Goff QB 2 on depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
"Fisher said he may continue to alternate backup QB role between Goff and Mannion, but hasn't yet made that determination."

That would be absolutely stupid.Even by Fishers standards .Whats the point?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do people have against players earning things? I have no problem with the situation, knowing that it won't be long that Goff will be the clear, and far away #1 choice.

I have a problem with it when it costs us football games. You want to ask two veterans to compete for a job, fine with me. You want to ask two rookies to compete for a job, fine with me. But when you pit a rookie vs. a vet, it's not really a fair competition. The veteran doesn't have to learn the playbook and the scheme. Of course, that begs the question: "Do you always start a rookie over a vet?" No. You have to assess if the rookie will quickly become the better player with reps and whether the rookie is ready to play.

Now, some will retort that Goff isn't ready to play. I don't agree. Watching Keenum out there against San Francisco, I have no doubt in my mind that Goff will quickly become the better player with reps.(if he's not already the better player, which I think he likely is)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Something tells me that this game of musical chairs ends in the release of Keenum.

This game is Keenum's career. After the way he tanked vs SF if he has a similar game the next week he's done. Dudes with low talent levels gotta seize the day.

Whatever happens I think he understands that and he is going to put that ball down the field. Good or bad, I'm sure of that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
This game is Keenum's career. After the way he tanked vs SF if he has a similar game the next week he's done. Dudes with low talent levels gotta seize the day.

Whatever happens I think he understands that and he is going to put that ball down the field. Good or bad, I'm sure of that.

Are you referring to the vertical passing game?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Not so sure about that.Fisher can be loyal to a fault at times

Stan being in the locker room for so long last game tells me if there at zero points at half there could be a change at QB. If Fisher doesn't do it he will be forced to. That being said Fisher will make some kind of move if they go 6 scoreless quarters

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
What do people have against players earning things? I have no problem with the situation, knowing that it won't be long that Goff will be the clear, and far away #1 choice.

That's a fair point. Has Keenum earned a free pass after last week though? He was named starter almost immediately after the game. In the limited amount I get access to as a fan, I would actual say Mannion has looked the best of all the QBs. (Again limited access). I think a big part of this is I think the fan base may have lost confidence in Fishers ability to identify the right guy.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lolz. This just makes Fisher look even sillier. He demotes a QB that never took a snap. Shame on you Sean!! Whatevs. I just hope the play calling finds some semblance of a clue. Coaching may be this teams weakest link at this point. Gurley is wasted when the defense know we are running on 1st and 2nd almost every time. Our OL is not good enough to attack like that....no matter what our hipster doofus OC thinks.

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
He's been announced as #2 officially. Great news for us, that if Keenum doesn't pick up his play we'll finally see them start the kid's run to league dominance. Road's gonna be a bit lumpy from time to time, but that's ok because he's gonna make plays too and get better week to week.
Bold prediction: I expect to see Goff come in to start the 2nd half after Keenum struggles in the 1st.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we're NOT gonna dress Mannion, our best, most prepared quarterback that knows the playbook and has pretty good arm talent. Brilliant. Jeff Fisher is the Tony Banks of coaches. Three ring circus. God help Goff if he plays. Especially against Seattle's defense. Just my two humble cents worth. Either we are playing to win or we are getting Goff ready. Neither of those options include Keenum in my opinion. Sorry Case, but I would have you at 2 or 3.

FrankenRam

Starter
So we're NOT gonna dress Mannion, our best, most prepared quarterback that knows the playbook and has pretty good arm talent. Brilliant. .......

My thoughts exactly. IF Fisher correctly rated each QB's ability to give the team the best chance of winning last week and Mannion truly was (and remains) the 2nd best option, then if/when Keenum flops again, Mannion should be 'next man up'.

I'm also growing a little weary of all this "Goff is only going to learn if he gets reps with the 1's....he can't learn standing on the sideline holding a clipboard" talk.

Horse puckey. If he can't learn studying the playbook, watching film and discussing what's seen on film with the coaching staff, and pick up on some nuances of the flow of the pro game watching from the sideline, then he's as dumb as not knowing where the sun rises makes him seem and they never should have taken him.

