If not Von... plans B, C, D, etc.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
First and foremost, I'm hoping Von Miller stays.

If, however, he's intent on going back to Denver (and they're willing to pay him his asking price), I still think the Rams should consider finding a bookend for Leonard Floyd that will allow the Rams' pass rush to remain an unstoppable force.

So, here are my Plans B, C, D, etc.

Plan B: Chandler Jones
Jones, in my opinion, would be an outstanding fit. He's a quality player and a quality guy. The Cardinals, however, seem ready to let him go. Put him on the same defense with Donald and Floyd, and I'll pretty much guarantee he gets 12 sacks. I'd pay him the same dollars we'd offer to Miller and not look back.

Plan C: Haason Reddick
Reddick, despite 12.5 sacks in 2020, was only able to obtain a one-year "prove it" deal from Carolina. Well, he proved it with 11 sacks. At 27, he's more of a long term prospect. Hopefully, he's still affordable.

Plan D: Harold Landry
Another younger option (26) who has been inconsistent, but shown recent promise. Possibly unaffordable, but worth a look.

Plan E: One-Year Flyer on Big Name Hopefully Not Entirely Has-been
There are a lot of guys who might fit this description, including Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes and Justin Houston. Buyer beware at this point, but if we can get a playoff/championship run out of Eric Weddle, maybe...

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'd be down for both Chandler or Reddick. Both would be good fits and have monster years for us. But I think both would cost a decent amount too. We're in a tough spot for sure, but after giving up a 2 and a 3, I would rather pay a bit more for Von. Thats jusy my opinion but looks like the odds are against that now.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sooo, as an aside. AD seemed to hint that he wanted VM and "everyone" back in order to make a SB defense. Will this affect his retirement decision if Miller leaves???

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sooo, as an aside. AD seemed to hint that he wanted VM and "everyone" back in order to make a SB defense. Will this affect his retirement decision if Miller leaves???
I'm putting the likelihood of Aaron Donald retiring at somewhere between 0% and 0.0000001%.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Sometimes, the strategy is to move in a completely different direction.

Say Von Miller's cost is beyond what the Rams have budgeted. They could look at other Edge-rushers. If those players are also beyond what the Rams view as acceptable cost, then the Rams could decide to go with Hollins, Lewis and Garrett opposite Floyd.

At that point, the money and cap space that was allocated to Edge could be spent on another position. Perhaps the Rams think bigger in addressing the O-Line; or they look at a top-CB to pair with Ramsey.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If Von goes..

I'm re-signing Obo.. and going after Dante Fowler or maybe Demarcus Lawrence if he's released. Those players don't count against the comp formula and should be reasonably priced. I don't like the idea of going just with what they currently have in house.

The big names are nice, but I don't see that fitting into the Rams overall approach. But, I've been wrong before.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
If Von goes..

I'm re-signing Obo.. and going after Dante Fowler or maybe Demarcus Lawrence if he's released. Those players don't count against the comp formula and should be reasonably priced. I don't like the idea of going just with what they currently have in house.

The big names are nice, but I don't see that fitting into the Rams overall approach. But, I've been wrong before.
The Rams won't be after Chandler, or any big name. They simply don't have the cash. A familiar face like Fowler would be more likely.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams won't be after Chandler, or any big name. They simply don't have the cash. A familiar face like Fowler would be more likely.
They have the cash, IF they want to. Voidable years, restructures, new deals for Stafford and Donald.. they have PLENTY of ways to do it.

That's how Saints have done it, but the Rams have been more conservative on that particular front.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
They have the cash, IF they want to. Voidable years, restructures, new deals for Stafford and Donald.. they have PLENTY of ways to do it.

That's how Saints have done it, but the Rams have been more conservative on that particular front.
I hope they don't do what the Saints have done. They're in a mess. Haha. I think this is the year they prioritize the iOL and DBs

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
We haven't done what the saints do we have traded picks for proven stars and by hook or crook we have been savvy but also lucky that it's worked mostly savvy.

We to have kicked the can down the road a bit but the organization is smart yes as great as a culture as it is they will also cut bait and run if they need to see Gurley....Saffold....Goff....Peters.....Cooks....Watkins...etc list goes on. So we tend to kick that can also seemingly in a smarter way usually on younger to in their prime type players not old dudes that will cripple you in the future so far so good.

We also draft pretty well to refresh where need be and play the comp game. Again looking at the saints an aging Brees big contract and they give up that current first round pick and I believe the following years for who Davenport???? What has he really done and if he ever does do anything drew will be enjoying it from broadcast booth.

So our methods are risky and there is some luck involved but we also put together quite a front office and coaching staff despite our coaches being pilfered every year.

Seems teams now are trying to copy obviously after we won the chip but a slight hiccup can really put a crimp in your plans.

Wouldn't it have been better for the saints to go for a proven commodity for those 1st rounders a superstar or was it better to go for a maybe/likely/possibly while your window was still open. That's just an example.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My vote? The Smiths from Green Bay. Preston Smith and/or Za'Darius Smith. They're both only twenty-nine, and will likely be cap casualties, given the shiny new contract for Rodgers and the franchise tag for Adams.

Imagine getting one or both of them.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I’m not worried if we don’t sign Von - there will be options available to the Rams.

He signs: awesome.
He leaves: we won the SB, have more resources to allocate to the OL, and find a less expensive edge (who wants to be the next future ex-Ram to become rich from another team overpaying someone else for ADs dominance).

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First and foremost, I'm hoping Von Miller stays.

