Goff Making Progress or Offensive Line Saving Him?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How Do You View Goff's Performance?

• He's the reason we're winning

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • He's doing just enough to keep us winning

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Give him time and he'll be the reason we're winning

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • He will never meet the expectations of a first overall pick

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're moving the goal-posts now.
How when I stated that from the very beginning?? You the one that said it was false then went on to say that McVay runs the wco so it’s going to be more pronounced which is exactly what I’m saying. If you watched cousins early on when McVay got there you will see the same thing later on in the year McVay gave Cousin bigger portion of the playbook allowed him to take more deep shots down the field. All I’m saying is McVay is protecting Goff with the playcalls and Goff is taking full advantage of that which is a great sign for Goff and his development

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How when I stated that from the very beginning?? You the one that said it was false then went on to say that McVay runs the wco so it’s going to be more pronounced which is exactly what I’m saying. If you watched cousins early on when McVay got there you will see the same thing later on in the year McVay gave Cousin bigger portion of the playbook allowed him to take more deep shots down the field. All I’m saying is McVay is protecting Goff with the playcalls and Goff is taking full advantage of that which is a great sign for Goff and his development

This is what you said:
Right now Goff is a game manager that is getting protected by McVay. McVay is using a lot of quick passes and 2 read routes with the rb as an outlet.

We're not running a two-read offense. Maybe you meant something different, but what you said wasn't accurate.

McVay's job is to protect Goff. Every play-caller tries to protect his QB.

KayJay

Starter
I don't see why it really matters. The fact of the matter is he's the starting quarterback for the Los Angeles Rams. He's able to read defense, audible at the line, and make third down conversions. The man changes plays at the line; he's trying to take control of an offense and make it his own. He couldn't do that for shit last year. I know its not people's intention, but I really don't like the label 'game manager' when it pertains to Goff. Goff looks for first downs, is a part of the reason we lead the league in 3rd down conversion percentage, and he's great at throwing intermediate passes in the 20 yard range. That is a damn quarterback, not a game manager. The touchdowns will come as his familiarity with this offense grows.

The man is putting us in the position to score every single game. Now granted, he's had some help; but that's Todd Gurley and the offensive lines job. Its a team game, and Goff is in a totally new offense with an expanded playbook. I'm excited every time he drops back, he spreads the ball around so god damn well. He's a damn quarterback, and next year he will only get better. I know some are still hung on Ginger Jesus because he's dominating. But he's gone through his growing pains too. He had a full season under his belt in the same offense, give Goff the same time and treatment. So to answer your question, is he the reason why we are winning? Yes, he is a reason. Just like Gurley is a reason, and our offensive line.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Kupp catches the ball , the Rams have the best record in the NFL and Goff would be mentioned with the big dogs .
I still rehash that drop a few times a day.

It was his route more than catching the ball. He straight lined the defender.
The last play , not so sure ? The Rams are still a young team.

Austin & Watkins both missed training camp. Now Dunbar is coming back. Add Tomas & Reynolds as well. The Rams have depth.
The offensive line is really starting to jell as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I didn’t say they was dumbing down the progression and they are using a two read scheme that’s why they run so many 3 WRs sets on the same side with a lot of crosses and slants.
That’s not a knock on Goff and it’s definitely not “absolutely false” that’s why they run so many “dummy”routes to free up those two reads for Goff. I’m not saying that Goff only goes to those two reads or the flat it’s been times he has hit his 3 and 4th receiver but the scheme is allowing him to play better and more freely
Isn’t that pretty much the case with all QBs?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn’t that pretty much the case with all QBs?
Every OC puts his QB no matter who the QB is or how old he is in the best position to succeed. They also run route concepts to get guys open.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No it’s not. It’s the same case for rookies and 1 st time starters which is exactly my point.
Meh. Those are all concepts used by virtually all coaches to scheme the offense. It can certainly change when I rookie or marginal talent QB is playing but this isn't the case with what McVay is doing with Goff. He is essentially a rookie and is already being charged with calling plays at the line. He is being asked to do what experienced QBs are doing. The biggest difference here is that the entire offense is on the first year of a new scheme. If anyone is holding the playbook back, it is not Goff. It is the coach feeding it to the entire offense at a rate they can work with without making a bunch of mistakes.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh. Those are all concepts used by virtually all coaches to scheme the offense. It can certainly change when I rookie or marginal talent QB is playing but this isn't the case with what McVay is doing with Goff. He is essentially a rookie and is already being charged with calling plays at the line. He is being asked to do what experienced QBs are doing. The biggest difference here is that the entire offense is on the first year of a new scheme. If anyone is holding the playbook back, it is not Goff. It is the coach feeding it to the entire offense at a rate they can work with without making a bunch of mistakes.

I’m so tired of hearing he is a rookie. No he’s not and the only reason why he’s calling plays at the line is because Sullivan got hurt. Sullivan was in charge with line calls and making protection calls all Goff was doing was audibling. McVay already stated that Goff gets 2 plays in. 1 pass 1 run he can audible into either one of those.

