How about Eric Decker? Signs with Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5819/eric-decker
MMQB's Albert Breer floats the Browns as a team to "keep an eye on" for free agent Eric Decker.
Decker left his Titans visit without a contract, while the Ravens seem resigned to not entering the bidding despite initial interest. In Cleveland, Decker would man the slot with Corey Coleman and Kenny Britt bookending him out wide. Cleveland would be one of Decker's worst-case fantasy landing spots.

Yikes, Tennessee seemed like a layup. Going to Cleveland?

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
But he's on the field. Its the NFL, all guys play hurt.
How is that a strawman??

Sigh....

There's a difference between playing hurt and being an absolute DECOY because you're LIMITED by the type/seriousness of your injury.

Maclin would have very limiting injuries that wouldn't allow him to do much but stand up, run and be a decoy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sigh....

There's a difference between playing hurt and being an absolute DECOY because you're LIMITED by the type/seriousness of your injury.

Maclin would have very limiting injuries that wouldn't allow him to do much but stand up, run and be a decoy.
Lol.
That's crazy talk. Decoy? Talk about a straw argument. He routinely draws 5-10 targets a game.
You are actually criticizing a guy for playing despite having injuries.
Mama mia

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Lol.
That's crazy talk. Decoy? Talk about a straw argument. He routinely draws 5-10 targets a game.
You are actually criticizing a guy for playing despite having injuries.
Mama mia

Agreed to disagree, you're wrong I'm not criticizing HIM... which proves you don't get my point, but whatever.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly I don't get why people think we'd sign him or any other free agent veteran. McVay and Snead had the chance to sign as many as they wanted. They got one in Woods who they've explained why they got and drafted to fill in the rest. I just can't see us signing another veteran WR to take time away from Woods and the kids.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
PASS.

If we want another veteran who knows what it takes to be a legit WR and mentor and contribute....send McVay to Anquan Boldin's house for a sit down instead.
FA.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed to disagree, you're wrong I'm not criticizing HIM... which proves you don't get my point, but whatever.
I don't think you actually remember what the discussion was about. Decker IMO is broken down and not worth the risk. You seem to have found it "absurd" that I don't think that Maclin is the broken down receiver.
So far 1 of them has a job, in fact it only took him a minute to find one, while the other is on his way to Cleveland to see if he can possibly get work there....
Sure, agree to disagree

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
PASS.

If we want another veteran who knows what it takes to be a legit WR and mentor and contribute....send McVay to Anquan Boldin's house for a sit down instead.
View attachment 20297

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...still-wants-to-play-preferably-close-to-home/

Anquan Boldin still wants to play, preferably close to home
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 16, 2017

629165476-e1483977517449.jpg
Getty Images

Free agent receiver Anquan Boldin is one of the few players still available who might actually be able to make an impact on an NFL roster this season, and he has said he wants to keep playing. But he apparently doesn’t want to play anywhere.

According to the Detroit Free Press, people close to Boldin say he’d prefer to play near his home in Florida.

Boldin grew up in Pahokee, in South Florida, and went to college at Florida State, near the Georgia-Florida border. That would suggest he’d like to play for the Dolphins, Buccaneers, Jaguars or Falcons, although he doesn’t necessarily seem to be a great fit for those teams’ needs.

It appears that he won’t be back in Detroit, as Lions coach Jim Caldwell said they have had no contact with him.

“He’s still out there, still available, but we haven’t had any discussions with him,” Caldwell said.

Boldin may wait until training camps open to sign with a team, and perhaps see if a need at receiver opens up on a team close to home.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I don't think you actually remember what the discussion was about. Decker IMO is broken down and not worth the risk. You seem to have found it "absurd" that I don't think that Maclin is the broken down receiver.
So far 1 of them has a job, in fact it only took him a minute to find one, while the other is on his way to Cleveland to see if he can possibly get work there....
Sure, agree to disagree

You don't think I remember? Just stop talking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
PASS.

View attachment 20297

It's a couple years too late on Boldin. Decker is the right age to take over that role for a couple years.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why even consider bringing in another vet WR?

As it is we look like we'll have to release at least one promising young receiver.

Not to mention scrambling to get snaps for the 6 that do stick on the 53.

I mean, it's not as if we're one vet WR from a deep playoff run, is it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why even consider bringing in another vet WR?

As it is we look like we'll have to release at least one promising young receiver.

Not to mention scrambling to get snaps for the 6 that do stick on the 53.

I mean, it's not as if we're one vet WR from a deep playoff run, is it?

Jared Goff.

Our current WRs are:
Robert Woods - Never had more than 699 yards in a season and has missed games in 3 out of 4 years in the NFL
Tavon Austin - Hasn't proven he can be a legitimate threat as a pure WR
Cooper Kupp - He's a rookie, so he might take time to adjust to the NFL
Josh Reynolds - See above except he's more likely than Kupp to take time to adjust
Pharoh/Thomas/Spruce - All second-year WRs who didn't show much last year

My opinions of these guys are:
Robert Woods - Underrated because he wasn't a good fit with Tyrod Taylor and the Bills
Tavon Austin - Has the potential and athleticism to be a legitimate deep threat
Cooper Kupp - Extremely NFL ready and should be able to make an immediate impact
Josh Reynolds - Likely going to need time to develop but can be a legitimate outside the numbers threat down the line
Pharoh/Thomas/Spruce - Thomas can be a legitimate deep threat and the other two can be reliable slot WRs

However, I am an optimist. Those are optimistic projections. I am hoping for the best, but we've tended not to get the best outcome at WR over the past decade.

