Hochman: Selfish Janoris Jenkins tweets after loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like a personal problem, you know what they say about assumptions.

I figured we all learned that just because a guy is a big mouth and self promotes doesn't mean he invariably doesn't give a crap about winning. Neon Deion comes to mind immediately.

Exactly. I'm not sure how anyone can question Jenkins's dedication to winning. We haven't watched the same player if you believe that. CBs that only care about their stats don't take on an OG at the goal-line, beat him, and make the stop on the HB. You don't see many CBs with the balls to do what Jenkins consistently does as a run defender.

What I'm getting at is there's a lot more to the job than just a given assignment on a given play. Perhaps JJ will watch the movie Mr. 3000 some day.

There is and there isn't. On the field, you handle your assignment. Especially on defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good point lol, but I do remember him getting beat in coverage a few times and missing a few tackles. I remember it because it hadn't really happened up until this point in the season.

I remember a few catches underneath and Diggs beating him on a long developing route because we had no pass rush. Don't remember him getting beat badly or struggling.

I do remember two missed tackles. But with all he's done as a run defender this year, he can miss a couple tackles.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I remember a few catches underneath and Diggs beating him on a long developing route because we had no pass rush. Don't remember him getting beat badly or struggling.

I do remember two missed tackles. But with all he's done as a run defender this year, he can miss a couple tackles.
I think, if we look at it in perspective mode, it might have been his worst game, this year. It wasn't even a bad game, really. Just, he's been playing at an extremely high level.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree you don't throw them out but you don't necessarily break the bank for him either. I don't see top 10 (and that is all subjective) I see a guy playing for a new contract. With that coming for a guy who has displayed questionable character it should be a concern.
What about his character is questionable. I just don't get it people still holding on to things that were done in COLLEGE. The guy is in a contract negotiations if you don't think the Rams will use those negatives plays against him you are crazy, so why not point out the positives

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What about his character is questionable. I just don't get it people still holding on to things that were done in COLLEGE. The guy is in a contract negotiations if you don't think the Rams will use those negatives plays against him you are crazy, so why not point out the positives
What about the suspension in SF his rookie year what about the team trying to reign him in about his life away from the field what about the selfish "All I can do is my job" When he didn't do that great of a job to begin with? There are times when people change but I don't believe JJ has, if anything he has bought in even more to people telling him how great he is when he is just an average football player. He's got problems now.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
There is and there isn't. On the field, you handle your assignment. Especially on defense.
Sorry I'm not explaining this better. An example is if the Rams are in man coverage and JL's assignment is to cover the RB, who stays to block before releasing. Meanwhile JJ trips over his own feet leaving his assignment wide open. JL decides to leave the RB and covers JJ's man thus preventing a wide open TD. They then dump it to the RB who scampers for a first down.

What's JL's grade on the play? He blew his assignment, his assigned receiver got open and even got a first down, right? Terrible! Seems like some in this thread feel the correct action would have been JL stays on the RB, prevents the dumpoff to the RB, watches the other team complete a wide open TD pass for the win, then tweet "Screw JJ he fell down, all I can do is my job, hahaha".

Of course the response is I'm being silly, of course the "assignment" includes being smart in that situation. The "assignment" includes reacting with how the game changes. Which is my point. I have yet to see a playbook that reads "CB assignment is to cover WR1 unless MLB falls down then the assignment is x, and if both MLB and FS fall down then CB must do y... " Unless you want to write a defensive playbook that rivals string theory describing every assignment accounting for every infinite possibility that can happen on every play in this or alternate universes, what it comes down to is doing the assignment itself is the kindergarten level. Of course you do the assignment in a disciplined manner trusting teammates to do their assignment. Then the next question is how else do you help the team win? How did you not only do your assignment but also pick up your teammates when they fall and everything else that goes into being a great football player?

Hopefully this helps, it's actually one of the hardest concepts to teach to young players, some get it some never do. Coaches spend hours preaching carry out your assignment, be disciplined and trust your teammates to do theirs and when all 11 are in synch that's how to play team defense. And then all of the sudden it's added doing the assignment is not the end, it's just the beginning of great defense. It's when you get the true football players that understand there's more to it when you start winning at the next level.

