If we were to get a new head coach who would you want

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Harbaugh. He comes off like a tool at times, but he gets results. I also like the fact that in an interview he once said that when he first took over the team he said to his players…”This is a dictatorship. Not a democracy.” Which means you won’t see him being slapped with the label “player’s coach”.

I like Jeff Fisher. Seems like a cool dude. But I’ve heard him described with that label. And I think most of your Super Bowl winning coaches are not “player’s coaches”.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dunno. If I have to look at Harbaugh (either one of them but Jim is worse) on our sideline, I think I might puke or have to find some kind of software to follow him around and blur his face.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Dunno. If I have to look at Harbaugh (either one of them but Jim is worse) on our sideline, I think I might puke or have to find some kind of software to follow him around and blur his face.
Maybe make a virtual hitler moustache on him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Off topic, but I find this theory interesting considering the team he beat was the team he built. So he rode the coat tails of Dungy to a victory over a guy who rode his coat tails to Superbowl loss? Lol

Yeah when I saw that about Gruden it reminded me of something Bum Phillips said about Don Shula:
"he can take his'n and beat your'n or take your'n and beat his'n"

I'm not a Gruden fan,I think he always struggled to develop QB's and lucked into Rich Gannon,but like you say, he developed the very team he beat in the SB and IMO but for a dirty late hit by Tony Siragusa and a bullshit tuck call had that team in contention for SB's time and again and OBTW LOOK what has happened to that franchise since they traded him. Then again look at what has happened to us since we fired Martz.
As far as Martz goes ,as long as Shaw has Kroenke's ear ,we won't be going there.
IMO the Fisher plan is the way to continue ,I'm tired of the knee jerk "three and out ' as Quix puts it , and FWIW think threads about this are always half an inch from going toxic.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I say Bill Cowher or try and Get Az defensive coordinator ive been hearing hes next in line to be a head coach
I'm still on board with Fisher and i hope that Kroenke understands the value and benefit of stability.

Having said that i think that there is a fine line between being too much a players coach and a head coach who's strictly an X's and O's guy who takes that hard line approach who can't really relate to the players. Tom Coughlin is an outstanding old school coach IMO, but he's at the far end of the spectrum compared to Fisher. Both have had success and stability, but both have also had some difficult times. IMO you can't be a HC who can't relate to today's players and ignore what it takes to motivate these young men, but you also can't have a HC who adheres too much to old school mentality, and is slow to adapt to changes and the evolution of the game.

I want to believe that Fisher can stay on top of the modern game. I actually think he could benefit by having some younger assistants on his staff, but what do i know? I do know that players love playing for him, and that's a GOOD THING.

OT but related: I've been in retail mgmt my entire life and i consider myself a "players coach manager." I'm tough on new people. and my expectations are high, but once you prove to me that your work ethic is as strong as your character...then i've got your back. I'm generally not a very well-liked boss at first(Lol) but after awhile my people will run through a wall for me and i don't have to play the micro managing babysitter role. People don't like to be micromanaged, but those same people need to prove that their capable of getting the job done independently.

Todd Bowles has done an amazing job in AZ as their DC. They aren't very talented up front with all those personnel losses, but they have all bought into his system and are succeeding every week. You can also tell that Arians has quickly installed a winning culture there. Hats off to those fuckers.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd mainly like to see some stability in our coaching ranks. I understand the want to win yesterday but systems take time. Completely gutting a roster and then building through the draft can be a bit longer process than the FA route if it works.

I don't like losing either but I am growing very weary of this constant carousel at HC. I don't know if there is a better coach out there. I get how tired Rams fans are of losing. I have been a Rams fan since '67 and I have pretty much been through it all. I would rather see a team built and not torn down every three years. I really believe that Fisher can build this franchise given a bit more time.

I get it if he completely loses the team ala Linny. But for me - I'd like to see a novel approach with our team. And that is to build a sound foundation and system.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, I don't want a college HC unless they were unbelievable in college. Holgorsen and Patterson don't meet that criteria. Gus Malzahn is the only college HC that I'd consider. And even then, it would take a very impressive interview for me to hire him.

