Hypothetical: Rams Roll with Keenum/Mannion in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you told me the trade off would be the best o-line in the NFL and a star WR, I'm in. Otherwise, hell no.

Asking a lot. Hmm...

Even though our line looks solid on paper next year, this team has the worste luck with injuries to that unit.

Looks like you want to draft a QB. If we keep winning, I don't think we'll have a legit shot of getting Cook or Lynch. Goff/Mannion, is there a big difference? Some say yes, I say no.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Asking a lot. Hmm...

Even though our line looks solid on paper next year, this team has the worste luck with injuries to that unit.

Looks like you want to draft a QB. If we keep winning, I don't think we'll have a legit shot of getting Cook or Lynch. Goff/Mannion, is there a big difference? Some say yes, I say no.

We don't just need a good line, we need depth. I'm not saying draft a QB or find one, but if the line stays this thin, Keenum and Manion just couldn't be the answer in my mind. Not yet at least with Manion.

I'm glad the Rams won, I wouldn't count on any more this season with the injuries.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We don't just need a good line, we need depth. I'm not saying draft a QB or find one, but if the line stays this thin, Keenum and Manion just couldn't be the answer in my mind. Not yet at least with Manion.

I'm glad the Rams won, I wouldn't count on any more this season with the injuries.

Aaron Rogers would have many tough games in this offense, man. We gotta get these holes filled no matter who is our QB next year. WR is my first area to address as of now.

I think we win Thursday. Not gonna look past it for now. I can't even remember the last time we won in prime time. I think you gotta go back to Bulger to find it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call me crazy but I'm willing to watch the progression of the offense over the last 3 games.
Keenum did some good things yesterday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call me crazy but I'm willing to watch the progression of the offense over the last 3 games.
Keenum did some good things yesterday.

You're not a crazy person but you're not thinking clearly. I watched the game on NFL Rewind, Case Keenum did not play well. He was better than Foles...which is a start but he still wasn't anywhere near serviceable starter territory.

Aaron Rogers would have many tough games in this offense, man. We gotta get these holes filled no matter who is our QB next year. WR is my first area to address as of now.

I think we win Thursday. Not gonna look past it for now. I can't even remember the last time we won in prime time. I think you gotta go back to Bulger to find it.

We'd have 9-10 wins right now if Aaron Rodgers was at QB. The first hole we need to address is QB. Gotta have a plan there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let's not go there. That's like saying, "But Jaguars fans, how can you be mad? You demanded a QB of the future so I drafted Blaine Gabbert."

Luckily for the Jags, they dug themselves out of that hole finally.
Oh I went there. I'm merely pointing out that whatever Fisher does (even if it's exactly what people wanted him to do), it's wrong. Again, nobody thought Foles would do so poorly. Especially after they saw what this team did against Seattle in the opener. So calling it a failure now, even if it's justified, is shall we say ..... convenient? And what was Jacksonville supposed to do when they needed a QB? Use a crystal ball to determine that Dalton would have been a better choice and pick him up in the first round even though he wasn't a first round talent at the time and 2 other QB-needy teams passed on him? What were the Rams' options in 2010 as it relates to getting a QB in the draft? Take the consensus #1, right? How'd that work out? Nothing is guaranteed. Including tanking the season in order to get into better position to pick up a QB who may or may not be a better option than Mannion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I went there. I'm merely pointing out that whatever Fisher does (even if it's exactly what people wanted him to do), it's wrong. Again, nobody thought Foles would do so poorly. Especially after they saw what this team did against Seattle in the opener. So calling it a failure now, even if it's justified, is shall we say ..... convenient? And what was Jacksonville supposed to do when they needed a QB? Use a crystal ball to determine that Dalton would have been a better choice and pick him up in the first round even though he wasn't a first round talent at the time and 2 other QB-needy teams passed on him? What were the Rams' options in 2010 as it relates to getting a QB in the draft? Take the consensus #1, right? How'd that work out? Nothing is guaranteed. Including tanking the season in order to get into better position to pick up a QB who may or may not be a better option than Mannion.

