If not Von... plans B, C, D, etc.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah Gregory going to Denver is a good sign for us. C. Jones is still a FA though i think. Need that domino to fall.

Yeah, my Denver friend is none too happy about it. He REALLY wanted Von to come home.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'm not worried about Dallas and Von.
Yea I mean he loves LA and he has to want to win right? But he is from Texas so going home definitely has appeal. If they offer him more money maybe it gets interesting, but I think this was a leak from his agent after the Gregory signing to try and get a few million more out of us.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Just reported that Von has heavy interest in Dallas. Is the interest real or leverage?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Not for nothing von has been a huge priority for most of us from day one but if he is looling for 18 million or something like a top rusher or using dallas as leverage well thats his right but if I could instead get Chandler Jones cheaper or same id have to do it.

Take a lesson from the Atlanta Braves with Freddie Freeman they tried and tried Freeman wasnt commiting and they blew shit up with acquiring Olson. Von has the right to do what he wants/needs but so do the rams.

And im only saying if your going to go that high then thats the same more or less a Chandler.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not for nothing von has been a huge priority for most of us from day one but if he is looling for 18 million or something like a top rusher or using dallas as leverage well thats his right but if I could instead get Chandler Jones cheaper or same id have to do it.

Take a lesson from the Atlanta Braves with Freddie Freeman they tried and tried Freeman wasnt commiting and they blew shit up with acquiring Olson. Von has the right to do what he wants/needs but so do the rams.

And im only saying if your going to go that high then thats the same more or less a Chandler.
Let's put some numbers to it...

If Von was holding out for $18M+, and we could, instead, sign Jones for $15M (something similar to what Hasaan Reddick received from the Eagles) then, yes, I'd be fine with Jones (particularly if it gave us a better shot at others, like OBJ and maybe Wagner or Jack).

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Let's put some numbers to it...

If Von was holding out for $18M+, and we could, instead, sign Jones for $15M (something similar to what Hasaan Reddick received from the Eagles) then, yes, I'd be fine with Jones (particularly if it gave us a better shot at others, like OBJ and maybe Wagner or Jack).

Totally agree id do it honestly at whatever rate we are willong to pay von. Unless we are lowballing but we dont usually pull shit like that.

The other thing that would be a bit worrisome is AD's reaction. I onow he wants the bag to and deserves it but he kind of put the rams in a bad position. Von seems to be using all that leverage ....i dont know how ugly theae things get over the phone or im a room but woupd be shitty to use that against the rams the ole well AD going to retire etc.... Doesnt seem lile the type but who knows.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Should Von Miller not work-out, one thing to consider is the impact on the formula for compensatory picks.

Re-signing Miller has NO impact to the Rams 2023 comp picks. If they were to sign Chandler Jones as an alternative, that WOULD negatively impact the comp picks the Rams would get in 2023.

Should Miller sign elsewhere, the Rams might consider Za'Darius Smith as an Edge-alternative because he was released by the Packers. Similar to Bobby Wagner (released by Seattle), signing Smith (and/or Wagner) would NOT impact 2023 comp picks.

I think that's right.

Was also hoping Okoronkwo would hold-off signing for a few days (he agreed to a deal with Houston).
If Miller goes elsewhere, thought Obo (with Hollins, Lewis and Garrett) opposite Floyd was a reasonable alternative. Then the Rams could use the money budgeted for Von Miller on another position.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Should Von Miller not work-out, one thing to consider is the impact on the formula for compensatory picks.

Re-signing Miller has NO impact to the Rams 2023 comp picks. If they were to sign Chandler Jones as an alternative, that WOULD negatively impact the comp picks the Rams would get in 2023.

Should Miller sign elsewhere, the Rams might consider Za'Darius Smith as an Edge-alternative because he was released by the Packers. Similar to Bobby Wagner (released by Seattle), signing Smith (and/or Wagner) would NOT impact 2023 comp picks.

I think that's right.

Was also hoping Okoronkwo would hold-off signing for a few days (he agreed to a deal with Houston).
If Miller goes elsewhere, thought Obo (with Hollins, Lewis and Garrett) opposite Floyd was a reasonable alternative. Then the Rams could use the money budgeted for Von Miller on another position.

