How about that Brian Quick, eh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Even the mighty Quinn started slowly at this level.

Fact is; most rookies do. Quick might have taken a little longer than some, but let's enjoy seeing him grow up before our eyes.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I admit I wasn't counting on him for much this year, and glad he is living up to my hopes rather than my expectations.

I hope the best is yet to come.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Really? Didn't realize Robinson was playing at a small D2 School

Robinson has more in common with Jason Smith than he does Brian Quick - hell you could even say Fendi Onobun - pure athletic talent that you hope puts it all together

The Quick analogy works. In part because both Robinson and Quick had very very small playbooks and weren't asked to do the things that the NFL requires you to do. Whether it's adjust to NFL defenses like blitzes, certain coverages, or even just the speed of the game, the game is completely different and it takes time.

iced

No. Robinson didn't play at a small D2 School and no one said that he did, so put that straw away. However, he is being judged far too quickly by folks such as yourself. BTW, Robinson was a dominant college player. Smith and especially Onobun were not.

But, since you didn't like the Quick analogy, your quick judgement smells no different than the stuff some crow eaters were saying about another former Rams #2 overall selection, in Chris Long, during his rookie season. Of course, most of that nonsense came from fans who were in favor the the Rams selecting someone else then, too.

Never had an issue with Long, even if his pass rushing was slower to develop he was great against the run.. But Long also made an impact and started in his first season.

I have proudly admitted I am a Crow eater on Quick - but so far, he's the only one.

If Chris Long had not started his rookie year and there was someone playing badly in front of them, then you'd have a somewhat decent analogy...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Never had an issue with Long, even if his pass rushing was slower to develop he was great against the run.. But Long also made an impact and started in his first season.

I have proudly admitted I am a Crow eater on Quick - but so far, he's the only one.

If Chris Long had not started his rookie year and there was someone playing badly in front of them, then you'd have a somewhat decent analogy...

And perhaps if Long joined a team that finished 7-9 minus it's starting QB the previous season instead of the talent depleted 3-13 squad he joined AND the team had a better option, at the time, then perhaps he wouldn't have been a rookie starter either for what turned out to be one of the league's worst defenses.

BTW, IMO, Chris Long has never been great vs. the run and especially not during his rookie season. But, even so, tweeking your description of Long a bit, I'd guess that today, if given the opportunity, Robinson's run blocking would be great while his pass protection is slower to develop. But, of course, he plays a position where teams can't take that chance if a better option is available. And Olinemen don't usually rotate.

iced

And perhaps if Long joined a team that finished 7-9 minus it's starting QB the previous season instead of the talent depleted 3-13 squad he joined AND the team had a better option, at the time, then perhaps he wouldn't have been a rookie starter either for what turned out to be one of the league's worst defenses.

And this has what to do with Long's playing level vs Robinson's?

Long was never considered a project like Robinson was... Matthews or Martin would easily been a better o-line pick, and that's not hindsight..Evidently the Rams thought highly of Martin when they desperately trying to trade back into the first.
BTW, IMO, Chris Long has never been great vs. the run and especially not during his rookie season. But, even so, tweeking your description of Long a bit, I'd guess that today, if given the opportunity, Robinson's run blocking would be great while his pass protection is slower to develop. But, of course, he plays a position where teams can't take that chance if a better option is available.
Problem is there were better options available where he was drafted, too.

None of them have to be world beaters out the gate - but if you're drafting the 2nd best player in the draft you hope you're getting one that can at least start if there's someone playing horribly in front of them.

Jags made the switch from Henne to Bortles - They should do the same with Robinson.

But the fact that the 2nd overall picks has the one of the lowest snap counts, if not the least all together, out of all players taken in the first round is a disappointment

And Olinemen don't usually rotate.
except for this team - we saw it last season with shelly smith/washington

Memphis Ram

Legend
And this has what to do with Long's playing level vs Robinson's?

Long was never considered a project like Robinson was... Matthews or Martin would easily been a better o-line pick, and that's not hindsight..Evidently the Rams thought highly of Martin when they desperately trying to trade back into the first.

Long's playing level vs. Robinson? Long merely had a better chance at an opportunity to play due to the nature of his position, the alternatives, and how piss poor the team was back then (they earned that #2 choice). BTW, coming out of college, Long was considered a pro 3-4 OLB by his own college coach and some might say he was a project at RDE where he latter proved he had no business playing.

