GRob

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I fully expect to see 2 rookies starting along the O Line against Seattle in week 1 - and I would be really surprised to see the Rams bring in a veteran lineman for anything more than camp competition at this point. I don't expect Barksdale or Blalock or anyone of gt'd money caliber. We just don't have the roster space.

And - this may sound ridiculous but its the Rams way - I'm OK with a slow start to the 2015 season on offense. I know the rebuild has taken a bit longer than we would have wanted - but Gurley won't be 100% this fall, the line will need time to come together, Foles will still be in his first season in this offense, Quick will be just getting back - we need to expect some growing pains all around.

We just need to hope our D can win us some games in the first half of the season and hope the offense comes around by the end for a run this year. Otherwise, I'm looking at 2016 as the year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
didn't they keep saffold on the right side after Robinson kicked out to LT?

I think they want to keep Saffold on the right side

No they didn't Davin Joseph played RG all year because he was more comfortable as a RG, Saffold played LG after Long's injury. IMO if Reynolds plays Guard, he also has a history on the right side now it could go either way, but I have a feeling they want Saffold next to GROB and Reynolds would be a good match for Havenstein.

Again this changes if they add Justin Blalock who has always played LG so if the Rams sign him Saffold would then move back to RG, again JMHO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I believe Jones and Rhaney will be given long looks at C and OG. It's possible both of them start on the interior. Last year Jones got plenty of looks at OG but Rhaney wasn't available to practice so the same probably would have happened with him. My hope is Jones wins the job at C because of his intelligence, I want someone smart making the line calls, and he is the guy to do it.

LT is GRob. RT is gonna be Havenstein. RG is where I see Saffold plays because that's where he fits best. That really leaves LG as the big position that is up for grabs.

Look at the depth of options there... Either of Jones or Rhaney, any of three enormous rookies, Reynolds, etc. Honestly, I am not even remotely concerned. Coach Bou is finally going to have an OL group that has a deep depth chart of options for him to groom and I expect it to show.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.... Washington hasn't played much either so he doesn't have much of an advantage over the other rookies........
I would like to say here that Brandon Washington does have some advantages going for him. For one... he just may be one of the strongest Ram OL'ers. Back when he was still 21 yr old in the combine he performed 28 lifts on 225. Where as other interior OL'ers like Saffold did 27 & Tim Barnes did 26 reps. BW had many positives coming out in 2012 draft. The biggest negatives on the OLT 6-3 320 pound Washington were :
#1-Carries a lot of weight in his upper body
#2-Technique will need a lot of work
#3- Needs to go to a team willing to let him develop slowly into a starter
#4-Plus he was projected to move inside due to height & arm length being in OG size.

OK that was @ the beginning of 2012. Now here we are past 3 NFL yrs later.... BW has experienced 2012, 2013 & 2014 NFL training camps along with the pre seasons that go with them. BW has been signed to the Rams practice squads for the 2012 & 2013 seasons until late 2013 when he was signed to the active 53 Ram master roster. BW remained on the master active roster last season.

BW has been used in pre season @ both OG posts & both OT posts. BW pre season performances have not been all that good on the right side & he seems to play much better on the left. In fact Boudreau inserted BW very early in the 1st quarter of the last regular season with Seattle @ OLG for Chris Williams.

In conclusion it would appear that what BW needed when he entered the draft has been provided by Boudreau & the Rams. Its just a guess but I am thinking when we see him line up @ OLG we will be surprised from BW past on field performances. So IMO he has the above advantages over the four new 2015 rookie Ol'ers. I would hate to tell Paul Boudreau & HC Fisher to their face that one of his 3 yr Ram players that has been in their Ram system means nothing & is equal to nothing....because thats what the other 4 have....nothing.

PS - in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if Mason Brondine will get more looks this year as an inline TE. Converted DE, 6'7 270 lbs. Injured last year, but he has the makeup of the slobber-knocking TE that is otherwise missing in our TE corps. On passing downs, between Haverstein at 6'8 and Brodine at 6'7, that's a lot of stout ranginess for a speed rusher to run around. Brodine could also be an interesting release valve. If he's staying in for pass blocking and the LDE takes an inside rush, Brodine could release and probably not be covered by anyone. At 6'7, he's a big target and has the advantage of always being able to fall (dive?) forward for an extra yard or two.

