How Concerned Are You About the Rams O-Line? --RandyK/D.Farr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ugh...the Rams might have the worst OL in the league. Hopefully in a couple of years this new crop of guys will be replacing some of those names above....looks worse seeing it on paper.

that-escalated-quickly-anchorman-gif.gif

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We could have a terrible line. We could have a very good line. Or we could be somewhere in between. With the amount of unproven players we're likely going to be using there is no way to know till the games begin.

Speeps

Starter
People are saying the Rams have the worst o line in the league when the only sure starter we have on the line with multiple years of experience is Saffold. The Rams o line is not good or bad, it's unknown. We can't make judgment on it until we see it in action.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OK there is surpose to be so much concern right? Reason for the concern is the fact that the Rams newest additions spare one are all ROOKIES.

Detailed breakdown on how to help prevent so much anxiety here on this matter.(Better let you all know that I have ZERO of that anxiety here). Last season we went into battle with two OL posts that had first yr players running the mandated duties @ times.

One post was OLT Our rookie OL Greg Robinson started 12 games at the age of 21 yrs old @ the most demanding OL post. He had many less starts in College than 3 of the 4 2015 drafted OL'ers & the two 2015 UDFA's had more starts than GR! GR also started with a injured toe that required surgery when the season ended. GR is now a solid fixture @ OLT post. How did starting that rookie end up for us? :whistle:

Our primary starter @ OLG post was Rodger Saffold who has been our primary reserve back up to the OLT post since 2013 season. Besides Saffold starting @ OLG, GR also finished 3 games as the starting OLG and Mike Person finished 2 Ram games himself. Both GR & MP had never finished an NFL game with the first unit before last season. Can you recall any major bad event that happen with both those two 1st yr OL'ers manning our OLG?:whistle:

Currently Snead/Fisher/Boudreau have four non rookies or you could say non first yr OL'ers who are highly probable to start. Veterans... Garrett Reynolds 27/7 ORT/ORG, Rodger Saffold 26/5 OLG/ORG, Tim Barnes 27/4 OC & 2nd yr pro Greg Robinson OLT. Thus leaving only one post that is questionable.

We have discussed this before as you should recall but Boudreau has OL'ers who have been with him for several pre seasons & training camps i.e. The 3 below Ram OL'ers have played in NFL games. OLG Brandon Washington 26 yr old who has 3 TC's & PS's under his experience belt. Then there's OC/OG/OT Barrett Jones who was drafted in the 4th rd in 2013 with two TC's & PS's under his experience belt. Don't forget Travis Bond who has been around the NFL since 2013 & has 3 NFL seasons on practice squads along with 3 TC's & 3 PS's.

You could throw in Center Demetrius Rhaney who was here for all the 2014 OTA's, all of Training Camp & most all of the 2014 pre season till he was placed on IR just before the regular season started. Then there is also ORT Steven Baker who has been around a while too. The 6-8 Baker has been in several NFL camps...KC Chiefs, Carolina Panthers, Indy Colts, AZ Cards, NYG's & The Dolphins for several yrs. That makes Five non rookies that could get a chance to start early at this one vacant post if need be.

Would one of the above five or even one rookie OL'er starting for the Rams in 2015 really be such a concern?o_O

FrankenRam

Starter
Can it really be any worse than last year. At least they have depth and upside.

It can always be worse. Only time will tell.

Hopefully, at least 2 of the 4 will turn into something. I hope to heck I'm wrong, but I can't help but be a little skeptical at this point that 2 of them will be Day 1 starters, and would not be the least bit surprised to see another vet signing at some point.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I'm much more eager to see the O-Line work, right now I have nothing to really be concerned about. I will voice my concerns after the first game.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Think whatever combo we put together on Oline, we'll be run blocking better than we were last year as soon as the 1st game of the season. Pass blocking... until I see otherwise, I fear it'll be as bad or worse than last year.

…..

Legend
If the coaching staff determines these young guys can handle it, then off we go with what we have.

But I'm pretty convinced if we see a serious deficiency, then we will go get somebody that might help. If we get desperate they might meet Blalock's price, though I am wary of Blalock being a castaway from an awful Atlanta line.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I actually would love to watch the competition for myself. Making the college experience and really top OL programs and even a Mankins came from where Wichman is coming from. I still think a major transformation is gonna occur with both Havenstein and Brown after some hardcore weightroom action and food program. Let iron sharpen iron.

We need Saffold on the right side and maybe Reynolds starts on the left side day one. If not teams will just attack and expose our rookie side on the right. I fear for Foles early on as he needs to stay healthy as we need the best look from a healthy QB for once. If Saffold goes down we are in big trouble.

I personally want Barret Jones to be Fishers top secret as our starting center. We can't be worse than Wells and Joseph but teams will attack us on 3RD and long for sure. The dreaded injuries we as the RAMS have experienced at OL have just got to STOP!!!! Its important we get the best look at what Foles CAN do. Yes I'm worried but , thats what I do best and I'd love to see the day by day process and even the two a days. I'm not like those that think Blaylock is a must and I can't see Barksdale signing for a short term low offer thats probably been sitting there for a long while.

