Hochman: Selfish Janoris Jenkins tweets after loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Hochman: Selfish Janoris Jenkins tweets after loss
• By Benjamin Hochman

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_06b9c67a-a4b3-59bc-b5b5-dac7392d4bed.html

MINNEAPOLIS • It takes a special type of teammate to show off about his personal accomplishments after his team loses a game.

The Rams' Janoris Jenkins did as such Sunday, following the Rams' 21-18 overtime loss at Minnesota. The cornerback tweeted “Numbers don't lie.. #ClampSeason..” in reference to his ability to clamp down on a receiver. Below was a photo of the Vikings' receiving stats, and Stefon Diggs' numbers were highlighted in bright yellow — three catches for 42 yards on five targets.

Yes, Jenkins was proud of his defense. Played hard, all that stuff. And maybe he was tweeting in response to some digs by Diggs or trash talk from trolls. But Jenkins looks so bad here — he looks like he cares more about his personal play than the team's play ... as if he's cool with the loss, as long as he clamped down.

Jenkins then tweeted: “I can only do my job.. Hahahaha #Clamps.”

Shortly after, St. Louis radio host Joe Roderick forwarded that sentiment to numerous Super Bowl Rams greats, asking how something like this would've played in their locker room. Kurt Warner tweeted back: “We never had to worry about that stuff #AllAboutTheTeam”

So this is all just great.

As for Jenkins' day, he had a big pass breakup on a third down in the fourth quarter, but also committed pass interference in the first. He totaled four tackles, one for loss. He got beat a couple times and missed a tackle too, which led to a first down.

And his team LOST.

Perhaps the best tweet I saw in response to all of this was from @CFurtado92, who said: “Can we just send Janoris Jenkins to LA?”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jenkins can do whatever he wants after the game as long as he does his job on the field. He did today. He's not hurting anyone and he's not the one failing to get the job done (and costing us wins).

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I literally do not care.

What I do care about is him coming back. He can tweet all he wants as long as the Rams are the ones paying his cell phone bill.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Jenkins can do whatever he wants after the game as long as he does his job on the field. He did today. He's not hurting anyone and he's not the one failing to get the job done (and costing us wins).
This, people want to dump on JJ so hard, he's a bit of a loudmouth yeah but people take it way too far and way too personally, they act like he's Greg Hardy with how much vitriol gets thrown his way.

Like, why aren't people getting pissed and yelling about our O who won't pull it's head out of their ass? Nah, lets bitch at our shut down corner because he's not committing honorable suicide in a game where the defense did enough to win.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This, people want to dump on JJ so hard, he's a bit of a loudmouth yeah but people take it way too far and way too personally, they act like he's Greg Hardy with how much vitriol gets thrown his way.

Like, why aren't people getting pissed and yelling about our O who won't pull it's head out of their ass? Nah, lets bitch at our shut down corner because he's not committing honorable suicide in a game where the defense did enough to win.

I've been yapping about the offense for a while. People call you negative when you do that, so that's why you don't hear people getting pissed outside of game day threads.

As far as JJ, he's an idiot that plays pretty good CB.

jjab360

Legend
Jenkins is what he is, he's a smart football player but seriously lacking in common sense. This pisses me off a little because it's the type of talk that can divide a locker room, but whatever, we've got bigger problems.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

I don't like how he seems able to turn it on or off at will though. You kind of feel that if his motivation is purely money rather than potentially being great, or overcoming that knock on him coming out of the draft that he was an immature kid - you'd think he'd have a chip on his shoulder about it but he doesn't seem to etc - that as soon as he gets paid his play will fall off. I'm worried about that because we're going to pay him I feel.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

is this what journalism has come to nowadays? reading tweets from sportsmen like schoolgirls read tweets by beiberboy. why doesn't he do some real journalism work and go ask fisher why he played for the fg with 4 mins left on the clock instead of trying to take the lead.

so jenkins is happy he held diggs below 50 yards. he should be because nobody else has been able to so far. why does this guy have his panties in a knot?

Big Willie

Starter
Not a fan of Jenkins. I think he only gives full effort when he chooses to, and has only stepped up this year to get a big contract. (I have no facts on these fronts...it's just how I feel.) In addition, he has a tendency to run his mouth and say stupid things (via Twitter), and as a result rubs some of us the wrong way.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
A lot of outrage over nothing. Let him be proud, so what? The defense has had to carry the team--it's no secret. He didn't complain about that or even mention the offense.

If posting this sort of tweet divides the locker room than they weren't that together to start.

