If letting Watkins go meant...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Watkins will be our #1 WR next season after having a full camp and knowing the offense and getting more of a rapport with Goff.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If losing a playmaker, and maybe the best receiver in FA, then I want one back so I'm bringing jimmy to Cali and making him the Golden Graham. I also wonder what poe will cost.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd try for Watkins, but if he walks, I'd go after C Weston Richburg.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to lose Watkins but I'd be curious about getting a guy like Torrey Smith on the cheap (word is he'll be a cap cut by the eagles).

Smith is a good one. John "Smoke" Brown from the Cardinals is another. We could also go after Paul Richardson or Mike Wallace. Or we could stand pat with what we have in FA and draft a guy like Antonio Callaway in the mid rounds.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Smith is a good one. John "Smoke" Brown from the Cardinals is another. We could also go after Paul Richardson or Mike Wallace. Or we could stand pat with what we have in FA and draft a guy like Antonio Callaway in the mid rounds.

Yeah, there are options. Again, this is the frustrating part, it's all predicated on what happens with our 1st option (Joyner) and then the decision tree expands from there. I love speculating but it's equally frustrating that so much of what we're discussing is a moving target. Thank god, the target finally moves a bit more on Tuesday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jimmy Graham, anyone already think we need an upgrade at TE (I don’t)

I want them to get Watkins done to ensure Goff has at least the same crew. This FA wideout class sucks balls and the draft has some guys in this class but teams are gonna have to flip every damn stone over to find what they want because they'll get overdrafted due to how weak it is.

And I want Graham too. I feel he'd be an impact player for Jared in this offense, no doubt in my mind. When it comes to McVay's TE coaching ability and scheme IF there's ever been a position where a player would consider a club-friendly deal to reestablish his name around the league it's TE. I think they'll make a run at him and if he wants to min/max money too bad.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With or without Watkins, I still expect the Rams to use free agency to fill holes prior to the draft. I think they pursue an ilb, OLB, and a corner. Maybe they look at Poe at NT or OLine depth, but not a starter.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I’d like to take a shot at Allen Robinson. I think he’s just as talented as Sammy but won’t cost nearly as much coming off that injury.

TexasRam

Legend
I'd be completely fine with his money going to Donald up front so he costs less when we gotta pay Gurley and goff also

Agreed. Or use the money on Norwell or Pugh. Build Oline depth. Saffold ain’t no spring chicken at 29.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
How much to people really think Watkins is worth? If Watkins wants more than 12M we should let him walk. Landry just signed the tag and will be paid approx 16.2M if a long term deal is not reached. If a deal is done for Landry he probably gets 12-13M per. Watkins probably falls into the 10-11M range IMO.

I like Watkins and hope he sticks around, but I dont see a need to break the bank for him. 4years at 36M to 42M with half guarenteed? If he wants 13+ I would take my chance with Reynolds and maybe a 1 year FA like a Torry Smith or something along those lines.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With no Watkins I feel we'd need to add that investment back to the offense.

I agree, with the OP. I want Watkins to stay. We have to account for injuries. Imagine when Woods went down, if we didn't have Watkins out there.

I'm hopeful for our younger WR's too, but I'm not gambling our season on it.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I completely agree, as I see how effective he is even when the ball doesn’t go his way. I’m just curious what direction people would want to see us go if we don’t resign him.

being a decoy is the same thing we said about ta at some point being a decoy isn't worth the money. as far as what we do if we don't replace him we have Reynolds or Thomas. i'm for keeping him at the right price but don't want being a decoy to up his worth to much.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying I agree with it, but I’m thinking the Rams will sign either Watkins or Joyner and tag the other. Especially now that they have extra cap room.
Now is the time to focus on internal FA, they can focus on UFA next week when league year officially opens

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Not saying I agree with it, but I’m thinking the Rams will sign either Watkins or Joyner and tag the other. Especially now that they have extra cap room.
Now is the time to focus on internal FA, they can focus on UFA next week when league year officially opens

They got about 28 hours to make that call. I dont know this but have asked and cant really get an answer. Why do you think Joyner would get tagged? This should not be a difficult deal to get done IMO. Just curious your opinion.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two scenarios I can see happening:

One, let Watkins walk and sign Jimmy Graham (and a mid tier FA WR). With the money we would pay Watkins, we could sign Graham AND a guy like John Brown. Even if we didn't add Brown, the addition of Graham would mean a TON more two TE sets, which effectively swaps out Watkins for Graham, and Woods showed that he is a deep threat. This would allow us to draft a WR in the mid rounds for depth and roll with Woods/Kupp/Reynolds/rookie/Thomas

Two, sign Trumaine Johnson to a long term deal, with the first two years containing most of the money. We could give him a 5 year deal frontloaded and by the time Peters needs consideration, Trumaine's cap hit is significantly less.

In the second scenario, we re-sign Joyner and Trumaine both. This still leaves us with about $25 million for free agents to address: NT, WR, C.

OLB will have to be the draft. We add more space by cutting Barron, and that money would be used for his replacement.

Having said all that, I would rather re-sign Watkins.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We need Watkins for the way he draws a CB and a safety, and clears the field for Kupp and Woods. plus he's an awesome downfield blocker
train
I agree with this 1000%!!

You play GM for a minute and tell me what you would do IF Watkins leaves.
But, just to play the "What If" scenario. I would go for Poe! To Finish Building our D-Line! Then we go after LB's in the Draft!!(y);):D