How Concerned Are You About the Rams O-Line? --RandyK/D.Farr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There was an article a while back talking about how Snead gets obsessed with upgrading positions. He has proven that to be true in all his drafts so far.
I like what he does. You need a CB? Well he'll get you 3 and let them battle it out.
Snead and Fisher have done a great job of adding competition and depth to this young team.
The only exceptions I really didn't like was trading up.Stick to the board.Bailey was a nice pick up,& might even be the better WR(Tavon top A/P),but Austin brings added value.It does go back to the first draft with his grading of Quick & Pead.He is not afraid to trust his board(scouting)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
GSOT doesn't exist without those guys.
Oline alchemy.
It showed once MM devalued the position in the draft.The Rams have been searching ever since.Balitmore got that all pro center from Minnosota that would have changed a lot.The Rams signed Brown.
I think The Rams finally got it right starting with GRob.(would have traded back for 2).The Rams finally got there back up QB for free(trade back).

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It showed once MM devalued the position in the draft.The Rams have been searching ever since.Balitmore got that all pro center from Minnosota that would have changed a lot.The Rams signed Brown.
I think The Rams finally got it right starting with GRob.(would have traded back for 2).The Rams finally got there back up QB for free(trade back).
Brown and Bell were frustrating. Good young players on the rise that ended up being overvalued and over payed.

Ram65

Legend
I want to think the Rams O Line will be good to start and much better in the second half of the year. Ok that's what they will be.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brown and Bell were frustrating. Good young players on the rise that ended up being overvalued and over payed.
Then Wells & Jake Long with injuries & under performing.That's a lot of coin that has been tied up in one of the weak links for years.---Then Jason Smith after that other guy I don't want to remember Barron.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Then Wells & Jake Long with injuries & under performing.That's a lot of coin that has been tied up in one of the weak links for years.---Then Jason Smith after that other guy I don't want to remember Barron.
Yeah. It's not like we haven't tried. Just an incredible string of misses.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah well, people on the internet and tv think they "reached" for every single one of them. So it doesn't count.

Boudreau was in on the Evals, which scares me because he always seems to think he can make a linemen out of an old sweaty sock. I hope his evaluating skills were sharp, this time around.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How could you be anything other than 3? We just don't know yet.

That said, I'm going to contradict myself and say I'm at a "4". :p

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I think Snisher did pretty well upgrading the oline with the position they were in. It wasn't a great FA crop. Barks and his agent priced himself out what the Rams where willing to pay. It seems logical to me to go young instead of paying medicore broken down veterans. As far as I'm concerned the Rams got better with distraction. Don't underestimate Gurleys role in keeping Foles safe. It could get ugly this year, but I think there's enough young blood on this roster to keep Foles alive and the Rams competitive

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Snisher did pretty well upgrading the oline with the position they were in. It wasn't a great FA crop. Barks and his agent priced himself out what the Rams where willing to pay. It seems logical to me to go young instead of paying medicore broken down veterans. As far as I'm concerned the Rams got better with distraction. Don't underestimate Gurleys role in keeping Foles safe. It could get ugly this year, but I think there's enough young blood on this roster to keep Foles alive and the Rams competitive
The Barksdale thing is interesting to me... obviously, he got a cheap, show me deal from San Diego.

Either he really wanted to play there or the relationshiop with the Rams must have deteriorated. Got to figure the Rams would have had no problem paying him what San Diego did, but they didn't try to counter? Or he never gave them the chance? Unfortunate. I wasn't a huge fan and definitely not on board back when he was demaning a big contract.

But, for what San Diego paid? I would have been AOK with that.

Also, good point about Gurley and pass protect. Anyone know what was said about his ability to pick up blitzes? (Usually a concern when it comes to rookies)

Alan

Legend
Rmfnlt wondering about his pass pro:
Also, good point about Gurley and pass protect. Anyone know what was said about his ability to pick up blitzes? (Usually a concern when it comes to rookies)
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...ng-reports-comparisons-running-backs-injuries
Both clearly are willing to work on their pass blocking. They don't shy away from contact or lose the immediate leverage battle. Gordon made his fair share of positioning mistakes when asked to pass block, while Gurley’s issues mostly stemmed from footwork and hand placement at the initial block point. Pass blocking is one of the easier areas of development for NFL running backs, and both have the mental capacity to improve if their teams so choose.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/todd-gurley?id=2552475
WEAKNESSES
Missed three games in 2013 due to ankle injury and tore his ACL in 2014. Questions about whether he'll return back to his play speed are a big concern. Vision is average. Still gaining feel as a zone runner. Too locked into looking for cutback lanes when play-side run is open. Can get better at setting up blockers in space. Average creativity in tight quarters. Patience and tempo as a runner can improve. Quick passing attack limited his protection opportunities but was very average when given the shot.

http://withthefirstpick.com/2014/08/11/pre-season-scouting-report-todd-gurley-rb-georgia/
Blocking
During his junior season, Gurley is going to need to improve his blocking technique. In pass protection, he makes a consistent effort, but his technique can be a bit flawed at times, especially against defensive linemen.

While run blocking, although he rarely is asked to run block, Gurley exhibits his solid understanding of angles to cut off defenders, creating just enough space for the runner (quarterback in the following situation) to break off a solid run.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm only concerned if we are playing from behind, via pass protection. But very confident if we have a lead. Fortunately, our D should keep the score down. I think we will have double digit wins this year.

I really think this is gonna be a very hard thing for the Rams to pull off. I'm gonna try not to be a chicken little . The scouts and Snisher better have thunk this thing through all the way from the end of last season. No clue who is our strongest guy to play center. Our Pivot man is gonna be SO important this season. We will probably have the least experienced OL in the whole league.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all 4 OL draftees have extensive starting experience (NCAA) of course how that will translate into the NFL remains to be seen, obviously there's going to be some growing pains. The staff I'm sure will do their best to set them up to succeed.
Every NEW season always brings New concerns, the Rams are good at approaching them!!(y)