If letting Watkins go meant...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They got about 28 hours to make that call. I dont know this but have asked and cant really get an answer. Why do you think Joyner would get tagged? This should not be a difficult deal to get done IMO. Just curious your opinion.
I think Joyner can/should be tagged because the salary number is not that unreasonable compared to what he will make. IIRC, if they franchise him, he'll cost about 10-11 mill, transition tag (which I would do) he costs around 9.5
I want Watkins back, but cant swallow the 16+ mill lump

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You play GM for a minute and tell me what you would do IF Watkins leaves.
Draft one of those wr's that were moving.....maybe that Charck guy from LSU....and not in round 1.....hell, not round 3 either...

But I wouldn't wanna throw SW away.....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We need Watkins for the way he draws a CB and a safety, and clears the field for Kupp and Woods. plus he's an awesome downfield blocker

Watkins will be our #1 WR next season

I don't think this McVay offense really has/uses/needs a real #1. This is spread it around ala Martz.

@nighttrain all we have to do is look at the all-22 film to see what you are saying is totally true.

Also........without Austin AND Watkins this offense is going to look a lot different. They can't lose both.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd try for Watkins, but if he walks, I'd go after C Weston Richburg.

If we lose Watkins, screw it. I'm going after Norwell, the RG from Carolina.

We'd have one of the better OLs in the NFL.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Two scenarios I can see happening:

One, let Watkins walk and sign Jimmy Graham (and a mid tier FA WR). With the money we would pay Watkins, we could sign Graham AND a guy like John Brown. Even if we didn't add Brown, the addition of Graham would mean a TON more two TE sets, which effectively swaps out Watkins for Graham, and Woods showed that he is a deep threat. This would allow us to draft a WR in the mid rounds for depth and roll with Woods/Kupp/Reynolds/rookie/Thomas

Two, sign Trumaine Johnson to a long term deal, with the first two years containing most of the money. We could give him a 5 year deal frontloaded and by the time Peters needs consideration, Trumaine's cap hit is significantly less.

In the second scenario, we re-sign Joyner and Trumaine both. This still leaves us with about $25 million for free agents to address: NT, WR, C.

OLB will have to be the draft. We add more space by cutting Barron, and that money would be used for his replacement.

Having said all that, I would rather re-sign Watkins.

You forgot AD getting paid. Even creatively, he's gonna hit the cap for $20M with the big guaranteed money.

nighttrain

Legend
I don't think this McVay offense really has/uses/needs a real #1. This is spread it around ala Martz.

@nighttrain all we have to do is look at the all-22 film to see what you are saying is totally true.

Also........without Austin AND Watkins this offense is going to look a lot different. They can't lose both.
hmmm, didnt use Austin last season, not much
train

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
If I had to pick what to do w/ the allotted money pegged for Sammy, I would go for either a NT or OG Andrew Norwell. Need to keep the trenches topped up!!!

Also prefer to add a NT in Free agency vs. our 1st pick. JMO

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we lose Watkins, screw it. I'm going after Norwell, the RG from Carolina.

We'd have one of the better OLs in the NFL.

IMO, the upgrade from Brown to Boswell is much less than the upgrade from Sully to Richburg, and Richburg will be much cheaper to boot.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I dunno if I agree with that.

Norwell (not Boswell) was the ONLY OL to have ZERO penalties and allow ZERO sacks. He was a BEAST in both run and pass pro.

I like Richburg, no question, but Norwell imho is a HUGE upgrade over Brown, who I like.

I think Sully is really underrated and the step up to Richburg isn't nearly the step up that Norwell would be over Brown.

Rainram

Starter
Like a lot you have mentioned, I’d put the money back into the OLine. And I don’t think it’s a bad way to go.

Protect Goff, give Gurley holes and give McVay the opportunity to draw up whatever he wants. We still have Kupp and Woods. Reynolds and Thomas may develop more. We could add a role player at WR (draft of FA) for a fraction of the price.

I can’t understate how important OLine play is to McVay’s scheme...and for Goff. And with Kromer having more of a say-so, possibly...I wouldn’t hate it.

I trust McVay’s scheming that he can produce without Sammy.

As for the TE situation that keeps popping up...I stick with who we have. Develop Higbee and Everett.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Also, if this is how it falls, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to get Norwell and THEN, if Billy Price falls because he needs a redshirt year to rehab and then get NFL strong, then I take him too!

