How warm is Jeff Fisher's seat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How safe is Jeff Fisher?

• Very safe. Franchise coach.

Votes: 79 37.8%
  • Safe. Likely for the rest of his contract.

Votes: 114 54.5%
  • Warm. If 7 or less wins needs to make coaching changes.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Hot. If 7 or less wins could be fired.

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I don't get how he can't share in at least some blame for the QB situation? For one, Bradford wasn't even a full year post-op, yet he was playing. The statistics say that ACL patients are at a higher risk to re-injure their repaired ACL in the first year. I have to wonder if he was put in too soon. Second, why does he get a pass for not having any type of plan for if Bradford either got hurt again or just didn't play well? Leaders are supposed to plan ahead. They should have traded down from 2 for an extra first in next year's draft in the case that they needed to draft another QB(and several of us said as much before the draft). Fisher and Snead put all their chips on Bradford and lost.

I think Fisher is safe for right now but don't think he's a franchise coach or even close to being bullet proof. He'll get a pass for this year due to Bradford but if they have another mediocre year after this year, I have to think his seat will be hot. I know everyone on this site thinks Fisher is infallible but I tend to agree with the article that was posted about a week ago where NFL people ranked NFL coaches and said that Fisher is a great coach but needs to stay out of the front office/draft room.
You make some good points about Bradford or the lack of Bradford.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't get how he can't share in at least some blame for the QB situation? For one, Bradford wasn't even a full year post-op, yet he was playing. The statistics say that ACL patients are at a higher risk to re-injure their repaired ACL in the first year. I have to wonder if he was put in too soon. Second, why does he get a pass for not having any type of plan for if Bradford either got hurt again or just didn't play well? Leaders are supposed to plan ahead. They should have traded down from 2 for an extra first in next year's draft in the case that they needed to draft another QB(and several of us said as much before the draft). Fisher and Snead put all their chips on Bradford and lost.

I think Fisher is safe for right now but don't think he's a franchise coach or even close to being bullet proof. He'll get a pass for this year due to Bradford but if they have another mediocre year after this year, I have to think his seat will be hot. I know everyone on this site thinks Fisher is infallible but I tend to agree with the article that was posted about a week ago where NFL people ranked NFL coaches and said that Fisher is a great coach but needs to stay out of the front office/draft room.
He did have a plan though ,he let KC walk and got a better back up,and a rookie forced to start BK of injury wouldn't help us now ,unless he was just lights out,Hill would still be playing.

Further we haven't "lost" yet ,AND I have to ask if we go 10-6 are those who are of the same mind as you will give him the sort of credit that will deserve .

Not BTW to be snarky, but IF Fisher "needs to stay out of the draft room ,why do fans think they are qualified in that capacity ,I think Snead wants him there ,he DID BTW over rule the push for Manziel ,was that a bad decision in your mind ? IMO it was a great decision

V3

Hall of Fame
You make it sound as if they didn't do anything to prepare for this. Shaun Hill is an example of what they did to cover themselves for THIS YEAR. Just because they haven't already made the move to trade up for NEXT YEAR's draft, none of us, including you, know that they won't or can't do it before the draft. Wouldn't have made one bit of difference who they drafted this year, that rookie QB wasn't going to be a part of any solution for this year.

Backup QB's are for temporary stints where the starting QB get injured. If a team's backup has to start for an extended period of time, the team is in major trouble. Hill was a perfect backup QB, that is, a QB that can fill in for a few games if Bradford only had to miss a short period of time. Hill is also not the long term solution which is my whole point.

And next year when they have to draft a QB high, they're going to have to give up a boatload like Washington to get to the top QB's because we aren't going to be drafting at the top again. If they had that extra first rounder from this draft, it wouldn't hurt as much or cause as many repercussions down the road. And I never mentioned anything about drafting a QB this past draft. I agree they probably would have had little impact to this season. I'm talking about next year's draft when they WILL be taking one.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Backup QB's are for temporary stints where the starting QB get injured. If a team's backup has to start for an extended period of time, the team is in major trouble. Hill was a perfect backup QB, that is, a QB that can fill in for a few games if Bradford only had to miss a short period of time. Hill is also not the long term solution which is my whole point.

And next year when they have to draft a QB high, they're going to have to give up a boatload like Washington to get to the top QB's because we aren't going to be drafting at the top again. If they had that extra first rounder from this draft, it wouldn't hurt as much or cause as many repercussions down the road. And I never mentioned anything about drafting a QB this past draft. I agree they probably would have had little impact to this season. I'm talking about next year's draft when they WILL be taking one.
I wouldn't have traded the extra 1st round pick (Donald) for the prospects of selecting a QB in next years draft. And early indications seem to point to NEXT years QB draft being much deeper than this past year. So I disagree with you that it will take a Washington-like deal to get one.

Regardless, I think it has very little bearing on Fisher's status or his long term tenure here.

V3

Hall of Fame
He did have a plan though ,he let KC walk and got a better back up,and a rookie forced to start BK of injury wouldn't help us now ,unless he was just lights out,Hill would still be playing.

Further we haven't "lost" yet ,AND I have to ask if we go 10-6 are those who are of the same mind as you will give him the sort of credit that will deserve .

