Hypothetical: Rams Roll with Keenum/Mannion in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I know we've been harping on the QB's all year and the FA class for QB's isn't much, as usual. Fact of the matter is if we do draft a rookie QB, he's gonna take time to develope. Defenses will continue to stack the box and so on. We have Mannion waiting in the wings and who is to say he won't be as good as a guy like Connor Cook?

Rams will likely be in a position to draft a guy like Treadwell and another mid/high round WR to bolster the passing game. Or they could go another direction and draft Tunsil or Stanley and move Robinson inside or to the bench. We void both options if we go QB in round one.

Mainly all I'm doing is laying out some food for thought going forward. If Keenum can manage the game like he did today then I'm all for giving him the nod next year and getting him some weapons. Mannion will be ready in time, hopefully.

Just gonna have to see how these next few games go. Hopefully Boras and the offense found something to latch on to today that sticks with this team all the way to 2016. Plus just generally really like Treadwell.

What you got, fellas? First impulse. :)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
StoipMadness_large.jpg

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I could live with taking Treadwell or someone like that and rolling with Case and Mannion, simply because that's the way our offense is built, and I think Keenum's done "ok" which is kind of what this offense needs from the position.

The alternative for me is to draft QB first and then fix the WR issue by throwing money at a top guy in free agency (Jeffrey).

Which they do depends on whether they consider it likely they can attract high quality free agents like that which hasn't always been the case, and whether they think the QB or WR is the better long term prospect.

MountainRam

Rookie
I know we've been harping on the QB's all year and the FA class for QB's isn't much, as usual. Fact of the matter is if we do draft a rookie QB, he's gonna take time to develope. Defenses will continue to stack the box and so on. We have Mannion waiting in the wings and who is to say he won't be as good as a guy like Connor Cook?

Rams will likely be in a position to draft a guy like Treadwell and another mid/high round WR to bolster the passing game. Or they could go another direction and draft Tunsil or Stanley and move Robinson inside or to the bench. We void both options if we go QB in round one.

Mainly all I'm doing is laying out some food for thought going forward. If Keenum can manage the game like he did today then I'm all for giving him the nod next year and getting him some weapons. Mannion will be ready in time, hopefully.

Just gonna have to see how these next few games go. Hopefully Boras and the offense found something to latch on to today that sticks with this team all the way to 2016. Plus just generally really like Treadwell.

What you got, fellas? First impulse. :)

You are a better Rams fan than me for all intents and purpose. But geez, How far have the mighty have fallen, eh, since GSOT days to think 142 yards and an INT is game management?

I have to tip my hat to Rams front office and coaches of the last 10 years who helped us get to this state of mind. I mean this is beyond sad if Keenum/Manion combination start 2016 as top 2 QBs.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Until I see proof that Mannion can't play, I see him as the QB of the future. It would be nice to move him up the depth chart as Foles moves down, but Fish is not exactly a forward thinker.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I don't think that we get a chance to draft a better QB so the OP's plan is what we will be stuck with.

Unless we sign Payton Manning!:santa:

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I don't think that we get a chance to draft a better QB so the OP's plan is what we will be stuck with.

Unless we sign Payton Manning!:santa:

I wonder how effective Manning can play with a cane while wearing adult diapers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Please no. Keenum is not any sort of answer. He is a backup at best. Rams won that game on the backs of their defense and patient use of the run game by our new OC. But make no mistake:

* Keenum isn't good enough.
* Foles isn't good enough.
* Mannion might not be good enough, since he can't earn a look with Keenum in front of him.
* Boras might not be good enough.

That rabbit hole goes pretty deep in terms of the problems with this offense, on to WR and OL, even TE. But one thing's for sure: QB needs a major upgrade and that is not going to change unless they give Mannion a shot and he shows something. Which is not gonna happen with Fish fighting for wins to save his job.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I assume many (most?) posters feel about it as I do...

Rams MUST use their top pick on a QB of the future.

Goff, Lynch, Cook, or someone else... just seems like Rams have no choice but to roll the dice.