Nah. I'm actually fine with him drafting the OLs. We knew we'd have issues this year with the youth and he can't control injuries. Saffold? Sure. We could see that coming. But we planned for it. No way of knowing Jamon, Rob, and half of the backups would go down.

No, nobody thought Foles would be so terrible. But a lot of people didn't think he was good. What was their backup plan? Clearly wasn't Mannion. And that was a pick a lot of people were displeased with. Not to mention the fact that 2015 was a bit late to be trying to address that problem.

It's not about doing what people are asking for. It's about doing it correctly.

The Browns have been trying to draft QBs for years. Do you think that their fans are forgiving of all the shit at the QB position over the last decade because of that? No. Doing something and getting it wrong does nobody any good.

Fisher gets paid a shitload of money to get it right.

As for Jacksonville, what were they supposed to do? NOT DRAFT BLAINE GABBERT. It didn't take hindsight for me to make that call.(or for a whole lot of others to make the same call) No crystal ball necessary. If they didn't like Dalton then trade a mid round pick for a backup you like (such as Matt Flynn) or sign a bridge QB in FA and take your lumps. If Flynn fails, oh well...you didn't lose a 1st and a 2nd on him and quite a bit of money as well as time.

Their job isn't to just get it done...it's to get it right. When you don't, you're accountable for it.

If you do an assignment that someone asks you to do at work and fuck it up, do people let you off the hook because you tried? You make mistakes. You own up to them. You fix them. Fisher hasn't managed to get the job done when it comes to fixing his mistakes.

If Mannion is such a good option, why is he stuck behind two QBs that collectively make up the most ineffective unit in the NFL?

I'm not blaming Fisher for a lack of effort. He's tried. I'm blaming him for his failures. When you're getting paid what he's getting paid with the amount of time he's been here, you can't keep failing. I'd expect you to hold me to the same standard if I worked for/with you.

Fisher needs to do his job AND do it well. He hasn't thus far.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As for Jacksonville, what were they supposed to do? NOT DRAFT BLAINE GABBERT. It didn't take hindsight for me to make that call.(or for a whole lot of others to make the same call) No crystal ball necessary. If they didn't like Dalton then trade a mid round pick for a backup you like (such as Matt Flynn) or sign a bridge QB in FA and take your lumps. If Flynn fails, oh well...you didn't lose a 1st and a 2nd on him and quite a bit of money as well as time.
Man, SO much of what you said was total hindsight criticism, but let's just go with this right now and parallel it with the Rams' situation. So what was Fisher supposed to do then? His options were to bank on Bradford, or draft a replacement QB in 2012, or get a bridge FA QB. You wanted them to keep Bradford because you believed in him (as did a lot of people). And that's what they did.

2012, he played a full year, so no need to find a replacement QB. Just do what all other teams do and get a 2nd stringer somehow just in case.
2013, he started playing well and got a fluke injury. No need to find replacement QB, because no team does that to their starter.
(maybe they could have drafted one high, but who? which of those QBs are playing their ass off right now?)

2014, he got injured in preseason, so now they understand they need one, and fast. So what do they do in 2015? Trade him, get a 2nd rounder, acquire a backup ("Bridge FA") in Foles, and another back up in Keenum. drafted one in the third round, and picked up arguably the best player in the draft in the process.

Honestly. Cry me a river over that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, SO much of what you said was total hindsight criticism, but let's just go with this right now and parallel it with the Rams' situation. So what was Fisher supposed to do then? His options were to bank on Bradford, or draft a replacement QB in 2012, or get a bridge FA QB. You wanted them to keep Bradford because you believed in him (as did a lot of people). And that's what they did.

2012, he played a full year, so no need to find a replacement QB. Just do what all other teams do and get a 2nd stringer somehow just in case.
2013, he started playing well and got a fluke injury. No need to find replacement QB, because no team does that to their starter.
(maybe they could have drafted one high, but who? which of those QBs are playing their ass off right now?)

