Greg Robinson not even second string

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well for one thing, Jake Matthews was pretty terrible in his first season or so,
Still garbage....well still an average to below average player....IMO

I see Jake Matthews
Taylor Lewan....best OT in that draft....although I can't see why we didn't go after T Armstead...dude at NO....that RT at Philly...damn I loved his 40 time...he was an ex-TE...oh yea, Lane Johnson...even that dude at....think it's Buffalo...a tackle....oh yea, Cordy Glenn....Seems like Snead/Fish keep outsmarting themselves....over thinking the obvious...but I'd still like to see what Greg does with Kromer...hopefully he isn't ruined.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Just my personal opinion and no offense to OP or anyone else-But I think way too much is over analyzed during OTA's.
How many times in the past did we hear how great the offense looked only to suck in the regular season. Guys are in shorts. Wait until camp where they are in pads and can really hit. Robinson has been underwhelming, no doubt. But he's still very gifted athletically and I think Kromer can improve him. But it's not going to happen overnight. I think we need to get to camp and let everything work itself out. Then we will know if Greg is improving or it's time to move on.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Glad this regime drafts based on polish and talent floor in the early rounds. Potential should be drafted in the later rounds. There's just an impression where I've soured on the idea of selecting players based on the athleticism and doesn't help that Fisher is the worst at developing talent on offense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Maybe he isn't taking classroom to the grass. Not picking up the right defender. From every thing reported on grob from the beginning, not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
You know what I learned most about school....the one's that put in the most effort usually get the most returns. I don't think Greg is stupid...in fact, he's a 22 wonderlic...whatever that means...if he's not picking up the new concepts, he doesn't WANT to...
I still see this as a motivational tool....you've struggled in the classroom probably because he isn't paying attention. Those pop quizes making him look silly and unprepared...and you have a Donnal and Brown....hungry...following every word Kromer says to perfection....this all looks good until they have pads on, and some DT/DE runs them over and smashes a QB...to me, that's worse than a missed assignment...it's totally opposite of a hold. Just because a guy "gets it" mentally, doesn't make him a better player. Again....the reason Pat Haden is rare, is because he played football AND was a Rhodes Scholar....and trust me, I liked Pat....but there are a bunch of guys in here that couldn't stand the way this genius played the game.
It was to trade back with Buffalo. Such a bad mistake. They could have had an extra 1st rd pick & drafted the O"lineman from ND(Dallas) or the guy from Michigan that Tiatans drafted.
Lewan....and some guys in here and TST, kept talking about how he was a degenerate....some scourge on the earth...the devil himself...and guess what, Taylor is a nice guy..that said a stupid thing. We had Jake on the team at the time too....we could have asked him to check him out....and YES...I liked his combine and his tape better than G-Rob....he played in a more pro-style offense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah - I think putting him behind players that show up deserve to be given the first chance.
Hope it was a message Greg Robinson can embrace & take on the challenge.

How would cutting him have on salary cap & wasted dollars $$$
His salary this year is guaranteed so all cutting him does is free to p a roster spot.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You know what I learned most about school....the one's that put in the most effort usually get the most returns. I don't think Greg is stupid...in fact, he's a 22 wonderlic...whatever that means...if he's not picking up the new concepts, he doesn't WANT to...
I still see this as a motivational tool....you've struggled in the classroom probably because he isn't paying attention. Those pop quizes making him look silly and unprepared...and you have a Donnal and Brown....hungry...following every word Kromer says to perfection....this all looks good until they have pads on, and some DT/DE runs them over and smashes a QB...to me, that's worse than a missed assignment...it's totally opposite of a hold. Just because a guy "gets it" mentally, doesn't make him a better player. Again....the reason Pat Haden is rare, is because he played football AND was a Rhodes Scholar....and trust me, I liked Pat....but there are a bunch of guys in here that couldn't stand the way this genius played the game.
Lewan....and some guys in here and TST, kept talking about how he was a degenerate....some scourge on the earth...the devil himself...and guess what, Taylor is a nice guy..that said a stupid thing. We had Jake on the team at the time too....we could have asked him to check him out....and YES...I liked his combine and his tape better than G-Rob....he played in a more pro-style offense.
Your right about motivation, maybe if it's not easy he doesn't want it. Of course that still puts him in the stupider than dirt category.

