How concerned are you with our WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
When I see Givens and Pettis listed as our WR1 and WR2, and with Bailey out for 4 games, and Britt one more boneheaded move from exiting, I'm very concerned about our WRs at this point.

I'm not sure what the best approach is at this point, but I think adding a vet WR before the start of the season is a good idea.

Anyone have thoughts on how they should address this?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When I see Givens and Pettis listed as our WR1 and WR2, and with Bailey out for 4 games, and Britt one more boneheaded move from exiting, I'm very concerned about our WRs at this point.

I'm not sure what the best approach is at this point, but I think adding a vet WR before the start of the season is a good idea.

Really need Britt to re-invent himself and I understand the sex video has everyone up and arms, but easy does it here. Britt needs to be the number one and until Bailey gets back Givens needs to come back from his season last year that other WR's have gone through.

Keep in mind this is a run first team and I am very pleased with the Tight Ends with Cook, Kendricks, Harkey & maybe Bayer. Which WR makes the team with the Bailey suspension? Justin Veltung, TJ Moe or maybe Austin Franklin? IMO if Britt is cut you could see the Rams trade for WR or even better yet do I dare post the signing of Santonio Holmes to be reunited with Schottenheimer?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Very, But hopefully optimistic.
There are not a lot of inviting solutions out there for me. We may have backed ourselves in a corner if our group doesn't seem ready come the end of preseason

I think RFIP is very comfortable and content with our group though.

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really need Britt to re-invent himself and I understand the sex video has everyone up and arms, but easy does it here. Britt needs to be the number one and until Bailey gets back Givens needs to come back from his season last year that other WR's have gone through.

Keep in mind this is a run first team and I am very pleased with the Tight Ends with Cook, Kendricks, Harkey & maybe Bayer. Which WR makes the team with the Bailey suspension? Justin Veltung, TJ Moe or maybe Austin Franklin? IMO if Britt is cut you could see the Rams trade for WR or even better yet do I dare post the signing of Santonio Holmes to be reunited with Schottenheimer?

You didn't mention Pettis. Personally, I don't see him as anything more than a JAG. Opposing defenses put their worst pass defender on him in single coverage with impunity.

But I agree that Britt is the best bet. I don't trust Quick and his lightbulb ever going on. Givens at best is good for one or two plays a game, but he's clearly not strong enough for a WR1.

If Britt can re-invent himself and with Tavon on the other side, those can be legitimate threats. I am intrigued by Santonio Holmes, though.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I am more concerned with Sam having enough confidence in his receivers to make the big catch.

And do you blame him with the WRs that he has to work with right now?

Memphis Ram

Legend
With a run first, play-action attack, with the TEs getting a nice amount of targets and RBs in Mason (and yes Pead) who can be pretty good catching passes coming out of the backfield? My only worry about the WR core is injury, the creativity of the OC, and how quickly Bradford can get his timing down with them.

Athos

Legend
Snisher went all in with a pair of 8s. We'll see if that's a good enough hand to win in the NFC West. It certainly seems they wanted a rededication to the run game drafting Robinson and Mason. You still gotta make plays through the air though. Givens inability to score and his regression from last year is worrisome. Bailey suspended for basically 5 weeks is worrisome and it will stunt his growth. Quick is Quick.

I'd put a flyer on Santonio Holmes, but it seems they aren't going to be doing anything more at the WR position this year. We'll see how that works. Hopefully Moe makes the team and does work in the slot like he did in college.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not concerned in the slightest. Run the ball and the wrs will make plays.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quick is key. As is Britt.

I think we know what we got with the rest.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I'm not sure if you are asking a question....or merely taking a moment to state your opinion....

I see the WR group for what they are. A secondary means to a ways. The primary is our running game which was bolstered through the drafting of Robinson and Mason (and possibly others but those 2 particularly...) and through our FA signing of Safford...... Which will make defenses commit more resources to stopping it thus making what WRs we have more effective. Yes, I would love to see our WR step up and be much more of a force than they have been. But then again, will we hang our hats on their performances.....no.....we'll live and die w/ our running game, which sets up the passing game. But you won't see a consistent WR from us. We won't use them and when we do it will always be one of many (a different one may lead in yardage every week....).

