Goff observation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Goff also threw it into triple coverage, and missed a few wide open receivers. There were a few drops, but there were also a few inaccurate throws. 2 wasted timeouts and a delay of game penalty showed his lack of poise.

Said every quarterback ever! Every QB misses throws or makes the wrong reads. No QB is perfect. Remind me when there's a QB with 6000 yards passing, 50 TD's and 0 INT's ...

You're just ultra critical because you're a passionate fan and there's nothing wrong with that, but to sit here and say he's not perfect so lets throw him under the bus... Now that's silly.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@LACHAMP46

2002 chargers, week 12 lost 30-3 to the dolphins (9-7 at year's end) who had Ray Lucas in at QB that game. Who was the trailer there?

Or does that not count because we can see in hindsight that Brees is good?

And before you say that was one game...

Week 5 vs the Broncos (he there for one touchdown in garbage time) and week 14 vs the Raiders. And one might even be inclined to throw in week 9 vs the Jets. He was a trailer that year in several games and benefited from having Tomlinson as his running back.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is another Skip Bayless, who like LaChamp, keeps pushing an agenda regardless of how stupid he sounds.
I'm not going to assume his motives... just going to disagree when I think he's off base. In the case of Quick is better than Kupp? IMO, he's wrong... very wrong. :shocked:

Bayless still arguing Prescott is better than Wentz and that the Cowboys are better than the Eagles if they had Sean Lee and Zeke. It's just stupid is as stupid does all day long.
Is Skippy Useless saying that today? I remember when they started 1310 - The Ticket down here in DAL... he was one of the original hosts... even back then, I knew he was a buffoon.
So, did he say that after last night? :eek:

LACHAMP46 is making himself out to be a trailer, of sorts.
I'm not gonna attack the poster... he certainly has some strange takes, though.
:cautious:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Said every quarterback ever! Every QB misses throws or makes the wrong reads. No QB is perfect. Remind me when there's a QB with 6000 yards passing, 50 TD's and 0 INT's ...

You're just ultra critical because you're a passionate fan and there's nothing wrong with that, but to sit here and say he's not perfect so lets throw him under the bus... Now that's silly.
I'm neither being ultra critical nor throwing Goff under the bus. I'm not nor have I ever expected perfection from any player, Goff is well exceeding what I predicted he would do this season. I have never once said Goff is why we lost, and I never will. It's a team game and a team loss. Goff played well and he had some not so good moments, much like the rest of the team. I might have overreacted and been a bit harsh on what I thought of his play, but I never thought he bad or was why we lost.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Reading through the past six pages I feel like some of you are forgetting this is a team on the rise. They're not a team that has arrived, but they are getting better and better each week and growing. The Rams team that got manhandled by the Skins at home and the one that hung with the Vikes until the 4th quarter in their house are two different teams. They are way better than they were in week 2.

Seven weeks from now does anyone think they won't improve further? With a young QB and coach who are both basically learning on the job? Zimmer--as much as I detest him--is a top defensive mind in this league and has a great defense this year that was at home. Dude handed McVay a lesson just like Carrol did when they played Seattle at home.

So for myself at least I am just enjoying watching these guys develop. Goff is going to get better as he watches film and sees what Zimmer's defense just did to him, as is McVay who has also NOT arrived just yet; as good as he is don't start thinking he's not getting better as we go. And that will continue after the Saints game win or lose, as well as the matchup with the Eagles. When the Rams go into Seattle later this year we'll hopefully see a different team than the one that let Seattle rattle them at home.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That play where Goff fell down on his own when he was throwing to Gurley to me that was a sign of how the day was going that play would have been a touchdown at best a 50 yarder at worse

Tano

Legend
That play where Goff fell down on his own when he was throwing to Gurley to me that was a sign of how the day was going that play would have been a touchdown at best a 50 yarder at worse
And then there was the play that Goff threw into triple coverage, I just saw a replay that showed Gurley completely uncovered on the left side.

There was NO ONE within 10 to 15 yards of him and nobody in front of him.

He would have gotten at minimum 40 yards (maybe a TD).

The only defenders that would have had a chance at stopping him would be the 3 that were covering Woods. They would have gotten over there eventually (maybe the 20 yard line or so) but open field tackles.... who knows.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And then there was the play that Goff threw into triple coverage, I just saw a replay that showed Gurley completely uncovered on the left side.