Tano

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But if the point is that zone technique and concepts were just too difficult for Grob to pick up versus just trying to scheme it where he just plasters the guy in front of him without having to think, then point well taken.

tumblr_m52z6uSlLr1r8ebng.gif

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Greg Robinson has been a disappointment but he would be more impressive with pads on. His main benefit is his overwhelming physical prowess but I think the issue he has is the elevator doesn't go all the way up (watch the dudes interviews, yikes). So in shorts, his weaknesses are emphasized while his strengths are hidden.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Well for one thing, Jake Matthews was pretty terrible in his first season or so, and clearly played on a team with better offensive coaches. Who's to say their careers wouldn't be swapped if they each played for the respective team?

I could totally see how Matthews would have came to the Rams, gotten poor coaching and played poorly and then the rath of nepotism would have been played out
I don't think coaching has as much to do with it. If you can play football, it should show on the field. Robinson hasn't proved he can play. Also, Jake Matthews played well last year. That entire Oline did. He couldn't have been that bad since Matt Ryan was not sacked very often.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't pretend to be a cap guru and I would appreciate input on this GRob subject from anyone who is.

But it's my understanding that if he's now cut that the entire cap hit of $6 million+ comes due immediately.

If that's true, it seems hard to think that he's cuttable this year. We're virtually up against the cap as it is and a reserve for injury signings must also be maintained.

OTOH, if he's just gonna be stealing a roster spot from a better player that has an NFL future, maybe a difficult and costly cut might make the most long term sense. I dunno. I do suspect that there are some OL that Kromer really likes for the future.

I am beginning to think that biting the bullet with GRob, once unthinkable, might now be a legit question. Certainly not an off the table concept anymore, at least not with me.

We'll see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
curious, where did you hear that?

I like Kromer, please explain how a LINEMAN can lose or gain a position without the benefit of having pads on?

By making mental mistakes. Only change wearing pads have on that is the QB gets killed.

Most of us have sort of looked at it like GRob would be a depth guy this season due to his contract. But if he's not running with the twos that changes things. It means he might be cut and an early one at that, and maybe even to send a message to the team.

It amazes me that it took a new regime to do what should have been done last year if not sooner. He should have been demoted to third string permanently and forced to compete his way back up the roster to get playing time. But Fish had to baby him and continue to feed his sense of entitlement. Them days are over, thank F.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't pretend to be a cap guru and I would appreciate input on this GRob subject from anyone who is.

But it's my understanding that if he's now cut that the entire cap hit of $6 million+ comes due immediately.

If that's true, it seems hard to think that he's cuttable this year. We're virtually up against the cap as it is and a reserve for injury signings must also be maintained.

OTOH, if he's just gonna be stealing a roster spot from a better player that has an NFL future, maybe a difficult and costly cut might make the most long term sense. I dunno. I do suspect that there are some OL that Kromer really likes for the future.

I am beginning to think that biting the bullet with GRob, once unthinkable, might now be a legit question. Certainly not an off the table concept anymore, at least not with me.

We'll see.
You are correct on the cap hit, it's 100% guaranteed.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Seems like Snead/Fish keep outsmarting themselves....over thinking the obvious.
The “Smartest Person in the Room Syndrome” The smartest person in the room tends to dominate meetings. They don’t let others add a word to their one-sided conversations. They have a consistent need to let others know how intelligent they are."Overly arrogant" Arrogant people have an extremely strong need to look good. When you make them look bad - even if it is the slightest offense - they will usually be very mad i.e. "Spat between Jeff Fisher-Eric Dickerson" PR nightmare.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...XM_cqZpylAyjsAe7g&sig2=29XWs9BSdd3DyCG6Hm87tA

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very disappointed in G-Rob. If he is so athletic, he should be able to get better. And if he is that "mentally-challenged"... why did we pick him in the first place. Everyone here knows O-lineman have to be smart.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Strength and athleticism mean nothing when you you're too stupid to know wtf you're doing.

And I think his problems go deeper, too. I suspect he's an excuse maker, type of personality who won't take personal accountability. And I also suspect he's a suspicious/difficult type who doesn't take to coaching. Those things will come out if and when he's cut loose, so I fully expect that stuff to become known at some point.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Switch him to DT. Supposedly the lowest intelligence required position.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm really not sure its an intelligence deficiency. Playing tackle is hard. Its not simply that he doesn't know or can't remember the assignments - its muscle memory and instincts that are missing - those things take time to develop.

Still, he may have lost so much confidence at this point that he is Jason Smith bound. He may be so worried about failing that he can't succeed.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Free Greg Robinson
I still think Greg Robinson is exactly what he was when we drafted him. New regime comes in, switches him to RT. That's not exactly gonna help anyone's confidence to have to start all over. I mean what is wrong with GRob as a back up LT ?

God Bless Andrew Whitworth cause,

The Rams are where Left Tackles go to die