How Concerned Are You About the Rams O-Line? --RandyK/D.Farr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Your 100% right..

But to make the point about Offensive Lineman this year,is the same theory as Rams drafting safeties last year.

How big of a pick up was EJ Gaines last year ? He was my sleeper pick last year.Every pick I was like he is still on the board.What am I missing here ?
This year my sleeper pick was J.Brown OT/OG... The Rams picked him up early.
I like The Rams way of drafting the position through the draft.This gives The Rams a chance to rebuild & develop the position..
Sign a FA & it cost $$$,plus the upside could have been on the other side if the contract ?? I'm excited for new blood & finally build the offensive line the right way..
--Can't wait for the secondary to shine this year big time.Tavon & Bailey as well going against them again in all of training camp.
There was an article a while back talking about how Snead gets obsessed with upgrading positions. He has proven that to be true in all his drafts so far.
I like what he does. You need a CB? Well he'll get you 3 and let them battle it out.
Snead and Fisher have done a great job of adding competition and depth to this young team.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I actually would love to watch the competition for myself. Making the college experience and really top OL programs and even a Mankins came from where Wichman is coming from. I still think a major transformation is gonna occur with both Havenstein and Brown after some hardcore weightroom action and food program. Let iron sharpen iron.

We need Saffold on the right side and maybe Reynolds starts on the left side day one. If not teams will just attack and expose our rookie side on the right. I fear for Foles early on as he needs to stay healthy as we need the best look from a healthy QB for once. If Saffold goes down we are in big trouble.

I personally want Barret Jones to be Fishers top secret as our starting center. We can't be worse than Wells and Joseph but teams will attack us on 3RD and long for sure. The dreaded injuries we as the RAMS have experienced at OL have just got to STOP!!!! Its important we get the best look at what Foles CAN do. Yes I'm worried but , thats what I do best and I'd love to see the day by day process and even the two a days. I'm not like those that think Blaylock is a must and I can't see Barksdale signing for a short term low offer thats probably been sitting there for a long while.

It'll be the greatest coaching job Boo has EVER done IF successfull. I want us to get started now. Maybe we get another unexpected miracle like we got with the Foles signing. GO RAMS. Bring back the OL RAMS of the past I know too well. We start here as we did with Kurt Warner when Green went down. LETS GO!!
If Barksdale or Havenstein were capable of playing inside this year, we would be fairly solid up front.
Protecting Foles needs to be a priority.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I really think this is gonna be a very hard thing for the Rams to pull off. I'm gonna try not to be a chicken little . The scouts and Snisher better have thunk this thing through all the way from the end of last season. No clue who is our strongest guy to play center. Our Pivot man is gonna be SO important this season. We will probably have the least experienced OL in the whole league.

Will injuries continue to follow our OL? Thats the 10 million dollar question. If coach Boo can get 5 guys performing as one it won't matter if we reached on anybody. So much has to be discerned and learned in such a short time that as a past ORT I really find it hard to believe it can all get done as many of our guys will be playing new positions from college and going against the best in the world all while learning techniques and the playbook and not having to think but just react. Its really just to much to ask.

I think too much koolaide has already been drunk since the draft from fans that have been tormented too long and should definately know better but are so desperate to put this all together now that the defense is just starting to perform as they should have. Our tough early schedule and "WE WILL HAVE INJURIES" is gonna make everything harder. Just how many and to whom will be the key OF COURSE.
I think the process is gonna be awesome to watch up close. We might even think things should be done differently than how Fisher goes about it. What do you think? Will Fisher demand only so much youth on the OL? Will that cause another slow start? Who gets hurt? Who fills in ? Will you then be glad Fisher drafts for versatility? Can we find a center ? Will G. Rob. be all we hoped for and continue improvement or have the dreaded sophmore slump? He is still SO YOUNG and his ceiling is to the sky. Wish we had some old Ram vets helping the OL coaches. I want to squeeze every drop of potential from every guy we have.

I think if we hit on just 2 of our four rookies we should be THRILLED. Its harder than most here think this is gonna be and when cuts come we will have a 100 different ideas of who should stay and who should go and why. Glad we have the money to grab a vet IF NEEDED. Anything could force that . Don't see any Timmermans or McCollums falling out of the sky. Buckle up and lay off the koolaid. Its gonna be a bumpy tough and hopefully a competitive ride. We need coaches to make the best decisions now and early on so we don't have to backtrack with a guy.
Love your posts Gabe. You need to visit more.

I'm confident in Grob playing well his second year. The fact that he should be placed at LT and left there will continue to aid in his development. I doubt we see him playing 2 positions again.

The evidence seems to point that Barnes, Jones or Rahney will be our starting Center. Jones would be a welcome addition to the starting 5 if healthy. The coaches have protected him to this point. They must like him.

Blalock, Barksdale or Havenstein playing the beginning of the year inside may be a possible way to protect Foles. I don't want to see him get crushed like Bradford, Davis and Hill. Those guys never stood a chance.
It's very important that we see what Foles can do THIS year. He's a FA next year. Do we sign him as our long term qb or do we let him walk. Answers we won't have if our oline can't keep him on his feet.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Think whatever combo we put together on Oline, we'll be run blocking better than we were last year as soon as the 1st game of the season. Pass blocking... until I see otherwise, I fear it'll be as bad or worse than last year.
I don't think the PBing will be worse. Saffold and Wells both played next to each other with bad arms. I have a tough time thinking 4 strong, young arms could be worse.
Maybe not great, but definately not worse.
Last year's oline play was the worse oline play I have ever witnessed in horns. By far.
The injuries we had last year were terrible.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I don't think it's a coincidence that all 4 OL draftees have extensive starting experience (NCAA) of course how that will translate into the NFL remains to be seen, obviously there's going to be some growing pains. The staff I'm sure will do their best to set them up to succeed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
See your one of those guys that under rate Tom Nutten-----Where was he ??? Who was he ???? That dude was a technician.He was also a back up center ahead Doughnut Mcclom.Who was the starting center back then Anyway ???
Your right about options if they are worried.It is now on the coaches.The scouts did there job.Snead will follow Fishers lead as always.

