How about that Brian Quick, eh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
It IS about time, I have been one of the ones wanting to cut him loose over the past couple of years, I hope I am proved wrong...

BUT, lets not jump the gun here, I think a lot of Quick's success is down to chemistry. The chemistry between him and Davies is obvious they seem to trust and know each other - the guys have worked together over the past few seasons when not suited up - would Quick be AS good if it was Bradford under centre? Who knows...

Let their success continue and let's get some wins!!!
I dont think its that at all. Bradford was throwing to Quick early and often in training camp and preseason. Quick would have as good or better numbers with Bradford in there. He has just put it all together now.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Quick has been one of the few bright spots to this season. If we could just get the Oline to gel a bit better and the defense to make key stops this team could be 3-1 right now. SMH
I agree except the defense was the reason the 1 came as well so ,IMO we could be 4-0 if Williams defense was what it was supposed to be,count me among those who are impatiently waiting for this hire to deliver

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Quick is excellent. I've been patient, as have many of us, and he's making us happy this season. Britt has been a huge pickup, both for his play on the field (he was sick yesterday) and his influence on Quick. For the first time in a long time, I love our WR corps - Britt/Quick are our version of Jeffery/Marshall, Austin looks good in the slot (that quick-hitter on a crossing route shows how dangerous he is when he catches a ball at full speed slashing across the D), Pettis is USUALLY a sure-handed guy (bad drop, but that doesn't negate the good weapon he is most Sundays), Cook is dangerous if inconsistent, and Kendricks is basically Pettis at the TE position.

iced

My guess is this type of thread will pop up next year with Quick being replaced by Robinson.:whistle:

baffles me how some people think he's still worth the #2 overall pick.. Pretty sure the Raw,athletic talent is usually found in the later rounds - Fendi Onobun come to mind?

I'd say in hindsight they should have just taken zach martin - but is it really hindsight if they were so high on him they tried hard to get back into the first to get him after selecting donald? hmm

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Quick is on pace to be our first 1,000 receiver since who? Torry Holt?

Glad we stuck with him!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Quick is on pace for 84 receptions, 1288 yards, and 12 tds! Thats pretty good

Big Willie

Starter
Next week is the week. Quick goes for more than 100 yards with two catches greater than 30 yards...and two touchdowns. IMHO he puts it all together for the Niners as the Rams get their second win of the year. Suit him up for your fantasy team and reap the rewards. (Call me out if I am wrong...I got big shoulders. I can take it.)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
eating-crow.gif

Memphis Ram

Legend
baffles me how some people think he's still worth the #2 overall pick.. Pretty sure the Raw,athletic talent is usually found in the later rounds - Fendi Onobun come to mind?

I'd say in hindsight they should have just taken zach martin - but is it really hindsight if they were so high on him they tried hard to get back into the first to get him after selecting donald? hmm

Baffles me how anyone can STILL judge players so soon. And in a thread about another player who suffered the same fate by many, but is now playing pretty well.

nighttrain

Legend
The recent success of Quick should be a reminder to all who are quick to judge Austin, Mason, Robinson and others as a bust after only a short period of time. The Rams have drafted players with talent, but it's up to the players to adjust to the speed and talent of the NFL....and in some cases that takes time.

For me, Quick still has some development to go before he becomes the player Imthinkmhe can become...but so far this year he is finally on a path where you can see the development.
We live in an Instant gratification society, which really riles some of us (me) old dudes, Quick will get even better.
train

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ing-with-more-confidence-more-aggressiveness/

49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio: Brian Quick “playing with more confidence”
Posted by Mike Wilkening on October 10, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptm3nzbkzgm5ndnkyjq0mjjlodnjm2e5ndu2odc5yzi1-e1412998102384.jpeg
AP

Though the Rams have gotten off to a 1-3 start, they have shown some promise. For one thing, quarterback Austin Davis has handled the transition from backup-to-starter in stride, playing like he belongs.

And then there’s the play of third-year wide receiverBrian Quick. The first pick in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft, Quick has stepped up his game this season. Entering Monday night’s game vs. San Francisco, Quick leads the Rams in catches (21), yards (322) and touchdowns (three).

The 6-foot-3, 218-pound Quick has shown he can operate down the field. Per NFL statistics, he’s 11th among qualifying players in average length of reception (12.1), or the point at which the ball is caught. He’s also doing well with his opportunities, catching 67.7 percent of the passes thrown his way (31 targets).

Asked how Quick had improved this season, 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio offered a positive assessment Friday of the third-year pro from Appalachian State.

“Well, he’s a size receiver, No. 1. He’s got 4.5 speed. And to me, he’s just playing with a lot more confidence and knowledge of the game,” Fangio said, according to a transcript from the 49ers. “Just playing with more confidence, more aggressiveness. Going to get the ball, feeling comfortable knowing the routes he’s running, being in the same system now since he’s been there.”

In just four games, Quick has set season career-bests in catches, yards and touchdowns. And indeed, it’s his third season in Brian Schottenheimer’s offense.

Sometimes, it takes time for young receivers to reach their potential. And at 25, Quick appears to have reached a new level of performance.

http://sfo.scout.com/story/1462347-quick-becoming-a-factor-for-rams-passing-game?s=69

QUICK BECOMING A FACTOR FOR RAMS PASSING GAME
Chris Biderman Niners Digest
  • 1406159.jpg
Believe it or not, the Rams have the league's sixth-ranked passing offense with third-string quarterback Austin Davis at the helm. A big reason has been the development of receiver Brian Quick.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - One of the criticisms of the Rams in recent seasons has been their inability to draft and develop receivers.

Much of that criticism was pointed at wideout Brian Quick, who was taken with the first pick in the second round in 2012 and had just 29 receptions in his first two seasons. But that criticism might be taking a sharp turn given Quick's play over his last two games.

