Green-Beckham cut by Eagles - Rams deemed best landing spot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Here is another one. Is this worse. A 25% drop rate. That's 12 drops with only 36 catches. This was before he had bad OTAs and was cut. He is exactly what McVay doesn't want. I don't think he can go on a practice squad but, I'm not sure. Sounds like he needs a lot of work and may never be even a decent NFL WR.
http://www.phillyvoice.com/dorial-green-beckham-has-uphill-climb-just-make-eagles-2017-roster/

DGBye

APRIL 11, 2017

Dorial Green-Beckham has an uphill climb just to make the Eagles' 2017 roster
EAGLES NFL PHILADELPHIA NELSON AGHOLOR DORIAL GREEN-BECKHAM
BY JIMMY KEMPSKI
PhillyVoice StaffDuring the 2016 season, Nelson Agholor received the bulk of the criticism aimed at the Philadelphia Eagles’ wide receiver corps, however, Dorial Green-Beckham might have been even worse.

A month ago, we tallied up all the Eagles' drops on the season, and came up with the following. As you can see, Green-Beckham led the team with 12 drops, letting an atrocious 25 percent of catchable passes slip through his grasp:

Player Drops Catches Drop % of catchable passes
Dorial Green-Beckham 12 36 25%
Jordan Matthews 8 73 9.9%
Nelson Agholor 6 36 14.3%
Trey Burton 4 37 9.8%
Darren Sproles 4 52 7.1%
Kenjon Barner 2 5 28.6%
Zach Ertz 2 78 2.5%
Byron Marshall 1 3 25%
Wendell Smallwood 1 6 14.3%
Paul Turner 1 9 10%
Ryan Mathews 1 13 7.1%
Brent Celek 1 14 6.7%

And it wasn't just drops. Green-Beckham did not play like a 6'5, 237-pound player should, more often than not losing to far smaller corners in contested catch situations. He was also guilty of offensive pass interference several times in the screen game, never correcting the mistake of blocking downfield too early, and costing the Eagles huge plays as a result.

Doug Pederson attributed Green-Beckham's bad season to being acquired by the team deep into training camp.

“I think that this will be a good offseason for DGB,” said Pederson at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix. “This will be a great offseason for him. It's going to be an opportunity for him to come in and, number one, show what he's really capable of. Now, we got him sort of at the end of training camp last year. I believe it was Week 3 of training camp so he was learning our system really the whole year. Now, having time to work with him and really develop his talent, to get in there with Mike Groh and learn and with all our players. But at that position with him, it's going to be big with him. And just to see where he's at.”

While still far from a very good group, the Eagles' receivers were upgraded this offseason with the acquisitions of Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith. Taking a look at the Eagles' receiving corps, there are very clearly four receivers who have a better chance of being on the roster than Green-Beckham in 2017.

1. Alshon Jeffery: Jeffery is the clear-cut No. 1 receiver.
  2. Jordan Matthews: With the possibility of Matthews walking in free agency after the 2017 season, there is some logic to trading him if no contract extension is reached so the team can recoup some value for him now rather than lose him for nothing in a year. Still, obviously, Matthews is a much better player than Green-Beckham.
  3. Torrey Smith: It's not a zero percent chance that Smith gets cut before the season begins, but it is extremely unlikely. Smith has to rebound in a big way from a dreadful 2016 season with the 49ers, but it would be shocking if he could not make the team.
  4. Nelson Agholor: Like it not, Agholor isn't going anywhere unless the Eagles can find some other team that sees something in him, and is willing to make a bust-for-bust deal. However, Agholor's contract does not allow for the Eagles to cut him outright without significant penalties.
In a sense, Green-Beckham is something of a fifth wide receiver at the moment, and he'll slide even further down the "make the team" pecking order if the Eagles draft another receiver. It's very rare for No. 5 receivers to not play special teams, something Green-Beckham does not do. Pederson was asked how Green-Beckham fits in with the new additions and existing players at wide receiver.

