Greg Robinson not even second string

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Jake Matthews has NOT "been garbage".

Jake Matthew has played through injuries at a above-average level.

He has not looked as good as advertised but compared to vvvvvvvRobinson??vvvvvvvvv

Matthews looks like Jonathan Ogden.
I always laugh when guys throw Jake Matthews out there...like he's WAY better than G-Rob....he's not....His scheme is better...he's a professional holder....the kind that doesn't get called or caught....kudos to him...However, Taylor Lewan looks like the best tackle outta that class...hell, I like Armstead better too...and if they ever move Lane Johnson to LT....those would be my top 3 LT's...from the 2013 class.

Matthews had a terrible super bowl...despite the holding all game...hell all season. But he's a decent player....Greg looks confused...not overpowered...not out classed...just confused on play to play on what the hell his assignment is.

All these, play thru injuries guys...football is a game, that if you play it long enough, you'll be hurt after every GAME...either you're hurt, and in that case you play...or you're injured, then sit your ass on the bench...no complaining after..."I was hurt"....Look what happened to Barnes....Ask Havenstein if HE was hurt last year....see what he says...he won't blame last year on, "I was hurt ....all year..."

Average to below average...I'm sticking to this...If we had some guys that got rid of the ball faster....wr's get open faster...ya know, team stuff, we wouldn't be giving up sacks either.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm totally with you on this, however if his attitude isn't great, then he's done.
I'm with you here. Just a guess, but my guess is this is part of his problem. Learning a new system can't help either, as well as a new position, when we've heard snippets of his learning curve over the past. Those things are things that are hard to see on film, and know when you draft a guy. GR was a potential slam dunk coming out, besides playing in a very simple offense, he appeared to have it all.

@LACHAMP46 is right IMO on the OT's, and nobody that I can remember on this site had us picking Lewan. We may have missed, but 30 other teams would have missed also, just bad luck, I think.

I still hold out hope he can turn things around, because he could be a beast.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Even if Robinson somehow does workout, I still don't like the pick. I'll never understand why they didn't take Jake Matthews.

Paul Boudreau.

I didn't save any of the pre or post draft articles back then, but the ones I read made it clear that Boudreau was by far GRob's biggest advocate. Said he could be better than Willie Roaf.

Which is a stunning indictment of somebody.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I just find it astounding the rams chose another project left tackle at #2 so soon after they busted with Smith. Was that in 2009? You'd think they would have learnt their lesson with that bust, don't use the #2 on a project.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I just find it astounding the rams chose another project left tackle at #2 so soon after they busted with Smith. Was that in 2009? You'd think they would have learnt their lesson with that bust, don't use the #2 on a project.

Different GM's, HC's, and I think new Majority Owner? Same lesson for different regimes, unfortunately

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Considering he's changing positions the coaches would want him to get as many snaps as feasible so they can watch the video to better coach him in training camp.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I get the feeling that G-Rob is going to be traded for another team's underachiever. I don't think he's going to work out here, and it's a shame.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
Th
No explanation necessary, they are looking at everyone and that day it might have been how it broke out. There was already reports of Brown working with the first team, I would be interested of who the other player was working with the 2nd unit. Anyway today might be different story, but maybe they are trying to send Robinson a message.
The real issue is his price tag. Is he worth the price of a #2 pick? Is he a superstar, average or below average player? Even if he is a "little" better than the 2cd string guy, his "cost" and value proposition may be that he is not worth keeping fit the extra money. Possibly better to concentrate on getting the next in line better for a fraction of the cost. I think "that" is going through their head right now.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I thought Lewan was the best tackle in that class as well but he got himself in trouble.
Jake Matthews was a solid pick who had his fifth year option picked up.

Robinson has been a penalty machine and looks like he's been lost for four years.

He did not get his option picked up.

Matthews also has his entire career ahead of himself.

Matthews was a much better pick than Robinson.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Th

The real issue is his price tag. Is he worth the price of a #2 pick? Is he a superstar, average or below average player? Even if he is a "little" better than the 2cd string guy, his "cost" and value proposition may be that he is not worth keeping fit the extra money. Possibly better to concentrate on getting the next in line better for a fraction of the cost. I think "that" is going through their head right now.

I don't believe that.
McVay was talking about Robinson competing for first string. It just lights a bigger fire under his belt. He either sacks up , or he won't be a starter.
Jamon Brown has worked hard on off season & is hungry.
--I know a lot of Ram fans were upset with the Everett pick.There was a reason why they did go Offensive Line with there 2nd rd pick. In fact the position that has really stood out in OTA's has been the TE position.

tbux

Rookie
MANY on here are playing hindsight- lets be honest for a moment!! a few points. I wanted Watkins BADLY but I understood if we went OT. Now if we were going OT- most would agree it was GR or Matthews. Those playing hindsight can say Martin etc- but that wasn't reality at the time.