Quick combined for three touchdown catches in losses to the Eagles and Cowboys, setting a new career high after having two in each of his first two seasons. His yardage is also up significantly, averaging 80.5 per game after posting 18.9 in 2013.

"To me, he’s just playing with a lot more confidence and knowledge of the game," 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said. "More aggressiveness, going to get the ball, feeling comfortable knowing the routes he’s running. Being in the same system now since he’s been there. I see a damn good receiver."

The Rams invested seven draft picks in receivers since 2010 and await their first 700-yard season since Torry Holt in 2008. Last year, tight end Jared Cook led the team with 671 yards and five touchdowns.

Of course, the main problem in St. Louis has been the Rams' quarterback situation. For the second straight season former No.1-overall pick Sam Bradford suffered a torn ACL ending his year prematurely. Last year it happened in Week 7, this year in the preseason.

But being forced to play with reserve QB Austin Davis hasn't prevented Quick taking steps toward realizing his potential St. Louis saw when drafting him. Davis has excelled at throwing the ball down field, compiling a 122 passer rating on passes longer than 10 yards. Quick has been a recipient of 12 of those 26 completions.

But it isn't just Quick who stands out to Fangio in St. Louis passing game.

"The whole receiving corps is very impressive and a versatile group," he said. "They’ve got two really fast guys in (Chris) Givens and (Tavon) Austin. And then you’ve got Quick and (Kenny) Britt, who are size guys. They’ve got good receiving tight ends. It’s a good receiving group.”

Even with Davis, who came into the season as third on the QB depth chart, the Rams have the league's sixth-ranked passing attack, averaging 284 yards per game.

"He understands the offense, this is his third year in the system now," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said on a conference call this week. "This is his first opportunity this year to play with the supporting cast. He's trusting them, they're making plays for him, and he's got a good feel for what he's doing. He's got some mobility, he can extend plays, move around the pocket, you need to be able to do that these days."

The last time the 49ers faced a backup quarterback, the Cardinals Drew Stantonburned them in a loss Week 3 with a pair of third-quarter touchdown passes.

Facing a backup quarterback can be a disadvantage for a defense without a strong sample of game tape to pull information from.

"Fortunately, he’s played the last three games for them. And he came in the first game, too, at some point," Fangio said. "So, really we’ve got as much tape on him as we would have if the other guy had still been the quarterback."

San Francisco has strung together a pair of strong defensive efforts since that game against the Eagles and Chiefs, allowing just one touchdown pass - a bubble screen to Kansas City tight end Travis Kelce (De'Anthony Thomas' touchdown in the third quarter last week has since been ruled a rushing touchdown).

Quick has done the majority of his damage in the middle of the field, where he could line up against rookie nickel corner Jimmie Ward. At 6'4", quick shares a similar stature to Brandon Marshall, who beat Ward for three touchdown's in Week 2's loss to the Bears.

But Ward has shown incremental improvement since that game, his second in the NFL.

"(Ward) took ownership of those plays. They were tough plays," Fangio said. "He’s not the first guy that’s given up a play to that guy in particular, especially in that part of the field. And he learned from it and moved on."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I almost hate to post this, in fear of a jinx... But Quick has proven durable too.

Takes hits. Seems to avoid muscle injuries to the legs. Etc.

Lots of upside remains and I, like others, think he's got a big game coming soon where he just blows up for >150 yds.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The best part of all this? His speed rating in madden went from a 87 to a 89 in just two weeks!(y)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
What I have noticed in the kid is the fire, the stage is no longer too big for him and we aught to give Britt and Fisher credit for that ,and reluctantly Terrel Owens

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What I have noticed in the kid is the fire, the stage is no longer too big for him and we aught to give Britt and Fisher credit for that ,and reluctantly Terrel Owens

That's the other thing; dude seems to be working hard to improve his game. How can you not like that?

Go BQ!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Imagine what he'd do if he got targeted 15-20 times in a game like the top guys do

RamWoodie

Legend
Before coming to this site I mainly posted in the StlToday RamsTalk. I thought when Quick was drafted he would contribute early....but it was obvious that Quick had a lot to learn about NFL playbooks and understanding them. He was also raw talent, but I think Fisher thought the would get him going earlier. It didn't happen as the coaching staff had hoped, and many Rams fans, wanting to win...wrote Quick off as a bust. I stayed with Quick because I could see he had it...it was just taking time.

Guess what...Austin Davis was also drafted along with Quick...and both have come of age. Obviously both can get better...but once again there's a word that has to be prominent about both of these players...P*A*T*I*E*N*C*E!!!!

Players are not going to develop at the same rate...and smart coaches realize that...fans need to do the same.

iced

Baffles me how anyone can STILL judge players so soon. And in a thread about another player who suffered the same fate by many, but is now playing pretty well.

Really? Didn't realize Robinson was playing at a small D2 School

Robinson has more in common with Jason Smith than he does Brian Quick - hell you could even say Fendi Onobun - pure athletic talent that you hope puts it all together

Memphis Ram

Legend
Really? Didn't realize Robinson was playing at a small D2 School

Robinson has more in common with Jason Smith than he does Brian Quick - hell you could even say Fendi Onobun - pure athletic talent that you hope puts it all together

No. Robinson didn't play at a small D2 School and no one said that he did, so put that straw away. However, he is being judged far too quickly by folks such as yourself. BTW, Robinson was a dominant college player. Smith and especially Onobun were not.

But, since you didn't like the Quick analogy, your quick judgement smells no different than the stuff some crow eaters were saying about another former Rams #2 overall selection, in Chris Long, during his rookie season. Of course, most of that nonsense came from fans who were in favor the the Rams selecting someone else then, too.