How many times have we counted on a young WR to improve and paid for it?(Donnie Avery, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, etc.) How many times have we counted on a rookie to contribute and paid for it?(Donnie Avery, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, Pharoh Cooper, etc.)

Thus, I don't want to hang Goff out to dry if the worst case scenario happens again. Decker has averaged 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs per 16 games over the past 6 years. He has produced with Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning, Geno Smith, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's a big-bodied WR who can run any route, play any WR spot, and make plays in the red-zone. Woods, Decker, and Kupp could all move all over the formation when on the field. All three are capable of playing any WR spot and will be where they're supposed to be when running routes.

That is why I want Decker. I recognize that he might push Cooper or Spruce or Thomas (or more than one) off the roster if he makes the team. If that happens, so be it. It's a competition. May the best man win. The truth is that those guys might prove not to be anything more than JAGs. I hope they're better than that, but the odds that they are JAGs are far greater than the odds that they're as good or better than Decker.

Now, if McVay is comfortable with those guys and confident in them, I won't complain. I trust his evaluations. But it would make me a lot more confident in our WRs if we had another proven vet. I'm worried that Goff, like Bradford, is going to get stuck with an under-performing WR corp that will hinder his development.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jared Goff.

Our current WRs are:
Robert Woods - Never had more than 699 yards in a season and has missed games in 3 out of 4 years in the NFL
Josh Reynolds - See above except he's more likely than Kupp to take time to adjust

Robert Woods - Underrated because he wasn't a good fit with Tyrod Taylor and the Bills
Cooper Kupp - Extremely NFL ready and should be able to make an immediate impact
Josh Reynolds - Likely going to need time to develop but can be a legitimate outside the numbers threat down the line
Pharoh/Thomas/Spruce - Thomas can be a legitimate deep threat and the other two can be reliable slot WRs

However, I am an optimist. Those are optimistic projections. I am hoping for the best, but we've tended not to get the best outcome at WR over the past decade.

How many times have we counted on a young WR to improve and paid for it?(Donnie Avery, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, etc.) How many times have we counted on a rookie to contribute and paid for it?(Donnie Avery, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, Pharoh Cooper, etc.)

Thus, I don't want to hang Goff out to dry if the worst case scenario happens again. Decker has averaged 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs per 16 games over the past 6 years. He has produced with Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning, Geno Smith, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's a big-bodied WR who can run any route, play any WR spot, and make plays in the red-zone. Woods, Decker, and Kupp could all move all over the formation when on the field. All three are capable of playing any WR spot and will be where they're supposed to be when running routes.

That is why I want Decker. I recognize that he might push Cooper or Spruce or Thomas (or more than one) off the roster if he makes the team. If that happens, so be it. It's a competition. May the best man win. The truth is that those guys might prove not to be anything more than JAGs. I hope they're better than that, but the odds that they are JAGs are far greater than the odds that they're as good or better than Decker.

Now, if McVay is comfortable with those guys and confident in them, I won't complain. I trust his evaluations. But it would make me a lot more confident in our WRs if we had another proven vet. I'm worried that Goff, like Bradford, is going to get stuck with an under-performing WR corp that will hinder his development.

It's not going to happen, but I see your point. The Rams do have a roster full of maybes, of which everyone is hoping for the best for yet another year. Meanwhile, Decker is already a proven talent.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Jared Goff.

Our current WRs are:

That's a great rationale, jrry32.

While I see your logic, I remain unconvinced.

I prefer keeping the cap dollars and roster spot in house. I like the kids we have, except for Tavon. A group of football smart, route running, good hands mofos.

I believe that Goff can and will thrive with the WR's that we now have. If not, I fear that the problem is Goff.

Now, I will confess that I need to see results from our TE tandem of Higbee and Everett on the field before I can begin to get comfortable there. Read that Higbee had a nice day in mini-camp, so that's encouraging.

Ram65

Legend
Jeremy Maclin signed a 2 year, $11,000,000 contract with the Baltimore Ravens, including $6,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000. In 2017, Maclin will earn, while carrying a cap hit of .

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/jeremy-maclin-5914/

Not all the details are in but, 5.5M per year is a too rich for the Rams. I figure this could be a reference point for signing Decker.

The Rams could be bidding for Decker with Cleveland and Tennessee with the possibility of others. With Decker coming off two surgeries he may only get a one year show deal. I get that it would be nice to have another proven vet for Goff. I would be excited if Decker was a really healthy Ram to start the season.

How much money would it take to sign Decker?

How long a deal and how much is guaranteed?

I think when McVay and Snead adds up the risk of the injury history, money, and short term return vs going with one of the younger players they will pass on Decker.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Would think Decker is looking to go to a playoff team with a vet QB, as we would like to get his career back on track. That is not the rams.
Also with the rams having so many young receivers that need reps, would rather not bring in a vet WR to take reps away. See what we have.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm going to guess that they will see how their system works with the offensive talent we have. It's the first year and they may feel the same as many of us that the offense of the past didn't hive us a clue on who was capable of what.