The only defenders that would have had a chance at stopping him would be the 3 that were covering Woods. They would have gotten over there eventually (maybe the 20 yard line or so) but open field tackles.... who knows.
That was pretty much the entire game Gurley was open on the flat a lot just didn’t get the looks

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yep. I saw the same thing. I think Goff went into hero mode there when it wasn't needed. He's a young player. It happens.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'll say this.....Brees Chargers....are not as good as these Rams....His team, he had to carry..his defense was pretty bad...I'd say awful.....They started by winning the first 4 games, then closed with losing the last 4. Missing the playoffs. The AFC West was particularly tough that year, no team finished with a losing record. This was the year the Raiders went to and lost the SB....to a hungry Tampa team with their former coach...think, tuck rule season.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2002.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2002/
These Rams, are helping Goff...We needed a better performance from the QB yesterday. He played ok. Nothing special.

Is he our biggest concern, I'd say no. The physically weak o-line and lack of a running game is one....And the defenses inability to stop the run is 1B.

But

His position is such, that if he were an elite talent, we could still win a playoff game with this same team.

How does his defense affect him throwing all those interceptions? I'm not buying it dude, you're not being consistent in your evaluation assessments.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, I watched the game last night...

I was surprised at how well the Rams played, actually. And Goff seemed fine (always a few exceptions, but he looked as good as usual to me).

The fumble by Kupp and the Roughing The Passer penalty on Donald (strongly disagreed with it) were critical pooints in the game to me.

Until the end (of course), the Rams were in the game... there were miscues on multiple players, too many dropped passes... so, to me, the plays were there (if they weren't I'd be concerned) but they failed to execute.

Correctable, IMO. I felt better after watching it.

But NO still has me very concerned.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Goff got drilled while throwing that pass, he had no time to look off Woods

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How does his defense affect him throwing all those interceptions? I'm not buying it dude, you're not being consistent in your evaluation assessments.

I'm not worried as much about interceptions....I look at the throws...the quality of the throws...verses good coverage...and good competition.

What type of throws does a QB make?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He was a trailer that year in several games and benefited from having Tomlinson as his running back.
yeah....he was a trailer in a few....but was also the tractor in others...

When will ours play the tractor? Against a playoff caliber opponent?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just lost a lot of respect for you.

If you truly believe this, there really isn't anything to say... feel free to remain silent.

If Quick drops the passes that Kupp had, you guys would be calling for his head. Fumbling on the goalline...

Only difference is one gets targets...

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not worried as much about interceptions....I look at the throws...the quality of the throws...verses good coverage...and good competition.

What type of throws does a QB make?

I see a young QB in horns that throws all over, including a wonderful deep ball, which has made him one of the best deep passers in the league (so much for that argument, eh?) and yet still does an amazing job of keeping the ball safe.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I saw Goff look extremely composed for a QB with his experience. I saw a Rams team that beat itself. I saw a Vikings team that took control and beat down our team. I saw an offensive gameplan that wasn't good enough.
probably this...

but composed?

I'm curious.....why do any 2nd year QB's play well?

Goff composed?? Are you kidding? He was running around before every snap after the first drive, barely getting the snap off in time trying to get everyone on the same page. The whole offense was out of synch. No huddle was completely undoable because of the crowd noise.Timeouts, delay of game penalties and false starts.

Goff had a hard time communicating with his offense because of the crowd.
Far from composed.
Seemed like everyone saw this...we looked like we had never played on the road...no hand signals...dudes trying to yell over crowd noise. Surprising to say the least.

I thought that was an odd description as well

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He beat Seattle. You can't count that Kupp drop on Goff...he beat Seattle but our team did not.
Would have.....best game I've seen outta him as far as clutch....so there is hope...ignoring the other stuff gets us nowhere though.
Bayless still arguing Prescott is better than Wentz
Sorta like some arguing that another guy is better than Wentz too....

IDK what he turns into...but at the moment, Wentz is doing it...better than most.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I see a young QB in horns that throws all over, including a wonderful deep ball, which has made him one of the best deep passers in the league (so much for that argument, eh?)
I like the way he throws...think his balls, deep ones, need more velocity...but he's an ok thrower...tight window throws is what I'm looking at.
Best deep passer in the league huh? Wonder why he's behind in total yards tho?

I'm starting to think some of those stats are based on the defenses we've played...

Lets see what he looks like against another big test...playoff caliber team....now at home....you tell me what YOU see this Sunday.

I'm on to New Orleans