Very excellent ideal & observation there for a junkman:). Yes he is an interesting Ram player to watch this training camp. From all that I could read... Snead & Fisher really like Brodine as you said. A converted tight end from DE, Brodine suffered a fractured ankle during 2014 preseason opener against the Saints. it should be noted that this injury happened when he was the starting DT not playing offensive TE. The Rams were thin on the DL early in the pre season due to nagging injuries.

Brodine is going into his 5th NFL season. He was a UDFA in 2011 as a Raider & was active & played in several Raiders regular season games. In 2012 & 2013 he was signed to the Rams PS as a DE. In 2014 he suffered an early ending 2014 season placed on the IR. He has ran the 40 yd dash around 4.74. Brodine has gotten bigger & stronger & was up to over 285 pounds as a 6-7 TE when he got hurt. If you are over 6-7 & 285 plus pounds blocking TE when Fisher is running a Gurley you may be seen often in this refurbished offense.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
LazyWinker pointing out an inconvenient fact:
Didn't T.J. McDonald start immediately?
iced joining the conga line:
And Jenkins
It's when they're playing a position that is more of a group effort such as the O-line and the D-line that he seems to prefer experience over talent.

Or we could just be seeing coincidences. :cautious: :unsure:

I believe that Brockers didn't start the first 3 games his first season @junkman . High ankle sprain in preseason?

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
flv with this:
Saffold projects as the starting LG unless we sign another veteran. Blalock is a career LG.
I'm not sure where Saffold 'projects' but where he should project is at RG because that's his best position and the position he himself says is his favorite. So that works out really well with Blalock being a career LG. :banana:

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe Jones and Rhaney will be given long looks at C and OG. It's possible both of them start on the interior. Last year Jones got plenty of looks at OG but Rhaney wasn't available to practice so the same probably would have happened with him. My hope is Jones wins the job at C because of his intelligence, I want someone smart making the line calls, and he is the guy to do it.

LT is GRob. RT is gonna be Havenstein. RG is where I see Saffold plays because that's where he fits best. That really leaves LG as the big position that is up for grabs.

Look at the depth of options there... Either of Jones or Rhaney, any of three enormous rookies, Reynolds, etc. Honestly, I am not even remotely concerned. Coach Bou is finally going to have an OL group that has a deep depth chart of options for him to groom and I expect it to show.

The three centers tale of the tape
Arm length:
Jones has the longer arms of the @ 34 1/8".
40 yd dash:Rhaney 4.90, Barnes 5.17,Jones 5.18
20 yd dash:Rhaney 2.91
10 yd dash: Rhaney 1.75
Hand size:Jones has the larger hands 10 1/4
Size: Jones just under 6-5 308lbs.
Bench: Barnes did 26 reps with Rhaney doing 24 reps
20 yd shuttle: Barnes has the best time 4.42 sec.
Broad Jump: Barnes 103 inches
Vert jump: Barnes had the best @ 31 1/2 inches

Looks like they are all close here with Barnes name placed 4 times & Jones & Rhaney 3 each. Barnes has so much more experience with Boudreau & has been seen often in pre season & TC at both OG posts. Not sure a 6-2 barely 300 pound Rhaney will be seen outside the center post in the Boudreau power scheme but @ center he could be a super slick willy. Jones has the lucky looks of a super 6th game day suit upper. Jones smarts & His versatility can be plugged in anywhere.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Good stuff!(y)

When you put the fact that Boudreau played the 6-7 thin 305 pound Garrett @ Right OT not inside....says something to me. Garrett had many issues playing ORG in the running game where he was molested underneath on a regular basis. The OT post just fits Garrett's skills & natural body type but he does have ORG Harvey Dahl's 6-6-306 look & size to him IMO. me thinks that Reynolds & Havenstein will be locked in a battle as starting ORT. The simplified working ORG post will be turned over to the inexperienced green rookies in Brown- Donnal- Wichmann & Bond to fight it out.

I think they leave Saffold @ OLG next to Robinson like last year. That way if GR goes down Saffold is much better prepared to step a few feet to his left & take up the OLT post otherwise Boudreau has no legit back up to GR.