If, however, he's intent on going back to Denver (and they're willing to pay him his asking price), I still think the Rams should consider finding a bookend for Leonard Floyd that will allow the Rams' pass rush to remain an unstoppable force.

So, here are my Plans B, C, D, etc.

Plan B: Chandler Jones
Jones, in my opinion, would be an outstanding fit. He's a quality player and a quality guy. The Cardinals, however, seem ready to let him go. Put him on the same defense with Donald and Floyd, and I'll pretty much guarantee he gets 12 sacks. I'd pay him the same dollars we'd offer to Miller and not look back.

Plan C: Haason Reddick
Reddick, despite 12.5 sacks in 2020, was only able to obtain a one-year "prove it" deal from Carolina. Well, he proved it with 11 sacks. At 27, he's more of a long term prospect. Hopefully, he's still affordable.

Another younger option (26) who has been inconsistent, but shown recent promise. Possibly unaffordable, but worth a look.

Plan E: One-Year Flyer on Big Name Hopefully Not Entirely Has-been
There are a lot of guys who might fit this description, including Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes and Justin Houston. Buyer beware at this point, but if we can get a playoff/championship run out of Eric Weddle, maybe...
I wasn’t a huge fan of the Floyd signing but now it looks great. Because getting another sound outside LB will do if a star can‘t be signed. Would love Von back but it won’t crush the front line IMO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He'd be a great addition. I realize we can't afford him but maybe with a redo of Floyd's contract he could be our blindside.

Oh and here's his writeup from PFF's FA List:

26. EDGE HAROLD LANDRY III, TENNESSEETITANS

Landry has one ability that all 32 teams look for: availability. His 3,187 snaps since 2019 are almost 300 more than the next highest edge rusher. Los Angeles Rams edge rusher Leonard Floyd is second to Landry with 2,892, and he signed a very respectable four-year, $64 million contract with in the 2021 offseason. Across the 2019-21 seasons, Floyd beats out Landry in overall grade (73.0 to 66.0), run-defense grade (71.4 to 70.9) and pass-rush grade (69.5 to 58.0), but not by a ton. Being an above-average to good ironman certainly carries value at a spot like edge rusher.

Strengths:
– Durability
– Bend
– Speed

Weaknesses:
– One-dimensional-pass rusher
– Winning one-on-ones

Scheme Fit/Role:
VERSATILE STARTER ON THE EDGE: Landry has a relatively even split of snaps as a defensive end and stand-up outside linebacker in 2021, but he is better suited as a 3-4 outside linebacker who is capable of dropping into coverage. A reunion with former defensive coordinator Dean Pees in Atlanta makes sense as a potential landing spot if Tennessee isn't able to retain Landry.

Recent Injury History:
Landry hasn't missed a start for Tennessee since breaking into a full-time starting role in 2019. It was reported that some teams had medical flags on Landry coming out of Boston College for potential knee and back issues, but those haven't led to missed time in the NFL.

Contract Projection: Four years, $60 million ($15M per year, $32 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
2021 has been a breakout season statistically for Landry as a pass rusher, but no player has benefitted more from cleanup and unblocked pressure opportunities than he has. Landry is a reliable every-down starter, but he's not going to single-handedly change the fortunes of a pass-rushing unit.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’m not worried if we don’t sign Von - there will be options available to the Rams.

He signs: awesome.
He leaves: we won the SB, have more resources to allocate to the OL, and find a less expensive edge (who wants to be the next future ex-Ram to become rich from another team overpaying someone else for ADs dominance).

Agreed.
There are so many less expensive DE and OLB options available for the Rams in free agency that I also have few worries if Von Miller chooses to move on. jmo.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then how would they have the cash for Von?

I think they can make the cash available for the right guy. The question is... who would they be willing to pay for.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I suspect that the Rams will try to retain Von Miller at a price they think is fair and in line with the team's cap situation and future sustainability. This likely mean big but not-near-market-best coin. The Rams seem to be a team that prefers to move off players 1 year too early than 1 year too late, as well. And Miller is aging.

If Miller goes elsewhere, my bet is that the Rams go bargain hunting and sign a small-time player that they have identified as a possible big-time contributor in this system due to fit, our coaching staff being able to maximise certain player strengths, etc.

Or roll with what the Rams have internally at present / can snag via the draft.

Kick off for 2022-23 is still months away. Every year, needs pop up that you did not know you had coming into the year, and concerns going into the season prove somewhat less so. The Rams might make another big splash in a bid to run it back. But I would bet on that being in-season if it happens. Just like with Miller, OBJ, and Ramsey. Stafford was an off-season acquisition, but QB is a bit different. You have to strike immediately, and team needs as the position are not as fluid.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
If Von leaves, and I find it likely he will, I agree that the Smith's from GB are some of the best options. I prefer Za'Darius myself but either would be an upgrade to what we would have after Von leaves. One top of that, they fit the Rams recent history, signing guys that won't effect the comp pick formula. I believe both of the Smith's are cut candidates which would leave them off the comp pick formula.

If we were to stray from what we normally do, I've always thought Chandler Jones was a great player. Sign him for a reasonable 1 year deal and he could do some great things on this D, IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Fowler is a FA and only 27, still.

Not sure I like the idea of going backwards, but someone like Fowler on a prove it deal.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Fowler is a FA and only 27, still.

Not sure I like the idea of going backwards, but someone like Fowler on a prove it deal.
Not sure if it's going backwards by a lot when we know he can rush the passer with AD, and AD can rush the passer with Fowler.