Not BTW to be snarky, but IF Fisher "needs to stay out of the draft room ,why do fans think they are qualified in that capacity ,I think Snead wants him there ,he DID BTW over rule the push for Manziel ,was that a bad decision in your mind ? IMO it was a great decision

Like I said, I think Fisher is a great coach and gets a ton out of his players. I give him credit for his on-the-field tactics. There have been plenty of questionable personnel moves that Fisher(I'll even throw Snead in there) has made that people questioned at the time. And when an article comes out stating other professional's opinions about Fisher and they say the exact same thing(great coach, just stay out of the FO), it's not just some crazy fan's outrageous thoughts. It's not like Fisher is some new coach with little track record. He has a HUGE sample size. He has a .532 winning percentage. That isn't that great. He's definitely better than what we've had but he also isn't so amazing that he's immune to second guessing.

And that bit about Manziel, I don't believe for a second the Rams had any intention to take him. It was a smokescreen and everyone knew it.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I'm not convinced we should or will trade up to land a QB. I'm glad we didn't take a QB this year at 2 or 13. They would have been doing it just to do it. There wasn't a QB good enough to take in the 1st IMO, although Bortles looks to make me eat though words later.
TBH, I'd rather get a 2nd or 3rd rounder with good skill set and skip the whole franchise savior stuff.

V3

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't have traded the extra 1st round pick (Donald) for the prospects of selecting a QB in next years draft. And early indications seem to point to NEXT years QB draft being much deeper than this past year. So I disagree with you that it will take a Washington-like deal to get one.

Regardless, I think it has very little bearing on Fisher's status or his long term tenure here.
I was referring to the 2nd pick overall. Buffalo offered to trade with the Rams at #2. I would have jumped all over that knowing that Bradford was a huge risk. By having that extra first next year, the Rams would be better able to get the QB that they want and they wouldn't have to sacrifice the future to get him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher is the ultimate player's coach and I do love that about him, however, Fisher's biggest weakness is his greatest strength....Loyalty, he's loyal to a fault!
Loyalty is the reason he gets the results he gets from his Coach's and Players! I don't want him to change!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I was referring to the 2nd pick overall. Buffalo offered to trade with the Rams at #2. I would have jumped all over that knowing that Bradford was a huge risk. By having that extra first next year, the Rams would be better able to get the QB that they want and they wouldn't have to sacrifice the future to get him.
fair enough, I just don't agree. c'est la vie

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm not convinced we should or will trade up to land a QB. I'm glad we didn't take a QB this year at 2 or 13. They would have been doing it just to do it. There wasn't a QB good enough to take in the 1st IMO, although Bortles looks to make me eat though words later.
TBH, I'd rather get a 2nd or 3rd rounder with good skill set and skip the whole franchise savior stuff.
If you want to go the 2nd or 3rd round QB route, the Rams better have EXCELLENT QB scouts and a ton of luck on their side because the success rate for those QB's is incredibly low. You'll also need to probably wait a year or two before they are able to play, too.

Slappy967

Starter
I think Fisher is in a good spot as he has come as close to polishing this turd into a diamond as possible. He inherited an expansion team of "talent" and has turned that into a quality team. Not only that but of the available coaches out there, I don't see any of them having a shot at performing as well as Fisher has.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Loyalty is the reason he gets the results he gets from his Coach's and Players! I don't want him to change!!

Me either, it's also my greatest strength and biggest weakness! But, it has come back to bite me, however, I am hopeful that Fisher take this team to the next level.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If you want to go the 2nd or 3rd round QB route, the Rams better have EXCELLENT QB scouts and a ton of luck on their side because the success rate for those QB's is incredibly low. You'll also need to probably wait a year or two before they are able to play, too.

From what I've seen recently, it's not much better lately for 1st rounders either.

V3

Hall of Fame
From what I've seen recently, it's not much better lately for 1st rounders either.
IMO, that's because teams are forcing QB picks simply because they need a QB. They are taking QB's that have no business being taken in the first round. There have been a lot of QBs that many were shocked to see go in the first. I think this last draft showed that perhaps teams might be learning that that's a huge mistake. We'll see.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
IMO, that's because teams are forcing QB picks simply because they need a QB. They are taking QB's that have no business being taken in the first round. There have been a lot of QBs that many were shocked to see go in the first. I think this last draft showed that perhaps teams might be learning that that's a huge mistake. We'll see.

I agree wholeheartedly, but that's what I'm afraid that we might do.

Philly5

Rookie
IMO We would need to be 2011 bad in order for Fisher's seat to get Hot for 2015.

In this division, 7 wins vs 9 wins means nothing.

Changing coaches is a reset, but not necessarily a fix. Our window is opening and I don't want to push it back another three years.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't want to package a lot of picks to move up, either. Even for a decent prospect. I don't want to go back to combing practice squads for spare OL like in the dark ages of Ram football.

stlramscar

UDFA
well fisher definitely commands the respect of his player's,something Martz Li.ehan and Spags only wished they had,and he and Snead have turned around the league's doormat into a competitive fisty bunch. But inthe end it still comes down to wins and losses.