Hammond: Rams experimenting with players in different spots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Why not have robinson play guard. He is big and strong amd with all the pulling they do he would be great and especially playing guard they cant call him for those bogus as holding calls.
Because he plays without balance. He lunges out at the guy he is trying to block. At T he can set up inside and force the guy wide and push him outside the pocket. At G he will not be able to do this. A G that has bad balance, lunges and easily gives up angles is giving a direct route to the QB. At T he can actually cover for some of his technical short comings, not at G.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Me too not so sure about pass protection, but with Brown & Donnal I feel confident the running game will get more push and I would also like to see more three TE sets with Kendricks, Higbee and Harkey and then pound the football and don't go away from it.

THINK about how many games Kendricks has lost for The Rams ?? Not his fault per say, but just his mistakes & drops. He had another huge movement penilty in a late drive on 2-5 that Fisher pointed out. His drop against Carolina for a TD. I'd like to see the 2 rookie TE's take over.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Acts of the desperate.
Robinson had one inexcusably bad penalty....by the way Goffs knee was down short of the marker and I think he was short....that surely means failing to convert a fourth and half a yard.
Why move Robinson now? The running game was actually working at times on the left side.
He is coming off of two solid games in a row.
Odds Saffold goes down injured in the first half at LT?
A bad offensive coaching staff compounding bad draft selections with bad development and now desperate moves.
So, if the revamped line plays better that means they could not identify the best players this whole time. If they play worse it means they cannot develop depth. This is an admission of failure.
In terms of offense football F-
Fisher F-
Boras F-
Coach Bo F-
Snead F-
Players F-
This is the move of an offense in total fail mode. I would be amazed if it works at all.
Pathetic.

Agree with your F- for Fisher, Boras and Coach Bo. Snead ... no. He's responsble for drafting the players, not coaching them up. That's the job of the coaches, and besides, Fisher has a ton of input, so you can be pretty sure he got the players he wanted. If the coach gets the players he wants and still can't win with him, that's on the coach, not the GM.

Players? Hard to say when the coaching on that side of the ball is so terrible. But it seems like with many of these players we've seen flashes, what we haven't seen is consistency. A lot of that comes down to ... you guessed it ... coaching.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because he plays without balance. He lunges out at the guy he is trying to block. At T he can set up inside and force the guy wide and push him outside the pocket. At G he will not be able to do this. A G that has bad balance, lunges and easily gives up angles is giving a direct route to the QB. At T he can actually cover for some of his technical short comings, not at G.

I get what youre saying but the fact that he does lunge makes he better suited for guard. He is in a smaller area more compact and the guards are not as quick as the end rushers. He would be very good at run blocking being able to attack instead of reacting. Remember thats what got him drafted kn the first place. His quickness and strength. You look at his tapes from Auburn all he did was push forward him waiting to react is what causes his problems to me.

FRO

Legend
Agree with your F- for Fisher, Boras and Coach Bo. Snead ... no. He's responsble for drafting the players, not coaching them up. That's the job of the coaches, and besides, Fisher has a ton of input, so you can be pretty sure he got the players he wanted. If the coach gets the players he wants and still can't win with him, that's on the coach, not the GM.

Players? Hard to say when the coaching on that side of the ball is so terrible. But it seems like with many of these players we've seen flashes, what we haven't seen is consistency. A lot of that comes down to ... you guessed it ... coaching.
You have to give Snead an F- as well for drafting a guy 2 overall who played in a gimmick college offense without a playbook and almost zero passing attack and expect him to develop into an all pro LT. Yes his athletic ability warranted taking a risk on him, but not at 2 overall. If you wanted to go with a LT at 2 overall you would have went with Matthews because he was the better football player. Drafting raw athletes hoping to coach them up has been a failure.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You have to give Snead an F- as well for drafting a guy 2 overall who played in a gimmick college offense without a playbook and almost zero passing attack and expect him to develop into an all pro LT. Yes his athletic ability warranted taking a risk on him, but not at 2 overall. If you wanted to go with a LT at 2 overall you would have went with Matthews because he was the better football player. Drafting raw athletes hoping to coach them up has been a failure.

