How warm is Jeff Fisher's seat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How safe is Jeff Fisher?

• Very safe. Franchise coach.

Votes: 79 37.8%
  • Safe. Likely for the rest of his contract.

Votes: 114 54.5%
  • Warm. If 7 or less wins needs to make coaching changes.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Hot. If 7 or less wins could be fired.

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Today I read a piece on ESPN listing Jeff Fisher as "safe for now". Citing he can't be blamed for Bradford's ACL injury.

I am curious the mental state of ROD as it relates to Jeff Fisher; How secure is his job entering season 3, which by most accounts is the magic number for a turnaround?

I expect a number of responses to declare "ask me at the end of the season". Instead, play along...

Without question all of us expect results in the form of wins. Another losing season would suggest a stall in progress.

One could also argue he didn't handle Bradford's comeback appropriately. Not the rehab and preseason utilization, but protecting the roster against another injury by failing to draft a QB high enough to be plan B.

Then again, can we measure his performance strictly by wins and losses? No question he inherited a bare-cupboard roster and would be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think he has rebuilt the talent on this team.

Unlike years past, I find myself in a much different place as it relates to our Head Coach. I feel like we have a franchise guy. There is "control" inside the walls at Rams Park. We have a leader. We have direction. We have a plan.

Can I stomach another losing season? No! But... do I want to start over? No!

I like how the Steelers rode out the highs and lows with Bill Cowher. Granted, we need some highs real quick... But that's the kind of HC I believe we have in Jeff Fisher. A franchise coach.

Thoughts?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
7 wins doesn't change a thing. Add less then 5 wins and I'll sign up for a warm/hot seat. In 2015

7-9 should be gone (baring a Spags type season where everyone and everything gets injured). For me there's no way that a coach should show zero improvement in the win loss column after 3 years and 5 first round picks (2 coming in the top ten) and be coaching game 1 of season 4. I really couldn't care less about circumstances, bare roster? Yawn. Tough division? Yawn. No QB? You put yourself in that position with a series of choices that has lead to Shaun Hill being the QB.

8-8 if an elite coach is available we should go get him, if we're looking at only poor alternatives stick with Fisher for a year and let him go get his QB, reassess the situation at the end of 2015.

9-7 gets another year regardless of alternatives and circumstances.

It's all about the W and the L column for me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
7-9 should be gone (baring a Spags type season where everyone and everything gets injured). For me there's no way that a coach should show zero improvement in the win loss column after 3 years and 5 first round picks (2 coming in the top ten) and be coaching game 1 of season 4. I really couldn't care less about circumstances, bare roster? Yawn. Tough division? Yawn. No QB? You put yourself in that position with a series of choices that has lead to Shaun Hill being the QB.

8-8 if an elite coach is available we should go get him, if we're looking at only poor alternatives stick with Fisher for a year and let him go get his QB, reassess the situation at the end of 2015.

9-7 gets another year regardless of alternatives and circumstances.

It's all about the W and the L column for me.

I figured there would be a strong opinion like this. Good points made.

A55VA6

Legend
He's safe. If the Rams have a bad season, I'd still be very surprised if he was fired. I feel like you gotta at least let him play out his contract and then make a decision.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I for one appreciate his (Snead and Demoff) long term vision to make this a solid competitive franchise. We have suffered with, besides the GSOT years, 2 decades of being a non factor in the NFL. Having a seat at the same table as the Browns, Bills and Jags as cellar dwellers makes me happy to see the Rams field competive teams with additional talent infusing the franchise ever year. True we have had the unfortunate luck to have our QB injured and our Div rise up but that's not Fisher fault. This years team has the most talent laden roster since the GSOT day and it's is a matter of time before they put it all together and make a playoff run.

In Snisher I trust! Now get us a francishe QB! I am a big Bradford fan and hope he comes back but we need a true top tier QB out of the next draft class. (Or Gurley and a 2nd round QB! Lol)

Memphis Ram

Legend
penguin_sitting_on_ice_cube_poster-r1ec1d2064c8148728c5a2576a4795b9e_igl_8byvr_512.jpg

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think he's as safe today as he's ever been ,his team played close ,VERY CLOSE to 500 ball last year without his franchise QB ,some people think that was nothing ,.but with the youngest roster in the league ,it was masterful in my mind .
He's improved the talent level every year and IMO the owner is a steadfast man of rare nature,sure there are going to be people who only look at the record and insist upon change ,but IMO most of the heat will come from discontented fans and a-hole columnists who Stan knows to be exactly that.

No coach is immune to the grim reaper of course ,but for me considering the salary structure/ formula he was given , we couldn't afford to devote a lot more money in the QB position than he was stuck with in Sams contract ,so he's built a good team around what he was given( and BTW I think it was with the owners wholehearted approval).
In the universe of third year coaches I'd say he's safer than any with a comparable record ,his boss knows how good he is and IMO won't blame him for the bad breaks,I don't think it was really his record that got Spags fired ,I think it was how he handled himself in the face of the adversity ( just me I don't think he handled it with the fire you would want to see in a player and set what I saw as a poor example as he grew more and more withdrawn ).
Fisher is MY coach,drunk or right ,sober or wrong

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I tend to fall into the "Franchise Coach" category, which for me is a surprise. I was never a fan when he was in Tennessee. I have in laws who live in Nashville, and they always told me he wasn't the guy I thought he was. Boy were they right.

