How about Eric Decker? Signs with Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's good but he hasn't played yet even at OTA's. Like I stated Rams have to find out about his injuries/health.

The old next to nothing trade.;) That's fine. Got to image the Jets will get some nice offers if his injuries check out.

He also has salary of 7.25 Million in 2017 and 7.50 Million in 2018. I don't see the money being worth it for two years.

Why do you want him?

He has played at OTAs:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/23/eric-decker-participating-in-otas/

Why do I want him? I want a proven veteran for Goff. I don't want to risk another year where none of our young WRs step up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then we rely with what we got. Adapt and overcome.

We've done that since Holt left. We can hope for the best, but it's always good to prepare for the worst. If we trade next to nothing for Decker, we could always cut him if the young WRs beat him out.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
We've done that since Holt left. We can hope for the best, but it's always good to prepare for the worst. If we trade next to nothing for Decker, we could always cut him if the young WRs beat him out.

^^^Very sad but true statement about finding that golden receiver.

My next question is does Decker still want to play? I mean really play or does he just want to ease into retirement mode just to earn a little extra cash?... If he is willing to play a vet role model for a year or 2 for cheap than I am ok with that.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
We don't need a game-changer. We just need a reliable vet. Listen, I have high hopes for Woods and our young WRs, but we're in a position again where we have nobody proven on the roster. What happens if Kupp and Reynolds struggle like most rookies do? What happens if Thomas, Cooper, and Spruce don't progress? What happens if Tavon continues to be Tavon? What happens if Woods is only the 600 to 700 yard WR that he was in Buffalo? What happens if Woods gets nicked up and misses time?

At the end of the day, we all hope for the best. We all try to be optimistic. But there's a real risk that our WRs struggle again. I want to believe they don't, but it would put my mind at ease if we had a proven vet.
I think realistically the Rams have to be planning to use 2017 as a growing and improving process to compete in 2018 and beyond, and letting Goff (or Mannion, whatever) develop a rapport with the WRs who have a shot at being contributors for at least a few years to come is more valuable than having a guy like Decker come in and mayyyyyyyyybe influence one extra win.

He's not nearly good enough to push the Rams' passing offense over the top, and he's not in your medium- or long-term future. His contributions wouldn't come close to the value of letting Kupp, Thomas, Woods et al take their lumps, get more experience on the field and develop into a cohesive passing attack.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
^^^Very sad but true statement about finding that golden receiver.
Perhaps Air Bud 2 is available?

Air_Bud_-_Golden_Receiver.jpg

Ram65

Legend
He has played at OTAs:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/23/eric-decker-participating-in-otas/

Why do I want him? I want a proven veteran for Goff. I don't want to risk another year where none of our young WRs step up.

My bad didn't know that he was participating in OTAs. I read you post above too. He has good hands and his big with the ability to go over the middle. Would be a nice target for Goff. I get and I'd be on board too if he didn't cost 7.25 and 7.50 = 14.75 Million over the next two years. Rams have lots of potential free agents and Donald's contract coming up. Sure they can redo contracts but, I not sure its worth doing that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYxfRVChb4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMTBTLMu-pQ

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think realistically the Rams have to be planning to use 2017 as a growing and improving process to compete in 2018 and beyond, and letting Goff (or Mannion, whatever) develop a rapport with the WRs who have a shot at being contributors for at least a few years to come is more valuable than having a guy like Decker come in and mayyyyyyyyybe influence one extra win.

He's not nearly good enough to push the Rams' passing offense over the top, and he's not in your medium- or long-term future. His contributions wouldn't come close to the value of letting Kupp, Thomas, Woods et al take their lumps, get more experience on the field and develop into a cohesive passing attack.

It would help the young WRs to have a vet who can show them how to work and prepare. It would help Goff to have a vet as well. I want to see Goff have a good year. He needs the confidence boost.

Letting the young WRs take their lumps could hang Goff out to dry if they struggle.

As for wins and losses, I'm not throwing in the towel on the season before it starts.