What about Miller who left The Rams to play for Fisher ?? Ryan Tucker & his brother ??
The doughnut ???
GSOT doesn't exist without those guys.
Oline alchemy.

Limey

Rookie
We were primarily discussing the Oline.

Since you brought it up. Yeah. Secondary positions will be fun to watch as well. I really want to get a better look at what we may have in Joyner the most.
I doubt Cody and MO will knock someone off for their position, but the depth they add shouldn't be underestimated.

While we are on the safety position, I also think the camp battle will be interesting to watch. I think McD is developing into a really good safety, and while I'm not a massive McL fan, I think he does OK. I still really like Cody Davis, and was really excited when they drafted Bryant

Limey

Rookie
Don't know why that posted when I hadn't finished...

But Fisher obviously likes Mo, so it will be interesting to see who makes the team. They have an UDFA that many are high on, although I fear he might make too many mental errors to beat the others out.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Don't know why that posted when I hadn't finished...

But Fisher obviously likes Mo, so it will be interesting to see who makes the team. They have an UDFA that many are high on, although I fear he might make too many mental errors to beat the others out.
The kid from Liberty is intriguing. i like his size and how ell he played the ball on his highlight tape.

Limey

Rookie
Sorry about the triple post - this bloody machine seems to have a mind of its own. If I could figure out how to delete the duplicates I would!

Limey

Rookie
The kid from Liberty is intriguing. i like his size and how ell he played the ball on his highlight tape.
He is the one I was thinking of - Hagen? Made an impressive number of interceptions, but gave up a lot of TDs as well.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
While we are on the safety position, I also think the camp battle will be interesting to watch. I think McD is developing into a really good safety, and while I'm not a massive McL fan, I think he does OK. I still really like Cody Davis, and was really excited when they drafted Bryant
I do too.
With Tru and JJ possibly hitting free agency next year, these battles will be important and fun to watch.
2nd rnd pick Joyner? How good is he? I want to know.
Mo is another guy I want to see.

I like McLeod. He's one of the most physical players on the team. He may not be the ultimate ball hawk you would want playing centerfield, but man he brings the wood.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sorry about the triple post - this bloody machine seems to have a mind of its own. If I could figure out how to delete the duplicates I would!
Hit the "tools" button.
Drop down menu will show "delete " hit that button.
It will ask for a reason. Just type double post.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The kid from Liberty is intriguing. i like his size and how ell he played the ball on his highlight tape.[/QUOTE------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah as much as I like Cody Davis it would appear as if he really has his work cut out for him this year, he's going to really have to stand out more than ever on STs.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well ... the only thing I have in concern is that "most" of our depth at the S position is along the lines of the SS "box" type guy. I know full well that we use those guys in the Big Nickel but, i'd like to see some FS "Center field" type guys for when we need that . I like Cody .. but he is like x4 of what we have in Barron, TJ and Mo. His ST's duty is what keeps him, IMHO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Triple post is no big deal, its when its 4 or 5 that youre being a dick

Lol

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I expect Robinson to have a huge year next year. I'm also picking Rhaney to start at center because to me, it's going to be a three way battle between him, Jones, and Barnes. I also believe that Havenstein takes the right tackle job and runs with it. He'll need support at first, but he could be solid. Between Brown and Wichmann, we have a starting guard and depth. Reynolds can play multiple positions for sure, and he could be a decent stopgap until someone is ready. Donnal can play multiple positions. Jones can play almost every position. We've added two other UDFAs who could very well compete on the line (Williams - who is one of the only guys on our squad who can play left tackle - and Wang, whom I feel could make an impression). If Bond can improve his fundamentals, we could have a stud on our hands. Saffold is very good when he's healthy.

However, losing Robinson would be the most devastating thing that could happen to this team. Center worries me a ton. You're relying on a guy who isn't experienced (Rhaney), a guy who fits better as a Swiss Army knife (Jones), or a guy who simply isn't that good (Barnes). I'm really worried about Barnes and/or Reynolds starting an entire season. I'll be very worried if someone like Washington or Baker makes this team over one of the rookies. I always worry about Saffold's injury history. I love the guy, but he's very injury-prone.

I'm not as worried about starting inexperienced players. In the end, talent and chemistry trumps all, and the guys we drafted and picked up this year are all smart and ready to step in.

So, yeah, that's my two cents.

Alan

Legend
Limey with a technical question:
If I could figure out how to delete the duplicates I would!
Just hover your mouse pointer over the "Tools" button in the lower left part of your post and click on delete. When it asks you why you want to delete it just write duplicate.

You could have just clicked on Tools and then on "edit" to continue your post on your earlier snafu when your post posted before you were finished.

Limey

Rookie
Just hover your mouse pointer over the "Tools" button in the lower left part of your post and click on delete. When it asks you why you want to delete it just write duplicate.

You could have just clicked on Tools and then on "edit" to continue your post on your earlier snafu when your post posted before you were finished.

Thanks, @Alan. I will do that next time. I somehow hadn't noticed the "Tools" button until @Dodgersrf put me onto it.