Greg Robinson not even second string

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm really not sure its an intelligence deficiency. Playing tackle is hard. Its not simply that he doesn't know or can't remember the assignments - its muscle memory and instincts that are missing - those things take time to develop.

He has played in 46 games to include 42 starts, over three seasons. He has had plenty of time, snaps, and coaching. And I am relieved to see that this regime is not interested in making excuses for him.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Just think, we could have had any one of the following instead of Robinson:

Khalil Mack (can you imagine him and AD on the same defense...)
OBJ
Mike Evans
Derek Carr (instant franchise QB, but this pick has a lot of hindsight involved)
Zack Martin
Jake Matthews
C.J. Mosley (would've been NASTY next to Ogletree)
No question about it, I definitely was hoping for Mack, Mosley and Matthews. Mostly I was hoping for Khalil Mack.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see him succeed, just like I'm still hoping that Austin magically becomes worth every penny he's paid and more. Heck, I held off hope for Quick until the bitter end. I know that last year was just a rookie season for Goff and expect him to turn around. I know that Gurley will turn it around.

I want Robinson to turn it around, and maybe I'm just a jaded fan, but the way it looks right now is an epic waste of a pick.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He has played in 46 games to include 42 starts, over three seasons. He has had plenty of time, snaps, and coaching. And I am relieved to see that this regime is not interested in making excuses for him.

Or any other player. They a free thinkers , unlike the Fisher regime.

I really like Connor Barwin signing , with Joyner playing FS !!
Then trusting Barron who most Ram fans were wanting to trade. Wade really likes his cover skills.
--Cody Davis is getting some good looks as well. He is starting right now as Mo is out.
-- Look out for Casanova !! He is a true sleeper that no Ram fans are talking about except yours truly. Lol

Ram65

Legend
Lot's of different opinions on the Robinson failure.

I would say he tried. Worked out with Bentley in the off season last year. Hasn't been in any trouble that I recall. He doesn't have the quick feet to pass block effectively. He seemed confused on assignments far too often. He has made some silly mistakes. Is it lack of brain power or does he not have the the ability to move quickly enough. The Rams could be motivating him one last time to see if he can respond. If he doesn't then time to cut him.

I thought Robinson could be a good pick at worse move to guard when he was drafted. Lane Johnson looked good with his quick feet. He has been good at RT after rough first year but, did get suspended last year.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You also have to factor in that Jeff Fisher's son Trent played on that Auburn team as well, so I am sure that played a part in the Robinson selection as well. I guarantee with this regime the pick would have been Jake Matthews.
And let's not forget National-Championship Hysteria.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Strength and athleticism mean nothing when you you're too stupid to know wtf you're doing.

And I think his problems go deeper, too. I suspect he's an excuse maker, type of personality who won't take personal accountability. And I also suspect he's a suspicious/difficult type who doesn't take to coaching. Those things will come out if and when he's cut loose, so I fully expect that stuff to become known at some point.

I think you made a good catch there regarding "doesn't take to coaching", Merlin.

I specifically recall McVay recently being quoted as saying that Brown was very coachable. Was that a backhanded dig at GRob? Or maybe meant as a very non subtle motivator to get GRob's attention?

I'll say this. If GRob fails under Kromer's teaching, then he's destined to be a backup for the rest of his career, at best. Can't say it any plainer than that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Free Greg Robinson
I still think Greg Robinson is exactly what he was when we drafted him. New regime comes in, switches him to RT.

I disagree, granted this is football, but how many of us have dealt with changes in Corporate America and had to adapt, improvise and overcome? Even when you get to a certain level, somebody is always testing you, IMHO, it's not like GROB was doing that well and the Rams did sign someone far superior to him, so they gave him a chance to still be on the first team and so far, he's failed to seize the day!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I fear G-Rob's career is starting to look like...

imagesubmarine2sinking.gif

I really hope he can turn it around.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Jake Matthews has NOT "been garbage".

Jake Matthew has played through injuries at a above-average level.

He has not looked as good as advertised but compared to vvvvvvvRobinson??vvvvvvvvv

Matthews looks like Jonathan Ogden.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I disagree, granted this is football, but how many of us have dealt with changes in Corporate America and had to adapt, improvise and overcome? Even when you get to a certain level, somebody is always testing you, IMHO, it's not like GROB was doing that well and the Rams did sign someone far superior to him, so they gave him a chance to still be on the first team and so far, he's failed to seize the day!

I admit that GRob is a potential bust
but still, why can't he just be a back-up at LT?
That's just what I don't understand - the guy is still under contract. He could be a decent LT backup for Whitworth

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
You're all jumping the gun on GRob. He hasn't had Kromer but for a few days and no work in pads. Kromer and McVay are using Brown as a motivational tool and keeping their options open. With Kromer's teaching skills, it remains to be seen if Grob is the problem or it was Boudreau's lack of teaching skill. We are just learning that Coach Boo assumed they all knew proper technique and just coached assignments, and we know how well that turned out last season. They all regressed and that points to coaching.

A message GRob can understand. Improve, or try your luck with another team next year. Lets give Kromer a chance to teach GRob the "technique" he desperately needs before we toss him under the bus.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When he was drafted we all knew he was raw and needed coaching to reach what Fisher believed was his full potential.This was common knowledge and the biggest knock on him. Physically gifted but needed major work on his technique. We now know through hindsight that Fisher failed to put together an offensive coaching staff to develop anybody let alone a raw OT like GRob.

Part of GRob's failure also resides in Fishers failed signing of Jake Long. The plan was to have GRob occupy the LG spot for a couple years while he learned next to the veteran Long. A good plan but as we now know Long couldn't stay healthy and instead of sticking with the plan and developing GRob first as a LG Fisher panicked and moved him to LT well before he was ready to occupy it. As much as I dislike the guy Fisher would have been much better off moving Saffold out there inspite of him failing there before.

That IMO is why GRob failed.

Ram65

Legend
Look at some videos...he's not the only player on "0" that looked confused...especially the line.

I hear ya coach! I was hoping he would make a nice switch to RT.

You're all jumping the gun on GRob. He hasn't had Kromer but for a few days and no work in pads. Kromer and McVay are using Brown as a motivational tool and keeping their options open. With Kromer's teaching skills, it remains to be seen if Grob is the problem or it was Boudreau's lack of teaching skill. We are just learning that Coach Boo assumed they all knew proper technique and just coached assignments, and we know how well that turned out last season. They all regressed and that points to coaching.

A message GRob can understand. Improve, or try your luck with another team next year. Lets give Kromer a chance to teach GRob the "technique" he desperately needs before we toss him under the bus.

I hope your right bubba!
Camp will be the time and place to find out if GRob has a future with the Rams and what that future is.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
why can't he just be a back-up at LT?

Because when he comes in at left tackle or right tackle we're going to have an offensive breakdown 60% of the time.

Give me a Pace Murphy or Darrell Williams who works his rear end off and tries to get better AND is doing it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm totally with you on this, however if his attitude isn't great, then he's done.