Just silly.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
If everyone on our team did their job as well as he does, we win a lot more games and quite honestly, I couldn't care what they tweeted. We also would all be a lot happier each week!!!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i get that players should be able to do whatever they want once they take off the jersey but it's kind of discouraging to see a guy highlighting his stats after a loss. He literally highlighted his stats and posted them on Twitter. Maybe he's only playing for himself. Maybe he's given up on the offense ever winning them games like we have. I dunno, but a guy talking about his stats during the final year of his contract is something to keep an eye on.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I understand the frustration but you can't blame the loss on your teammates and claim yourself as above it.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Joe Roderick - pretty crappy journalism, JJ isn't a holier than thou kinda guy - he's not cut from the same cloth as Kurt Warner, besides, Warner has done his thing, he has done everything he wanted to do, JJ is a young guy which is finally putting it together on the field, I love the fact that he is, and I love the fact that he is proud of his numbers, I want him to be the best corner in the game and I want him to stay a Ram. If you get QBs avoiding his cover then surely thats a good thing for us?

As for #AllAboutTheTeam, it's not JJs job to worry about the team, sure I'm sure he's pi$$ed that they lost - but thats not down to him, he hadn't played as well maybe it would have been a bigger loss.

As @HometownBoy it's not like he's Greg Hardy

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
First he actually didn't do his job because part of the job means stepping up above and beyond "your job" to pick up for your teammates when they are down. I don't recall seeing his pick-6 that won the game. Overall I think the "I did my job" mentality fails because it shows the lack of comprehending the real meaning of team. The entire reason JJ can do his job is because the other 10 men on the field and coaches are doing their job. But sadly this is the PFF era now with the belief that individual performance can be isolated and graded as if players exist in their own little universe separate from the rest of the team, oblivious to the fact that everything the team does creates the circumstances that make an individual's grade. Even on an off day, part of the reason JJ shut down Diggs was the DL getting some semblance of pressure, GW calling blitzes, even credit the wind screwing with passes, etc... And it works both ways, sometimes the DL gets a sack because JJ's coverage is so good the QB has to hold the ball too long, or he makes an incredible effort to make up for the wrong blitz called. It all goes both ways, that's team. Instead of posting a "don't blame me" twit after a bad loss, how about posting after an INT thanking your D-line for the pressure on the QB, or the coaches for calling the right coverage scheme that allowed you to even be in that spot in the first place? Maybe players do and it's just the media jumps on the times where they look selfish, I don't know.

fancents86

Starter
First he actually didn't do his job because part of the job means stepping up above and beyond "your job" to pick up for your teammates when they are down. I don't recall seeing his pick-6 that won the game. Overall I think the "I did my job" mentality fails because it shows the lack of comprehending the real meaning of team. The entire reason JJ can do his job is because the other 10 men on the field and coaches are doing their job. But sadly this is the PFF era now with the belief that individual performance can be isolated and graded as if players exist in their own little universe separate from the rest of the team, oblivious to the fact that everything the team does creates the circumstances that make an individual's grade. Even on an off day, part of the reason JJ shut down Diggs was the DL getting some semblance of pressure, GW calling blitzes, even credit the wind screwing with passes, etc... And it works both ways, sometimes the DL gets a sack because JJ's coverage is so good the QB has to hold the ball too long, or he makes an incredible effort to make up for the wrong blitz called. It all goes both ways, that's team. Instead of posting a "don't blame me" twit after a bad loss, how about posting after an INT thanking your D-line for the pressure on the QB, or the coaches for calling the right coverage scheme that allowed you to even be in that spot in the first place? Maybe players do and it's just the media jumps on the times where they look selfish, I don't know.

A pick 6 is not a given in any game and is not the standard to be held to when determining if they are "doing their job". Do you hold every single one of our Defensive linemen to the standard that each should have a sack for 10 yds or more or a strip and recovery for a td each and every game? That would be great, but it ain't gonna happen.

As far as Jenkins he can tweet whatever he wants IMO. He's part of this defense that is the only thing that has kept us in games and at 500 or above. Now, if a member of the O starts spouting off at personal achievements, then I have a problem.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Honestly, you should only be talking smack, if at all, after you WIN. I don't care at all what he says on Twitter but just on reading what he said last night it seems like the team concept is something he doesn't quite grasp. Not sure how I would feel if he was my teammate. To me this really equates to years ago when Avery was dancing like an idiot after scoring a td when the Rams were losing big.

Psycho_X

Legend
As far as JJ, he's an idiot that plays pretty good CB.

This sums it up nicely. And yeah Jenkins wasn't thee reason we lost but he certainly didn't shut down his man. He gave up an important first down on one play and missed some tackles. I don't expect perfection out of anyone but if you're going to be bragging after a loss you better have been perfect.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
If Jenkins was under contract for the next 3 years, this wouldn't bother me. It kind of tells me that he's out for himself and at the end of the year he is probably going to chase the money without much consideration for this organization. Just my opinion.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Do you hold every single one of our Defensive linemen to the standard that each should have a sack for 10 yds or more or a strip and recovery for a td each and every game?
If they say after losing a game that they did their job, yes.