This is about so much more than W-L for me anyway. This guy just gets the big picture. Seeing him at practice, was eye opening to me, coming off the micro management style of his predecessor. And this latest class act of reaching out to the kids from Ferguson just put an exclamation point on it for me.

Of course I want this team to win. I have struggled just like everyone else in here. But as Fisher continues to put his stamp on this Franchise, I can feel proud to call myself a Rams fan again.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I was glad to see him in a coat and dress shirt in that presser the other day, he has looked like an unmade bed too much lately,MY ONLY problem with him:p

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I was glad to see him in a coat and dress shirt in that presser the other day, he has looked like an unmade bed too much lately,MY ONLY problem with him:p
I get that, but its also part of his appeal for me. When he walks on to the practice field, he looks like he could be your neighbor who you hang out and have a beer with. He is just so laid back in his approach, but at the same time, commands the respect of everyone on that field. He stands back and observes, lets his coaches coach, but trust me, the players all know exactly where he is at all times.

And when he chooses to interject, or makes a point of calling a player over to "chat" they listen.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Of course I want this team to win. I have struggled just like everyone else in here. But as Fisher continues to put his stamp on this Franchise, I can feel proud to call myself a Rams fan again.

I concur with CoachO here because IMO Fisher has a much better situation in St. Louis then he did in Nashville simply because Kroenke takes a laissez faire approach and Bud Adams was the antithesis of that, however, eventually you have to start winning and 7-9 or 8-8 will get old.

I don't blame the Rams for not taking a quarterback if they felt there was no one they truly were in love with, however, next season we'll see how this play out. Fisher took the Ram job because of Bradford and IMO it's sad that he will not see this through with him because IMO the future of the Rams at QB is now playing on Saturdays.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And when he chooses to interject, or makes a point of calling a player over to "chat" they listen.

Fisher is the ultimate player's coach and I do love that about him, however, Fisher's biggest weakness is his greatest strength....Loyalty, he's loyal to a fault!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
No team gets successful flipping their coach every three years. The Rams of today have an identity, and a drafting focus now. People have blamed him for bringing Bradford back too soon, as if the doctors, GM, and Bradford himself had no say. I don't think I wants us to become the Browns.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't get how he can't share in at least some blame for the QB situation? For one, Bradford wasn't even a full year post-op, yet he was playing. The statistics say that ACL patients are at a higher risk to re-injure their repaired ACL in the first year. I have to wonder if he was put in too soon. Second, why does he get a pass for not having any type of plan for if Bradford either got hurt again or just didn't play well? Leaders are supposed to plan ahead. They should have traded down from 2 for an extra first in next year's draft in the case that they needed to draft another QB(and several of us said as much before the draft). Fisher and Snead put all their chips on Bradford and lost.

I think Fisher is safe for right now but don't think he's a franchise coach or even close to being bullet proof. He'll get a pass for this year due to Bradford but if they have another mediocre year after this year, I have to think his seat will be hot. I know everyone on this site thinks Fisher is infallible but I tend to agree with the article that was posted about a week ago where NFL people ranked NFL coaches and said that Fisher is a great coach but needs to stay out of the front office/draft room.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Safe.
No one knows how the plates of hotness is dished out around Rams park but his has ice cream and it's not melting, yet.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I believe Fisher will be there for the duration of his contract. I like the man's style of management because I prefer smash-mouth football. He is the coach who leads the team out of the cellar to the respectable 8-8 to 9-7 territory. Beyond his 5-year contract I have my doubts however unless the Rams make it deep into the playoffs.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't get how he can't share in at least some blame for the QB situation? For one, Bradford wasn't even a full year post-op, yet he was playing. The statistics say that ACL patients are at a higher risk to re-injure their repaired ACL in the first year. I have to wonder if he was put in too soon. Second, why does he get a pass for not having any type of plan for if Bradford either got hurt again or just didn't play well? Leaders are supposed to plan ahead. They should have traded down from 2 for an extra first in next year's draft in the case that they needed to draft another QB(and several of us said as much before the draft). Fisher and Snead put all their chips on Bradford and lost.

I think Fisher is safe for right now but don't think he's a franchise coach or even close to being bullet proof. He'll get a pass for this year due to Bradford but if they have another mediocre year after this year, I have to think his seat will be hot. I know everyone on this site thinks Fisher is infallible but I tend to agree with the article that was posted about a week ago where NFL people ranked NFL coaches and said that Fisher is a great coach but needs to stay out of the front office/draft room.

You make it sound as if they didn't do anything to prepare for this. Shaun Hill is an example of what they did to cover themselves for THIS YEAR. Just because they haven't already made the move to trade up for NEXT YEAR's draft, none of us, including you, know that they won't or can't do it before the draft. Wouldn't have made one bit of difference who they drafted this year, that rookie QB wasn't going to be a part of any solution for this year.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that if Fisher needs another near five hundred year to straighten this comical mess of a team out, it will still constitute a historical turn around. Things just don't normally happen the way that they did in 1999 and that team had a very good defense to start with.
Changing coaches every time they don't make the playoffs is how you keep losing for decades.