Is Brandon Staley more than halfway through his Rams career?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Honestly... it's just a saying I picked up on as a kid. I first heard it from my Grandparent's neighbor. He was a salt of the earth country boy and Florida native. I remember asking him what it means too.

So it's really something I've been saying since I was a kid.

This Swearengin character must be Southern I'm guessing? LOL
It’s definitely a southern thing. I use it all the time. The premise of course is not much milk to be had at the end of the line. :whistle:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It’s definitely a southern thing. I use it all the time. The premise of course is not much milk to be had at the end of the line. :whistle:

Yep

That's the tit that the runts are left with... and it's true... the hind tit doesn't produce as much.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The thing we have going for us is teams wanting to hire offensive-minded coaches right now.

True, plus you have to factor in College Head Coaches too with the success of Rhule. Staley being a former College Quarterback does give him an edge there, however, I concur defensive coaches have less of a chance as last year there were six new Head Coaches hired, Ron Rivera was defensive, but he was a former Head Coach only Kevin Stefanski (Offense) & Joe Judge (Special Teams) were first time Head Coaches tabbed, in 2019 there were six first time Head Coaches hired & 2 were defensive assistants in Brian Flores (Dolphins) & Vic Fangio (Broncos).

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW if this does come to fruition, guess I will start rooting for the Broncos to lose so the Rams can hire Vic Fangio as their new DC.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
BTW if this does come to fruition, guess I will start rooting for the Broncos to lose so the Rams can hire Vic Fangio as their new DC.
What a wonderful great working brain you have:fistbump::) I will begin doing that this weekend. Vic was in Ca back in 2010 thru 2014 with the 9ers.

That may even work out better long term for the Ram Org. with McVay/Fangio combo!

Honestly... it's just a saying I picked up on as a kid. I first heard it from my Grandparent's neighbor. He was a salt of the earth country boy and Florida native. I remember asking him what it means too.

So it's really something I've been saying since I was a kid.

This Swearengin character must be Southern I'm guessing? LOL
Al said he had been in the 1860-70 Chicagoan location.... Al was also held up for ransom & had to pay bribes to local politicians in local Montana & Dakota territories on a murder charge warrant facing him from Chicago........

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That may even work out better long term for the Ram Org. with McVay/Fangio combo!

I concur, but I'm giving both Staley & Fangio one more year and then in 2022 I believe that could become reality. I know McVay thinks very highly of Fangio so it's very possible, but as always with high profile Assistants the stars have to align.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I can’t see losing him yet. For starters, he’s been our DC for 8 games. Just start with that.

Second; no matter how impressive the defense, it is not exactly a bare cupboard with Donald and Ramsey. If I am an owner, I want to see a larger body of work.

And I never thought of the point by @jrry32 being a defensive coordinator he’s less sexy... and that probably makes it even more important the resume is deeper.
I agree.
However. We've already lost 1st year Offensive Coordinators that didn't even call plays.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Nagy must love seeing articles like this. LOL

It doesn't matter who they have at HC... they don't have a QB. They will continue to suck hind tit until that is corrected.
I would think that Staley would consider this if he were offered the job. Wait until he gets a better situation. Once you're branded as a losing head coach, it's tough to shake it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The thing we have going for us is teams wanting to hire offensive-minded coaches right now.
Steve Wilks, Matt Patricia, Todd Bowles are definitely the exception and not the rule it seems. Let's hope it stays that way.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would think that Staley would consider this if he were offered the job. Wait until he gets a better situation. Once you're branded as a losing head coach, it's tough to shake it.

If the Bears offer, he goes. They are a team that can win now with that defense. Offensively, they can find a competent QB this off-season.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
where are these rumors coming from. if they are from ram fans not as worried as if they are coming from bears fans

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
where are these rumors coming from. if they are from ram fans not as worried as if they are coming from bears fans

Whether the rumor is founded or not is somewhat irrelevant. I posted the article because:

It mentions that Nagy might be fired if they miss the playoffs and I think he should be - offensive coach with an offense that bad

People in league circles thinking Staley would be a good HC

His connection to the Bears and familiarity with many of their players

His age and the growing trend of hiring younger coaches - this has mostly been offense, but McDermott is crushing it in Buffalo.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Whether the rumor is founded or not is somewhat irrelevant. I posted the article because:

It mentions that Nagy might be fired if they miss the playoffs and I think he should be - offensive coach with an offense that bad

People in league circles thinking Staley would be a good HC

His connection to the Bears and familiarity with many of their players

His age and the growing trend of hiring younger coaches - this has mostly been offense, but McDermott is crushing it in Buffalo.

imho i think where the rumors are coming from is relevant because if they are coming from ram fans it could be just fear of losing another coordinator but if they are coming from league sources i am definitely more worried.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
So no one wants to talk about Pelissero's NFL.com article?

The Sports Mockery post is all about speculation based on Pelissero's addition of Staley to his Young Coaches to Watch list (link). Really, checking out the other names on that list, to me, Staley isn't the best candidate for the Bears -- I mean Lincoln Riley and Joe Brady would probably move the needle more. John DeFilippo is on a later part of Pelissero's list, but seems to have all those Chicago connections that the Sports Mockery post seems to think are important.

Anyhow, the end of Pelissero's article is where he lists other coaches to watch in the coming years. Pelissero includes:
  • Rams RB coach Thomas Brown, 34
  • Rams safeties coach Ejiro Evero, 39
  • Rams OC Kevin O'Connell, 35
  • Rams CB coach Aubrey Pleasant, 34
  • Rams pass game coordinator Shane Waldron, 41
Staley isn't the only Rams coach that the NFL is paying attention to and by the end of the season, he might not be the most likely Rams coordinator to get a HC gig.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heck if the Bears wanted to dip in to the College ranks for a head coach, they could look right in their own back yard at Pat Fitzgerald. 9 winning seasons and 9 Bowl Games in 14 seasons, for a team that had only 9 winning seasons in the previous 50 years, and only 5 bowl appearances in the school's history

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Staley is smart, and he certainly appears to be, go to a team that has an offense or at least a young QB or an established QB, and needs just a defensive overhaul.

Thinking Chargers, Vikings, Jets (although FO is a concern), Jags if they get a top two pick, Eagles, and Atlanta.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Harbaugh to Bears is a real rumour as per Jason Smith Fox sports talk show on Thursday.

If Staley is smart, he should in my opinion stay for another year and soak up as much McVay as he can