How concerned are you with our WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well it drives just fine until it goes into the FSM ... .so I'm hoping that it will get us home. I live too far away to leave it here and no other way to get back... plus ... don't have the cash to get it fixed right at the moment so.... if I can just make it home, then I can have my Indy guy look at it and then decide my next action. just sucks having to worry so much. Have about 200 mi's to go to get home.....
Do you have enough coin to rent a car and a tow bar? Pull that thing home...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey .... I'm with both you guys.... just that I'm on vacation and the tranny in our BMW is having problems :cry: I'm sitting here in the hotel room trying to forget that I have to try and make it home tomorrow limping the thing :cautious: Nothing better than getting your mind off things than reading a Rams forum....while listening to the waves break ....

I was real confused until I read the rest of your posts. I couldn't figure out why you would lock a tranny in your BMW while he/she is having problems. ;) :LOL:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was real confused until I read the rest of your posts. I couldn't figure out why you would lock a tranny in your BMW while he/she is having problems. ;) :LOL:
Have to admit I almost posted the same response. :cool:

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
There have been stretches where Sam gives up on the receivers or focuses on one guy too much because he doesn't trust the others. The problem with that is that you cannot win when you go into a shell and if he would keep throwing to the WRs they will eventually get past their troubles.

By not throwing to a certain receiver in games said receivers confidence won't be built up and no progress made, plus it stifles the offense. So, in other words. Sam, this is what you have to work with, so work with them, don't exclude them, because they dropped some passes.
Brady did that last year and look where that got them,out of the playoffs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Back to Pead. I'm still hopeful that this guy will be used as a 3rd down back ala another so called former 2nd round pick and so-called bust in New England's RB Shane Vereen who wound up with 47 receptions this past season (his 3rd year).

Totally agree here on Pead IMO he's found himself on special teams and can be an excellent third down back because not only does he catch the ball well, but he's very good in pass protection. Hopefully this is the year the Rams utilize him in that capacity and Pead embraces this opportunity.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Browns' Ray Farmer doesn't think a "mega-guy'' like a Josh Gordon is critical to success
By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns general manager Ray Farmer said Wednesday that he doesn't think a superstar receiver is crucial to a team's success, which doesn't necessarily bode well for Josh Gordon's long-term future with the club.

Gordon, who's contract is up after next season, is facing a year-long drug ban from the NFL for failing a marijuana test, according to ESPN.

"I would say 'how important are those guys?''' Farmer told radio partner 92.3 The Fan. "Name the last big-time receiver to win a Super Bowl. Name the last mega-guy. (Gordon) matters to me because I like the guy and I think he's a really good player, but at the end of the day, when you look at the teams that have these mega-receivers, name the last guy that won a Super Bowl?... There are none. The last guy that really helped his team get there was T.O. (Terrell Owens).''

Farmer told the station he'd be open to trading for a receiver.

"Why not?'' he said. "I'm open to every avenue. We're going to unearth every guy that's available.''

Farmer said he hasn't called the Texans about seven-time Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, who's reportedly frustrated with the direction of the Texans' offense.

"He's my age,'' said Farmer. "He's 33. The question is, when do you hit the wall? You never know where the wall is until you hit it. Do you ride them all the way to the wall? Or do you give them up a year in front of the wall?''

Farmer acknowledged he "doesn't know if'' he can replace a Gordon, but doesn't think he has to.

"The reality is that you put guys in there that can play roles,'' Farmer. "If a guy is a mega-talent, you're not just going to go out on the street and find another one. If a guy is not there, you've got to parcel it. You've got to take a guy that can take the top off, you've got to take a guy that can be a possession guy. You've got to take a guy that can play a variety of roles and then you hodgepodge it. You move guys around, you put them in different situations, you use a rotation.''

FRO

Legend
Browns' Ray Farmer doesn't think a "mega-guy'' like a Josh Gordon is critical to success
Follow on Twitter

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns general manager Ray Farmer said Wednesday that he doesn't think a superstar receiver is crucial to a team's success, which doesn't necessarily bode well for Josh Gordon's long-term future with the club.

Gordon, who's contract is up after next season, is facing a year-long drug ban from the NFL for failing a marijuana test, according to ESPN.

"I would say 'how important are those guys?''' Farmer told radio partner 92.3 The Fan. "Name the last big-time receiver to win a Super Bowl. Name the last mega-guy. (Gordon) matters to me because I like the guy and I think he's a really good player, but at the end of the day, when you look at the teams that have these mega-receivers, name the last guy that won a Super Bowl?... There are none. The last guy that really helped his team get there was T.O. (Terrell Owens).''

"Why not?'' he said. "I'm open to every avenue. We're going to unearth every guy that's available.''

Farmer said he hasn't called the Texans about seven-time Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, who's reportedly frustrated with the direction of the Texans' offense.

"He's my age,'' said Farmer. "He's 33. The question is, when do you hit the wall? You never know where the wall is until you hit it. Do you ride them all the way to the wall? Or do you give them up a year in front of the wall?''

Farmer acknowledged he "doesn't know if'' he can replace a Gordon, but doesn't think he has to.

"The reality is that you put guys in there that can play roles,'' Farmer. "If a guy is a mega-talent, you're not just going to go out on the street and find another one. If a guy is not there, you've got to parcel it. You've got to take a guy that can take the top off, you've got to take a guy that can be a possession guy. You've got to take a guy that can play a variety of roles and then you hodgepodge it. You move guys around, you put them in different situations, you use a rotation.''
I don't like this argument. Having a great WR helps the team. It's not Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson's fault their respective teams haven't put a quality team around them. It's like blaming Steven Jackson for the 09' Rams. That's not to say that you have to have an elite WR on your team to win.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't like this argument. Having a great WR helps the team. It's not Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson's fault their respective teams haven't put a quality team around them. It's like blaming Steven Jackson for the 09' Rams. That's not to say that you have to have an elite WR on your team to win.

