Hypothetical: Rams Roll with Keenum/Mannion in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Anyone who's followed me knows I love my dynamic WRs something fierce.

Wanted Hopkins. Wanted Watkins. Wanted Robinson.

Upgrading that doesnt do much without a QB. Even Beuce wouldn't help much.

Get the flipping QB and everything else will sort into place with a competent HC and an OC worth his salt.

Athos

Legend
Anyone who's followed me knows I love my dynamic WRs something fierce.

Wanted Hopkins. Wanted Watkins. Wanted Robinson.

Upgrading that doesnt do much without a QB. Even Beuce wouldn't help much.

Get the flipping QB and everything else will sort into place with a competent HC and an OC worth his salt.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We need to see what Mannion can do in the next couple weeks or it's a wasted pick

Here is why I think that:
Rams spent a 3rd pick on the guy - so unless he gets serious reps as the starter here at the end of the 2015 season with nothing to play for but pride, it's a wasted pick because who knows if this regime has another year to work things out. That puts pressure on Fisher and Snead to get wins and a veteran starter is the safest bet. Or the promise of a 1st round franchise QB draft pick in 2016. Which means a vet like Keenum (and we still will have Foles) to back him up and that means Mannion never gets reps.

So if Fisher isn't grooming Mannion now as the heir apparent in 2016 and getting him in the game this year I don't get the f'ing pick

F'd Up QB Scenarios for Mannion in 2016

Starter: 2016 1st pick QB
Back Up; Keenum
3rd: Foles (unless cut)
3rd: Mannion

Starter: Free Agent Veteran QB
Back Up: Keenum

If we lose Thursday night I'm gonna expect to see Mannion for the final games otherwise I don't see the reason outside of drafting a perennial backup QB for another organization.

Mannion has to be the Rams answer at QB for the future, let's see what he can do now before we it ends up a wasted pick - cause we have no time to develop an osweiller or a Rogers - there's no Peyton or Farve in his way

ID Ramsfan

UDFA
Name
Spencer
I agree with all of you that we need to find a solution at QB however I don't think the draft is necessarily the answer. I don't watch college football but from everything that I have read this draft class doesn't have much talent at QB and I'm not for wasting a first round draft pick on a QB when we haven't seen what we have in Mannion. After a quick look at the upcoming free agents though I would love see the rams try to make a move to get Brock Osweiler. I do however think that the broncos end up keeping him.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FWIW, I wanted Hoyer. In our offense, without Hopkins, I doubt he does as well. But he'd be a lot better than what we have right now.

And that's the frustration with Fisher. It's not the players. Short of an ELITE QB, I'm not sure it matters who plays QB for a Fisher offense.

But assuming Fisher is the coach next year, I ultimately seeing us staying with Foles/Mannion/Keenum or trading for a guy like Philip Rivers.

I don't see Fisher drafting a QB - why would a coach commit to a rookie QB in the last year of his deal???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some Saints fans are saying they might let Brees go after this year. All I can think is...nope. Too good to be true. No way the Rams would get Brees as a stop gap while we develop a QB ot the future.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're not a crazy person but you're not thinking clearly. I watched the game on NFL Rewind, Case Keenum did not play well. He was better than Foles...which is a start but he still wasn't anywhere near serviceable starter territory.

We'd have 9-10 wins right now if Aaron Rodgers was at QB. The first hole we need to address is QB. Gotta have a plan there.

IDK how many more wins we would have, but it would most certainly be more. Albeit, we are talking about a guy in the heart of his prime (Aaron Rogers). There is absolutely no way we could get that level of play from a rookie QB. In fact, I say we won't see another Aaron Rogers for some time. I think he's the last of the great QB's for a while. Just my opinion.

Watched some Mannion tape last night. There is no question he has the touch to make every throw. He does everything a tall pocket passer needs to do, he just needs to do it gradually faster. He was dealt a tough hand in Oregon State, outside of having Cooks his junior year. After seeing his tape, I fully understand why Fisher doesn't play him right now. It's too soon. He tends to force some balls when the pressure is on and it would get ugly. He may get there, he may not. I see a lot of Matt Ryan in him.

What QB you like coming out, jrry?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK how many more wins we would have, but it would most certainly be more. Albeit, we are talking about a guy in the heart of his prime (Aaron Rogers). There is absolutely no way we could get that level of play from a rookie QB. In fact, I say we won't see another Aaron Rogers for some time. I think he's the last of the great QB's for a while. Just my opinion.

