GRob

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
there's definitely roster space to sign one of those two. those rookies are ours and they can sit on the bench as long as Fish wants them to. our "depth" is purely rookies and question marks and and some guy named Reynolds. I'd be much more comfortable with just one signing. who's even out there still shopping for those two besides Atlanta anyways?

Big Willie

Starter
Have faith brother. All is well on the OL front. There may even be a FA or trade in our future.

Alan

Legend
iced coming back with this:
Exactly - that's what i'm talking about. The zone Coverages where either Jenkins or the other safety blew the assignment - off the top of my head I remember Jenkins getting burnt deep in miami (can't remember if he was expecting help or not), the Dez Bryant TD where they got a free hold, etc.

You can run man coverage from a variety of different packages

and as others have eluded too - Brockers also started on the d-line, Ogletree at LB

When I rethink about Barron I remember that trade going down because I think Mccleod was injured and so was another safety. We were hurtin both starter and depth wise right before that trade went down
I know that's what you were talking about iced and I was agreeing with that being a good example for you. My point about man coverage is that it is the antithesis of team work within a unit. ;) As zone schemes are just one type of coverage I don't feel that the CB position fits into the same 'teamwork required' mold as the lines do. Of course the whole defense (and the offense) has to perform as a team to be successful but I'm talking degree here.

Brockers didn't start in his first three games and the LB position (Ogletree) isn't one that requires teamwork so rookie starters in that unit wouldn't invalidate my point.

Why they got Barron is irrelevant isn't it? It wasn't a case of a rookie starting over a less talented vet, it was a case of a vet starting over a less talented rookie. Although the less talented part could be argued. :LOL:

As I said earlier, it might just be a coincidence and other unknown (to me at least) factors could have been in play. But on the surface at least, it seems to fit the facts. But you know what they say about surfaces.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He's our most experienced bruiser and we want to run the ball, so putting him at guard on the strong side seems natural.
It would be if not for.....

Why do people keep saying LG I'm pretty sure Rams war to put Saffold next to GRob

Hey I am one of those people lockdnram21:D

OK I will let you in on why I would suggest such a thing contrary to popular thinking....

Here's a good question....Who on the Rams roster has shown the ability to swing from the right side to the left side @ OT in the NFL that's not already starting?:bueller:

Did the Rams draft any legitimate projected swing OT's who could line up & play OLT in the NFL?:doh:

Those two above questions with the below elements that went into this off the wall projection:
#1-Saffold started his entire college football on the left side. All of it as a OLT.
#2-Saffold has five NFL seasons under his growing experience belt...four out of the five he has been a starter on the left side.
#3-Boudreau's only signed veteran UFA thus far is just a pure right side ORG/ORT known as Garrett Reynolds PLUS Fisher gave Garrett Reynolds a very nice fat contact.... matter fact paid him starting $$$! wonder what that means?:whistle:
#4- Rams drafted four rookie OL'ers. All of these rookies have started & play the right side. Only one has any left side starting experience. 3 of the 4 are very solid right side OL'ers.

OK will you let me ask you these questions?
#1-Whom of the Rams OL has the most NFL seasons under his belt?
I'll help you out...Garrett Reynolds the right side guy.
#2- How old & how much experience does the Rams starting OLT have? How much experience did he have starting in college?
#3-How many OLG's do the Rams have that have starting NFL experience?
#4-Just how good of a plan would it be to start both our most experienced OL'ers Saffold @ ORG & Reynolds @ ORT & then insert a rookie or another OL'er who has never started an NFL game next to the still GREEN Robinson on the blind side of QB Nick Foles (who is coming off an injury 2014 season) :eek:?

Boudreau started Saffold @ OLG last season when Jake Long was having issues with his pass protection as a starting @ OLT. Greg Robinson finished only 8 games as the starting OLT I am not ready to proclaim that he is going to be a fair pass protector early this season either he has a long ways to go in this area. Saffold being beside him like last yr will greatly benefit GR this season. Saffold is our best interior OL'er @ pass protection by a far margin. Its also helps in a very smooth transition from OLG to OLT than a right side flip would be. If you started Saffold @ ORG who would you project or plan to start @ OLG with all the above questions?

Bottom Line:
The big issue is the Rams do not have a reserve OLT on the roster other than Rodger Saffold.

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
No they didn't Davin Joseph played RG all year because he was more comfortable as a RG, Saffold played LG after Long's injury. IMO if Reynolds plays Guard, he also has a history on the right side now it could go either way, but I have a feeling they want Saffold next to GROB and Reynolds would be a good match for Havenstein.

Again this changes if they add Justin Blalock who has always played LG so if the Rams sign him Saffold would then move back to RG, again JMHO.
And a dark horse here ... Cody Wichmann.... he was a LG at Fresno St. and LOTS of experience there. He and Havenstein would be playing the positions they manned all thru their college careers. But like you said in a prvious post .. .probably Reynolds til at least the bye.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And a dark horse here ... Cody Wichmann.... he was a LG at Fresno St. and LOTS of experience there. He and Havenstein would be playing the positions they manned all thru their college careers. But like you said in a prvious post .. .probably Reynolds til at least the bye.

