If we were to get a new head coach who would you want

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was a coach I wouldn't want to be labeled "players coach." Unless, of course, I was winning multiple Super Bowls. Then I wouldn't care what you called me.

I would. There's a difference between a player's coach and a pushover. You can be regarded as a player's coach without being a pushover. Players love to play for a player's coach and will play their hearts out for them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand all the love for Adam Gase.
Peyton Manning is the Oc in Denver

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If I absolutely couldn't have Fisher anymore,,, which would be a Big Fucking mistake. There's only one guy that I would be happy with, Fish learned from him btw....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I absolutely couldn't have Fisher anymore,,, which would be a Big freaking mistake. There's only one guy that I would be happy with, Fish learned from him btw....

Moustache role model.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Fisher, with Martz as OC!

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No to Gruden, reminds me too much of Child's Play. Also, I hate the way he sounds on Monday night, can't imagine listening to at press conferences.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
I would. There's a difference between a player's coach and a pushover. You can be regarded as a player's coach without being a pushover. Players love to play for a player's coach and will play their hearts out for them.

You just used the word “pushover”. That’s kind of my point. Why did you choose to use that word? Because of what the label “players coach” implies. Doesn’t matter if a coach is a pushover or not. He may be. He may not be. There is a built in perception about a “players coach” that implies they are not as firm or strict as they should be. The label itself invites doubt. Whether it’s justified or not. When I see the Rams committing penalties week in and week out, (Except for last week. Which was nice.) I start to have doubts about Jeff Fisher’s coaching style. Specifically if it’s the right style for a young struggling team.

As far as the idea that players play their heart out for a player’s coach. I’m of the opinion that you’re either motivated or you’re not. You’re a professional. Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells were assholes. Their players played pretty hard for them. It’s just a matter of preference with me.

Personally, I would like stability. So I don’t want to see Jeff fired. But if he starts 1-4, 1-5 again next year, then I’ll probably change my tune.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm a Ray Horton fan. But I really don't think Fisher is the problem.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yeah when I saw that about Gruden it reminded me of something Bum Phillips said about Don Shula:
"he can take his'n and beat your'n or take your'n and beat his'n"

I'm not a Gruden fan,I think he always struggled to develop QB's and lucked into Rich Gannon,but like you say, he developed the very team he beat in the SB and IMO but for a dirty late hit by Tony Siragusa and a bullcrap tuck call had that team in contention for SB's time and again and OBTW LOOK what has happened to that franchise since they traded him. Then again look at what has happened to us since we fired Martz.
As far as Martz goes ,as long as Shaw has Kroenke's ear ,we won't be going there.
IMO the Fisher plan is the way to continue ,I'm tired of the knee jerk "three and out ' as Quix puts it , and FWIW think threads about this are always half an inch from going toxic.
Reading through this particular thread it I'm kind of proud at how well the posts have gone. I agree that these threads can turn toxic, but this particular one has been quite enjoyable to read.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I'm okay with fisher as head coach for now,but I wish that he would bring in a new OC.And fix the QB problem,we win a lot of games if he does that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You just used the word “pushover”. That’s kind of my point. Why did you choose to use that word? Because of what the label “players coach” implies. Doesn’t matter if a coach is a pushover or not. He may be. He may not be. There is a built in perception about a “players coach” that implies they are not as firm or strict as they should be. The label itself invites doubt. Whether it’s justified or not. When I see the Rams committing penalties week in and week out, (Except for last week. Which was nice.) I start to have doubts about Jeff Fisher’s coaching style. Specifically if it’s the right style for a young struggling team.

As far as the idea that players play their heart out for a player’s coach. I’m of the opinion that you’re either motivated or you’re not. You’re a professional. Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells were assholes. Their players played pretty hard for them. It’s just a matter of preference with me.

Personally, I would like stability. So I don’t want to see Jeff fired. But if he starts 1-4, 1-5 again next year, then I’ll probably change my tune.

I used the word pushover because the coaches that fail are pushovers. Just like I'd use the word control freak or something similar for the coaches that fail that aren't seen as player's coaches.

I don't agree that the perception for player's coaches are that they lack firmness or strictness. A player's coach is simply a coach that players are known to love playing for.

I disagree with the opinion that you're motivated or not. As they said in Remember the Titans, "Attitude reflects leadership." Motivation isn't just internal. Guys that don't like their coach are less likely to go to the same extent that guys that love their coach. They're less likely to get motivated by external leadership. Remember our team and Spags or our team and Linehan? Hard to lead when your team doesn't want to follow.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
I used the word pushover because the coaches that fail are pushovers. Just like I'd use the word control freak or something similar for the coaches that fail that aren't seen as player's coaches.

I don't agree that the perception for player's coaches are that they lack firmness or strictness. A player's coach is simply a coach that players are known to love playing for.

I disagree with the opinion that you're motivated or not. As they said in Remember the Titans, "Attitude reflects leadership." Motivation isn't just internal. Guys that don't like their coach are less likely to go to the same extent that guys that love their coach. They're less likely to get motivated by external leadership. Remember our team and Spags or our team and Linehan? Hard to lead when your team doesn't want to follow.

I want guys who are internally motivated. All day every day. In sports and in business.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't want to sidetrack the thread. (too late?) :)

From my perspective, I wouldn't want to be labeled a players coach for the reasons mentioned. And I don't want one for our next coach if Stan decides to go in a different direction.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jim Harbaugh for one day, just to fire him and rehire Jeff Fisher.

Yes, Shotty isn't great and so far Williams defense hasn't taken off, but I never believed we would be a fast turn around in the first place.

I firmly believe that next year we will take a big step and year 5 will be the year we are a serious competitor for a championship run.

Fisher has his flaws, but the truth is he is the first legitimate HC we have had since Vermiel. I was and still am a fan of Martz, but he is not nearly as good as a HC as he is an OC.
I wish Fisher would hire him though...

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
It is no secret that I have never been a big fan of Fisher. That being said, I would not mind giving him a pass with the DV treatment, putting him on notice. Both the OC and DC need to be gone. He needs to evolve or be let go. There should be no such thing as a "player's coach" when you are dealing with the youngest team in the league. It is this passive mindset that will put the Rams in the "unique" position of being the youngest team in the league again next year.

Say what you will about Martz, but since he left, Rams park has been a testicle free zone. Hopefully after a needed and deserved slap down, Fisher will figure it out. If not, the next coach can try their hand with the youngest team in the league.

Sorry about the redundancy of the youngest team in the league thing, but damn that excuse is getting old!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I prefer to keep Fisher and force his hand with a new OC. If he refuses I would fire him. But he wouldn't, and in fact I am certain he will come to the conclusion on his own that Schotty is not going to maximize his offensive talent. Also, note that this staff does have some excellent coaches, cleaning house would be silly just gotta get the offensive brain trust fixed so we're not easily shut down every week. Defensively Williams is in his first year, he gets a second year period and when this defense does arrive we don't have to worry about anyone hiring him away.

If I had to replace Fish, I would dip into the college ranks. Key is that they are a guy who outcoaches his peers given his talent level. There are several at that level who could get it done at the NFL level and I very much prefer a guy who has run the whole show even in college over a hot assistant who probably lacks the experience to succeed his first look.