My bad didn't know that he was participating in OTAs. I read you post above too. He has good hands and his big with the ability to go over the middle. Would be a nice target for Goff. I get and I'd be on board too if he didn't cost 7.25 and 7.50 = 14.75 Million over the next two years. Rams have lots of potential free agents and Donald's contract coming up. Sure they can redo contracts but, I not sure its worth doing that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYxfRVChb4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMTBTLMu-pQ

Yea, that isn't ideal, but none of it is guaranteed.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
It would help the young WRs to have a vet who can show them how to work and prepare. It would help Goff to have a vet as well. I want to see Goff have a good year. He needs the confidence boost.

Letting the young WRs take their lumps could hang Goff out to dry if they struggle.

As for wins and losses, I'm not throwing in the towel on the season before it starts.
I'm not saying you throw in the towel before the season starts, I'm saying you have a plan to build a young roster into a young, experienced roster over the course of a year or two. You hope to win your way into the playoffs in year 1, but understand that the goal is to build a roster with long-term players who have gotten experience in McVay's system with their fellow offensive players.

Eric Decker is the guy you add when you've got a good offense but need a reliable 3rd-down WR to complement your established WRs. I think he'd fit well in Pittsburgh or Cincy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying you throw in the towel before the season starts, I'm saying you have a plan to build a young roster into a young, experienced roster over the course of a year or two. You hope to win your way into the playoffs in year 1, but understand that the goal is to build a roster with long-term players who have gotten experience in McVay's system with their fellow offensive players.

At the same time, if the young WRs are ready, they'll beat out Decker for the job. If they aren't, it behooves everybody to let them wait.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Decker is already cleared. He's participating fully in OTAs.
Not really. He's not running full speed. He's "participating" in OTA much the same that TA is participating. He's not in game shape, not even close. I've heard interviews with him several times over the past 2 months

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
At the same time, if the young WRs are ready, they'll beat out Decker for the job. If they aren't, it behooves everybody to let them wait.
I think we just have different opinions on the best way to prepare young WRs. I think they grow the most by both practicing with the first team and lining up every week against NFL cornerbacks looking to do them harm. Decker would take snaps away from guys who may well grow into better players, stunting their growth in 2017. I just don't see him as ever being more to a team like the Rams than a stopgap with no future value.

The best thing, IMO, for a young WR is to get the most snaps possible in game situations with their QB. Decker takes those snaps away.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In the " Old Days!" If Al Davis where around he would be jumping on all 4 of the Players the J-E-T-S have dumped!!:D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really. He's not running full speed. He's "participating" in OTA much the same that TA is participating. He's not in game shape, not even close. I've heard interviews with him several times over the past 2 months

He's participating at OTAs and will undoubtedly have no limitations come training camp. You made it seem like he's much further away than he is.
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/05/jets_otas_day_1_xx_takeaways_including_eric_decker.html
Decker is coming off hip and shoulder surgeries, but you wouldn't know it by watching him Tuesday. He moved around at full speed — and moved around very well.

At one point, Decker made a sliding, rolling catch. And then he popped right up and jogged back to the huddle. He showed no obvious ill effects of two surgeries.

Decker wore a red (non-contact) jersey Tuesday. But he did participate in 11-on-11 teams period action. A great sign for him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we just have different opinions on the best way to prepare young WRs. I think they grow the most by both practicing with the first team and lining up every week against NFL cornerbacks looking to do them harm. Decker would take snaps away from guys who may well grow into better players, stunting their growth in 2017. I just don't see him as ever being more to a team like the Rams than a stopgap with no future value.

The best thing, IMO, for a young WR is to get the most snaps possible in game situations with their QB. Decker takes those snaps away.

I think every player grows differently. You can stunt a guy's growth by throwing him out too early and shattering his confidence. If the WRs are ready to play, they'll beat Decker out for a job. If they can't, bringing them along more slowly won't stunt their growth imo.