I don't think this is right @ReddingRam unless he played both Guard positions because the film I watched of him and in the Game against USC, he played RG.

tbux

Rookie
Common denominators with draftees- all experienced multi years starters. I think that was a bigtime emphasis because they knew they may indeed have to start them.

iced

I know that's what you were talking about iced and I was agreeing with that being a good example for you. My point about man coverage is that it is the antithesis of team work within a unit. ;) As zone schemes are just one type of coverage I don't feel that the CB position fits into the same 'teamwork required' mold as the lines do. Of course the whole defense (and the offense) has to perform as a team to be successful but I'm talking degree here.

It's more than just "Man" - the safety needs to know who to help (say if we're playing Dez Bryant or AJ Green) or area of the field he's to cover.

Brockers didn't start in his first three games and the LB position (Ogletree) isn't one that requires teamwork so rookie starters in that unit wouldn't invalidate my point.

I disagree - the defense runs through Laurinitias. He makes calls, audibles, adjustments, etc. The defense as a whole requires teamwork.

Warren Sapp is an idiot but he is dead on when he's talking about the defense - the back end and up front have to work together as a unit.
Why they got Barron is irrelevant isn't it? It wasn't a case of a rookie starting over a less talented vet, it was a case of a vet starting over a less talented rookie. Although the less talented part could be argued. :LOL:

lol - i think the only reason Barron is even in horns was because of injuries. That was a bad week for us - Quick went down, Mcdonald was dealing with a concussion, Jake retore his acl, brandon mcgee had a foot injury, etc. There were a lot of injuries to the secondary, and at that point they didn't know who would be able to practice for the week.

As I said earlier, it might just be a coincidence and other unknown (to me at least) factors could have been in play. But on the surface at least, it seems to fit the facts. But you know what they say about surfaces.

I think its just as simple as to whether a player is ready or not. There was no hesitation in starting EJ Gaines - they could easily gone to a more "Experienced" corner on the depth chart - at least someone who had been here longer and in this scheme.

Fisher is loyal to his vets - and they're good to have also from a mentor perspective. But when it comes to stepping on that field I don't think experience is the deciding factor - it's just simply whether you're ready to play or not.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
...2015 will start a veteran OLine. Long,Saffold,Wells,Joseph,Barksdale started the season. It took a few games until our most talented man (Robinson) even saw significant action. The best rookie we've acquired in years (Aaron Donald) didn't start or was entirely trusted to begin the season. For this reason, I wouldn't be shocked to see Seattle face Robinson,Washington,Barnes,Saffold,Reynolds. I didn't say I agreed, just that i fear it's possible
I agree. For some reason Fisher refuses to play rookie and younger players over veterans even when it is blantenly obvious the rookies and younger players should be starting. Ex: Robinson, Donald, Stacy, Pead, Bailey, Westbrooks when Long was out. It's one more reason why the Rams don't win games.

UDFA
I'd like to see a solid veteran guard next to GRob for a bit & Saffold at RG where he belongs.

GRob, Vet, Barnes/Jones, Saffold, Hav.

I think Brown will see the field, for sure.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
All I can say your good very good! Great find here ....Person of the Purple Globe.
I'd like to see a solid veteran guard next to GRob for a bit & Saffold at RG where he belongs.
GRob, Vet, Barnes/Jones, Saffold, Hav.
I think Brown will see the field, for sure.

You bring up Jamon Brown here...Its possible that Brown who played OLT for his last two college seasons could be far enough along to permit this "Saffold must go right" thought process.

Brown has outstanding arm length @ 34 3/8 which can come in very handy as a OLG. JB had the best times of the 4 Ram drafted Ol'ers in the 3 cone drill & 20 yd shuttle. JB has better times than Robinson in those two events too. Brown can really move for a big man.

So a starting OL of the below is not out of the question. Those 5 avg. 6-5 320 pounds.
ORT- Reynolds/Havenstein/Donnal
ORG- Saffold/Wichmann
OC- Barnes/Rhaney
OLG- Brown/Washington
OLT- Robinson/B.Jones

Last edited:

jap

Legend
You bring up Jamon Brown here...Its possible that Brown who played OLT for his last two college seasons could be far enough along to permit this "Saffold must go right" thought process.

Brown has outstanding arm length @ 34 3/8 which can come in very handy as a OLG. JB had the best times of the 4 Ram drafted Ol'ers in the 3 cone drill & 20 yd shuttle. JB has better times than Robinson in those two events too. Brown can really move for a big man.

So a starting OL of the below is not out of the question. Those 5 avg. 6-5 320 pounds.
ORT- Reynolds/Havenstein/Donnal
ORG- Saffold/Wichmann
OC- Barnes/Rhaney
OLG- Brown/Washington
OLT- Robinson/B.Jones

Then we gotta root for JB to bring it this TC and pre-season. I kind of like the idea of the OL having a left (GRob) & right (Beetlejuice) anchor.

UDFA
I just don't expect 2 rookies to start right out of the gate with such an inexperienced cast. I could be dead wrong. I see them starting Hav from Go.

Brown? They moved him around a bunch in college.. I'm wondering how quickly he can develop if told " you're a left guard, period".

Justin15w

UDFA
Name
justin15w
Watching the Lions game and thankful we dropped him. Constantly outgunned and committing huge penalties.