2014, he got injured in preseason, so now they understand they need one, and fast. So what do they do in 2015? Trade him, get a 2nd rounder, acquire a backup ("Bridge FA") in Foles, and another back up in Keenum. drafted one in the third round, and picked up arguably the best player in the draft in the process.

Honestly. Cry me a river over that.

Bring in a QB after 2013. I liked signing Shaun Hill as a backup. But we should have drafted someone in addition to that. Someone much better than Garrett Gilbert.

And then I didn't like the decision in 2015 to draft Mannion. Felt that Garrett Grayson was a better prospect.

And if I get paid $28 million over 4 years, you have every right to look at all the major mistakes I've made in hindsight. Especially when they keep the team from winning football games.

This isn't a charity. He's getting paid to get the job done. He isn't. This is a results driven business. You only get the BOTD for so long.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're not a crazy person but you're not thinking clearly. I watched the game on NFL Rewind, Case Keenum did not play well. He was better than Foles...which is a start but he still wasn't anywhere near serviceable starter territory.
I didnt say he played well and I too rewatched the game.
I said he did some good things, which he did.
He's got 3 more games to show progression
With all the young talent on the offense side, it sure would be nice to bring back a QB next season instead of the revolving door QB sitch we've had.
Is Keenum the guy? Dammed if I know. But what I do know is that it takes more than a game or two to figure it out.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I liked the Foles Bradford trade, don't get me wrong I loved Bradford, but he needed to be able to stay on the field, you know we drafted the #1 QB a few years ago, if things would have panned out we could be a SB contender now, but hey, shit happens and it happens a lot when you're a Rams Fan. But back to Foles for a minute - the guy was definitely an upgrade over Davis / Hill / Clemens so I was happy - and I was happy that we picked Mannion up too - I was stoked, he was a QB that I rated highly in the draft and I though that behind Foles he'd get a couple of years of NFL-ready development, but like I said, shit happens and Foles has really been quite awful (apart from the Seattle game - which got me really excited about this season) maybe before we look at the QBs for next year we need to look at why Foles has regressed, why he is so poor this year, or was his regression inevitable due to his ability? It could be that something in the coaching setup isn't right when it comes to the QB position? maybe look at getting a sports psychologist in on Foles for some one-to-one work to quote High School Musical - "he's got to get his head in the game"

A couple of side points to the QB situation:

O-line: I believe this has been fixed, the guys just need to get up to speed - injuries happen, we just need to invest in swing players maybe? I have been toying with drafting a solid LT and moving GRob to LG, but thats me just tinkering with ideas for the draft next year.

TE: I've never been happy with the Cook signing, I'd be more than happy in drafting a new guy here, or seeing who's available in FA, there are a couple of guys that I'd like to see in horns ;)

WRs: Britt and Quick. I loved the Britt signing, but I think the well has now run dry, as for Quick, I think he needs a fresh start elsewhere.

Draft 2016: I'm not sure if there are any QBs in there that would change our side dramatically so I'd like to see us pick up some big (non-prospect) WRs early, Treadwell / Tyler Boyd / Corey Davis but I'd also like to see us pick up a TE Henry / Howard in R3

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What do I do? The Jaguars seem like they'll be a fun team to follow next year...

They will be, they have a stud Quarterback in the making, Gus Bradley is a very good coach and getting better and they will have Fowler back next year. They could very well win the division this year...Rams have a better defense and special teams and now just need a field general and things could be good, but they need to solidfy the offensive line and signing LT Cordy Glenn moving Robinson inside and drafting Max Tuerk or Nick Martin will go along way in improving the offensive line.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bring in a QB after 2013. I liked signing Shaun Hill as a backup. But we should have drafted someone in addition to that. Someone much better than Garrett Gilbert.

And then I didn't like the decision in 2015 to draft Mannion. Felt that Garrett Grayson was a better prospect.