Big Willie

Starter
In with the good, out with the bad thoughts.... The OL will be fine. It won't be the best in NFL history (like the one in big D that features La'el), and GRob, Haverstein, Barnes/Jones, Brown (my prediction for the otherGuard spot) will have growing pains; but they will be better than the line we had in 2014. With two feature RBs, more innovative play-calling, and a QB in a contract year....the offense will be better than last year. I am not predicting an offensive juggernaut....just a better one.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with a thought:
I think they leave Saffold @ OLG next to Robinson like last year. That way if GR goes down Saffold is much better prepared to step a few feet to his left & take up the OLT post otherwise Boudreau has no legit back up to GR.
Good point Bonifay. Although it slightly weakens our line IMO.

Ram65

Legend
I just had fun reading the thread. Seems like all the possibilities have been covered. I like having 'The Young and Hungry" offensive lineman fighting for starting and backup spots for the Rams. Feels like just over a week ago many were worried about the Rams offensive line.:)

iced

It's when they're playing a position that is more of a group effort such as the O-line and the D-line that he seems to prefer experience over talent.

Or we could just be seeing coincidences. :cautious: :unsure:

I believe that Brockers didn't start the first 3 games his first season @junkman . High ankle sprain in preseason?

I think the Secondaries Lapses in coverage is a great example of playing as a group effort, and why some rookies were getting the nod ahead of others or they sought it elsewhere (Barron)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Btw, am I the only one that's puzzled by the fact that Fisher seems perfectly happy to start rookies on D, but almost always insists on O rookies waiting at least 4 games before starting? Bailey had to wait 8 games.

But was that due to Fisher or due to Schottenhiemer and his HUGE playbook?

Alan

Legend
iced with this:
I think the Secondaries Lapses in coverage is a great example of playing as a group effort, and why some rookies were getting the nod ahead of others or they sought it elsewhere (Barron)
The missed coverages when not playing man would be an excellent example of something that requires a cohesive bit of teamwork. That's only one of their coverage packages though isn't it?

Wouldn't acquiring a vet like Barron to replace a rookie support my contention?

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram with this:
But was that due to Fisher or due to Schottenhiemer and his HUGE playbook?
That's a good point Memphis. Wouldn't that same logic hold true for Williams complicated defense? Isn't that the supposed reason why our D started so slowly?

iced

The missed coverages when not playing man would be an excellent example of something that requires a cohesive bit of teamwork. That's only one of their coverage packages though isn't it?

Exactly - that's what i'm talking about. The zone Coverages where either Jenkins or the other safety blew the assignment - off the top of my head I remember Jenkins getting burnt deep in miami (can't remember if he was expecting help or not), the Dez Bryant TD where they got a free hold, etc.

You can run man coverage from a variety of different packages

and as others have eluded too - Brockers also started on the d-line, Ogletree at LB
Wouldn't acquiring a vet like Barron to replace a rookie support my contention?
When I rethink about Barron I remember that trade going down because I think Mccleod was injured and so was another safety. We were hurtin both starter and depth wise right before that trade went down

lockdnram21

Legend
I think Havenstein would start at Tackle Day 1 - if there's a vet that starts anywhere I could see it being at LG, which imo would be Reynolds before Washington.

ya never know though - I wouldn't be surprised if the guys that came from similar schemes end up starting at the LG spot.
Why do people keep saying LG I'm pretty sure Rams war to put Saffold next to GRob

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Why do people keep saying LG I'm pretty sure Rams war to put Saffold next to GRob

My assumption is that Saffold's ideal spot is RG. He played some of his best ball there, and when you have a rookie RT having Roger next to him to keep him settled down is preferable. It's possible Reynolds starts at RT but I doubt it. He's a backup and a good one but Havenstein is going to give the Rams the power run blocking they need to that side. They might need to slide him some help at times with certain teams/matchups but he'll give them more advantages at RT than the other options.

Also at OG there are plenty of examples of immediate starters. So it is very possible one of those rookies wins the job. I really think there is a good chance we'll see rookies at LG and RT, and I am fine with it. Favorites among the rookies are obviously Brown and Wichmann. Wichmann impressing would not surprise me in the least, btw. That other OG position, regardless of whether it's RG or LG, is going to be the most fun battle to follow in camp.