That puts more emphasis on filling D holes in later rounds and FA, but the idea of potentially adding both Norwell who's pretty young and Billy Price means that we have a very young OL except for Whitworth and LT can be our emphasis next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Also, if this is how it falls, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to get Norwell and THEN, if Billy Price falls because he needs a redshirt year to rehab and then get NFL strong, then I take him too!

That puts more emphasis on filling D holes in later rounds and FA, but the idea of potentially adding both Norwell who's pretty young and Billy Price means that we have a very young OL except for Whitworth and LT can be our emphasis next year.

I think the Billy Price mid-first round estimates were a bit over the top tbh. He's a good player, and his line call intelligence undoubtedly is something the Rams love, but there are so many players better than him to my eye at least that it would surprise me to see him go that high. Now, of course, he has that injury but since the latest report I read was that it was a partial tear I doubt he will slide much if at all.

IMO somewhere in the bottom of round one into round two is his sweet spot.

Oh and btw I'd be fine with them adding Norwell. He would basically replace Roger Saffold a year early at LG, who is also going to demand big money.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

You just described my pre-combine mock. Now injured, Price might be had late 1'st, early 2'nd in a trade down. Norwell & Price together settles a lot of future worry along the OL. Then Go get a LT in 2019.

nighttrain

Legend
being a decoy is the same thing we said about ta at some point being a decoy isn't worth the money. as far as what we do if we don't replace him we have Reynolds or Thomas. i'm for keeping him at the right price but don't want being a decoy to up his worth to much.
Watkins also led all receives with 8 TDs
train

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
That's gonna be a great team, Donald, Gurley, Goff, and a bunch of jags
train

I think those three plus Peters and a LT to be named plus a bunch of coached up jags = Superbowl. Especially once the rookie jitters are quenched. Watkins production is mediocre if we're being honest. He has strong hands, extends the field and frightens defenders - granted. But once our TE's are seasoned, and once Renolds is seasoned, Watkins is replaceable.

That said I want him back. But the better play may be giving Donald $60 million in the first two years gaurented before we have to pay our boy Goff. Not to mention Peters who's on a two year deal.

Riches man, treasure chest of riches. Let's hope our window is more than two years.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think the Billy Price mid-first round estimates were a bit over the top tbh. He's a good player, and his line call intelligence undoubtedly is something the Rams love, but there are so many players better than him to my eye at least that it would surprise me to see him go that high. Now, of course, he has that injury but since the latest report I read was that it was a partial tear I doubt he will slide much if at all.

IMO somewhere in the bottom of round one into round two is his sweet spot.

Oh and btw I'd be fine with them adding Norwell. He would basically replace Roger Saffold a year early at LG, who is also going to demand big money.

Well, prior to the injury, Billy Price was a consensus top 15 pick. So if he's there at 23, even with the injury which isn't severe or to a joint or back, then I'll still be surprised (unlike Orlando Brown who may precipitously fall). Price may fall because teams need their first round picks to perform now and most teams drafting in the top 15 can't afford to let a first rounder take a redshirt year.

Also, I read that Norwell was a RG. Well, actually, I've read both, so if he's an LG, then no, I don't spend the money because Saffold was good enough that I don't think the upgrade would be worth the salary difference.

Norwell IS that much better than Brown, so...I dunno.

So much is gonna change in the next few weeks.

Edit: looked it up and Norwell is a LG, so I'm a no go on Norwell and I'd be shocked if Snead & Co were even looking at him.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
First off, I'd like to see Watkins back
Should he get a better deal out there, then the Rams need to put that $$ into Re-signing their own.

Donald, Joyner, NRC. Sullivan. Is there a better option in FA to replace any of these guys?
Donald and Joyner? No there isn't. NRC has been one of the top cover CBS in the slot for a couple years and any center who can come in and play AT LEAST as good as Sullivan did last year, will cost MORE. I'm

The Rams are around $55mil under the cap right? That # doesn't change if Watkins walks. Bringing in guys like poe and richburg means the Rams might not be able to re-sign one or more of those aforementioned Rams.

Letting a couple of our best players go just to spend the $$ on other FAs doesn't make a lotta sense to me. Count me out if it means losing one of those guys.