Watched some Mannion tape last night. There is no question he has the touch to make every throw. He does everything a tall pocket passer needs to do, he just needs to do it gradually faster. He was dealt a tough hand in Oregon State, outside of having Cooks his junior year. After seeing his tape, I fully understand why Fisher doesn't play him right now. It's too soon. He tends to force some balls when the pressure is on and it would get ugly. He may get there, he may not. I see a lot of Matt Ryan in him.

What QB you like coming out, jrry?

I like a number of them. I think Goff is the safest pick and will be a quality QB in the Matt Ryan/Philip Rivers mold.

Paxton Lynch is less NFL ready and a bit more risky but very physically talented with a ton of upside. He's a tough one to compare.

I see Connor Cook as a Jay Cutler/Matt Stafford type QB with Eli Manning upside...very streaky and inconsistent but has tools you can't teach and has what many would call the "IT" factor (I don't believe in such a thing...but he has the attributes that many people see as the it factor).

Carson Wentz needs development and is risky but has more physical talent than anyone in this class and his issues are all fixable. Has a Carson Palmer like skill-set and potential.

Jacoby Brissett is an effective game manager and a very physically talented kid. Very conservative though. Has bits of Jason Campbell, Alex Smith, and Donovan McNabb in him. Could end up developing into any of those three.

I see Goff and Lynch as top 10 picks. Cook as a mid first round pick. Wentz currently as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.(could boost his stock into the mid first with a strong Senior Bowl performance) And Brissett as a mid 2nd/early 3rd round pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
get rid of Bradford
Not me.....

Fans: "What the freak did you do THAT for?????"
And THIS was my first thought....might as well ride it out (Bradfords contract/injuries) & draft a real replacement....at least the last 2 years. And I never thought Gilbert or really Mannion were options....oh welll.....

nobody thought Foles would do so poorly
I had my doubts...because I watch a bunch of Pac-12 football....he's tough, but inaccurate in the face of pressure...never knew he was this inaccurate...I saw him during his philly prime...it was a game when he had most of those stats...and a db dropped a pick...but all the announcers talked about the following week was he'd only thrown 2 picks....He looked pretty average in his playoff loss.... So I never understood how you trade a top pick...I knew it could kill the offense. I just hoped Cig could manage around his skills and the players around him inexperience. NOPE

but if you draft a QB in the first round you essentially throw in the towel on Mannion.
Not really, nothing wrong with depth, doubling down...Look at Washington...Cousins is a savior over there...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not me.....
Really? In 2015 you wanted to give him another shot at staying healthy?
I was one of the biggest Bradford honks on the internet, and not even *I* wanted to see him behind center again.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm loyal like that....I mean, after 2014...I wanted to SEE this guy succeed here....He deserved the chance....he had already made his money...

Now, I did expect a HIGHER drafted backup QB....in 2013, 2014, and esp. 2015, which would have possibly been his last season. He had a longer re-hab in 2014 - 2015...was familiar with the system & players.... I still remember 2013....14 TD's & 4 INT's....he was coming into his own... I don't like developing guys, and letting them go in their prime. All these FA's we'll have in 2016, we'd be foolish if we didn't offer competitive contracts and keep all the high performers in blu & gold.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The way I always look at it is. Can I get a QB that can win a super bowl? If he can't why have him on the team? Look how great of a QB it took to win the one super bowl.
Keep trying them till you find one otherwise it's low hanging fruit.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not me.....

And THIS was my first thought....might as well ride it out (Bradfords contract/injuries) & draft a real replacement....at least the last 2 years. And I never thought Gilbert or really Mannion were options....oh welll.....

I had my doubts...because I watch a bunch of Pac-12 football....he's tough, but inaccurate in the face of pressure...never knew he was this inaccurate...I saw him during his philly prime...it was a game when he had most of those stats...and a db dropped a pick...but all the announcers talked about the following week was he'd only thrown 2 picks....He looked pretty average in his playoff loss.... So I never understood how you trade a top pick...I knew it could kill the offense. I just hoped Cig could manage around his skills and the players around him inexperience. NOPE

Not really, nothing wrong with depth, doubling down...Look at Washington...Cousins is a savior over there...

Honestly, I don't wanna model our team after WAS. Lol

fearsomefour

Legend
I was one of the biggest Bradford honks on the internet, and not even *I* wanted to see him behind center again.
Like I have said, I understand the trade but I didn't like it.
I didn't see the advantage of downgrading the position to save money, which, is what the trade was about. I didn't see another option that improved the team. I would have stayed pat with Bradford and dealt with it this year.
The money aspect comes into extending Foles as well. They didn't want to pay the salary level of an elite level QB....well, they accomplished that. I didn't like Foles game (as I stated 100 times) when the trade happened....did I think it would go this badly? Heck no.
Disappointed does not get past the tip of the iceberg.
So, where from here? Not many options.