But that's who Fisher wanted. He wanted a big, strong, mauler in the run game, someone who was suited for a power blocking scheme. Then he let's his OC install a zone blocking scheme that is suited for more agile lineman.

Did Snead tell Fisher to hire that OC? Did Snead tell Fisher to install zone blocking and waste the power of big physical maulers with terrible play design that calls on them to cut block (thereby negating their power)?

Snead has done a good job of finding good players in every round. But Fisher's coaching talents (and ability to recognize and attract good assistants) translates to only one side of the ball.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“We are,” Fisher said. “We’re going to continue to do so, and it’s competitive. I’m not going to confirm or deny any lineup changes, but there’s a chance that there may be one or two.”
This^ pretty much says it all!
Fisher singled out Robinson’s penalty, after the game, as being particularly troublesome.

“Yeah, it was not necessary,” Fisher said Tuesday. “He’s pursuing, he’s hustling down field, he saw a color and he pushed. It was unfortunate because that was a big first down for us that was called back.”
"Massively Understated!!"!! When this^ happened I wanted to Plant my Foot in my TV so I could Kick-His-A$$!!

FRO

Legend
But that's who Fisher wanted. He wanted a big, strong, mauler in the run game, someone who was suited for a power blocking scheme. Then he let's his OC install a zone blocking scheme that is suited for more agile lineman.

Did Snead tell Fisher to hire that OC? Did Snead tell Fisher to install zone blocking and waste the power of big physical maulers with terrible play design that calls on them to cut block (thereby negating their power)?

Snead has done a good job of finding good players in every round. But Fisher's coaching talents (and ability to recognize and attract good assistants) translates to only one side of the ball.
Can't let Snead skate free here. If you are going to blame Fisher for the Robinson pick, then you have to credit him for the good picks too. I don't know who makes the call on drafting players. I assume the GM Snead does. How many high first, second, and third round picks have the Rams used in the Fisher/Snead regime to fix the offense? It has only gotten worse and you have to hold guys accountable, including Snead.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Brown definitely looked more useful in the running game earlier in the year although it was a small sample size.

Something has to be done about the OL and run blocking and I'm desperately trying (and failing) to be the one who says it should've been done before now and certainly not for Goff's second career start. The pass blocking has been good so I hope this shuffle doesn't change that.
I think over-all the O-Line play was much better Last week. To me it's the Play Calling!! IT STINKS!!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I'll throw this out for comment. Brown played both tackle positions at Louisville. I know he has been groomed to play guard, but he does have experience to play tackle. So what do guys think if Saffold stayed at LG an Brown moved to LT? Am I reaching too much here? Thoughts?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
"He was pursuing, hustling, he saw a color and he pushed. It was unnecessary "

Unnecessary? Telling these guys a third piece of pie is 'unnecessary '.
These kinds of penalties are way beyond unnecessary.

This is part of the problem. The coaches need to be much more clear about this. They need to say over and over, "IF YOU ARE PERSUING, DO NOT PUSH FROM BEHIND! ESPECIALLY ON 3RD DOWN!

This goes double for Special teams who seem even more nonchalant about blocks in the back. I'd guess that about half of all the team's good kick and punt returns are called back due to blocking penalties.

It's not rocket surgery, damn it!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Can't let Snead skate free here. If you are going to blame Fisher for the Robinson pick, then you have to credit him for the good picks too. I don't know who makes the call on drafting players. I assume the GM Snead does. How many high first, second, and third round picks have the Rams used in the Fisher/Snead regime to fix the offense? It has only gotten worse and you have to hold guys accountable, including Snead.

But when you give a coach players that have potential to be good and yet they are not, that has to fall on the coaching.

We've already discussed Robinson's physical gifts and desire to be better. Tavon Austin, another whipping boy on this board, has the potential to be a very dynamic weapon. In the right scheme, with the right coaching, he would be (if Mike Martz had a guy like Tavon, opposing DC's would wake up in cold sweats at night). The problem really comes down to coaching, and you can see by contrasting the offense and the defense.

