Hochman: Selfish Janoris Jenkins tweets after loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't care for Jenks because he's all about Jenks. And that is why I think he'll tank once he gets the big contract/payday. That tweet just reinforces my take on the dude. Rams decision is simple: franchise him or let him roll out to the highest bidder.

I realize I'm in a very small minority on this but I still hope he walks. Rams would get draft pick compensation and Fish/Snead will scoop another good young CB in the draft since it is one of the positions they are most skilled at evaluating. Money saved, future headaches with Janoris being distracted with spending his cashish, and more resources they can put to getting this effin offense fixed.

Rams are not going to win consistently until they score points. Hopefully Fish and Snead realize that. Even without Jenks we're gonna have a good defense. Offense needs to be the priority.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First he actually didn't do his job because part of the job means stepping up above and beyond "your job" to pick up for your teammates when they are down. I don't recall seeing his pick-6 that won the game. Overall I think the "I did my job" mentality fails because it shows the lack of comprehending the real meaning of team. The entire reason JJ can do his job is because the other 10 men on the field and coaches are doing their job. But sadly this is the PFF era now with the belief that individual performance can be isolated and graded as if players exist in their own little universe separate from the rest of the team, oblivious to the fact that everything the team does creates the circumstances that make an individual's grade. Even on an off day, part of the reason JJ shut down Diggs was the DL getting some semblance of pressure, GW calling blitzes, even credit the wind screwing with passes, etc... And it works both ways, sometimes the DL gets a sack because JJ's coverage is so good the QB has to hold the ball too long, or he makes an incredible effort to make up for the wrong blitz called. It all goes both ways, that's team. Instead of posting a "don't blame me" twit after a bad loss, how about posting after an INT thanking your D-line for the pressure on the QB, or the coaches for calling the right coverage scheme that allowed you to even be in that spot in the first place? Maybe players do and it's just the media jumps on the times where they look selfish, I don't know.

The DL got no pressure. Yes, you can isolate a guy doing his job. If you've played football (you may or may not have), you know that you're given certainly responsibilities and assignments on each play as a defender. It is possible for you to do your job when some of your teammates do not.

And don't even start with PFF.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No "I" in "TEAM".
(unless you're Jenkins)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He better be, too many damn holes on this team to get picky and choosy with our corner.
Well, if he is... he'll get his pay day... then watch how he performs.

He just strikes me as just "that kind of guy".

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't care for Jenks because he's all about Jenks. And that is why I think he'll tank once he gets the big contract/payday. That tweet just reinforces my take on the dude. Rams decision is simple: franchise him or let him roll out to the highest bidder.

I realize I'm in a very small minority on this but I still hope he walks. Rams would get draft pick compensation and Fish/Snead will scoop another good young CB in the draft since it is one of the positions they are most skilled at evaluating. Money saved, future headaches with Janoris being distracted with spending his cashish, and more resources they can put to getting this effin offense fixed.

Rams are not going to win consistently until they score points. Hopefully Fish and Snead realize that. Even without Jenks we're gonna have a good defense. Offense needs to be the priority.

I am pretty much on board with you here. I think when he gets paid he will be half the player. I dont want him to walk, but I would absolutely franchise him and make he prove it again and do it again before letting him walk.

What he tweeted is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but a team player does not do that...sorry. JJ has a lot of talent but I do have concerns throwing years and dollars at him. I will throw lots of dollars for 1 year at him though. He is 27 now, franchise him next year and the year after and let him walk at 30.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well, if he is... he'll get his pay day... then watch how he performs.

He just strikes me as just "that kind of guy".
Sounds like a personal problem, you know what they say about assumptions.

I figured we all learned that just because a guy is a big mouth and self promotes doesn't mean he invariably doesn't give a shit about winning. Neon Deion comes to mind immediately.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like a personal problem, you know what they say about assumptions.

I figured we all learned that just because a guy is a big mouth and self promotes doesn't mean he invariably doesn't give a crap about winning. Neon Deion comes to mind immediately.
Only time will tell if it's a personal problem.

Are you of the belief that, if he signs a massive contract, his play will remain unaffected?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It is possible for you to do your job when some of your teammates do not
What I'm getting at is there's a lot more to the job than just a given assignment on a given play. Perhaps JJ will watch the movie Mr. 3000 some day.

jjab360

Legend

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Given the choice of having JJ do what he does as a "me first guy", or as a "team first guy"... I'd take the latter.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Out of curiosity - for those of you who would rather part ways with JJ, who are the mild mannered, well spoken, take less money for the good of the team cornerbacks in the league that you would propose we bring in?

As I look around, I see #1 corners a lot like #1 WRs - divas who want to get paid. It is what it is.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Only time will tell if it's a personal problem.

Are you of the belief that, if he signs a massive contract, his play will remain unaffected?
Yep, the guy's never been a stranger about wanting to win with us or win period. He hasn't given me any reason to doubt him, what has he given you outside of the fact that he's kind of loud and self promoting? The guy plays his mind out, even when he was making mistakes it was for the reward of what that risk entailed, even back in college.

It makes sense to question his decision making, and if he'll continue to not bite on the things that hurt him in the past, but to say he doesn't care to win seems a bit much and drawing a lot out of nothing.

Last edited:

fancents86

Starter
Yep, the guy's never been a stranger about wanting to win with us or win period. He hasn't given me any reason to doubt him, what has he given you outside of the fact that he's kind of loud and self promoting? The guy plays his mind out, even when he was making mistakes it was for the reward of what that risk entailed even back in college.

It makes sense to question his decision making, and if he'll continue to not bite on the things that hurt him in the past, but to say he doesn't care to win seems a bit much and drawing a lot out of nothing.
Agree with every word here. Jenkins does everything he can to make the best play possible. Sometimes it doesn't work and some times it does. Jenks has been the same player since the moment he was drafted by us, he just wants what he believes he deserves. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm more of a humble man, but I understand that in this game it's not only about the team winning, but reaching personal goals and being the best player possible. Sometimes that can come off as arrogance.

jjab360

Legend
I think you missed the PFF part.
Good point lol, but I do remember him getting beat in coverage a few times and missing a few tackles. I remember it because it hadn't really happened up until this point in the season.