BadCompany

Rookie
We need to see what Mannion can do in the next couple weeks or it's a wasted pick

Here is why I think that:
Rams spent a 3rd pick on the guy - so unless he gets serious reps as the starter here at the end of the 2015 season with nothing to play for but pride, it's a wasted pick because who knows if this regime has another year to work things out. That puts pressure on Fisher and Snead to get wins and a veteran starter is the safest bet. Or the promise of a 1st round franchise QB draft pick in 2016. Which means a vet like Keenum (and we still will have Foles) to back him up and that means Mannion never gets reps.

So if Fisher isn't grooming Mannion now as the heir apparent in 2016 and getting him in the game this year I don't get the f'ing pick

F'd Up QB Scenarios for Mannion in 2016

Starter: 2016 1st pick QB
Back Up; Keenum

Starter: Free Agent Veteran QB
Back Up: Keenum

If we lose Thursday night I'm gonna expect to see Mannion for the final games otherwise I don't see the reason outside of drafting a perennial backup QB for another organization.

Mannion has to be the Rams answer at QB for the future, let's see what he can do now before we it ends up a wasted pick - cause we have no time to develop an osweiller or a Rogers - there's no Peyton or Farve in his way

My only concern with this is that if Mannion isn't ready, then he isn't ready. Putting him in now, if he isn't ready, isn't going to show us what his potential is; it's just going to show us that he isn't ready. When he was drafted we knew he was going to be a project (wasn't he thought of as a 5th or 6th rounder?) so expecting him to be of starter quality less than a season later probably isn't realistic. I'm guessing (like, totally guessing), that they envisioned him being ready in Year 3, which is perhaps why Foles got the extension. In their perfect world Foles is that infamous bridge QB to Mannion, who develops nice and quietly on the sidelines.

Foles flopping doesn't change Mannion's ability to be ready. If you're cooking a turkey you can't make it ready quicker just because you dropped the appetizers on the floor and the dog ate them. The turkey has to cook for as long as it takes to cook turkey.

(is it Christmas yet?)

Of course all this assumes that Fisher and company have a clue as to what they have in Mannion, and how to develop him. And you know what they say about what happens when you assume...

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Some Saints fans are saying they might let Brees go after this year. All I can think is...nope. Too good to be true. No way the Rams would get Brees as a stop gap while we develop a QB ot the future.

Only trouble there is the Foles contract he is costing us between 9-10mil next year, I can't see Brees getting less than $20+ open market (and I assume multiyear). The Rams would then have $30+ mil wrapped up in QB - not sure anyone else in the league would be spending that much, and with the FA we have coming up not sure we can swing it and retain the talent we "should" keep.

That is the trouble with the Foles extension (not with the trade)...it handcuffed us this offseason. it is unlikely Foles isn't here next year simple because under the contract I think he actually costs us more to cut than to keep....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only trouble there is the Foles contract he is costing us between 9-10mil next year, I can't see Brees getting less than $20+ open market (and I assume multiyear). The Rams would then have $30+ mil wrapped up in QB - not sure anyone else in the league would be spending that much, and with the FA we have coming up not sure we can swing it and retain the talent we "should" keep.

That is the trouble with the Foles extension (not with the trade)...it handcuffed us this offseason. it is unlikely Foles isn't here next year simple because under the contract I think he actually costs us more to cut than to keep....

We can swing it. Couldn't do much in FA besides Brees but we could pull it off. Likely would mean letting one of Trumaine or Janoris go, though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it's clear that the Rams are going to draft a QB high regardless of who is the head coach. My guess is it will be Cook, who will be a massive upgrade to the position from a talent perspective. But it also would not surprise me to see them move up to get Goff or Lynch.

But yet again I'm gonna observe that this team's biggest problem is they need an upgrade in offensive brainpower. Fisher's hires on offense have been terrible and the product on the field is an extension of that. It is not just about the players. We routinely see defensive draft picks develop while the offensive picks stagnate, and it is because of the coaching, teaching, and scheming is not up to snuff.

Now we are in a situation where we need to draft a QB as well as at least one WR and bring those guys along quickly behind a strong ground game... Is Boras up to snuff for that? IMO that is the biggest piece of the puzzle and determiner of whether this team will win next year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But yet again I'm gonna observe that this team's biggest problem is they need an upgrade in offensive brainpower. Fisher's hires on offense have been terrible and the product on the field is an extension of that. It is not just about the players. We routinely see defensive draft picks develop while the offensive picks stagnate, and it is because of the coaching, teaching, and scheming is not up to snuff.

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I regret that I only have one like to give your post.