And if I get paid $28 million over 4 years, you have every right to look at all the major mistakes I've made in hindsight. Especially when they keep the team from winning football games.

This isn't a charity. He's getting paid to get the job done. He isn't. This is a results driven business. You only get the BOTD for so long.
Fair enough homie.

Stel

Starter

Agree.

In 2013, I wanted Ryan Nassib early day 3. He went a few picks before we took Barrett Jones in the 4th.
In 2014, I wanted either Tom Savage or AJ McCarron early day 3. We took Alexander instead. At least that one looks like a good pick.
In 2015, I wanted Garrett Grayson (I thought he was worth a late 2nd). We took Jamon Brown instead.

The picks we made those years weren't bad picks at the time, but they were picks that neglected a huge need we had and they were picks at positions were other options existed. At this point, I don't know whether any of those QBs will become solid NFL starters but I know you have to pick a QB prospect to ever have one develop for you.

I like Mannion more than you but I vastly preferred Grayson to Mannion.

MountainRam

Rookie
Steve Mcnair took 3 years to develop under Fisher. Blaming neither for 3 years of development. If it is any indication, there is no light at the end of this tunnel in 2016.

EDIT: To win in 2016, If I were Rams HC, I would hire Ken Whisenhunt as OC. Trade for Matt Moore. Keep Foles and Mannion. Let Moore and Foles win a true competition. Sign/draft a true #1 WR. Draft one more OL in top 3 rounds. Sign a swing tackle/guard. Cut Cook. Sign a TE. Go fishing!

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
lol @ this fan base.

2015:

Fans: "I swear to GOD if Fisher doesn't draft ALL offensive lineman, get rid of Bradford, draft a QB, fire Schotty, and fix this crappy run game, he should be murdered."
Fisher: "Okay, I did all that."
Fans: "What the freak did you do THAT for?????"
Haha, true.
The fixes always look simple on paper.
I have no problem with Keenum but, like Foles, he is limited, although in a different sort of way.
He is a good back up QB in my estimation and I would like the Rams to keep him going forward....with the idea that he is the back up QB.
To me, not knowing if there will be big changes to coaching/approach in the offseason, there are only two approaches if a team is interested in winning now. Bring in a vet pocket passer or start Keenum and draft a QB in the first round to be a long term guy.
There list of FA QB that interest me, as I have said 100 times now, is a list of one. But, I am sure that guy is going to get a major bump in pay and may have no interest in going to the Rams even if the Rams wanted to pay him.
I am not excited about the prospect of a rookie QB in the short term. With the Rams and their D, they need to try to win now before the D starts to get picked apart.

fearsomefour

Legend

I liked Grayson too, that was my QB in the draft.
How will he work out? Who knows as he has some limitations too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sign LT Cordy Glenn as a free agent play him at LT, move Greg Robinson inside to LG and draft Max Turek out of USC to play Center and this plan with Chase Daniels at QB is courtesy of our own @BonifayRam !

On this den-the-coach four element plan mentioned above sounds OK with me but I'm only on board with 3/4's of the above. Yes & Yes again on the signing the Bills Cordy Glenn to resolve any future issues at OLT. All in on securing a talented young center with the 3rd or 4th round 2016 draft selection. Just fine with looking hard @ a QB like Daniels. But I do not desire Robinson playing OLG, I want Jamon Brown starting there. GRob will have to find his own niche in the 2016 OL entering his 3rd season.

Robinson holds his own on most of his run blocking plays IMO but finds "FAIL MODE" often in most all pass protection schemes. He needs to prove he has leaned the" Brain" side of being a starter NFL OL'er.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They will be, they have a stud Quarterback in the making, Gus Bradley is a very good coach and getting better and they will have Fowler back next year. They could very well win the division this year...Rams have a better defense and special teams and now just need a field general and things could be good, but they need to solidfy the offensive line and signing LT Cordy Glenn moving Robinson inside and drafting Max Tuerk or Nick Martin will go along way in improving the offensive line.

There's also another Matthews in this draft. Plays Center. ;)