Hypothetical Trade: Franchise QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which trade do you prefer?

• Steelers Trade

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Giants Trade

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Don't Make Either Trade

Votes: 29 90.6%

• Total voters

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright guys, I just thought I'd throw a hypothetical situation out there. The odds of either of these trades happening are zero to none but I thought it made for an interesting question.

If you received a call from the Steelers or Giants offering you this deal:
Steelers trade:
Ben Roethlisberger

Rams trade:
Sam Bradford
Rams 1st

or

Giants trade:
Eli Manning
Giants 5th

Rams trade:
Sam Bradford
Rams 1st

Now...both of these deals would be tough to make because of the cap implications but I am asking you to ignore the cap implications.

Would you make either of these deals? Which trade do you prefer if you would?

Basically, the risk here is that both Eli and Ben are having down years thus far. However, both have multiple rings and have proven themselves to be franchise QBs. Both have shown they can turn it around.

That all said, both are also 30 years old. If they don't turn it around this year, the Rams are likely losing a top 5 to 10 pick in this deal.

Is it worth the risk? Will either of those two QBs turn this Rams team around?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This team's troubles extend beyond the QB, so my initial response is neither.
But forced to choose, I'd take Roethlisberger.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Neither. They are both 0 - 4 and that is mostly because of their offensive lines. It's almost impossible to play QB with a horrible offensive line. Theirs are probably a little better than ours. I just don't see the point at this point.

Not trying to be a cheeky bastard.

Eli is a better QB, IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
This team's troubles extend beyond the QB, so my initial response is neither.
But forced to choose, I'd take Roethlisberger.

I agree with you on that. The OL is washed up and not doing their jobs. Jared Cook is a great physical talent with no interest in doing anything other than catching passes. The running game is non-existent.

However, I would still make the Roethlisberger deal. Maybe he doesn't turn us around this year(I think he possibly could) but he's still a franchise QB and one of the top 5 or 6 QBs in the game. And we'd still be left with Washington's first. It would be worth it to me. If not for this year, for next year.

…..

Legend
I'm stubborn and have not had the confidence in Sam Bradford

However, just because I dont have confidence in him does not mean that we should get rid of him just yet. We're signed up for this year unfortunately. See me after the season for this discussion. As it stands right now, I would not make any trade for a vet QB that inlcudes Sam and a 1st.

Straight up player for player with no pics involved, I'd take Big Ben.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can't get behind, or in front of for that matter, a person who thinks it's OK to force himself upon another, as my franchise QB, no way, no how.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Both those guys are far enough into their careers I prefer to not put them on a rebuilding team, you may say both those teams are rebuilding and I say, that's their problem.

Only way I trade Bradford is for someone as young or younger and better or for draft choices that assure we get a targeted rookie QB

I think most of the shakeup trade/ firing coaches talk is premature way premature.

IMO we try to coach some people up pray to the injury gods and let this stuff unfold

Washington was3-6 last year and won 7 straight

Sept is the great fooler

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Neither probably, but the steelers trade wouldn't make me mad right now. The Giants trade would infuriate me.

There's some pretty hungry teams for QBs right now.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I would trade either of those teams our OC in a heartbeat. But no deal on the other nonsense.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Neither, as QB is the last of our troubles at this point. Like I said before, Sam Bradford is leading the 12th best passing offense in the league with the worst run game in the NFL which is essentially nonexistent, and a O-Line that has been doing an awful job at protecting him.

Has he looked great? Of course not. Who would look great with those circumstances though? I can't think of a single QB that would look good there. Is he the problem? No.

Before I'll even entertain the idea of giving up on Bradford I want to see:
1- Pass Protection
2- A run game
3- Inspired playcalling

If after all that, we look bad, then I'll place blame on Bradford. Until then, not a chance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bluecoconuts said:
Neither, as QB is the last of our troubles at this point. Like I said before, Sam Bradford is leading the 12th best passing offense in the league with the worst run game in the NFL which is essentially nonexistent, and a O-Line that has been doing an awful job at protecting him.

Has he looked great? Of course not. Who would look great with those circumstances though? I can't think of a single QB that would look good there. Is he the problem? No.