And all Matthews and Martin have proven, to date, is that good Senior OLinemen have more experience and are better prepared to enter the NFL than redshirt sophomores who played within a scheme which called for small college playbooks. Not that they would have been better selections because of the impatience of some fans.

Problem is there were better options available where he was drafted, too.

None of them have to be world beaters out the gate - but if you're drafting the 2nd best player in the draft you hope you're getting one that can at least start if there's someone playing horribly in front of them.

Jags made the switch from Henne to Bortles - They should do the same with Robinson.

But the fact that the 2nd overall picks has the one of the lowest snap counts, if not the least all together, out of all players taken in the first round is a disappointment.

Hoping that the #2 overall selection can start as a rookie sounds reasonable. Expecting him to start is a bit more shaky. Especially, when the team making the selection didn't earn such a high selection via it's record (far easier to start on horrible teams) and it apparently went with the BPA on it's draft board. Of course, the team and some fans understand that the 2014 draft isn't just about the 2014 season. We'd probably be watching Clowney come of the bench instead if he were on the board. Of course, then there would probably be less angst ala Donald due to the position's normal rotation.

Also, it was my understanding that the OG rotation last year had something to do with trying to determine the lesser of two evils. Though it could have had something to do with Williams apparent chronic bad issues. Either way, while it happened, it's still not usual. And probably a bad idea on a team that struggled to get it's 5 starters time together during the preseason.

jjab360

Legend
Not even letting myself get drawn into this debate again, we'll see in a few seasons who's right. Though I will say that to declare victory right now on either side of the fence is pretty much pointless and premature. That is if being right about your team's failures can even be considered a victory. Depends on how badly you want to be right, I guess..

iced

Especially, when the team making the selection didn't earn such a high selection via it's record (far easier to start on horrible teams)

again,this HAS NOTHING TO DO with how POORLY Joseph is playing.. You keep dodging this point and coming up with these different ways to talk about draft position and team record when it means absolutely nothing.

Donald contributing? Check
Joyner Contributing? Check

I expect my first two rounders to atleast garner SOME snaps... but I guess I just have too expectations because clearly Robinson is setting the bar pretty low with only having 10 snaps in 4 games. meanwhile the rest of the first round have seen more action (non qb positions)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Robinson is not a "raw talent" he is an elite raw talent,you will find people in the later rounds who are talented and raw ,but they won't be elite athletes combined with his size. HAD we picked Matthews GRob would have come off the board top half of the first round because every scouting dept under heaven was as high on him as we were.
Like anyone I too would desire he hit the ground running was capable of playing every position on the line and been plug and play from the get go, but IF there is anything to him being a possible bust or further behind the learning curve than expected ,playing him if he wasn't ready would seem to me to be the worst thing you could do for him and the rest of the team, as long s there is hope for this season
I just don't think I'll ever understand the implication he's a bust coupled with the insistence he play,if I thought he was a mistake him playing would be the last thing I'd want to see.
BTW iced you forgot Gaines

iced

Robinson is not a "raw talent" he is an elite raw talent,you will find people in the later rounds who are talented and raw ,but they won't be elite athletes combined with his size. HAD we picked Matthews GRob would have come off the board top half of the first round because every scouting dept under heaven was as high on him as we were.
Like anyone I too would desire he hit the ground running was capable of playing every position on the line and been plug and play from the get go, but IF there is anything to him being a possible bust or further behind the learning curve than expected ,playing him if he wasn't ready would seem to me to be the worst thing you could do for him and the rest of the team, as long s there is hope for this season
I just don't think I'll ever understand the implication he's a bust coupled with the insistence he play,if I thought he was a mistake him playing would be the last thing I'd want to see.
BTW iced you forgot Gaines

deliberately left him off encase one would argue he's only starting due to injury

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
deliberately left him off encase one would argue he's only starting due to injury
which isn't true ,someone else would be starting if he wasn't the perceived best option,yes the slot opened due to injury but he won the slot and he is contributing pretty well IMO
That means we have three players starting or in rotation from this draft ,a FA in the DE rotation,a FA RB getting carries ,not a bad rookie class IMO, and I have faith when we do see GRob he will be dominating ,then again I was about the last person to give up on Jimmy Kenedy

Memphis Ram

Legend
again,this HAS NOTHING TO DO with how POORLY Joseph is playing.. You keep dodging this point and coming up with these different ways to talk about draft position and team record when it means absolutely nothing.

