Hammond: Rams experimenting with players in different spots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
oh2una-b88845243z.120161122201628000gsgk6q86.10.jpg

No one will be surprised if the Rams make changes to their offensive line for this week's game, with left tackle Greg Robinson, right, having been called for a league-high 12 penalties this season. (AP Photo/Duane Burleson

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – The Rams made their big move last week, when they swapped quarterbacks. After their fifth loss in six games, with their season teetering, the personnel tinkering will continue.

It seems all but certain that when the Rams play New Orleans on Sunday, it will be with something of a different look. Jared Goff will remain at quarterback, and it’s unlikely any changes will be made to a defense that has been mostly dominant this season, but a significant move on offense might be in order.

Coach Jeff Fisher hinted Monday that personnel changes could be coming, and after Tuesday’s practice, he confirmed that the Rams were experimenting with players in different spots.

“We are,” Fisher said. “We’re going to continue to do so, and it’s competitive. I’m not going to confirm or deny any lineup changes, but there’s a chance that there may be one or two.”

Major changes on defense would seem silly, as the Rams rank in the top six in the league in fewest points and yards allowed per game. The Rams, though, will have to replace reserve cornerback Troy Hill, who was waived Tuesday, three days after he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

That’s minor tinkering though, and any significant change would happen on the offensive side.

Goff isn’t going anywhere, and neither is star running back Todd Gurley. The Rams already have been trying different options at receiver and tight end, but largely have left the offensive line intact.

To date, they’ve been very patient with left tackle Greg Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick of the 2014 draft who has struggled to meet expectations. Robinson took over as the starting left tackle five games into his rookie season and has made 38 consecutive starts, but with questionable returns.

Robinson has been called for 12 penalties this season, most in the NFL. His penalties have nullified 82 yards that the Rams’ offense would have gained, which is the league’s third-highest total.

Official NFL stats also have charged Robinson with six “stalled-drive” penalties, ones in which the team failed to score points or pick up a first down after the penalty. Only Oakland rookie offensive tackle Vadal Alexander, with seven, has recorded more stalled-drive penalties this season.

Robinson had one particularly rough moment in Sunday’s loss to Miami.

Early in the fourth quarter, with the Rams leading, 10-0, Goff converted a third-and-10 attempt when he scrambled, dove for the marker and picked up 11 yards. The sideline celebrated until they noticed a flag had been thrown on Robinson, who shoved Miami’s Kiko Alonso in the back, 5 yards behind the play.

The Rams, who would have had the ball on the Miami 45, failed to convert the ensuing third-and-16 play and punted to the Dolphins, who scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns to win the game.

Fisher singled out Robinson’s penalty, after the game, as being particularly troublesome.

“Yeah, it was not necessary,” Fisher said Tuesday. “He’s pursuing, he’s hustling down field, he saw a color and he pushed. It was unfortunate because that was a big first down for us that was called back.”

The Rams have some options, should they choose to shake up the offensive line.

Left guard Rodger Saffold started his NFL career at left tackle but primarily has been playing guard since 2013. Saffold has started all 10 games this season at left guard, but he practiced at tackle throughout training camp because of injuries to other linemen.

Jamon Brown has started one game at guard this season but then lost his job to Cody Wichmann. Brown, who broke a bone in his hand last month, was on the inactive list for the Miami game, apparently because of Fisher’s decision, but could return to the lineup if needed.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This clears up Brown's injury apparently last week he was a healthy scratch so this one is easy, Saffold goes to LT and Brown will start at LG. I would also actually entertain the thought of going with Andrew Donnal at RG with hope of getting more push in the running game.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Brown definitely looked more useful in the running game earlier in the year although it was a small sample size.

Something has to be done about the OL and run blocking and I'm desperately trying (and failing) to be the one who says it should've been done before now and certainly not for Goff's second career start. The pass blocking has been good so I hope this shuffle doesn't change that.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
This clears up Brown's injury apparently last week he was a healthy scratch so this one is easy, Saffold goes to LT and Brown will start at LG. I would also actually entertain the thought of going with Andrew Donnal at RG with hope of getting more push in the running game.