It's this concept that maybe explains why JJ thought he did his job while PFF says he didn't. Or if you add up the PFF individual grades in a game, the team with the most grade points (i.e., did their assignments best) doesn't win 100% of the time. Or maybe it's just PFF sucks, or better yet both?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You can give JJ $100,000,000 guaranteed if you want. Without a QB, some decent WRs and about 3 more decent OLmen it'll add up to 8-8 with or without him. If it's me, I resign TJ who's quietly having a good year himself, work Roberson into the defensive mix maybe 10 plays a game in place of Joyner to see exactly what he may give next year, and then make a decision. Even without JJ that leaves Gaines, TJ Roberson and Joyner and any potential picks or free agents so it's not like breaking the bank is required to field a decent defense. The DL and the 3 headed safely monster of McDonald, McLeod, and Barron is what's driving this defense right now anyway. Resign Barron before JJ. I'd even look at Fairley before him. It's not that I don't like JJ, but the secondary is a unit of good strength and depth while the entire offense minus Gurley and Austin suck balls. That's where the money and the focus come to play next off-season if it where up to me.

Besides, if we fix the offense next year and make the playoffs next year without JJ (which we will be capable of doing) the salary cap will breathe a huge sigh of relief without a $75,000,000 CB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Out of curiosity - for those of you who would rather part ways with JJ, who are the mild mannered, well spoken, take less money for the good of the team cornerbacks in the league that you would propose we bring in?

As I look around, I see #1 corners a lot like #1 WRs - divas who want to get paid. It is what it is.

Gaines is a better corner than Jenks already when you consider what he will bring vs Jenks on a big contract. He will give this team more consistency and a better overall defense than Jenks will straight up. Jenks "consistency" we are seeing is only due to this being a contract season. I realize Gaines' injury is an issue, but at the end of this season the Rams should know how his progress looks and whether they can count on him next season.

I'm fine with the Rams franchising Jenks btw. Because he'll still have to produce. But if I'm right that will pi$$ him off big time because he'll have to discipline himself for another full season to not go back to his bad habits of peeking at the QB and gambling.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry I'm not explaining this better. An example is if the Rams are in man coverage and JL's assignment is to cover the RB, who stays to block before releasing. Meanwhile JJ trips over his own feet leaving his assignment wide open. JL decides to leave the RB and covers JJ's man thus preventing a wide open TD. They then dump it to the RB who scampers for a first down.

What's JL's grade on the play? He blew his assignment, his assigned receiver got open and even got a first down, right? Terrible! Seems like some in this thread feel the correct action would have been JL stays on the RB, prevents the dumpoff to the RB, watches the other team complete a wide open TD pass for the win, then tweet "Screw JJ he fell down, all I can do is my job, hahaha".

Of course the response is I'm being silly, of course the "assignment" includes being smart in that situation. The "assignment" includes reacting with how the game changes. Which is my point. I have yet to see a playbook that reads "CB assignment is to cover WR1 unless MLB falls down then the assignment is x, and if both MLB and FS fall down then CB must do y... " Unless you want to write a defensive playbook that rivals string theory describing every assignment accounting for every infinite possibility that can happen on every play in this or alternate universes, what it comes down to is doing the assignment itself is the kindergarten level. Of course you do the assignment in a disciplined manner trusting teammates to do their assignment. Then the next question is how else do you help the team win? How did you not only do your assignment but also pick up your teammates when they fall and everything else that goes into being a great football player?

Hopefully this helps, it's actually one of the hardest concepts to teach to young players, some get it some never do. Coaches spend hours preaching carry out your assignment, be disciplined and trust your teammates to do theirs and when all 11 are in synch that's how to play team defense. And then all of the sudden it's added doing the assignment is not the end, it's just the beginning of great defense. It's when you get the true football players that understand there's more to it when you start winning at the next level.

You're talking about an exception to the rule. It's a fair point but there aren't a lot of scenarios when a CB should be covering for someone else's assignment. Because the CB typically has an important assignment that they shouldn't leave. We remember when JJ and McLeod both tried to cover for E.J. Gaines last year which left Dez Bryant wide open.

I understand your point. But it's such a specific situation when we're talking in generalities. And I don't recall any situations yesterday where Jenkins should have covered for someone else rather than carrying out his assignments.

It's this concept that maybe explains why JJ thought he did his job while PFF says he didn't. Or if you add up the PFF individual grades in a game, the team with the most grade points (i.e., did their assignments best) doesn't win 100% of the time. Or maybe it's just PFF sucks, or better yet both?