"It's kind of like the offensive line," he said. "You acquire as much depth as you can because you never know when a guy goes down and you need somebody. And competition makes everybody better. I've said that from Day 1. I believe that with everything that I have. For him to come in here and show that will be big for him."

Green-Beckham must be significantly improved to make the roster in 2017. If not, it's hard to justify his roster spot, unless, as Pederson noted, some players go down

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks for posting @Ram65

Very interesting stuff in here....where do I start? Well, for one....To bring in a player that has just been cut...seems very low risk...I mean the idea is to gather the best players for the lowest cost....correct? What's wrong with a looksie?
Looking at the guys that McVay has brought to the team, he obviously wants smart players. If he feels that DGB isn't smart, I don't see him picking him up. DGB hasn't exactly had a reputation of being smart, and that's going back to college.
Something happened to me...and for every instance I see that guys are "implying" that certain players are in some way more or "less" intelligent than what McVay prefers...I just have to comment. What makes anyone think that the players we have on the team...NOW...are any smarter or dumber that others? Say the new guys are harder workers....say they pay attention more...whatever....no way to measure any of these statements...but whatever, that's your opinion....and you are welcome to spread it around....but until there is proof....like, these are just statements to imply that for some reason, a bunch of our cuts/trades/or guys not signed are "dumber" than guys that still wear horns....and while it's kinda harsh....I mean, these guys have mothers....I would still like to remind everyone....that there is still a guy on the team...at the position that really DOES require quite a bit of intelligence, that at one time....just a year ago, he appeared to have difficulty describing where the sun...the SUN rises and sets. So...just stop with the dumb players are gone....seriously....go in a locker room....and tell me where the geniuses are...it's not that many in football locker...and I'm ok with that. Can you play or not? Can you be taught or not. Are you a hard worker or not?
The X-factor here is the change from Greg Lewis to Mike Groh as wide receiver coach. Lewis was a weird hire, with very little experience. He's now with the Chiefs — his sixth job in six years. He was never a good fit here. Guys got worse. Nobody got better.
This appears to be a common theme among bad offensive teams....bad coaches. Some of those players.....wow Nelson Agholor...thought he was a stud....and DGB outplayed him....to some fans, it mattered that it "looked" like Nelson cared....more than DGB.....LOLOLOL...What does that mean??? Seriously....The guy has 30+ catches in each of his first 2 years.....and he didn't play a bunch in college.....WR's take time...It's a tough position. Especially when you're moving around alot.

To me....I like wr's that can get OPEN....make tough catches....and can run like hell....KISS. Maybe I shouldn't add that last part. But if he can't get open and make the catch, I could care less how smart he is...If you get a guy like this around the RIGHT coach (wr coach) who knows what the hell they're doing, you'll see progress...You put a guy around a dude that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about...Well, if I felt you were trying to sabotage my million dollar career, you probably couldn't get me to pay attention either...again, it would be, get me outta here, so I can get around REAL pros....

After all I read about Doug Pederson, I'm shocked he had a wr coach that was terrible...

Late note....I thought Groh did a decent job here....

Ram65

Legend
Thanks for posting @Ram65

Very interesting stuff in here....where do I start? Well, for one....To bring in a player that has just been cut...seems very low risk...I mean the idea is to gather the best players for the lowest cost....correct? What's wrong with a looksie?

What's wrong with a look see?
How about he stinks!!!! What more proof do you need? I know 4 years. LOL OK I'll repost the hard facts.

Green-Beckham led the team with 12 drops, letting an atrocious 25 percent of catchable passes slip through his grasp:

Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Spruce all with great hands. Heck even Tavon only had 6-7 drops last year with over 50 catches. This is proof that he can't play at the NFL level. Your boy Michael Thomas has much better hands!

Green-Beckham did not play like a 6'5, 237-pound player should, more often than not losing to far smaller corners in contested catch situations. He was also guilty of offensive pass interference several times in the screen game, never correcting the mistake of blocking downfield too early, and costing the Eagles huge plays as a result.