Bingo! As stated in another thread. This will be the line-up on Sunday. Excited to see how the revamped line performs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great, so 2 new starters on the left side of the line, what could possibly go wrong?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bingo! As stated in another thread. This will be the line-up on Sunday. Excited to see how the revamped line performs.

Me too not so sure about pass protection, but with Brown & Donnal I feel confident the running game will get more push and I would also like to see more three TE sets with Kendricks, Higbee and Harkey and then pound the football and don't go away from it.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great, so 2 new starters on the left side of the line, what could possibly go wrong?
im more worried about Tavon at Safety and Donald at WR ......i mean its fisher who knows ?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Because they haven't stunk in pass pro and since Goff is finally playing, why would we risk that?

Well, I don't think you lose much at LT with Saffold in pass protection and I would agree that Brown and Donnal will have to play well, but IMO with those two at Guard the running game could be vastly improved which will help set up the play action pass and actually give Goff a better opportunity IMHO.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Well, I don't think you lose much at LT with Saffold in pass protection and I would agree that Brown and Donnal will have to play well, but IMO with those two at Guard the running game could be vastly improved which will help set up the play action pass and actually give Goff a better opportunity IMHO.

Sorry, I may have mislead a bit. Wichmann will still be at RG. Just a revamping of left side of the line.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'll say this... when I see a flag thrown on the offense, before I even know what happened... I automatically scream out "# 73!". I won't repeat what I say after.

A box of rocks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or if they open up the passing game, the running game will open up
IMO, anything more than flipping Grob and Saffold is a recipe for disaster

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry, I may have mislead a bit. Wichmann will still be at RG. Just a revamping of left side of the line.

Okay thought that Wichmann has struggled a bit getting push in the run game, but hopefully Brown is up for the task.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great we're weakening our pass pro a lot just what we need with a rookie QB on the road. Bookie what are the odds Saffold gets hurt before the half?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great we're weakening our pass pro a lot just what we need with a rookie QB on the road. Bookie what are the odds Saffold gets hurt before the half?
Amazing right?
Glaring weakness all season long gets ignored but when Fish finally puts Goff in, its time to retool the oline?
guinness_brilliant.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I not sure ONE PENALTY in a game deserves a benching...In fact, I'm sure of it...maybe a series...but don't start making changes on the line because of some dumb penalty...Run him!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not have robinson play guard. He is big and strong amd with all the pulling they do he would be great and especially playing guard they cant call him for those bogus as holding calls.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Why not have robinson play guard. He is big and strong amd with all the pulling they do he would be great and especially playing guard they cant call him for those bogus as holding calls.

If they bench him outright, then to me it's just an admission that they have failed in coaching him up. We all know he has the physical toolset, and his offseason work with Bentley - entirely voluntary - shows that he has the desire to get better. And while he may not be in line for a Nobel Prize in Quantm Physics anytime soon, I find it hard to believe that he's significantly less intelligent than what is average for other LT's in the game. But our coaches, at least on the offesnive side of the ball (and HC as well) seem to lack the ability to look in the mirror and ponder whether they are doing a good job of coaching him or others on the line.

fearsomefour

Legend
Acts of the desperate.
Robinson had one inexcusably bad penalty....by the way Goffs knee was down short of the marker and I think he was short....that surely means failing to convert a fourth and half a yard.
Why move Robinson now? The running game was actually working at times on the left side.
He is coming off of two solid games in a row.
Odds Saffold goes down injured in the first half at LT?
A bad offensive coaching staff compounding bad draft selections with bad development and now desperate moves.
So, if the revamped line plays better that means they could not identify the best players this whole time. If they play worse it means they cannot develop depth. This is an admission of failure.
In terms of offense football F-
Fisher F-
Boras F-
Coach Bo F-
Snead F-
Players F-
This is the move of an offense in total fail mode. I would be amazed if it works at all.
Pathetic.