If letting Watkins go meant...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Seth Griffith
Let’s for a second, consider what we could do with the extra money if we don’t resign Watkins. But first, I’m going on the record as saying that I want him to be a Ram for a long time.

But, if we didn’t resign him, what direction would you want that money to go?

FA Nose Tackle (D. Poe anyone?)FA LBer (N. Bowman anyone?) Both?

Jimmy Graham, anyone already think we need an upgrade at TE (I don’t)

FA O Lineman who’s either in their prime or for depth?

You play GM for a minute and tell me what you would do IF Watkins leaves. I think Reynolds gets more work next year regardless. Pharaoh Cooper as well.

Let’s hear your scenarios

nighttrain

Legend
Let’s for a second, consider what we could do with the extra money if we don’t resign Watkins. But first, I’m going on the record as saying that I want him to be a Ram for a long time.

But, if we didn’t resign him, what direction would you want that money to go?

FA Nose Tackle (D. Poe anyone?)FA LBer (N. Bowman anyone?) Both?

Jimmy Graham, anyone already think we need an upgrade at TE (I don’t)

FA O Lineman who’s either in their prime or for depth?

You play GM for a minute and tell me what you would do IF Watkins leaves. I think Reynolds gets more work next year regardless. Pharaoh Cooper as well.

Let’s hear your scenarios
We need Watkins for the way he draws a CB and a safety, and clears the field for Kupp and Woods. plus he's an awesome downfield blocker
train

Name
Seth Griffith
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We need Watkins for the way he draws a CB and a safety, and clears the field for Kupp and Woods. plus he's an awesome downfield blocker
train
I completely agree, as I see how effective he is even when the ball doesn’t go his way. I’m just curious what direction people would want to see us go if we don’t resign him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Watkins is worth far more than his stats.
I'd definitely take Watkins over Graham

nighttrain

Legend
I completely agree, as I see how effective he is even when the ball doesn’t go his way. I’m just curious what direction people would want to see us go if we don’t resign him.
We had the highest scoring offense in the nfl last season, without SW it doesnt happen
train

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I'd be completely fine with his money going to Donald up front so he costs less when we gotta pay Gurley and goff also

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would want the money to go towards either resigning the Rams' players (AD - frontload it a bit) or to signing players cut by their team so they don't affect free agent comp picks. I would really like the Rams to get a couple of thirds, or at least a third and a fourth, extra in the 2019 draft. I think any free agent signings should be role players anyway - players who fit the system and who can fill a hole for a year or two until players the Rams draft can be there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No Watkins = OG Andrew Norwell for me, then draft WR DJ Chark to compete with Reynolds following a trade down from #23.
jmo.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't want to lose Watkins but I'd be curious about getting a guy like Torrey Smith on the cheap (word is he'll be a cap cut by the eagles).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I like the Norwalk idea IFF Watkins isn’t retained.

Keep Watkins, but if they can’t, try for Norwell.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Watkins ran a legit 4.3 at his combine, this at 6'2'' and 212 lbs
train
DJ Chark ran a 4.34 today, he's also 6'2". Anyway, this is IF Watkins is gone, not that I want him gone, which I don't.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to lose Watkins but I'd be curious about getting a guy like Torrey Smith on the cheap (word is he'll be a cap cut by the eagles).

Watkins is clearly better than Smith - but if Watkins is going to take too much money it might make sense.

Figure the Rams want to spread the ball around, and are expecting more production from the TEs than they got this year, limiting the number of targets going elsewhere. So it might very well be that Watkins isn't worth as much to the Rams as he is to other teams.

I could easily see a calculus where Watkins is worth less to the Rams than $7-10 million in cap savings to be used for other holes or for signing their own free agents, PLUS a third round pick in 2019, PLUS Torrey Smith. They could even feel that Josh Reynolds can do the job nicely, for that matter.

HellRam

Starter
I haven't heard Bowman's name much of late. Can't lie, I think Bowman would pair great Ogletree

I was big on keeping Watkins originally. The more I think about it the Rams don't really need him long term if Reynolds or Thomas can develop. Which is why I wouldn't mind tagging Watkins and putting the decision off one more year. Would still like to see more from Sammy if he's going to get paid elite money.

nighttrain

Legend
I haven't heard Bowman's name much of late. Can't lie, I think Bowman would pair great Ogletree

I was big on keeping Watkins originally. The more I think about it the Rams don't really need him long term if Reynolds or Thomas come develop. Which is why I wouldn't mind tagging Watkins and putting the decision off one more year. Would still like to see more from Sammy if he's going to get paid elite money.
i think SW bought in to the we not me philosophy wholeheartedly, he likes Cali and he likes winning doesnt mean elite money
train

HellRam

Starter
i think SW bought in to the we not me philosophy wholeheartedly, he likes Cali and he likes winning doesnt mean elite money
train

We'll see. That stuff always sounds nice, but more times then not dudes usually take the money. Plus keeping Watkins on the cheap would still be around 10 mill per year IMO.

Regardless I'd rather you be right.

nighttrain

Legend
We'll see. That stuff always sounds nice, but more times then not dudes usually take the money. Plus keeping Watkins on the cheap would still be around 10 mill per year IMO.

Regardless I'd rather you be right.
10 mil a year would be a fair market value in this NFL
TRAIN

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't think of a worse way to spend our first pick than on a WR, TE or QB.