He doesn't play to his size which is the main reason he got drafted. Sound familiar? Didn't correct offensive pass interference mistakes on blocking. Another flaw that McVay covets is the ability to block at the WR position.

“I think that this will be a good offseason for DGB,” said Pederson at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix. “This will be a great offseason for him. ”

He failed to tale advantage at OTAs. The other article stated he was horrible.

What do you think is going to happen? DGB magically fixes all these flaws in his game in a few weeks before OTAs. It's not going to happen. He will just take away time and reps from players that have a chance to make the final Rams roster.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol the whole sun rising location was debunked but kep touting it while claiming guys cut from teams because they weren't cutting it need to be signed.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What do you think is going to happen? DGB magically fixes all these flaws in his game in a few weeks before OTAs. It's not going to happen. He will just take away time and reps from players that have a chance to make the final Rams roster.
Meh....drops and rookie wrs....are really not a huge problem....2 seasons...and he has 60+ catches...basically a raw prospect...

Lol the whole sun rising location was debunked but keep touting it
I think we all watched the video...the clip....I'm curious, where was it "debunked" so I can stop attributing this nonsense on this fine young man.....because, if true...he really seems a little air-headed, would you agree??

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Green-Beckham is cheap and would maybe be the third best receiver on the team. The Rams need to sign him and add him to their (bad) mix."
here's one we will disagree on Champ! I don't think Green-Beckham will be any better a mix for this New Team than Britt would have been, and I like our New Large group of WR's we have to choice from!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Meh....drops and rookie wrs....are really not a huge problem....2 seasons...and he has 60+ catches...basically a raw prospect...

I think we all watched the video...the clip....I'm curious, where was it "debunked" so I can stop attributing this nonsense on this fine young man.....because, if true...he really seems a little air-headed, would you agree??

I just hope he doesn't think Sun Tzu is really from the Sun.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They talked about it a day or two after the episode aired it was on the Rams site might still be. They had him up in a helicopter and were screwing around with him and Cooper and Higbee (I think the 3 rookies together) and asked him that question. Either way is it really a big deal? We can go question athletes at each sports all star game and get stupid answers like that from great players. Hell our previous president said on numerous occasions there were 57 damned states in this country. You really make too much of this one Goff quote. With your other negative comments about him it's no wonder why though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Either way is it really a big deal?
IDK....all the talk of new culture....players that can spell cat if you spot them the "A" and "T"....I don't know...If some players are supposedly not bright enough to be here....but our QB....gets a pass....and doesn't know that the sun doesn't rise in the east??? IDK. 4 years of high school....3 of college...at UC Berkeley....IDK....yet all the comments of who's this or that in the mental department...and we don't need them...because they don't "get it". Like football all of a sudden got tremendously hard.

And add to that...I've seen this guy....look confused...hell clueless...fans crucified Jim Everett for looking no where near as bad....but he gets a pass...while continuing to bash any guy not deemed as bright enough for McVay to work with. IDK....but guess what?

We'll soon find out.
Thus far the answer for DGB on all three questions is no.
He's had 60+ catches in 2 years....He's played with rookie QB's in both years....you can question a lot about this guy, but talent shouldn't be one of them...I think he needs motivation.

It would be like cutting Higbee...cause he did NOTHING. Cutting SPRUCE....cause he did NOTHING. Cutting Mike Thomas....cause he did NOTHING. Heminingway....Bradley....nada. In fact, it will be very hard for Kupp or Everett...similar draft range players...to match or exceed DGB's numbers in 2 years. And, there is no way I'd consider cutting them after 2 years.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And add to that...I've seen this guy....look confused...hell clueless...fans crucified Jim Everett for looking no where near as bad....but he gets a pass...while continuing to bash any guy not deemed as bright enough for McVay to work with. IDK....but guess what?

We'll soon find out.

