GRob

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
...2015 will start a veteran OLine. Long,Saffold,Wells,Joseph,Barksdale started the season. It took a few games until our most talented man (Robinson) even saw significant action. The best rookie we've acquired in years (Aaron Donald) didn't start or was entirely trusted to begin the season. For this reason, I wouldn't be shocked to see Seattle face Robinson,Washington,Barnes,Saffold,Reynolds. I didn't say I agreed, just that i fear it's possible

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think Havenstein will start immediately. He's a smart player and they can always plug Kendricks or Harkey next to him to help with fierce edge rushers on passing downs.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
...2015 will start a veteran OLine. Long,Saffold,Wells,Joseph,Barksdale started the season. It took a few games until our most talented man (Robinson) even saw significant action. The best rookie we've acquired in years (Aaron Donald) didn't start or was entirely trusted to begin the season. For this reason, I wouldn't be shocked to see Seattle face Robinson,Washington,Barnes,Saffold,Reynolds. I didn't say I agreed, just that i fear it's possible
While you are most likely right, GRob's circumstance is/was different from the oline crop we drafted. For one GRob came from an entirely different system that didn't require him to pass pro much, where as the rookies come from traditional pro styles offenses and most were 4 year starters. Also GRob had to learn 2 positions in Schottenheimer's offense, I am going to assume that most of the rookies will learn 1 position in a refined offense. But again, you are probably right, Fisher does favor vets over rookies.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't know. Makes sense but really Washington hasn't played much either so he doesn't have much of an advantage over the other rookies. And Reynolds is a journeyman. So that usually means he's just good enough to be in the league but not good enough to keep a starting position. Again, doesn't give much advantage. Time will tell but the best 5 should start.

Still hoping we add Blalock.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Didn't T.J. McDonald start immediately?

Yep. Same with Ogletree. Same with Brockers. And JJenks. From what I've seen in Fisher's tenure here, it's all about who the player is, how ready they are and who is in front of them.

Donald, for instance, had Langford and Brockers in front of him, both above average guys.

I think Havenstein will start immediately. He's a smart player and they can always plug Kendricks or Harkey next to him to help with fierce edge rushers on passing downs.

I agree. Haverstein:
  • is more pro-ready coming out of college than GRob was, better technique and polish
  • has also always played RT so the learning curve should be lessened
  • has nobody in front of him, whereas GRob had both JLong and Saffold to pass on the depth chart to LT

PS - in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if Mason Brondine will get more looks this year as an inline TE. Converted DE, 6'7 270 lbs. Injured last year, but he has the makeup of the slobber-knocking TE that is otherwise missing in our TE corps. On passing downs, between Haverstein at 6'8 and Brodine at 6'7, that's a lot of stout ranginess for a speed rusher to run around. Brodine could also be an interesting release valve. If he's staying in for pass blocking and the LDE takes an inside rush, Brodine could release and probably not be covered by anyone. At 6'7, he's a big target and has the advantage of always being able to fall (dive?) forward for an extra yard or two.

iced

So did Brockers and Ogletree. He seems to trust D rookies. I think the only offense rookie to start right away might have been Tavon, but does it count in the slot?

I think it's purely dependent on their learning curve - and I mean mostly dealing with things like the playbook and scheme. If their head is swimming they won't be out there

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
PS - in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if Mason Brondine will get more looks this year as an inline TE. Converted DE, 6'7 270 lbs. Injured last year, but he has the makeup of the slobber-knocking TE that is otherwise missing in our TE corps. On passing downs, between Haverstein at 6'8 and Brodine at 6'7, that's a lot of stout ranginess for a speed rusher to run around. Brodine could also be an interesting release valve. If he's staying in for pass blocking and the LDE takes an inside rush, Brodine could release and probably not be covered by anyone. At 6'7, he's a big target and has the advantage of always being able to fall (dive?) forward for an extra yard or two.
I'll be cheering for Mason Brodine to make the team. I'm assuming that Wauffle and Boras both like the guy.

Stel

Starter
I'd pencil in a current starting line of:

Robinson
Saffold
Barnes (hardest position to judge because we have no idea what they really think of Jones/Rhaney)
Reynolds
Havenstein

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Robinson
Saffold
Barnes (hardest position to judge because we have no idea what they really think of Jones/Rhaney)
Reynolds
Havenstein

Good call on Reynolds after the bye then I would look for Brown, however, I'm going all in on Barrett Jones, it's now or never!
upload_2015-5-8_10-37-34.jpeg

Big Game

Living The Dream
I believe Havenstein and Brown have a legitimate chance to be day 1 starters. Like another poster mentioned GRob came from on offense that really featured the run and didn't do much pass protection at all.

