Is Brandon Staley more than halfway through his Rams career?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flint

Pro Bowler
There have been several DCs and ST coaches who could have become HCs and decided against it. I can't for the life of me recall, but I think the ST coach for Reid in KC is one and I think Fritz Shurmur could qualify as that insofar as he was a DC for 19 years and I know he had offers at various points, but preferred to stay a DC.

Also, Brandon Staley isn't a Type A personality...at least not from how he's portrayed by his players and in interviews.

I could see him staying or going, but it wouldn't shock me if he stayed.
Seems like there’s a pipeline being established from the rams staff to a head coaching gig, I’d be surprised if Staley decided to turn down offers, he’s a young guy why wouldn’t he give it a shot? Besides, it’s hard to get back on the hot coordinator list once you’re off, also Staley was a qb, I would imagine he’s still interested in offense.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Seems like there’s a pipeline being established from the rams staff to a head coaching gig, I’d be surprised if Staley decided to turn down offers, he’s a young guy why wouldn’t he give it a shot? Besides, it’s hard to get back on the hot coordinator list once you’re off, also Staley was a qb, I would imagine he’s still interested in offense.
We're all speculating since none of us actually know Staley or his desires past this season. Could he accept a head coaching gig if offered to him? Sure. Could he also just decide that, at the moment, it's best for him to get another season or two under one of the best head coaches in the game? Sure. No one really knows but it's pretty silly to dismiss any of the above possibilities because you simply don't know.

There's this assumption that coordinators are DYING to become head coaches and, while that may apply to many, doesn't apply to everyone. There's a pretty big difference in being a coordinator and responsible for one facet of the team and being a head coach where you have to command the entire team (including staff), shoulder wins and losses, make tough managerial decisions and deal with the media ad nauseam.

All we can realistically say at this point is that he's proven he can take a defense that he didn't build and turn it into one of the best in the league. There's a lot to be said about a guy who can do that and I wouldn't dismiss his chances of getting some head coaching interest.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The downside of finding a good coordinator. If he's that good you're gonna lose him to a head coaching gig. Staley had no DC experience. McVay wanted to be more involved with the defense. We all know McVay a really smart guy. How much of Staley's success is from McVay's influence? I hope its a lot. That would mean our head coach is not only good with offense, he knows a lot about defense too.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
The downside of finding a good coordinator. If he's that good you're gonna lose him to a head coaching gig. Staley had no DC experience. McVay wanted to be more involved with the defense. We all know McVay a really smart guy. How much of Staley's success is from McVay's influence? I hope its a lot. That would mean our head coach is not only good with offense, he knows a lot about defense too.

How much of Staley's success is from McVay's influence? How about ZERO?

As for McVay, he should spend his time concentrating on his offense which is under performing last years poor performance.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If Staley is smart, and I certainly think that he is, he will resist any HC interviews and stick with McVay and listen and learn from a gifted HC for at least another season, maybe two.

In this way he will be best prepared to be an instant success as a HC elsewhere When he does get the ‘right’ offer. LaFleur is an excellent example of such a strategy.

Meanwhile, this strategy also enables Staley to pick and choose from only the best of opportunities as they present themselves. Nothing better than being able to negotiate from a position of strength.

There is no need to rush. He is in the perfect situation right now, he’s only 39 years old with his whole life before him.

Finally, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Kroenke were to approve a juicy raise for Staley in the interim to ‘make it worth his while’.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Staley gets offered a HC job, he takes it. No way you turn that down, because you never know if the opportunity will come up again. Look at Dave Toub in KC, he's interviewed for years and hasnt gotten a gig.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Staley gets offered a HC job, he takes it. No way you turn that down, because you never know if the opportunity will come up again. Look at Dave Toub in KC, he's interviewed for years and hasnt gotten a gig.
Again, Kathy Bates style hobbling is the only solution...

TXRams86

The Infamous
But then again you also have assholes like Josh McDaniels who prove nothing during their first head coaching stint, pull out of a second one yet still get considered for the position today. Definitely not saying he's the rule, he's very much the exception.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But then again you also have assholes like Josh McDaniels who prove nothing during their first head coaching stint, pull out of a second one yet still get considered for the position today. Definitely not saying he's the rule, he's very much the exception.
So true. When he spurned the Colts I remember the outrage, there were so many saying he'd never get another shot. And yet here he is, likely to be in on many of the openings. Norv Turner was another one, how many jobs did that dude get? He wasnt an a-hole like McD, but his reputation far exceeded his performance

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm guessing Staley's feeling good and like he's in a good place rn--crossed my mind that maybe his cancer experience will cause him to steer clear of the stresses and responsibilities of a HC for the time being, who knows.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Top 10 NFL defenses for the 2020 season: Steelers, Saints lead the field
Top 10 NFL defenses for the 2020 season
Published: Dec 10, 2020 at 11:58 AM
Nick Shook

Rank#3
Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams
8-4

The Rams have Aaron Donald, who is again causing raging headaches for opposing offenses along the interior, but Los Angeles' best all-around position group is the secondary.

L.A. is first in passing yards allowed per game (198.3), second in total yards allowed per game, second in third-down percentage and ninth in interception rate. The Rams' -4.7 completion percentage over expectation ranks No. 2 in the NFL (trailing only Pittsburgh), their 12 interceptions rank fourth and their 78.6 opposing passer rating allowed is second.

It never hurts to line up Jalen Ramsey against the opposition's best receiving threat, but credit is due to the ascendance of youngsters like rookie Jordan Fuller and Darious Williams, who have bolstered Los Angeles' secondary and helped it become a deep and feisty group.

And when we circle back to Donald, the numbers hold up for Los Angeles' defensive front. The Rams are tied for sixth in QB pressure percentage (27.8), rank seventh in disruptions (140) and are tied for the third-most sacks as a team with 36. Donald predictably plays a large role in this production, accounting for 53 disruptions, 11 sacks and three turnovers caused by pressure. Believe it or not, these Rams are a complete unit.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
If Staley interviews well, Rams will be looking for a new DC in the off-season