I thought we would take Matthews because of the relationship with his father- and it being essentially a 50-50 call. But nobody can argue GR had the most upside, and the MUCH better run blocker coming out- and we were a team wanting to run the football. You can look back now and say how bad that pick was- but at the time of the pick- EVERY major expert would have said he was one of 2 if going the OT route. You cant predict how someone will dedicate themselves once they are on their own and in the NFL- if you could- drafting would be easy- it isn't. EVERY GM misses. even BB. As I said I wanted Watkins in the worst way- but understood the pick- and supported it when it was made. So I guess I am the only one. LOL If he is cut, I will be shocked- kid has so much natural talent, it would be a shame- but you cant teach heart, work ethic and drive. I hope he changes and becomes the player he can be- time will tell, but doesn't look good.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
MANY on here are playing hindsight- lets be honest for a moment!! a few points. I wanted Watkins BADLY but I understood if we went OT. Now if we were going OT- most would agree it was GR or Matthews. Those playing hindsight can say Martin etc- but that wasn't reality at the time.

I thought we would take Matthews because of the relationship with his father- and it being essentially a 50-50 call. But nobody can argue GR had the most upside, and the MUCH better run blocker coming out- and we were a team wanting to run the football. You can look back now and say how bad that pick was- but at the time of the pick- EVERY major expert would have said he was one of 2 if going the OT route. You cant predict how someone will dedicate themselves once they are on their own and in the NFL- if you could- drafting would be easy- it isn't. EVERY GM misses. even BB. As I said I wanted Watkins in the worst way- but understood the pick- and supported it when it was made. So I guess I am the only one. LOL If he is cut, I will be shocked- kid has so much natural talent, it would be a shame- but you cant teach heart, work ethic and drive. I hope he changes and becomes the player he can be- time will tell, but doesn't look good.

Finally some sense.

This whole thread is just a reason to bash the player from the comfort of the keyboard.

tbux

Rookie
Ill say one more thing- I doubt there are many on here, if ANY who watch college games and concentrate on Olinemen.. So essentially most are going by what others say for the most part unless that player plays for a team they see a lot- again though, that is VERY rare. So when someone tells me they liked this or that linemen from college, I am skeptical of their opinion, because as a football fan, I NEVER watch an olineman specifically and don't know anyone who does. The best I have done is tape Rams games, and watched players that way- but not in college. If you did watch Auburn games, you had to be impressed with his strength and run blocking= all the experts were too. so Stop with the " I knew he would suck and I wanted Lewan etc" because frankly I call BS.

tbux

Rookie
Finally some sense.

This whole thread is just a reason to bash the player from the comfort of the keyboard.

agreed brother- I don't recall many saying he would be a bust at the time. Sure there were those that preferred Matthews- but I don't recall many saying he would be as bad as he has. Nobody can predict that. EVERY draft is littered with top ten busts- because you never know who want to be great, and who just is happy they made it that far. NOBODY. the inexact science of drafting. I challenge ANYONE on here to tell me their favorite expert, and I will be glad to pull up their top 30 each year, and lets see how many they got wrong- you may be amazed.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Finally some sense.

I'm not quite sure what this statement means...I think guys are bashing him because he's had a long leash and has apparently not improved much, if at all...Think what you like about who plays with which unit in OTAs and mini-camps, but the fact that he's not seeing any action with the possible starters is not a good thing...

tbux

Rookie
I'm not quite sure what this statement means...I think guys are bashing him because he's had a long leash and has apparently not improved much, if at all...Think what you like about who plays with which unit in OTAs and mini-camps, but the fact that he's not seeing any action with the possible starters is not a good thing...

I think he agrees with me about everyone who is now saying it was a bad pick, when at the time, it was hard to argue with being we were a run first team- and he was the best run blocker by far coming out. SUre he was raw in pass pro- but he also had more upside. You have to think they were blown away at visits because Matthews had to have upper hand with his dad playing with Fisher- still he was the choice by EVERYONE on the staff. It turned out bad - but at the time, I would argue most GMs with run first teams wanting a OT would have leaned towards GR. Those saying how absurd the pick was, simply playing hindsight IMO.

tbux

Rookie
I would love to talk to our former coaches about him. I would LOVE to know what the issue really is. I have seen him look stellar, athletic, powerful, and I have seen him make really bad mistakes that in my view looking at tape back, looks mental. He is slow off the ball- which looks to me like snap count issues, and not wanting to go off sides. I rarely saw him get off the ball correctly and then get beat badly. Most if not all the times I watched games back, I saw him making mental errors. Now that is part of the game and maybe he doesn't have it upstairs??? but I still think it is possible to help this guy- if the right guy can change his mentality. I also could be dead wrong.