Decker's value to the Rams is for Jared Goff's development. That's the development I am worried about us stunting. Robert Woods is a great start. Kupp, if he's ready, is another great start. We need to continue to give Goff guys he can rely on. Decker is that sort of player.

Sometimes, young teams need veteran stopgaps. Look at Andrew Whitworth.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I think every player grows differently. You can stunt a guy's growth by throwing him out too early and shattering his confidence. If the WRs are ready to play, they'll beat Decker out for a job. If they can't, bringing them along more slowly won't stunt their growth imo.

Decker's value to the Rams is for Jared Goff's development. That's the development I am worried about us stunting. Robert Woods is a great start. Kupp, if he's ready, is another great start. We need to continue to give Goff guys he can rely on. Decker is that sort of player.

Sometimes, young teams need veteran stopgaps. Look at Andrew Whitworth.
Whitworth is one of the best at his position. Decker is a reasonably good WR coming off a major injury. If you were discussing bringing in an aging wideout with a track record and who was established as one of the premier guys at his position, I'd be more inclined to agree with a signing. As it is, I see the signing of Decker as akin to someone signing, say, a 33-year-old version of Rodger Saffold.

The Rams young veteran WRs need to be the ones who step up - Cooper, Marquez, Woods, Higbee - because they're now all veterans (as in not rookies) and ostensibly the future of the position. I just can't fathom that they can't come up with two guys better in 2017 than Eric Decker, plus Austin in the slot.

If he's cheap - like vet minimum cheap - let him compete in training camp, but if the Rams can't field two guys out of their existing group better than him, they're going to have continued pass-game issues for a while.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whitworth is one of the best at his position. Decker is a reasonably good WR coming off a major injury. If you were discussing bringing in an aging wideout with a track record and who was established as one of the premier guys at his position, I'd be more inclined to agree with a signing. As it is, I see the signing of Decker as akin to someone signing, say, a 33-year-old version of Rodger Saffold.

Decker just turned 30 and has been durable throughout his career. We wouldn't be able to get a premier WR, even an aging one, for next to nothing.

Whitworth was brought in for veteran leadership, to stabilize a young OL, and to give Goff needed help. Decker offers the same benefits.

Trading for Decker if we have to give up next to nothing is a low risk/high reward move.

The Rams young veteran WRs need to be the ones who step up - Cooper, Marquez, Woods, Higbee - because they're now all veterans (as in not rookies) and ostensibly the future of the position. I just can't fathom that they can't come up with two guys better in 2017 than Eric Decker, plus Austin in the slot.

Austin isn't playing the slot. You can't fathom that we couldn't find two guys better than a WR who averaged 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs from 2012 to 2015 (before missing last year with injuries)? Those are some high expectations.

Again, the Rams young WRs do need to be the ones who step up, but Goff is hung out to dry if they don't. I don't want a situation where Goff's development hinges on everything going right.

If he's cheap - like vet minimum cheap - let him compete in training camp, but if the Rams can't field two guys out of their existing group better than him, they're going to have continued pass-game issues for a while.

We're going to have passing game issues if we don't have two WRs better than one of the best #2 WRs in the NFL? That's a nutty notion.

Ram65

Legend
Yea, that isn't ideal, but none of it is guaranteed.

So you get him for one year or redo his contract?

Let's see if the Jets gets any offers. His contract could stop teams from making offers. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what teams need a Decker and have the money. Could be no team offers a trade. I see the value of Decker. I also think Woods will show his leadership and make plays. Kupp is not a typical rookie and the rest are working hard to be ready.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you get him for one year or redo his contract?

Let's see if the Jets gets any offers. His contract could stop teams from making offers. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what teams need a Decker and have the money. Could be no team offers a trade. I see the value of Decker. I also think Woods will show his leadership and make plays. Kupp is not a typical rookie and the rest are working hard to be ready.

You can get him for two years, or you can cut him at any time after you trade for him (with no dead money).

My problem with trying to sign him is that you likely have to offer guaranteed money at that point (if he's cut).