Personally I'd be willing to give up our 2016 1st, 2016 2nd, and 2017 1st in order to move up, if we have to.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think that Mannion and Keenum would continue the noble tradition we've seen of Sean Hill, Austin Davis, and Kellen Clemens. Relying on either Keenum or Mannion would be a huge mistake IMHO.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
good luck with that lol. Fisher is the reason for building this lopsided team of madness.us fans just going along with it. I mean which is crazier the ideas thrown out by the fans or Fisher in year 4 banking on his man crush nick Foles, giving him an extension before his first snap and drafting 5 rookies to protect him with 2 starting and two more to back them up. not including a first year center a always injured guard lined up to a second year underperforming LT. now that was the stupidest thing I've seen all year and I called it before the first game. disaster

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
good luck with that lol. Fisher is the reason for building this lopsided team of madness.us fans just going along with it. I mean which is crazier the ideas thrown out by the fans or Fisher in year 4 banking on his man crush nick Foles, giving him an extension before his first snap and drafting 5 rookies to protect him with 2 starting and two more to back them up. not including a first year center a always injured guard lined up to a second year underperforming LT. now that was the stupidest thing I've seen all year and I called it before the first game. disaster
All sad....all true.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol @ this fan base.

2015:

Fans: "I swear to GOD if Fisher doesn't draft ALL offensive lineman, get rid of Bradford, draft a QB, fire Schotty, and fix this shitty run game, he should be murdered."
Fisher: "Okay, I did all that."
Fans: "What the fuck did you do THAT for?????"

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I assume many (most?) posters feel about it as I do...

Rams MUST use their top pick on a QB of the future.

Goff, Lynch, Cook, or someone else... just seems like Rams have no choice but to roll the dice.

Personally I'd be willing to give up our 2016 1st, 2016 2nd, and 2017 1st in order to move up, if we have to.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think that Mannion and Keenum would continue the noble tradition we've seen of Sean Hill, Austin Davis, and Kellen Clemens. Relying on either Keenum or Mannion would be a huge mistake IMHO.

You could get RG3 or Johnny FB for those picks and you'd still not have a QB. So where's the guarantee that you can pick a better QB in next years draft?? If you think that there is a QB worth taking you take him, otherwise you have to go another direction and try to win with what you have.

Like with most of those medications advertised on TV these days, it's a crap shoot!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That was not the question, but understand your level of insanity, however, common sense needs to prevail here and Case Keenum is not the solution, but currently does give this team the best chance to win, in order to go to the next level and bonafide field general needs to be added and you know it, I know it and the American people know it.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I wouldn't give up alot if premium draft picks to move up unless there was a can't miss Qb available. As we all know there is no such Qb in next year's draft so 1 of our 2nds is all I would give up.But I would still like to see Mannion start the last 3 games to get a good look at him.Given an opportunity some players have taken it and succeeded with the chance to prove themselves. We know what Keenum and Foles cant and can do so give the kid a shot. The worst that can happen is he loses 3 straight games,at this point that just gives us a better draft slot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You don't force taking a QB if you don't see him as an answer or deserving of the pick. If Mannion looks like he is as good as Cook or Goff, you go elsewhere. If not, and you view one of the QBs as BPA in an area of need, you go for it. But I'm looking at this class of QBs, I'm not seeing any must have guys. So do I need for the Rams to take a QB? No. Do we need to fill the QB position? Absolutely. Does them taking a QB from this class in the first round tell me they are serious about getting it figured out? Not by some sort of default.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So who here says Connor Cook/Lynch/Goff does any better than Keenum while throwing to basically the same cast and a mid/high rookie WR or two? I could see it, but if you draft a QB in the first round you essentially throw in the towel on Mannion. A rookie QB most likely means Keenum stars next year, anyway. If that's the case, we are headed for a 5th year rebuild under Fisher. Don't you gotta start winning at some point? What really stinks is had we taken Watkins over Robinson, we'd be talking about draft Stanley or Tunsel. So we talk about talking Treadwell instead and stuck with Robinson. (Too early to throw in the towel on G-Rob.)

And going back to the QB situation, there is NO point in drafting a second round QB when we got Mannion.

Like I said in the OP, we gotta wait and see. There is NO question Keenum did enough to beat BAL. Had the D not given up that lead, etc, I think we're viewing Keenum in a different light. He'd be 2-0 right now.

I'm thinking more and more Keenum is the guy until Mannion is ready. HOPEFULLY Mannion does become that guy. He was drafted as a prototypical pocket passer, he has all the tools. It's a really tough call.