I just don't get it.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Don't you being an elevator inspector , have to go explore crazy heights all the time? I would think your job would be insane in some buildings where the elevator goes in before the walls are finished.

@ X always took precautions in his hazardous job...
elevator.jpg

....and he did his job like no other.
funny-elevator-Elf-movie-scene.gif

…..

Legend
When I was in my early twenties I drove a 61 Austin Healey Sprite. On several occasions some friends of mine, who owned sports cars, and myself met in Los Gatos, CA late at night. We would then drive Highway 17 to Santa Cruz with the lights out and see who could get to the beach first. Highway 17 is full of dangerous twists and turns. I drove a VW bug down there one night while on an acid trip. Crazy bastards all of us.

Then there was the alleged hang gliding incident off some cliffs during a blackout. Of course that doesn't count because I don't remember doing it. Maybe my buddies were just messing with me. ;)

The catch here?? You actually had the acid before you got to Santa Cruz.

We made road trips to Santa Cruz to get some but never actually had any for the drive, and yes, my buddy drove a bug. Thats a Trip.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
Lived most of 60 years watching PCB go from being able to walk naked on that beach to endless rows of condos blocking the beautifull view. I think it's messed up now.
Hey, I used to live in PCB. I was stationed there at that little navy base.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Hey, I used to live in PCB. I was stationed there at that little navy base.
That was a mine sweeping base and now it's the deepest diving center in all of the U.S. We have the biggest Raptor AFB on the other side of town, 35 minutes away is Fort Walton Bch and a giant AFB Hurlbert Field and they drop rare bombs out in those open spaces. That air explosion bomb called Moab. Mother of all bombs where they ignite the atmosphere on fire. Those mothers are ginormous. Then 25 more minutes down the road we have the Pensacola Naval Air Base. This section of the gulf coast is also our eyes for the south of the U.S. In drug intadictions. If the U.S. Is ever nuked we know we will be gone in a flash living right here. Way too much military power and top training area's for AF , NAVY and secret weapons development. Plus up until last year the number one Spring Break party place till we just banned drinking ON the beach for the one month Spring Breakers are mainly here. Big loss of money to Hotels here but we also don't have all the drunk deaths everyday and the mob and hookers here. Quite a place to live.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This freaked me up; I had to spit a couple times in the sink. I felt like I could vomit.
This is probably my least favorite thread that's ever been posted on ROD. Heights just mess with me.

I have wicked bad Vertigo. When I was raiding in World of Warcraft, one of the fights happened on a floating ship... Every week I had to do that fight with Ginger Ale and Saltines at my desk or risk throwing up... then I'd have to take a break. So, I feel you on this.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My parents took me to the Royal Gorge suspension bridge in Colorado when i was about 6 or 7 years old. It was at that time the highest suspension bridge in the world.
1,000 feet high and 1,200 feet across. All i remember is not liking it and getting pissed at my Dad.

Fucked me up for LIFE.
RGBP_06_12_2015_PhotoPoints-96.jpg

I cannot go near the edge of a rooftop or open high area or my legs begin to give out....but i can climb 100 foot tall pine trees with no fear. Branches, limbs, leaves, using both hands and arm and legs to hold on to the tree...it takes away that fear of open heights i suppose.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ssful-test-flight-new-super-light-glider.html

Daredevils plan to fly 90,000 feet up to the edge of space powered by just the wind after successful test flight of new super-light glider
  • The Perlan 2 glider hopes to create aviation history by soaring to 90,000 feet higher than any plane has gone before
  • Existing record of 85,000ft is held by an American spy plane, the Lockheed SR-71 ‘Blackbird’ - achieved in 1976
  • Glider, which has an 85ft wingspan and weighs less than one ton, will aim to get there by soaring on air currents
By COLIN FERNANDEZ, SCIENCE CORRESPONDENT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

0C9DC81800000578-3579629-image-m-55_1462720415869.jpg

A daring plan to fly a glider to the edge of space is a step closer after a successful test flight on Sunday.

The Perlan 2 glider hopes to create aviation history by soaring to 90,000 feet – 17 miles up - higher than any plane has gone before.

The existing record of 85,000ft is held by an American spy plane, the Lockheed SR-71 ‘Blackbird’.

But that plane got there using powerful jet engines.

The Perlan 2 glider, which has an 85ft wingspan and weighs less than one ton, will aim to get there by soaring on air currents rising off mountains.

Yesterday the plane took to the sky from an airstrip in Minden, Nevada – close to the Lake Tahoe resort.

On board were pilots Jim Payne, and Tom Enders, the German chief executive of the plane manufacturer Airbus, which is sponsoring the mission.

The Perlan project was originally funded by US adventurer and aviator Steve Fossett.

He and Icelandic pilot Einar Enevoldson set the existing record for a glider of 50,671 feet with Perlan 1 in 2006 and hoped to carry on to 90,000 ft and beyond.

The project looked like it might be doomed after Mr Fossett died in a plane crash in 2007, until the plane maker Airbus stepped in.

Because of rain and cloud the test flight lasted just ten minutes this afternoon rather than the two hours planned.

Mr Enders said of the flight: ‘It was short. Because of the clouds, we couldn't see any more otherwise we would still be up there.’

The ultimate goal is to test how well an aircraft and its crew do in conditions similar to those on Mars, with extremely thin atmosphere and bitterly cold temperatures.

Its designers hope to show that the lightweight aircraft, with its long, thin wings, is strong enough to resist intense stresses that could destroy a less solid plane.

In the end, only stability, speed and efficiency were tested, as the plane flew at just 7,000 feet (2,130 meters) for its brief journey.

Designers, drawing on computerized simulations, plan to induce high-frequency vibrations to the wings to see if the glider itself can contain those vibrations at safe levels.

Ed Warnock, chief executive of the Perlan group, said his team wants to test whether it is possible for the crew to breathe only the air inside the craft without condensation damaging instruments.

Airbus, which hopes to build planes capable of flying at altitudes of around 30,000-40,000 ft which are becoming increasingly congested, as well as potentially saving time and fuel -- is earmarking up to $4 million (£2.7million) for the project, making it one of the largest investors.

The craft's cabin is supposed to maintain pressure equal to that at 15,000 feet, saving the crew from having to wear bulky flight suits, Airbus said.

Perlan 2 also aims to collect atmospheric data useful in fighting climate change as it travels to the edge of space.

Because it is a glider, it is ideal for measuring activity in the upper stratosphere – as it produces no polluting gases.

The full record attempt will take place when the Perlan 2 team moves to Calafate, Argentina later this year.

Air currents there have been powerfully bolstered by the polar vortex all the way to the stratosphere, and currents rising from the Andes are particularly strong.

But Mr Warnock said, ‘We can't take the plane to Argentina until we know it's perfectly safe.’