But do they need to be better where when Sam sees anything, he lets it fly to give them a chance to make the play....yes. But I'm not sure that simple of an answer is what you are looking for. And I think only Fisher could answer your question on the level you want it answered. And I don't think you would enjoy the answer if you could/would get it.........:goodluck:

grease

I'm very concerned too. With so many needs Fisher and Snead addressed the needs that should make the passing attack better. Plus with more emphasis being given to the run we may have enough of a passing attack to win. I like our chances.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Not terribly concerned at all,we're going to be a running team with avengence ,if these guys can't get open with the way defenses are going to have to play one rec. won't save us,we need to cut them all and start over

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And do you blame him with the WRs that he has to work with right now?

There have been stretches where Sam gives up on the receivers or focuses on one guy too much because he doesn't trust the others. The problem with that is that you cannot win when you go into a shell and if he would keep throwing to the WRs they will eventually get past their troubles.

By not throwing to a certain receiver in games said receivers confidence won't be built up and no progress made, plus it stifles the offense. So, in other words. Sam, this is what you have to work with, so work with them, don't exclude them, because they dropped some passes.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm not sure if you are asking a question....or merely taking a moment to state your opinion....

I see the WR group for what they are. A secondary means to a ways. The primary is our running game which was bolstered through the drafting of Robinson and Mason (and possibly others but those 2 particularly...) and through our FA signing of Safford...... Which will make defenses commit more resources to stopping it thus making what WRs we have more effective. Yes, I would love to see our WR step up and be much more of a force than they have been. But then again, will we hang our hats on their performances.....no.....we'll live and die w/ our running game, which sets up the passing game. But you won't see a consistent WR from us. We won't use them and when we do it will always be one of many (a different one may lead in yardage every week....).

But do they need to be better where when Sam sees anything, he lets it fly to give them a chance to make the play....yes. But I'm not sure that simple of an answer is what you are looking for. And I think only Fisher could answer your question on the level you want it answered. And I don't think you would enjoy the answer if you could/would get it.........:goodluck:
I do wonder how Fisher sees his WRs. He's never coached a great one.

lockdnram21

Legend
Imo not concerned at all. Imo confident in the confidence the coaches have in our receivers. I also think Quick will have a breakout year

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
There have been stretches where Sam gives up on the receivers or focuses on one guy too much because he doesn't trust the others. The problem with that is that you cannot win when you go into a shell and if he would keep throwing to the WRs they will eventually get past their troubles.

By not throwing to a certain receiver in games said receivers confidence won't be built up and no progress made, plus it stifles the offense. So, in other words. Sam, this is what you have to work with, so work with them, don't exclude them, because they dropped some passes.
You bring up an interesting point.

I wonder how much better these WRs would perform if Brady or Brees was their QB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO they're coddling Brian Quick...Step up young man, they drafted you high for a reason and this is year three the light better go on and you better be staying after practice and what have you done in the off season?

Rams postiion coach Ray Sherman needs to showcase why some hold him in high regard because I don't care that you coached Jerry Rice and have a great history to this point the WR unit although very young has underachieved...Sherman really wanted Quick referred to him as the next Terrell Owens without the attitude, well, Mr. Sherman time to showcase some tough love to Mr. Quick!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think we have an ok group of WRs - we have a big play potential in Givens, a potential #1 WR in Britt, and lets not forget last years most coveted WR in Tavon Austin couple those guys with our TE's Cook and Kendricks and I think we'll be just fine - that's before we talk about Bailey (I can see him being great with Sam) and Quick (who knows?!).

But the reason I think we'll be ok is that we will see Stacy and Mason bulldozing guys first and foremost... we'll see opposing D's watching the big run then we'll just dink it to Cook or Austin