Assuming no big name leaves another team unexpectedly, the names I like right now are:
1. Hue Jackson OC Cincinnati Bengals (Look at what he did in Oakland with little talent in 2010)
2. Adam Gase OC Denver Broncos
3. Todd Bowles DC Arizona Cardinals

I would retain Les Snead as GM if Fisher were let go. I think he's done a good job here with drafting. I would give him final say over personnel. That's the last thing I'd hand Hue Jackson. Haha.

I don't want Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, etc.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Maybe make a virtual hitler moustache on him.
I think it's have to be a full on Grizzly Adams to hide that whiney, soiled his pants look he always carries. Some may not think I'm serious but I never liked looking at Linny either and I just have a real problem watching a guy who looks like he is always ready to go fetal and roll around sucking his thumb.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still on board with Fisher and i hope that Kroenke understands the value and benefit of stability.

Having said that i think that there is a fine line between being too much a players coach and a head coach who's strictly an X's and O's guy who takes that hard line approach who can't really relate to the players. Tom Coughlin is an outstanding old school coach IMO, but he's at the far end of the spectrum compared to Fisher. Both have had success and stability, but both have also had some difficult times. IMO you can't be a HC who can't relate to today's players and ignore what it takes to motivate these young men, but you also can't have a HC who adheres too much to old school mentality, and is slow to adapt to changes and the evolution of the game.

I want to believe that Fisher can stay on top of the modern game. I actually think he could benefit by having some younger assistants on his staff, but what do i know? I do know that players love playing for him, and that's a GOOD THING.

OT but related: I've been in retail mgmt my entire life and i consider myself a "players coach manager." I'm tough on new people. and my expectations are high, but once you prove to me that your work ethic is as strong as your character...then i've got your back. I'm generally not a very well-liked boss at first(Lol) but after awhile my people will run through a wall for me and i don't have to play the micro managing babysitter role. People don't like to be micromanaged, but those same people need to prove that their capable of getting the job done independently.

Todd Bowles has done an amazing job in AZ as their DC. They aren't very talented up front with all those personnel losses, but they have all bought into his system and are succeeding every week. You can also tell that Arians has quickly installed a winning culture there. Hats off to those fuckers.

I know man. It pains me to see Arians do such a great job there. I don't want to get too down on Fisher but I wish he could get us to OVERACHIEVE like Arians is doing in AZ. Last year, I think we overachieved after Bradford's injury but this year, I think we're underachieving.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Harbaugh. He comes off like a tool at times, but he gets results. I also like the fact that in an interview he once said that when he first took over the team he said to his players…”This is a dictatorship. Not a democracy.” Which means you won’t see him being slapped with the label “player’s coach”.

I like Jeff Fisher. Seems like a cool dude. But I’ve heard him described with that label. And I think most of your Super Bowl winning coaches are not “player’s coaches”.

I wouldn't consider that a good thing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd keep Fisher.

But I'm getting tired of not scoring points. I'd probably look there for changes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
FWIW think threads about this are always half an inch from going toxic.
I gotta say that I was very concerned about the thread and it going toxic but everyone has really handled it well. This hasn't become a thread about simply firing so and so. I like to think that we can discuss this as just a scenario without actually calling for anybody's head in it all. Coaching changes are always real possibilities in the NFL and as long as we don't fly off the handle, it is just something fans talk about.

I would encourage though that members don't put up multiple threads about this. If that becomes the case, we will probably merge the threads or just delete subsequent threads. Not trying to cut out discussion, just trying to not have this kind of discussion as the main focus of the site.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I wouldn't. I wasn't impressed with him in Tampa Bay.
The more he made that team his own, the worse it got. Maybe there were things going on behind the scenes that affected what Gruden could do but the end result wasn't impressive at all.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Darell Bevell. He would have been a HC this year if Seattle didn't go to SB and teams couldn't interview him. Weaken Seattle too.

Philly5

Rookie
The next Bruce Arians. Don't need a big name that might have once been good. Bring in an offensive mind and assistants that are young and hungry.