Green-Beckham cut by Eagles - Rams deemed best landing spot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd say the obvious landing spot for him is either Cleveland or Canada.

Woohaa! The guy's lazy, a poor route runner and isn't dependable as a WR, kicking him out of the country is a bit harsh...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Woohaa! The guy's lazy, a poor route runner and isn't dependable as a WR, kicking him out of the country is a bit harsh...
24eYP-.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_6f6f95da-8552-5019-b258-3da0aa83bc0e.html

Where should Dorial Green-Beckham sign next? The Los Angeles Rams

Former Oklahoma Sooners and Missouri Tigers wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham is seeking his third NFL team in three seasons.

He was a second-round 2015 NFL Draft pick by the Tennessee Titans and traded to the Philadelphia Eagles before the 2016 season. The Eagles cut him on Friday.

CBS Sports' Sean Wagner-McGough writes that the best landing spot for DGB is now the Los Angeles Rams.

"Tavon Austin is not a WR1, even if he's paid like one," Wagoner-McGough writes. "Robert Woods is fine in a complimentary role, but he's the second best receiver on the Rams. Cooper Kupp is a rookie, so not much should be expected of him. The point being, get Jared Goff some help!

"Green-Beckham is cheap and would maybe be the third best receiver on the team. The Rams need to sign him and add him to their (bad) mix."

nighttrain

Legend
i'm of the notion that the Rams should sign this fella. sing him on the cheap, and for one year
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay wants smart players, technicians who take pride in their routes, and good locker room guys who put the team first. These folks in the press who are pushing this guy to us are not paying attention lol.

nighttrain

Legend
I'll let McVay make the call here. DGB has the athleticism to be a deep threat, but he's proven to be many bad things thus far in his career. McVay knows best what we have.
I'll leave this to McVay
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Again....I hate to be a pain about this....but, if this is true, what does he think about Jeff Spicoli that doesn't know where the sun sets?

I think he doesn't give a shit if Goff knows what direction the sun sets or not, but rather cares about his abilities to pickup and learn a playbook, which he apparently has done quite well. Meanwhile Robinson cared more about learning raps than learning the playbook and he shipped him off for a sack of potatoes. If DGB had issues with learning the playbook I doubt McVay wants him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
but rather cares about his abilities to pickup and learn a playbook, which he apparently has done quite well.

This is all alleged and assumed from statements at this point...until we see a game...no one knows how true any of this is...

I have never seen DGB held out of games...unable to learn the plays...and he's been on 2 teams.

And since we're still commenting on G-Rob...he scored a 22 on the wonderlic exam...I'm pretty sure he can memorize a few lyrics and the plays if he wanted to...

You know I was driving in traffic the other day....listening to some radio talk show....and I got to thinking...imagine if you went to a pretty decent medical school and your first job out, you went to a crummy medical center....where they taught you a bunch of terrible techniques....Many in the field heard about your struggles...and even though you were a bright intern at first, most thought you were a terrible medical professional now.....how would you feel about your first job? Would you want to stay? Would you do anything in your power to leave to try and salvage your name?

bluecoconuts

Legend
This is all alleged and assumed from statements at this point...until we see a game...no one knows how true any of this is...

I have never seen DGB held out of games...unable to learn the plays...and he's been on 2 teams.

And since we're still commenting on G-Rob...he scored a 22 on the wonderlic exam...I'm pretty sure he can memorize a few lyrics and the plays if he wanted to...

You know I was driving in traffic the other day....listening to some radio talk show....and I got to thinking...imagine if you went to a pretty decent medical school and your first job out, you went to a crummy medical center....where they taught you a bunch of terrible techniques....Many in the field heard about your struggles...and even though you were a bright intern at first, most thought you were a terrible medical professional now.....how would you feel about your first job? Would you want to stay? Would you do anything in your power to leave to try and salvage your name?

I mean I guess, but the Philly guys said he had issues learning the playbook, and both McVay and Goff have talked about his picking up the playbook quickly.

Looking at the guys that McVay has brought to the team, he obviously wants smart players. If he feels that DGB isn't smart, I don't see him picking him up. DGB hasn't exactly had a reputation of being smart, and that's going back to college.

He's a freak athlete who's been on two teams in two years, and just got cut and passed waivers. He's never put up big numbers. If he's not an idiot then what's his deal? And it's not just the team he is on, why did he slip in college from the next Megatron to a project?

