Greg Robinson not even second string

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
I just don't know if this guy can be saved. I thought last year that the zone blocking scheme was too complicated for him. I saw many plays last year where he just flat out blocked the wrong guy and let someone go unimpeded to kill Goff or Gurley.

I had high hopes that Kromer would be able to straighten this guy out and simplify things by going to a power blocking scheme for tackles. But to hear that he is not even second string in the OTAs makes me feel that he might be cut like some of you have stated in other posts.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But to hear that he is not even second string in the OTAs
curious, where did you hear that?

I like Kromer, please explain how a LINEMAN can lose or gain a position without the benefit of having pads on?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Kromer, please explain how a LINEMAN can lose or gain a position without the benefit of having pads on?

No explanation necessary, they are looking at everyone and that day it might have been how it broke out. There was already reports of Brown working with the first team, I would be interested of who the other player was working with the 2nd unit. Anyway today might be different story, but maybe they are trying to send Robinson a message.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Do we know who has been lining up on the first team OL?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Even if Robinson somehow does workout, I still don't like the pick. I'll never understand why they didn't take Jake Matthews.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
curious, where did you hear that?

Maybe he isn't taking classroom to the grass. Not picking up the right defender. From every thing reported on grob from the beginning, not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Just think, we could have had any one of the following instead of Robinson:

Khalil Mack (can you imagine him and AD on the same defense...)
OBJ
Mike Evans
Derek Carr (instant franchise QB, but this pick has a lot of hindsight involved)
Zack Martin
Jake Matthews
C.J. Mosley (would've been NASTY next to Ogletree)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if Robinson somehow does workout, I still don't like the pick. I'll never understand why they didn't take Jake Matthews.
Because Fisher-Snead were all about potential. Same thing about Brian Quick, Robinson has the athletic ability of a HOFer, but also has the mind of an amoeba....Being an Auburn guy sure helped him with Snead, as well. This was the worst fail by Les Snead and really should be hung around his neck...

Right now my emotional attachment to GRob is almost zero, and I certainly wouldn't cut any guys that are currently rotating on the Oline, for him.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just think, we could have had any one of the following instead of Robinson:

Khalil Mack (can you imagine him and AD on the same defense...)
OBJ
Mike Evans
Derek Carr (instant franchise QB, but this pick has a lot of hindsight involved)
Zack Martin
Jake Matthews
C.J. Mosley (would've been NASTY next to Ogletree)
You just hate Auburn guys!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No explanation necessary, they are looking at everyone and that day it might have been how it broke out. There was already reports of Brown working with the first team, I would be interested of who the other player was working with the 2nd unit. Anyway today might be different story, but maybe they are trying to send Robinson a message.
Yes I am also very interested in which OT has moved up to the 2nd RT slot. If the 6-6 310 pound Andrew Donnal has gotten on track & has got the hip surgery event in late January behind him then I would suspect that he would be my leading candidate. After all before Andrew's hip worn down he was the starting RG & RT over the last half of last season. Donnal was written off early this time last season as a possible release but won the #9 OL spot but ended up a starter after mid season.

When Donnal finally was forced from the field it was UDFA rookie 6-6 308 pound Pace Murphy who replaced Andrew @ RT for most of game #17. Pace has shown to be be very coach-able & technically sound. From a few nugget reports that have appeared OT Darrell Williams has been playing behind Murphy & is better suited for the LT post. If Robinson is unable to learn Kromer's desired technical regiment of what he demands from his right side OT post , then Kromer is still far from being in short supply of other OT starting prospect in Brown, Donnal, Murphy & Williams.

GRob might find himself being flipped back to the left side grasping to secure a 53 player roster spot as the 2017 reserve LT OL'er. Being a one OL post reserve is like treading on very thin ice when it comes to the final cuts before regular season. The thing we all know about GRob is he must improve on his technical side of his game. Its these early season practice events without pads where the majority of this element is worked on & accomplished. There still time but thus far things appear that his poor tech foundation is not moving improving as planned . Once again I would hate to think that this Ram Org. in the 4th season of GRob's pro career is forced to spending priceless valuable time sending GRob a message:censored:.

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
... simplify things by going to a power blocking scheme ...
I have to disagree a tiny bit here because I don't think a zone scheme is more complicated; in fact it's supposed to be easier, which is why all of the NFL now runs zone plays given the lack of practice time under CBA rules -- it's just too hard and time consuming to drill down power assignments versus every possible front like the good old days.

But if the point is that zone technique and concepts were just too difficult for Grob to pick up versus just trying to scheme it where he just plasters the guy in front of him without having to think, then point well taken. However I don't think any scheme completely removes thinking, communication/adjustments, and the requirement of doing the homework necessary to be confident in your assignment on the field.

The sad part, if it is indeed too late for him to ever be successful, is that I expect the Rams to go a lot more power this season and get their refrigerators with legs blocking down more instead of trying to reach laterally, which probably suits Grob (and most of them) better.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

It was to trade back with Buffalo. Such a bad mistake. They could have had an extra 1st rd pick & drafted the O"lineman from ND(Dallas) or the guy from Michigan that Tiatans drafted.

Truth is The Rams are in a solid position right now & have a solid LT.
Gurley & Goff. Future looks bright & no reason to turn the page backwards. Hopefully all those loading season are behind The Rams

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe Whitworth-Saffold-Sully-Havenstein-Brown
Yeah....no way in hell he should be missing practice AFTER a guy is moved in ahead of him..

Yeah - I think putting him behind players that show up deserve to be given the first chance.
Hope it was a message Greg Robinson can embrace & take on the challenge.

How would cutting him have on salary cap & wasted dollars $$$

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Lets wait and see once preseason starts. It's a little early to say whether or not he's going to 1st or 2nd string, and way too early to be saying he's going to be cut.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well for one thing, Jake Matthews was pretty terrible in his first season or so, and clearly played on a team with better offensive coaches. Who's to say their careers wouldn't be swapped if they each played for the respective team?

I could totally see how Matthews would have came to the Rams, gotten poor coaching and played poorly and then the rath of nepotism would have been played out

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can you blame him?
Snead
Robinson
Mason

You also have to factor in that Jeff Fisher's son Trent played on that Auburn team as well, so I am sure that played a part in the Robinson selection as well. I guarantee with this regime the pick would have been Jake Matthews.