If we were to get a new head coach who would you want

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
HC - Dick Vermiel
OC - Mike Martz
DC - Dick LeBeau

and 3 cryonics machines on the sidelines.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want guys who are internally motivated. All day every day. In sports and in business.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't want to sidetrack the thread. (too late?) :)

From my perspective, I wouldn't want to be labeled a players coach for the reasons mentioned. And I don't want one for our next coach if Stan decides to go in a different direction.

As I said, internal motivation has its limits. In football, you need external motivation along with the internal motivation. That's why leadership is so important.

I would love to be labeled a player's coach. As long as I'm also seen as a brilliant mind.

Thread isn't being sidetracked as long as we're talking about what we want in our next coach. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I prefer to keep Fisher and force his hand with a new OC. If he refuses I would fire him. But he wouldn't, and in fact I am certain he will come to the conclusion on his own that Schotty is not going to maximize his offensive talent. Also, note that this staff does have some excellent coaches, cleaning house would be silly just gotta get the offensive brain trust fixed so we're not easily shut down every week. Defensively Williams is in his first year, he gets a second year period and when this defense does arrive we don't have to worry about anyone hiring him away.

If I had to replace Fish, I would dip into the college ranks. Key is that they are a guy who outcoaches his peers given his talent level. There are several at that level who could get it done at the NFL level and I very much prefer a guy who has run the whole show even in college over a hot assistant who probably lacks the experience to succeed his first look.

What about assistants that have been interim HC or a HC like Hue Jackson, Todd Bowles, and Jim Tomsula?

Alan

Legend
Knute Rockne.
220px-KNUTE-ROCKNE-ALL-AMERICAN.jpg

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
My high school coach. He was really good. If he's busy, I liked AD's high school coach. Seemed like a nice guy. Got a lot out of AD.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As I said, internal motivation has its limits. In football, you need external motivation along with the internal motivation. That's why leadership is so important.

I would love to be labeled a player's coach. As long as I'm also seen as a brilliant mind.

Thread isn't being sidetracked as long as we're talking about what we want in our next coach. ;)

What constitutes a players coach ?

Was Fisher a pushover when he had Janoris Jenkins running steps at Candlestick ?

To me a "players coach" is nothing more or less than one the players believe they can identify with, not one who lets them do as they please .
I prefer self motivators ,I prefer to appeal to the player on a cognitive basis ,I think it's more effective and lasts well past the rah rah or ass chewing , the thing is though each player is different in what makes them respond. For me it boils down to two basic forms of motivation faith and fear, a leader / coach has to be able to wield both or the universe of players / followers he can lead is limited .

I'd classify the label "payers coach " as falling under the classification of faith which in times of trouble are to me the more reassuring, if a player is already getting his ass kicked on the field ,I've never thought kicking his ass on the sideline was very constructive but that's not a universal answer , there are people who just have to have a kick in the pants and IMO on a roster of players the size of an NFL roster there are bound to be all types, players identify with a coach who knows WHEN to administer the kick ,which I think our current coach has demonstrated he knows on many occasions.

The mistake that was made when we fired Martz was that the FO believed that Martz's relationship with the team was the same as his relationship with them. It wasn't, so when they hired his replacement they got a guy who WAS a pushover and struck fear in no-one to the extent that he lost the respect of his players who were openly defiant towards him even though he was a pretty good offensive coordinator and deserved some respect for his acumen he lost the ability to get his point across.
As I look back on the Spags era I regard him as having been a victim of circumstance in the three year standard that some are now ready to try to impose upon Fisher. IMO Spags made some horrendous decisions that he may well have not made had he been able to take a longer term view because he wasn't coaching for his job under that three year standard .
I have always said I personally would not take a job as an NFL head coach on a 4 year contract, because teams hardly ever fire a coach with two years left on their contract and prefer not to let a coach continue without an extension into their final year.
This year has shaped up as much a disaster on the injury front as Spags final year and we've already won as many games as that team did thankfully Fisher hasn't been under the same contractual conditions and has been able to plan for the future more than his predecessor was able to so regardless the outcome of this season next years coach won't be facing the prospect of rebuilding a roster that was made old to try to keep a coach his job.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What constitutes a players coach ?
I'd say Pete Carroll is the poster child of that.
Seems to me that the term "Players Coach" is becoming the coaching version of the term "Game manager QB"
Meaning that it works when we want to discredit a guy, but when an example of a highly successful version of the same is made, the subject changes

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd say Pete Carroll is the poster child of that.
Seems to me that the term "Players Coach" is becoming the coaching version of the term "Game manager QB"
Meaning that it works when we want to discredit a guy, but when an example of a highly successful version of the same is made, the subject changes
I think he tries hard to be, Asshole Face would IMO be another example ,in Percy Harvins case I think Carroll failed expecting his charismatic style to reform him,some guys you can't ,I think Harvin has deep emotional issues that need attention from trained psychological/psychiatric professionals

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Is there any coach in the NFL that stays out of the draft room? There are certainly coaches with less pull on the drafting process but aren't they always a part of the process? If not, it sounds like and awfully dysfunctional relationship.

Ozzie Newsome only allows the coach to pick a QB, nothing else. He used to come on a radio station in CLE all the time because he and the host had a great relationship (even though he is was loyal to Modell who is hated of course) and they used to talk about all sorts of things from the past to present. Drafting came up and he talked about their process and their way of thinking and how it changes from year to year, sometimes area of need sometimes BPA.

He's a fascinating guy and might be the best GM the league has ever seen.