Ram65

Legend
Read the article which tells why Rams should not come anywhere near him. There is a video at the link that talks about lack of focus. A little kinder that Reuben Frank long time Philly area reporter wrote.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...gles-finally-committed-fielding-productive-wr
GREEN-BECKHAM'S RELEASE SHOWS EAGLES FINALLY COMMITTED TO FIELDING PRODUCTIVE WR CORPS
By Reuben Frank | CSNPhilly.com July 01, 2017 9:00 AM
13 Comments
It just goes to show you how far the Eagles' wide receiving corps has come.

And how far Dorial Green-Beckham has fallen.

Last year's savior is this year's trash (see story).

When the Eagles acquired "DGB" 10 months ago, he was regarded as a godsend for a sputtering wide receiving corps that was desperate for a playmaker.

The only price was backup offensive lineman Dennis Kelly, and in exchange, the Eagles got a 23-year-old kid who had averaged 17 yards on 32 catches with four touchdowns as a rookie second-round pick with the Titans.

It seemed like a steal and looking back, it wasn't a bad move. The Eagles believed there was a fair chance they could get something out of Green-Beckham, and it only cost them a lineman who probably wouldn't have made the team anyway.

Ten months ago, when they made the move, the thinking was Green-Beckham was their second-best wide receiver, behind only Jordan Matthews. And with a lot more speed, so maybe he would evolve into a No. 1.

Yeah. Not exactly.

DGB was brutal. Painful to watch.

On the field, he showed no ability to adjust on a throw that was a millimeter too high or too low. He had zero body control and never was able to use that speed to get open. His instincts were terrible. He looked like a wide receiver, he just didn't play like one.

Off the field, he never showed any fire. The drops, the lack of production, the weekly disappearing act never seemed to bother him.

When Nelson Agholor struggled, a lot of us felt for him because you could tell it was tearing him up inside. You could tell he gave a crap.

DGB? You never got any sense of that.

Green-Beckham finished last year with 36 catches but they went for only 392 yards. He caught only eight passes longer than 15 yards, and five of them came with the Eagles already trailing by double digits.

Honestly, it was tough to watch. With each passing week, DGB looked less and less interested, less and less engaged.

DGB was awful in OTAs this spring, and any chance he had of even making it to training camp evaporated during the June practices. His release Friday was inevitable.

But it was also an easy move for the Eagles to make because of the offseason they've had. They didn't have to keep Green-Beckham around another year hoping he could somehow find his way.

This is no longer a receiving corps in desperate need of playmakers. The Eagles no longer have to rely on another team's castoff. They no longer have to try to turn a project with size and speed into a productive player.

The Eagles, for the first time in a while, actually appear dangerous at wide receiver. And thanks to their offseason moves, they had the luxury of jettisoning DGB instead of holding their breath and hoping, begging and pleading that he might somehow turn into something useful.

Alshon Jeffery gives the group instant credibility. Jeffery has averaged 79 yards per game since 2013, seventh highest among receivers who've been in the league during that four-year span.

His presence means Matthews no longer has to try to be a No. 1. Matthews is solid — one of only 12 wide receivers in the NFL with at least 225 catches, 2,600 yards and 19 TDs over the last three years. But he's best suited as a complimentary piece.

Add Torrey Smith, whose 17.0 yards per catch since he entered the league in 2011 is second best in the NFL (behind DeSean Jackson), and whatever the Eagles get from Agholor — I still have this weird sense he's going to be OK this year — and then add in two fast kids with promise, draft picks Mack Hollins and Shelton Gibson, and you have what sure looks like a legit receiving corps.

Imagine that. The team that brought you Miles Austin, Josh Huff, Chris Givens, Freddie Mitchell, Rueben Randle, Billy McMullen, Michael Timpson, Reggie Brown, Victor Bailey, Steve Smith and Mike Bellamy actually looks stacked at wideout.

The X-factor here is the change from Greg Lewis to Mike Groh as wide receiver coach. Lewis was a weird hire, with very little experience. He's now with the Chiefs — his sixth job in six years. He was never a good fit here. Guys got worse. Nobody got better.

Lewis followed Bob Bicknell, who was also lacking. In fact, you can make a case that Groh is the Eagles' first genuinely highly regarded wide receivers coach since … Lew Carpenter? He served under Buddy Ryan and Rich Kotite.

So they have the veterans. They have the draft picks. They have the position coach.

They have everything they need to give Carson Wentz and this Eagles offense dynamic, consistent, explosive production on the outside and in the slot.

And just as importantly, they don't have Dorial Green-Beckham because, for the first time in a long time, they're getting rid of guys who can't play instead of adding them.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As a Mizzou fan, I don't even consider DGB to be a part of Mizzou's history. He was kicked off our team, went to Oklahoma, and - in my honest opinion - isn't worth the headache that he'll bring to whichever team picks him up.