We saw the same with Eli, Peyton, Aikman and countless QB's all of them were given a chance to grow. Hell John Elways first 7 or 8 starts he was pathetically bad. It just seems it's OK to crap on Goff and not OK to defend him and hold out hope he lives up to his draft status. Then again for most of the people crapping on him he'll never live up to his draft status and they hold that against him more than anything.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be like cutting Higbee...cause he did NOTHING. Cutting SPRUCE....cause he did NOTHING. Cutting Mike Thomas....cause he did NOTHING. Heminingway....Bradley....nada. In fact, it will be very hard for Kupp or Everett...similar draft range players...to match or exceed DGB's numbers in 2 years. And, there is no way I'd consider cutting them after 2 years.

And that's what you just don't seem to want to accept. Teams saw him do something on the field other than drop 25% of the passes thrown his way. And they still wanted to cut him. We haven't seen anything so bad from these guys that makes us want to cut them and they weren't even 2nd round picks! We saw DGB catch 32 balls his rookie year on 67 targets and the team traded him for a backup OLineman. And that didn't raise any flags with you. We saw his 2nd team in his sophomore season watch him catch 36 balls in 74 targets (for the record that's catching 48% of targets in two years) and they released him before his 3rd training camp. And that didn't raise any flags with you. Obviously two teams with good coaches had issues with him and kicked him to the curb. To almost everybody else these incidents raise red flags. I haven't seen any red flags with any of our WR's or TE that would make the team cut or trade them in camp. Maybe running a 4.4 40 yard dash at 6'5" isn't everything, maybe it takes more to be a good WR in the NFL.

And just for the record Higbee only caught 11 of 29 targets. That's far worse and yet a 2nd coach in 2 years and he's not getting cut just yet.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I have a sneaking suspicion DGB was going to be drafted by the Rams in 2015 but the Titans took him one spot before us. We traded down and took Rob H instead.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We saw DGB catch 32 balls his rookie year on 67 targets and the team traded him for a backup OLineman. And that didn't raise any flags with you. We saw his 2nd team in his sophomore season watch him catch 36 balls in 74 targets (for the record that's catching 48% of targets in two years) and they released him before his 3rd training camp. And that didn't raise any flags with you.
Of course...which is why he's able to be signed so cheaply...but he's far too young to just be overlooked....Especially considering our roster.
His percentage is horrible when compared to elite players...When compared to other rookies...and 2nd year guys...it's not that bad....especially since he played with rookie QB's both years.

And just for the record Higbee only caught 11 of 29 targets.
Which is why I brought his name up first...

bluecoconuts

Legend
He's had 60+ catches in 2 years....He's played with rookie QB's in both years....you can question a lot about this guy, but talent shouldn't be one of them...I think he needs motivation.

I never said he didn't have talent, my very first post was commenting about how he was projected to be the next Calvin Johnson, and I mentioned it again recently to you that he should have been that. However he's not, the tape today shows that no he cannot play. If all he can run is a post route then he can't play in the NFL. If he can't learn a playbook or learn how to run other routes/better routes then it would suggest he can't be taught, and rumors have surrounded him suggest that no he wasn't a hard worker. Quick may not have been all that great but he was at least a hard worker and that's why he stuck around that long. People don't give up on 6'6 receivers that are hard workers after 1 season.

Look, I'd love for him to come to the Rams and be that deep threat #1 receiver that this team needs, but if he doesn't have it between the ears I don't see it happening. Everything seems to suggest that he doesn't have it between the ears, otherwise teams would be holding onto him longer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course...which is why he's able to be signed so cheaply...but he's far too young to just be overlooked....Especially considering our roster.
His percentage is horrible when compared to elite players...When compared to other rookies...and 2nd year guys...it's not that bad....especially since he played with rookie QB's both years.

Which is why I brought his name up first...

w6x8g.jpg

You use reasons to justify moving on from our players to guys cut who have the same if not more issues than the guys we're playing. You excuse other players for their rookie QB then don't excuse our players for playing with a rookie QB. You're a constant source of laughter I hope you never change :)