1- Pass Protection
2- A run game
3- Inspired playcalling

If after all that, we look bad, then I'll place blame on Bradford. Until then, not a chance.

Peyton Manning would get it done here.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
jrry32 said:
bluecoconuts said:

1- Pass Protection
2- A run game
3- Inspired playcalling

Hypothetical on top of a hypothetical

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
jrry32 said:
bluecoconuts said:

1- Pass Protection
2- A run game
3- Inspired playcalling

But...but Peyton Manning.

Just...stop. Placing blame on 1 guy when there are a myriad of problems is ridic.

Also why in the blue hell would any of those teams make a trade...hypothetical or not?? Just to make a change?

That's the difference w/ teams like them and the bad teams. Even during the down times they don't make Madden trades b/c fans want a change. They stay the course and take their lumps. Also, in case you haven't been watching those 2, they have other problems outside the QB just like the Rams do. Bad defenses, poor protections, penalties...the whole damn nine.

Both Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning have cost their teams w/ their turnovers this year more than Sam has anyway.

bluecoconuts

Legend
jrry32 said:
bluecoconuts said:

1- Pass Protection
2- A run game
3- Inspired playcalling

With no protection, run game, and this playbook? I doubt it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Angry Ram said:
jrry32 said:
bluecoconuts said:

1- Pass Protection
2- A run game
3- Inspired playcalling

Just...stop. Placing blame on 1 guy when there are a myriad of problems is ridic.

Also why in the blue hell would any of those teams make a trade...hypothetical or not?? Just to make a change?

That's the difference w/ teams like them and the bad teams. Even during the down times they don't make Madden trades b/c fans want a change. They stay the course and take their lumps. Also, in case you haven't been watching those 2, they have other problems outside the QB just like the Rams do. Bad defenses, poor protections, penalties...the whole damn nine.

Both Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning have cost their teams w/ their turnovers this year more than Sam has anyway.

I don't have any interest in being talked down to. It's a hypothetical question.

bluecoconuts said:
With no protection, run game, and this playbook? I doubt it.

He would. And that's not a shot at Sam. Peyton Manning is very arguably the GOAT. But it seems as if we exaggerate the circumstances to deflect blame from Sam. Yes, it's a very tough situation. Yes, his supporting cast hasn't played up to par. But at the same time, has he played up to par?

It's a team game...yes. But you can still analyze individual performances.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rabid Ram said:
Hypothetical on top of a hypothetical

Yep. It is. But Manning lost his starting LT, his starting and backup C and his starting RG. Who does he have at HB?

The guy has great weapons at WR. No doubt. But he also makes the most of it.

And Manning is the GOAT...so no, it's not a shot at Sam that Manning could get it done here. But lets not act like there's no QB in the NFL that could succeed on this team. I also bet if we had Manning, the play-calling would seem a lot better.(mainly because Schotty wouldn't be calling the plays)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
jrry32 said:
Angry Ram said:
jrry32 said:
bluecoconuts said:

1- Pass Protection
2- A run game
3- Inspired playcalling

I don't have any interest in being talked down to. It's a hypothetical question.

Not talking down just pointing out the pointlessness (yes I did that on purpose) of topics like these. Only b/c of 2 bad games...and really 1 bad game by Sam himself.

It makes zero sense on any level. The Rams wouldn't do it, those teams wouldn't do it. So why even bring up something like this?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Angry Ram said:
Not talking down just pointing out the pointlessness (yes I did that on purpose) of topics like these. Only b/c of 2 bad games...and really 1 bad game by Sam himself.

It makes zero sense on any level. The Rams wouldn't do it, those teams wouldn't do it. So why even bring up something like this?

Don't like the question, then don't post in the thread. The question is aimed at whether people think the situation is hopeless(no QB can succeed) or if they believe that another talented signal caller could succeed here. It's also examining whether they believe it's worth that sort of risk to get a potential franchise QB or if they believe Sam is still a potential franchise QB.

TexasRam

Legend
If Peyton Manning came here the first thing he would do is demand someone get that clown (Schotty) out of here.

So yeah Manning would Succeed.

Unfortunately Bradford doesn't have the same Clout to make such demands.