Nah. That's far too in depth for PFF. They just grade individual match-ups without considering assignments or scheme. Which is the problem and why their grades don't mean anything.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fine with the Rams franchising Jenks btw. Because he'll still have to produce. But if I'm right that will pi$$ him off big time because he'll have to discipline himself for another full season to not go back to his bad habits of peeking at the QB and gambling.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about the suspension in SF his rookie year what about the team trying to reign him in about his life away from the field what about the selfish "All I can do is my job" When he didn't do that great of a job to begin with? There are times when people change but I don't believe JJ has, if anything he has bought in even more to people telling him how great he is when he is just an average football player. He's got problems now.
Suspension that was 1 game his ROOKIE year get over it.. right now Stedman have more character concerns than jenkins

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Trumaine Johnson after every game, win or loss, retweets or tweets people praising him. And no one bats an eye.

Janoris does the same, and everyone is up in arms? There's is something more, and I think it's people who don't like his lifestyle. And honestly who the hell cares what that is and why should it matter?

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Hochman: Selfish Janoris Jenkins tweets after loss
• By Benjamin Hochman

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_06b9c67a-a4b3-59bc-b5b5-dac7392d4bed.html

MINNEAPOLIS • It takes a special type of teammate to show off about his personal accomplishments after his team loses a game.

The Rams' Janoris Jenkins did as such Sunday, following the Rams' 21-18 overtime loss at Minnesota. The cornerback tweeted “Numbers don't lie.. #ClampSeason..” in reference to his ability to clamp down on a receiver. Below was a photo of the Vikings' receiving stats, and Stefon Diggs' numbers were highlighted in bright yellow — three catches for 42 yards on five targets.

Yes, Jenkins was proud of his defense. Played hard, all that stuff. And maybe he was tweeting in response to some digs by Diggs or trash talk from trolls. But Jenkins looks so bad here — he looks like he cares more about his personal play than the team's play ... as if he's cool with the loss, as long as he clamped down.

Jenkins then tweeted: “I can only do my job.. Hahahaha #Clamps.”

Shortly after, St. Louis radio host Joe Roderick forwarded that sentiment to numerous Super Bowl Rams greats, asking how something like this would've played in their locker room. Kurt Warner tweeted back: “We never had to worry about that stuff #AllAboutTheTeam”

So this is all just great.

As for Jenkins' day, he had a big pass breakup on a third down in the fourth quarter, but also committed pass interference in the first. He totaled four tackles, one for loss. He got beat a couple times and missed a tackle too, which led to a first down.

And his team LOST.

Perhaps the best tweet I saw in response to all of this was from @CFurtado92, who said: “Can we just send Janoris Jenkins to LA?”

It's kinda lame for him to be doing. What's most scary about it to me is the it seems he's already decided he's leaving the Rams after this season so he really doesn't care about who he pisses off. In fact, this may BE a plan to piss off the Rams so much so they won't franchise tag him? Who knows. I love his play on the field, but this is pretty lame of him to do after a bad loss.

RAMBUSH

Starter

is this what journalism has come to nowadays? reading tweets from sportsmen like schoolgirls read tweets by beiberboy. why doesn't he do some real journalism work and go ask fisher why he played for the fg with 4 mins left on the clock instead of trying to take the lead.

so jenkins is happy he held diggs below 50 yards. he should be because nobody else has been able to so far. why does this guy have his panties in a knot?

Yes sir, I agree 100%
He shut digs down , maybe a tweet to shut him up !
At least he didn't puff one like me and studman !!!! Ha Ha!
Go Rams !!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trumaine Johnson after every game, win or loss, retweets or tweets people praising him. And no one bats an eye.

Janoris does the same, and everyone is up in arms? There's is something more, and I think it's people who don't like his lifestyle. And honestly who the hell cares what that is and why should it matter?
My kids are older now (adults)...

... but, when they were younger, I'd rather have James Laurinaitis or Chris long to hold up as examples, than Jenoris Jenkins.

Just how I feel... neither right, nor wrong.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My kids are older now (adults)...

... but, when they were younger, I'd rather have James Laurinaitis or Chris long to hold up as examples, than Jenoris Jenkins.

Just how I feel... neither right, nor wrong.

So they should be the guys.

Why should Janoris change b/c other people don't like what he does?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think the point of waiting a day or two after an important loss is a decent one. You just lost a game with playoff implications. I don't care if you're Joe Montana, wait a day or two before tooting your horn. It seems to me to be the right thing to do. Should this factor in on resigning him? Probably not. It's not like mature football players grow on trees. His replacement would probably do a three minute choreographed TD dance when down by 4 TDs. It's just yet another thing to willfully ignored in order to enjoy football.