On the defensive side of the ball, almost all of the players Snead has drafted have worked out to one degree or another. And on that side of the ball, we have good coaching. Fisher's only real mistake on that side of the ball was Tim Walton, and he corrected that one pretty quickly. He brought in a coordinator who is innovative, who doesn't try to fit square pegs in round holes, who instead of trying to force his scheme on the players figures out how to adapt his scheme to the strengths of his players, who makes on-the-fly adjustments to the opposing offense on game day, etc. This is why a 6th round pick like EJ Gaines becomes a starter early on. This is why a guy like Josh Forrest, on nobody's radar, shows great promise in his rookie year. On that side of the ball, those guys are very well coached, and it shows. How many guys have we talked about being busts on defense?

Compare that to what we have had here on offense: Schottenheimer, Cignetti, and now Boras. Do those names inspire confidence in you? All three of those guys have had Tavon Austin, and none of them has ever fully integrated him into the offense. Schotty and Co. turned Sam Bradford into a boring, safety first checkdown artist and virtually negated his superior arm talent. This past Sunday they wouldn't let Goff throw past the sticks on 3rd down (and in fact, most of the routes run were not beyond the sticks). The list of coaching malpractice incidents on the offensive side of the ball could go on for days. And that is not on Snead. That is on Fisher, his philosophy that minimizes risk taking on offense to a ridiculous degree, and his poor choices of OC starting with Brian Schottenheimer.

Bring in a head coach who's not a total retrograde on offense, one who is willing to take at least some risks and wants to score points, and I have plenty of confidence that he can get that guy the players he wants.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Great, so 2 new starters on the left side of the line, what could possibly go wrong?

When will they experiment with a new coaching staff?

As for what could possibly go wrong? "At this point, what difference does it make?" (her highness HELLary)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't know how I feel about this. Continuity is a key factor with an oline. If we're not playing well now, what makes anyone think we will be better by moving guys around. It's not like we have pro bowl oline men waiting on the bench. This should have been solved before game 1 of the season.
Sounds like Grob may be on the outs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Snead doesn't make draft choices, Fisher does. He has total roster and player control and has since day 1. Snead is little more than a scouting director.

fearsomefour

Legend
I get what youre saying but the fact that he does lunge makes he better suited for guard. He is in a smaller area more compact and the guards are not as quick as the end rushers. He would be very good at run blocking being able to attack instead of reacting. Remember thats what got him drafted kn the first place. His quickness and strength. You look at his tapes from Auburn all he did was push forward him waiting to react is what causes his problems to me.
He is athletic enough to play anywhere on the line.
The lunging at G would really expose.....lunging is not driving a defender back. A simple swim move or a guy even turning his shoulders and he will be defeated.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm all for Switching Rob and Saffold or benching Grob and putting in Brown. However, this shit should have been done DURING THE BYE WEEK!!! Freakin Fisher, he's such a EDIT. Why wait until your rookie QB comes in to make this move when two weeks ago you could have done it so they would be settled in by now? What a EDIT.

Ok im done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is athletic enough to play anywhere on the line.
The lunging at G would really expose.....lunging is not driving a defender back. A simple swim move or a guy even turning his shoulders and he will be defeated.
Maybe a guy like donald. But alot of dlineman are bull rusher going straight at you. I havent seen him do much of the lunging though not as much as he did earlier in his career his main problems are his hands ,and he can conceal them better with all the bodies around

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Maybe a guy like donald. But alot of dlineman are bull rusher going straight at you. I havent seen him do much of the lounging though not as much as he did earlier in his career his main problems are his hands ,and he can conceal them better with all the bodies around

I agree, ive always thought Grob would be a better guard. Why not leave him there for the rest of the year and see how he progresses. Maybe he excels there and if he doesn't you send him packing.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Acts of the desperate.
Robinson had one inexcusably bad penalty....by the way Goffs knee was down short of the marker and I think he was short....that surely means failing to convert a fourth and half a yard.
Why move Robinson now? The running game was actually working at times on the left side.
He is coming off of two solid games in a row.
Odds Saffold goes down injured in the first half at LT?
A bad offensive coaching staff compounding bad draft selections with bad development and now desperate moves.
So, if the revamped line plays better that means they could not identify the best players this whole time. If they play worse it means they cannot develop depth. This is an admission of failure.
In terms of offense football F-
Fisher F-
Boras F-
Coach Bo F-
Snead F-
Players F-
This is the move of an offense in total fail mode. I would be amazed if it works at all.
Pathetic.

Overreaction