They guys we drafted all played 3 plus years in pro like systems. If the O Line coach can get in there and get these guys going and coached up. They will be fine to start day one. True we may have to live with a couple mistakes here and there but a lot of teams have started 2 rookies on there O line.

Alan

Legend
leoram having nightmares:
I wouldn't be shocked to see Seattle face Robinson,Washington,Barnes,Saffold,Reynolds. I didn't say I agreed, just that i fear it's possible
Sounds like a Fisher move to me too. That's regardless of how well the rookies do in Preseason and TC.

iced

I think Havenstein would start at Tackle Day 1 - if there's a vet that starts anywhere I could see it being at LG, which imo would be Reynolds before Washington.

ya never know though - I wouldn't be surprised if the guys that came from similar schemes end up starting at the LG spot.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Didn't T.J. McDonald start immediately?
Yes. Along with Jenkins, Ogletree, and Brockers, which proves Fisher is adaptable, He doesn't fear starting Rookies, But I'll bet he prefers not to!

Still hoping we add Blalock.
BIG DITTOS!!

Time will tell but the best 5 should start.
This is as it should be, let the cards fall where they may!

I'll be cheering for Mason Brodine to make the team. I'm assuming that Wauffle and Boras both like the guy.
I've always liked Brodine, I hope he stays with the team too!
Isn't he the D-Lineman who jumped, up and over the opposing O-Line a couple of years ago!?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Havenstein would start at Tackle Day 1 - if there's a vet that starts anywhere I could see it being at LG, which imo would be Reynolds before Washington.

ya never know though - I wouldn't be surprised if the guys that came from similar schemes end up starting at the LG spot.

I concur that they might add a veteran like Justin Blalock for LG, however, if Reynolds starts, IMO, like @Stel posted it will be at RG. He has a history on the right side and I feel they will want Saffold next to GROB because of Saffold's experience on the left side (tackle). Blalock however, has always played LG so that would be a natural fit and then moving Saffold back to RG to aid the rookie Havenstein.

iced

I concur that they might add a veteran like Justin Blalock for LG, however, if Reynolds starts, IMO, like @Stel posted it will be at RG. He has a history on the right side and I feel they will want Saffold next to GROB because of Saffold's experience on the left side (tackle). Blalock however, has always played LG so that would be a natural fit and then moving Saffold back to RG to aid the rookie Havenstein.

didn't they keep saffold on the right side after Robinson kicked out to LT?

I think they want to keep Saffold on the right side

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Robinson
Saffold
Reynolds
Havenstein

I agree with @den-the-coach , thinking about Reynolds manning one of the Gs gives me a nice warm sense of security, esp for pass protection. We'll see if he can keep the spot all through training camp and/or past the bye week. But as a worst case, that's not bad.

The only change I'd make would be putting Saffold at the critically important RG spot (aka the 2nd most important OL position, usually singled up against a 4-3 b-gap 3-tech) where he can support Havenstein. Then we could put Reynolds at the relatively unimportant LG spot (usually gets to double team a 4-3 a-gap 1-tech) and he can be a veteran presence next to GRob.

Imho, the sooner we get Saffold back to RG, the better off we'll be. RG in a right handed run oriented offense is the tip of the spear, nothing works in the run game if that battle is lost.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I agree with @den-the-coach , thinking about Reynolds manning one of the Gs gives me a nice warm sense of security, esp for pass protection. We'll see if he can keep the spot all through training camp and/or past the bye week. But as a worst case, that's not bad.

The only change I'd make would be putting Saffold at the critically important RG spot (aka the 2nd most important OL position, usually singled up against a 4-3 b-gap 3-tech) where he can support Havenstein. Then we could put Reynolds at the relatively unimportant LG spot (usually gets to double team a 4-3 a-gap 1-tech) and he can be a veteran presence next to GRob.

Imho, the sooner we get Saffold back to RG, the better off we'll be. RG in a right handed run oriented offense is the tip of the spear, nothing works in the run game if that battle is lost.

I slightly prefer Saffold at RG, too, junkman.

Previously, I had assumed that one, maybe two FA's would be signed to help transition our rookie O linemen. Fisher is known for his reluctance to start rookies on O.

But now, I'm not so sure. I think they like Reynolds enough to start the season with him until Brown is up to speed.

The more I learn of Havenstein, the more I believe he just might be our starter vs Seattle on opening day. A trial by fire opportunity rarely extended by Fisher to rookie O players.

Btw, am I the only one that's puzzled by the fact that Fisher seems perfectly happy to start rookies on D, but almost always insists on O rookies waiting at least 4 games before starting? Bailey had to wait 8 games.