I agree with this but going with their own philosophy if you lose von and need to appease AD will you find a Chandler Jones at the end of the 3rd round and by the time he is that good AD and Mcvay probably gone lol.

Your opinion honest question how do you compare Smith and Jones overall at doing everything?

I just want Von to stay but also want to be here but we shall see.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Your opinion honest question how do you compare Smith and Jones overall at doing everything?
There are two problems with this very reasonable question.

First, I do not watch Cardinals or Packers games week-in-and-week-out ... so I don't know.

Second, I am really not that bright.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
There are two problems with this very reasonable question.

First, I do not watch Cardinals or Packers games week-in-and-week-out ... so I don't know.

Second, I am really not that bright.

Come on bro you know football lmao...kind of why I was asking for same reasons except the bright part lol

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Come on bro you know football lmao...kind of why I was asking for same reasons except the bright part lol
I'm here for you man.

Jones' last big season was 2019. He had 10.5 sacks this year but five came in Week 1; and three more came in Arizona's two games against the pass-blocking-challenged-Seahawks. I might go with Smith.

As an alternative, I might prefer that they go younger and less expensive with a player like Arden Key, Dorrance Armstrong, or Derek Barnett; and then re-allocate the extra funds that had been budgeted for Miller, and look to add a solid Cornerback to start opposite Ramsey.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm here for you man.

Jones' last big season was 2019. He had 10.5 sacks this year but five came in Week 1; and three more came in Arizona's two games against the pass-blocking-challenged-Seahawks. I might go with Smith.

As an alternative, I might prefer that they go younger and less expensive with a player like Arden Key, Dorrance Armstrong, or Derek Barnett; and then re-allocate the extra funds that had been budgeted for Miller, and look to add a solid Cornerback to start opposite Ramsey.

Thank you brother....so in the equation of AD Smith would be a better all around pick up and not then also obviously effect the comp formula and probably come cheaper.

Well smith it is then lol
I sure hope it does not come to that but I may be a bit greedy but I want to make sure I whomever flanks AD can get the defense up a level like a power up in Mario Brothers and i sure as hell hope AD doesn't threaten retirement should we lose von.

Von could go from hero to villain rather quickly if he left and it caused AD to retire that's just the negative part of the brain speaking.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Before the Og Okoronkwo sign by the Texans, I was hopeful that he would be option A.

Now, as far as adding to the edge in this current free agency I would be looking @ the recently released ER's like Dante Fowler Jr type. Snead will be very reluctant to go into negotiations with a UFA that will have a sizeable hit to his Projected Compensatory Picks for the 2023 draft. Snead is working towards a large number of draft assets available to him in 2023. Might end up being 10 selections. Five possible awarded compensatory picks.

I would also give DE Morgan Fox some conversation since he has a good history here with our 34 D playing multiple posts in the front five! The pass rush abilities of Fox are a big need in this front DL with so many run-stuffing types. Aaron Donald was close for many seasons with Fox so he might help with AD's disappointment:crying: of Von moving on.

View: https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1503850169032454155?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1503850169032454155%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F3%2F15%2F22979975%2Fnfl-free-agent-rumors-rams-von-miller-competition-from-dallas-cleveland

"Miller is from Texas, so the Dallas Cowboys make sense for that reason alone. The Browns would be looking for a replacement for Jadeveon Clowney to pair opposite of Myles Garrett".

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Thank you brother....so in the equation of AD Smith would be a better all around pick up and not then also obviously effect the comp formula and probably come cheaper.

Well smith it is then lol
I sure hope it does not come to that but I may be a bit greedy but I want to make sure I whomever flanks AD can get the defense up a level like a power up in Mario Brothers and i sure as hell hope AD doesn't threaten retirement should we lose von.

Von could go from hero to villain rather quickly if he left and it caused AD to retire that's just the negative part of the brain speaking.

I doubt Donald would actually retire, although he might try to force a trade to Pittsburgh. He's mentioned in the past that his retiring early might be due from his separation from his family, and since he apparently doesn't wish to move his children to L.A., remaining in Pittsburgh may just keep him in the game. What Pittsburgh would be willing to give up for Donald might make for an interesting conversation though.