How about Eric Decker? Signs with Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd take him on his current deal. It's not guaranteed, so we could cut him if he's not the same player. If he is, he's worth every penny imo.

If he hits FA, my fear would be that he'll demand guaranteed money at only a modest discount in terms of APY.
Wait. So we could take him, and if he doesn't warrant a place on the 53, we can cut him with no dead money or cap hit?

I guess I didn't catch that. Doesn't that only apply if he is cut already?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wait. So we could take him, and if he doesn't warrant a place on the 53, we can cut him with no dead money or cap hit?

I guess I didn't catch that. Doesn't that only apply if he is cut already?

If we trade for him, yes. We can cut him with no dead money. If we sign him, he'll likely want guaranteed money. So it's better in that scenario to trade for him if we can give up next to nothing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welker's first year in Denver was not impressive. Time will tell what Decker can be, the hip is what worries me most about him.

He had 10 receiving TDs. That was at 32 years old.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If we trade for him, yes. We can cut him with no dead money. If we sign him, he'll likely want guaranteed money. So it's better in that scenario to trade for him if we can give up next to nothing.
What do you consider next to nothing? I'm not arguing for or against. Just curious.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you consider next to nothing? I'm not arguing for or against. Just curious.

7th round pick or a pick swap (like our 5th for their 6th + Decker or something like that).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
7th round pick or a pick swap (like our 5th for their 6th + Decker or something like that).
Still not convinced he is a sure upgrade but I reserve the right to change that assessment if we pull the trigger.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Jets are cutting him or trading him for CAP relief, how is the team that picks him up not suffering the same CAP hit that the Jets are absolved of?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Jets are cutting him or trading him for CAP relief, how is the team that picks him up not suffering the same CAP hit that the Jets are absolved of?

They are...if he makes the roster. The Jets eat all the dead money remaining in his contract when they trade or cut him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/12/jets-give-up-on-trade-will-release-eric-decker/

Jets give up on trade, will release Eric Decker
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 12, 2017

605939354-e1474566825475.jpg
Getty Images

The Jets couldn’t find anyone to take Eric Decker’s $7.25 million salary. So they’ll cut him loose.

Decker will be released, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. That comes after the Jets tried to trade Decker but couldn’t find any teams willing to take on his contract unless the Jets would pay some of his salary. The Jets didn’t want to do that, so that ended trade discussions.

The 30-year-old Decker played in just three games before a shoulder injury ended his season last year, catching nine passes for 194 yards and two touchdowns. He’s expected to be healthy and ready to go this season.

Now the only question is where he’ll play next. After four years with the Broncos and three with the Jets, he’s free to try to find a new team. Unfortunately for him, he’ll have to settle for less than $7.25 million this season.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I honestly think he'd be a great addition to our team. I also think there is no way we even entertain the idea.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because where are you going with a broken down WR who is going to eat cap space when you have a stable of young colts that need the reps/PT to show what they got

If the Rams weren't in on Maclin, there's no way they are in on Decker

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Because where are you going with a broken down WR who is going to eat cap space when you have a stable of young colts that need the reps/PT to show what they got

If the Rams weren't in on Maclin, there's no way they are in on Decker

Comparing Decker to Maclin (WHO IS a broken down receiver) is a little absurd... Also, to think he won't lead our receivers, is also absurd.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Comparing Decker to Maclin (WHO IS a broken down receiver) is a little absurd... Also, to think he won't lead our receivers, is also absurd.
You think Maclin is in worse shape physically then Decker?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No.

I think Maclin has a more extensive injury HISTORY and gets hurt MORE OFTEN than Decker.
Maclin has missed 10 games in his entire 7 year career and is 29 years old. Decker missed 13 games last year alone due to 2 injuries that require season ending surgery and is 30 years old.
Not sure what your definition of broken down is but it certainly defies logic

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Maclin has missed 10 games in his entire 7 year career and is 29 years old. Decker missed 13 games last year alone due to 2 injuries that require season ending surgery and is 30 years old.
Not sure what your definition of broken down is but it certainly defies logic

Maclin also plays hurt which limits him. He may be "OUT THERE" but it was mostly as a decoy when he was hurt.

You present a strawman because technically he's missed less games but only because he played hurt and the coaches used him as a decoy a lot of the times.

Maclin gets random, nicked-up injuries all the time. They always limit him.

We'll agree to disagree.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maclin also plays hurt which limits him. He may be "OUT THERE" but it was mostly as a decoy when he was hurt.

You present a strawman because technically he's missed less games but only because he played hurt and the coaches used him as a decoy a lot of the times.

Maclin gets random, nicked-up injuries all the time. They always limit him.

We'll agree to disagree.
But he's on the field. Its the NFL, all guys play hurt.
How is that a strawman??