How much of a difference did having Amendola total 85 catches in his one healthy season make? So you're argument that the reason Detroit hasn't had any success is because they haven't surrounded the "mega-star" with more "productive" players? kinda hard to do when he is the only one getting the ball thrown to him.

The Farmer "argument" is the most practical, and logical. and the most widely utilized around the league. Even by some of the most prolific passing attacks.... Denver, New Orleans, Green Bay. Have role players who all make contributions. They know what that role is, and they perform it well. Defenses take Graham away from Brees, then Colston beats you. If you take him away, then Meachem or Lance Moore steps up and makes a play... and so on.

IMO, its a whole lot easier to find a group of good quality WRs, than it is to get the "mega-guy". And a lot safer in the even the "mega-guy" does down to injury or in the case of Gordon, suspension.

bluesjoc

Long time poster,First time reader
Name
Jeff
Looks like the Brown's did pick up another WR today tho

Miles Austin, who was cut by the Dallas Cowboys earlier this spring, has agreed to terms with the Cleveland Browns, according to their Twitter account.

Austin has played all eight of his NFL seasons in Dallas, catching 301 passes for 4,481 yards and 34 touchdowns.
Among the notable changes for the Browns this off-season is the acquisition of former Texas A&M Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Johnny Manziel, who was drafted by Cleveland with the 22nd pick.
Austin's best year in Dallas was 2009, when he caught 81 passes for 1,320 yards and 11 touchdowns, all career highs. In 2013, Austin played just 11 of the team's 16 games, catching 24 passes with no touchdowns.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Only if I think a wrs. rookie year is the only way to measure him or even his second,people just need to have confidence i the QB cuz his coaches think he has the talent so time for them to mesh.
I like the direction we have chosen with this offense ,we will be multidimensional which is the hardest to defend .

FRO

Legend
How much of a difference did having Amendola total 85 catches in his one healthy season make? So you're argument that the reason Detroit hasn't had any success is because they haven't surrounded the "mega-star" with more "productive" players? kinda hard to do when he is the only one getting the ball thrown to him.

The Farmer "argument" is the most practical, and logical. and the most widely utilized around the league. Even by some of the most prolific passing attacks.... Denver, New Orleans, Green Bay. Have role players who all make contributions. They know what that role is, and they perform it well. Defenses take Graham away from Brees, then Colston beats you. If you take him away, then Meachem or Lance Moore steps up and makes a play... and so on.

IMO, its a whole lot easier to find a group of good quality WRs, than it is to get the "mega-guy". And a lot safer in the even the "mega-guy" does down to injury or in the case of Gordon, suspension.
My point is you don't have to have an elite guy, but acting like losing Gordon is nothing because the Seahawks didn't have that type of guy is weak. If you can get a top tier guy get him because he makes your team better.

Also I feel Denver has an elite guy in Thomas and New Orleans has an elite guy in Graham. Green Bay has 2 guys that are close to elite in Nelson and Cobb.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
My point is you don't have to have an elite guy, but acting like losing Gordon is nothing because the Seahawks didn't have that type of guy is weak. If you can get a top tier guy get him because he makes your team better.

Also I feel Denver has an elite guy in Thomas and New Orleans has an elite guy in Graham. Green Bay has 2 guys that are close to elite in Nelson and Cobb.

Are they elite because of their talents? or because they are part of a productive group, which makes it much more difficult to focus coverage on them? I realize Graham puts up tremendous numbers, and I also think that is what you always come back to. But defenses have also been able to take him out the game when the choose to focus on him, (the Rams for example), and that doesn't derail the offense as much as it does when a team with that "mega-type" player has an "off day".

I get your point, and don't disagree with you. IF a team has a chance to add that type of player, it can be a great addition. That goes without saying. But I think too much is made of "needing" a #1 WR or we are doomed if we don't.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Follow on Twitter

3396470-6656393147-riker.gif

FRO

Legend
Are they elite because of their talents? or because they are part of a productive group, which makes it much more difficult to focus coverage on them? I realize Graham puts up tremendous numbers, and I also think that is what you always come back to. But defenses have also been able to take him out the game when the choose to focus on him, (the Rams for example), and that doesn't derail the offense as much as it does when a team with that "mega-type" player has an "off day".

I get your point, and don't disagree with you. IF a team has a chance to add that type of player, it can be a great addition. That goes without saying. But I think too much is made of "needing" a #1 WR or we are doomed if we don't.
I don't think Graham is an elite TE. I think he is a elite pass catcher. Guy is tall, has long arms, can go up and get it, and is a tremendous athlete. Guy is super hard to cover. Same thing with Thomas.

My overall point is saying that while you don't need elite WRs, losing one is killer and if you can add one you should because they really help your offense. It's like the RB by committee vs the single RB. You can win either way. More teams go to the committee approach, but if you can get an AP, Lynch, McCoy type you should and they would greatly help your team. I don't think there is one blue print to build a great team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
vernon.gif

FRO

Legend
Farmer is right that groups of guys can supplement one guy, but the group has to be good. A broke down Miles Austin and co may not be able to do that. Also the attention the secondary has to pay a guy like Gordon does help the other guys. They are going to have to have guys playing great to replace what Gordon gave them. Is it possible? Absolutely. Can their group of receivers do it? We will find out. It's going to be tough though.

FRO

Legend
Another point, it's going to really be tough on Manziel if he is their starter, because reading defenses wasn't his strong suit. So in his case having a number 1 was huge.