Donald contributing? Check
Joyner Contributing? Check

I expect my first two rounders to atleast garner SOME snaps... but I guess I just have too expectations because clearly Robinson is setting the bar pretty low with only having 10 snaps in 4 games. meanwhile the rest of the first round have seen more action (non qb positions)

I didn't think I was dodging any point. When I take a closer look, I see that quite a bit of what Joseph gets blamed for could/should be on Wells.

Donald & Joyner contributing? Again, they play positions that are typically rotated giving them the opportunity. And as for the latter, he is proving that contributing and playing well/making a positive impact aren't the same thing. And that's going on with quite a few rookies around the league. But, despite their rookie struggles they are good picks and get a pass by some simply because they are playing. Besides, it's possible that some of those other rookies might be struggling for playing time here and Robinson could be starting elsewhere. Who knows?

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Already has more targets, receptions, yards, and TDs than any of his previous 2 years.

Dude has arrived, and Snead was right.
Love me some BQ, especially the blizzards of the month.

As far s G.Rob...I think it's solely a playbook issue, caused by the limited offense at Auburn, and the relative inexperience (Sophomore) at his position. I was hoping he'd be playing by now, but I am still not, even remotely, thinking he's a bust in any way.

Last edited:

iced

I didn't think I was dodging any point. When I take a closer look, I see that quite a bit of what Joseph gets blamed for could/should be on Wells.

picard.jpg

yea...no.... joseph is just god awful. Wells has little to do with Joseph's ugly,ugly play. Washington/smith rotation last year would have been better.
Donald & Joyner contributing? Again, they play positions that are typically rotated giving them the opportunity. And as for the latter, he is proving that contributing and playing well/making a positive impact aren't the same thing. And that's going on with quite a few rookies around the league. But, despite their rookie struggles they are good picks and get a pass by some simply because they are playing. Besides, it's possible that some of those other rookies might be struggling for playing time here and Robinson could be starting elsewhere. Who knows?

And again - we know this team has no problem rotating players -"for the lesser of two evils" as you've even said

Memphis Ram

Legend
yea...no.... joseph is just god awful. Wells has little to do with Joseph's ugly,ugly play. Washington/smith rotation last year would have been better.

And again - we know this team has no problem rotating players -"for the lesser of two evils" as you've even said

Quinn Ojinnaka was awful. Joseph while he has had his struggles is not at that level. But, Wells struggles has had an impact on Joseph, TOO, IMO. And that gets completely ignored while most have got the tar and feathers ready for Joseph.

And again, no one is questioning what the team has done in the past. My statement was that it's not the norm. That's it. And unlike last year, the rest of the line had more of a chance to gell prior to the season.

iced

Quinn Ojinnaka was awful. Joseph while he has had his struggles is not at that level. But, Wells struggles has had an impact on Joseph, TOO, IMO. And that gets completely ignored while most have got the tar and feathers ready for Joseph.

And again, no one is questioning what the team has done in the past. My statement was that it's not the norm. That's it. And unlike last year, the rest of the line had more of a chance to gell prior to the season.

Oh no - I know Scott Wells is not playing at a high level - but that doesn't mean Joseph's failure is being caused by Wells. If anything, it looks more of the opposite way around - Joseph has been downright ugly all on his own. And it's not because of any other players when you're getting physically beat or you're the one blowing a blocking assignment....getting pushed into the backfield and allowing RB's/QB's to get hit on the most consistent basis out of all linemen.

Everything I've watched and rewatched of Joseph has been down right ugly - and wells isn't the reason for it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Oh no - I know Scott Wells is not playing at a high level - but that doesn't mean Joseph's failure is being caused by Wells. If anything, it looks more of the opposite way around - Joseph has been downright ugly all on his own. And it's not because of any other players when you're getting physically beat or you're the one blowing a blocking assignment....getting pushed into the backfield and allowing RB's/QB's to get hit on the most consistent basis out of all linemen.

Everything I've watched and rewatched of Joseph has been down right ugly - and wells isn't the reason for it.

Still I stand by my statement that quite a bit (NOT ALL) that Joseph gets blamed for could/should be on Wells. Then again, I won't fool myself into believing that I know all the line calls and assignments of which some seem to have access nor will I discredit a defensive play or player who simply makes a great play.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Every time I go to watch how awful Joseph has been, I see him make a pretty good block.

Sure, I've seen some rough plays too - but I've seen a fair share of those from Long this year too - but nobody is out for blood on him.

If Joseph wasn't standing in the way of all of us getting to watch our shiny new #2 overall pick from playing - he wouldn't get nearly the amount of grief that he does.