It'll be the greatest coaching job Boo has EVER done IF successfull. I want us to get started now. Maybe we get another unexpected miracle like we got with the Foles signing. GO RAMS. Bring back the OL RAMS of the past I know too well. We start here as we did with Kurt Warner when Green went down. LETS GO!!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm only concerned if we are playing from behind, via pass protection. But very confident if we have a lead. Fortunately, our D should keep the score down. I think we will have double digit wins this year.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I really think this is gonna be a very hard thing for the Rams to pull off. I'm gonna try not to be a chicken little . The scouts and Snisher better have thunk this thing through all the way from the end of last season. No clue who is our strongest guy to play center. Our Pivot man is gonna be SO important this season. We will probably have the least experienced OL in the whole league.

Will injuries continue to follow our OL? Thats the 10 million dollar question. If coach Boo can get 5 guys performing as one it won't matter if we reached on anybody. So much has to be discerned and learned in such a short time that as a past ORT I really find it hard to believe it can all get done as many of our guys will be playing new positions from college and going against the best in the world all while learning techniques and the playbook and not having to think but just react. Its really just to much to ask.

I think too much koolaide has already been drunk since the draft from fans that have been tormented too long and should definately know better but are so desperate to put this all together now that the defense is just starting to perform as they should have. Our tough early schedule and "WE WILL HAVE INJURIES" is gonna make everything harder. Just how many and to whom will be the key OF COURSE.
I think the process is gonna be awesome to watch up close. We might even think things should be done differently than how Fisher goes about it. What do you think? Will Fisher demand only so much youth on the OL? Will that cause another slow start? Who gets hurt? Who fills in ? Will you then be glad Fisher drafts for versatility? Can we find a center ? Will G. Rob. be all we hoped for and continue improvement or have the dreaded sophmore slump? He is still SO YOUNG and his ceiling is to the sky. Wish we had some old Ram vets helping the OL coaches. I want to squeeze every drop of potential from every guy we have.

I think if we hit on just 2 of our four rookies we should be THRILLED. Its harder than most here think this is gonna be and when cuts come we will have a 100 different ideas of who should stay and who should go and why. Glad we have the money to grab a vet IF NEEDED. Anything could force that . Don't see any Timmermans or McCollums falling out of the sky. Buckle up and lay off the koolaid. Its gonna be a bumpy tough and hopefully a competitive ride. We need coaches to make the best decisions now and early on so we don't have to backtrack with a guy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The only thing I'm comfortable with at the moment is safety in numbers. Creating competition.
We've brought in 4+ guys that are going to be fighting heavily for positions. We needed new blood at the position and we now have it.
I just hope we can get a couple of them developed quickly.
Cody Davis ?? Mo? TJ McDonald(all pro),Barron,& Rodney...add Gaines & Joyner...
More than 4 guys

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I really think this is gonna be a very hard thing for the Rams to pull off. I'm gonna try not to be a chicken little . The scouts and Snisher better have thunk this thing through all the way from the end of last season. No clue who is our strongest guy to play center. Our Pivot man is gonna be SO important this season. We will probably have the least experienced OL in the whole league.

Will injuries continue to follow our OL? Thats the 10 million dollar question. If coach Boo can get 5 guys performing as one it won't matter if we reached on anybody. So much has to be discerned and learned in such a short time that as a past ORT I really find it hard to believe it can all get done as many of our guys will be playing new positions from college and going against the best in the world all while learning techniques and the playbook and not having to think but just react. Its really just to much to ask.

I think too much koolaide has already been drunk since the draft from fans that have been tormented too long and should definately know better but are so desperate to put this all together now that the defense is just starting to perform as they should have. Our tough early schedule and "WE WILL HAVE INJURIES" is gonna make everything harder. Just how many and to whom will be the key OF COURSE.
I think the process is gonna be awesome to watch up close. We might even think things should be done differently than how Fisher goes about it. What do you think? Will Fisher demand only so much youth on the OL? Will that cause another slow start? Who gets hurt? Who fills in ? Will you then be glad Fisher drafts for versatility? Can we find a center ? Will G. Rob. be all we hoped for and continue improvement or have the dreaded sophmore slump? He is still SO YOUNG and his ceiling is to the sky. Wish we had some old Ram vets helping the OL coaches. I want to squeeze every drop of potential from every guy we have.

I think if we hit on just 2 of our four rookies we should be THRILLED. Its harder than most here think this is gonna be and when cuts come we will have a 100 different ideas of who should stay and who should go and why. Glad we have the money to grab a vet IF NEEDED. Anything could force that . Don't see any Timmermans or McCollums falling out of the sky. Buckle up and lay off the koolaid. Its gonna be a bumpy tough and hopefully a competitive ride. We need coaches to make the best decisions now and early on so we don't have to backtrack with a guy.
See your one of those guys that under rate Tom Nutten-----Where was he ??? Who was he ???? That dude was a technician.He was also a back up center ahead Doughnut Mcclom.Who was the starting center back then Anyway ???
Your right about options if they are worried.It is now on the coaches.The scouts did there job.Snead will follow Fishers lead as always.

