made some errors going all in during FA. But the 2012 Eagles were not nearly as far off as their record appeared. They were a QB, some time/experience on the defensive side of the ball, and not getting decimated by injuries offensively from being a good team. Kelly didn't go in there and remake the team. The offense was almost unchanged.(Lane Johnson as the starting RT and Zach Ertz as the #2 TE were the only major changes) And yes, it's impressive what he did with Nick Foles that year...but that obviously didn't continue after defenses adjusted to his scheme. But they already had one of the most talented offenses in the league. The defense was a pretty mediocre unit but they did have some young talent.

Basically, it was a quality team...and he tore it apart. But I'll agree that one of the best was an overstatement. With a good QB, they would have been. But they didn't have a good QB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Bradfords@Cheatriots this Sunday. Should be interesting. :)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/02/sam-bradford-expects-to-start-this-weekend/

Sam Bradford expects to return this weekend
Posted by Josh Alper on December 2, 2015

498067658-e1449089529999.jpg
Getty Images

Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford has missed the last two games after suffering a concussion and left shoulder injury in the team’s Week 10 loss to the Dolphins, but it looks like his absence from the lineup will be coming to an end.

Bradford threw on Tuesday and coach Chip Kelly said that it would be a “big test” to see how he responded to that at Wednesday’s practice. It appears Bradford passed the test because he was a full participant in that session and was left feeling positive about his status for this week.

Bradford said that he expects to play against the Patriots barring any setbacks.

“I feel much better than I did at this point last week,” Bradford said, via ESPN.com. “I’m much more comfortable out there with what I’ve been able to do on the field. It’s starting to feel good.”

Mark Sanchez didn’t play well in Bradford’s place as the Eagles were pasted by a combined score of 90-31 in their last two games, but Bradford’s play before getting injured and the state of the defense do little to suggest that the quarterback’s return will lead to an immediate change of fortunes in Philadelphia.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
RFIP is that you?

Nope. That's my crush on Brockers, even though I'm purely lesbian. That's why I absolutely panicked when I thought he was being dealt to the Bears.