Granted, at some point, reps are needed to tie all that 'classroom learning' in a nice little bow and become the QB everyone thinks he can become. But to suggest the ONLY way he'll learn is by playing is some real 7-9 bs...wait..., it's more like 2-14 bs.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
[QUOTE="FrankenRam, post: 795091, member: 3119]
Horse puckey. If he can't learn studying the playbook, watching film and discussing what's seen on film with the coaching staff, and pick up on some nuances of the flow of the pro game watching from the sideline[/QUOTE]
Right, especially since his Cal Bear Raid offense is nothing like what he is tasked with now.

Shoman01

Rookie
I just checked the Rams web site and he is in the 2nd position and moved Mannion to 3rd. I guess the kid is moving up. I know I heard Fish mention about the possibility of him moving behind Case. I guess this means he is progressing.
It would be nice to see him play his 1st game as well or better than Wentz did in Philly.

The last team Goff needs to play against is Seattle. They would destroy any of the confidence he has. If he is having a problem with the speed of the game, going up against one of the fastest defenses in the league is not a good idea.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So we're NOT gonna dress Mannion, our best, most prepared quarterback that knows the playbook and has pretty good arm talent. Brilliant. Jeff Fisher is the Tony Banks of coaches. Three ring circus. God help Goff if he plays. Especially against Seattle's defense. Just my two humble cents worth. Either we are playing to win or we are getting Goff ready. Neither of those options include Keenum in my opinion. Sorry Case, but I would have you at 2 or 3.

That's not the only way to look at it Oregon.

How about the staff knows they have a choice between Mannion who is a little more ready to step in now, OR the kid with a far better skill set for long term NFL success. If Case comes in and stinks again there is a lot of logic to favor the kid starting his career because even if he plays like Case did he still has that ability to improve week to week and lift this team with him.

As to whether Fish is a good coach, that's a whole other argument.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not the only way to look at it Oregon.

How about the staff knows they have a choice between Mannion who is a little more ready to step in now, OR the kid with a far better skill set for long term NFL success.
Yeah Merlin, there are other points of view. Agreed. I agree the arm talent is probably better with Goff, but I think he's gonna take his lumps if he is brought in as a 1 too early, but I do get your point about Case. I just feel Mannion would be a better model for Goff considering the similarities. I do worry for Goff's confidence and safety with our O line presently. I'd like to see him wait until later in the season before starting. Just my opinion. Not necessarily the correct one!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Wouldn't it be great if Goff is starting this week and Fisher is just trying to hit the Hags by surprise?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I have a problem with it when it costs us football games. You want to ask two veterans to compete for a job, fine with me. You want to ask two rookies to compete for a job, fine with me. But when you pit a rookie vs. a vet, it's not really a fair competition. The veteran doesn't have to learn the playbook and the scheme. Of course, that begs the question: "Do you always start a rookie over a vet?" No. You have to assess if the rookie will quickly become the better player with reps and whether the rookie is ready to play.

Now, some will retort that Goff isn't ready to play. I don't agree. Watching Keenum out there against San Francisco, I have no doubt in my mind that Goff will quickly become the better player with reps.(if he's not already the better player, which I think he likely is)
Things will have to change drastically, or Keenum will lose his job. Personally, I'd rather watch a rookie try, learn, and fail, than to watch a guy like Keenum play as badly as he did.

You have to earn respect in the locker room, and on the field of play, or you'll have a major problem on game day. I suspect Case lost a lot of what he had previously earned after that game. Hopefully, Goff's reps this week were good one's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The last team Goff needs to play against is Seattle. They would destroy any of the confidence he has. If he is having a problem with the speed of the game, going up against one of the fastest defenses in the league is not a good idea.

Seattle actually runs one of the simpler defensive schemes in the NFL. They have a very talented defense, but it's not a bad game to start Goff in.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This small move puts more pressure on Keenum. It doesn't really accomplish anything else.
I doubt Goff has seen any more reps as the #2 then he did as the #3