What about Miller who left The Rams to play for Fisher ?? Ryan Tucker & his brother ??
The doughnut ???

Limey

Rookie
More than 4 guys
this is an OL thread - he was talking about 4 new OLers, not how many safeties we might have in camp.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'd give it a 4 on the concern scale too. So far our line is G Rob, Saffold (Mr Glass from that film Unbreakable - although I'm hopeful he's over that now he's had his shoulder operated on and rehabbed properly) and loads of rookies. The rookies could be good, they could be trash. No one knows yet. Depends on how well our scouts and the F.O. assessed them.

WvuIN02

Starter
this made me laugh, and since I'm a lil hung over, that's a good thing...Optimist are you?

Hah, more like a realist.

This draft added the talent I think we need, but it wont be ready for at least a couple of years. Jake Long never worked out like we had hoped, and if you look at some of the best OL around the league....especially tackles...most all of them took a couple years to be great.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
More than 4 guys
We were primarily discussing the Oline.

Since you brought it up. Yeah. Secondary positions will be fun to watch as well. I really want to get a better look at what we may have in Joyner the most.
I doubt Cody and MO will knock someone off for their position, but the depth they add shouldn't be underestimated.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Didn't the "great" Dallas OL last yr start TWO rookies .... and they are planning to start ANOTHER one this yr?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
this is an OL thread - he was talking about 4 new OLers, not how many safeties we might have in camp.
Your 100% right..

But to make the point about Offensive Lineman this year,is the same theory as Rams drafting safeties last year.

How big of a pick up was EJ Gaines last year ? He was my sleeper pick last year.Every pick I was like he is still on the board.What am I missing here ?
This year my sleeper pick was J.Brown OT/OG... The Rams picked him up early.
I like The Rams way of drafting the position through the draft.This gives The Rams a chance to rebuild & develop the position..
Sign a FA & it cost $$$,plus the upside could have been on the other side if the contract ?? I'm excited for new blood & finally build the offensive line the right way..
--Can't wait for the secondary to shine this year big time.Tavon & Bailey as well going against them again in all of training camp.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
OK there is surpose to be so much concern right? Reason for the concern is the fact that the Rams newest additions spare one are all ROOKIES.

Detailed breakdown on how to help prevent so much anxiety here on this matter.(Better let you all know that I have ZERO of that anxiety here). Last season we went into battle with two OL posts that had first yr players running the mandated duties @ times.

One post was OLT Our rookie OL Greg Robinson started 12 games at the age of 21 yrs old @ the most demanding OL post. He had many less starts in College than 3 of the 4 2015 drafted OL'ers & the two 2015 UDFA's had more starts than GR! GR also started with a injured toe that required surgery when the season ended. GR is now a solid fixture @ OLT post. How did starting that rookie end up for us? :whistle:

Our primary starter @ OLG post was Rodger Saffold who has been our primary reserve back up to the OLT post since 2013 season. Besides Saffold starting @ OLG, GR also finished 3 games as the starting OLG and Mike Person finished 2 Ram games himself. Both GR & MP had never finished an NFL game with the first unit before last season. Can you recall any major bad event that happen with both those two 1st yr OL'ers manning our OLG?:whistle:

Currently Snead/Fisher/Boudreau have four non rookies or you could say non first yr OL'ers who are highly probable to start. Veterans... Garrett Reynolds 27/7 ORT/ORG, Rodger Saffold 26/5 OLG/ORG, Tim Barnes 27/4 OC & 2nd yr pro Greg Robinson OLT. Thus leaving only one post that is questionable.

We have discussed this before as you should recall but Boudreau has OL'ers who have been with him for several pre seasons & training camps i.e. The 3 below Ram OL'ers have played in NFL games. OLG Brandon Washington 26 yr old who has 3 TC's & PS's under his experience belt. Then there's OC/OG/OT Barrett Jones who was drafted in the 4th rd in 2013 with two TC's & PS's under his experience belt. Don't forget Travis Bond who has been around the NFL since 2013 & has 3 NFL seasons on practice squads along with 3 TC's & 3 PS's.

You could throw in Center Demetrius Rhaney who was here for all the 2014 OTA's, all of Training Camp & most all of the 2014 pre season till he was placed on IR just before the regular season started. Then there is also ORT Steven Baker who has been around a while too. The 6-8 Baker has been in several NFL camps...KC Chiefs, Carolina Panthers, Indy Colts, AZ Cards, NYG's & The Dolphins for several yrs. That makes Five non rookies that could get a chance to start early at this one vacant post if need be.

Would one of the above five or even one rookie OL'er starting for the Rams in 2015 really be such a concern?o_O
Nicely done Bonifay.
The fact that the rookies that were drafted this year all have more starting experience than GROB had coming out of college shouldn't be forgotten. Experience at all levels is important.
Also, Saffold played well as a rookie. There is no reason why we can't get some decent production out of 1 or 2 of these guys this year.