When you go an entire game with 1 pass over 10 yards that’s the head coach protecting his qb. That’s why they wanted guys that could break tackles and run with the ball. Like I said it’s not a negative or knock on Goff at all. He is essentially doing exactly what McVay has asked him to do.

By keeping the offense simple McVay has allowed Goff to grow before our eyes. Goff knows the plays he knows where all his receivers should be so that allows him to scan the field more and go through progressions. McVay wanted him to have the basics down before throwing more on his plate that’s why McVay just said they was expanding the playbook

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a knock on Goff, McVay is doing whats best for him, and the offense
I think Goff has been excellent and I’m not a fan. If he couldn’t operate the offense McVay installed I would be extremely worried but he is definitely doing a good job

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Almost every QB throughout history is a product of their line and receivers (and oftentimes the run game). When that crap falls apart, so does the QB. There are rare exceptions when the QB can still perform well, but those instances are SO rare that they're considered to be outliers. To that end, it should be everyone's hope that the line continues to stay healthy and the receivers continue to develop. Because it's not fun at all when the line falls apart or the receivers get injured and you have to start making excuses for your QB.
You can't click multiple reactions to a post... so I'm doing this.

Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!
Thread Winner!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I truly believe you guys are saying the same thing....

We are not. See below. I'm saying that every good play-caller protects his QB by playing to his strengths (and the strengths of the players around him). Dxmissile is saying that Goff is being protected in ways other QBs aren't. That's definitely not saying the same thing.

No it’s not. It’s the same case for rookies and 1 st time starters which is exactly my point.

What are we doing for Goff that other teams aren't doing for their QBs?

When you go an entire game with 1 pass over 10 yards that’s the head coach protecting his qb. That’s why they wanted guys that could break tackles and run with the ball. Like I said it’s not a negative or knock on Goff at all. He is essentially doing exactly what McVay has asked him to do.

Over 34% of Goff's attempts this year have been 11+ yards down the field.

By keeping the offense simple McVay has allowed Goff to grow before our eyes. Goff knows the plays he knows where all his receivers should be so that allows him to scan the field more and go through progressions. McVay wanted him to have the basics down before throwing more on his plate that’s why McVay just said they was expanding the playbook

Every coach expands the playbook as the season goes on, that goes doubly so for a coach breaking in a new scheme.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are not. See below. I'm saying that every good play-caller protects his QB by playing to his strengths (and the strengths of the players around him). Dxmissile is saying that Goff is being protected in ways other QBs aren't. That's definitely not saying the same thing.

What are we doing for Goff that other teams aren't doing for their QBs?

Over 34% of Goff's attempts this year have been 11+ yards down the field.

Every coach expands the playbook as the season goes on, that goes doubly so for a coach breaking in a new scheme.
I feel like we going in circles.

The poll asked was Goff making progress or the offensive line saving him.

I said that Goff is making progress because McVays system is protecting him. What’s so wrong with what I said. I also stated that McVay right now has a 2 progression offense with the running back as a safety valve. What’s wrong with that?? McVays offense is to give his Qb whether it was Cousins or Goff 2 quick reads to get the ball out of his hands quickly and into a playmakers hand.

You said what HC don’t expand the playbook when they are first time coaches with a young team but that’s exactly the point I’m making that’s why McVay call the plays he call because they are high percentage throws for Goff.it allows for easier reads when he drop back he knows he has a running back in the flat he knows he has a crosser and a decoy post route to bring the safeties up and his 2nd option running up the seam.

I guess you taking offense because you think when I say McVay is protecting him you think I mean it literally, like Goff don’t have anything to do with his own progression but that’s not the case.

McVay could have easily have Goff throwing the ball 40-50 times a game but we can’t win like that at least not yet and McVay learned that when we played the Seahawks that’s what I mean by him protecting Goff understanding that right now Goff needs to throw the ball no more than 30 times a games and if he do Gurley go have about 7 catches.

I don’t care about other QBs and what their head coaches do because some give their rookies free reign like Watson had like Luck like Wentz like Mariota like Kaep like Vick like Freeman like Both Mannings. The fact is history is littered with head coaches that don’t protect their prize QBs either with playcalling or throwing them in too early not protecting them from theirselves.

McVay is still learning Goff, the type of throws he can make what he can’t make if he is a rhythm thrower. So right now McVay play calling has been pretty conservative it just don’t seem that way because our playmakers are a lot better then in years past but 7.7 ypa attest to that. That’s pretty much the same as Bradford rookie year which adds to my point it’s in the head coach best interest to protect their QBs
If they want them to succeed. After the year Goff has he need this to continue building up his confidence

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is like 3rd in the NFL in completed passes over 20 yards, short passes ya know
train
Those are passes that went 20 yards not traveled 20 yards in the air. So a screen pass that went 29 yards count.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said that Goff is making progress because McVays system is protecting him. What’s so wrong with what I said. I also stated that McVay right now has a 2 progression offense with the running back as a safety valve. What’s wrong with that?? McVays offense is to give his Qb whether it was Cousins or Goff 2 quick reads to get the ball out of his hands quickly and into a playmakers hand.

What's so wrong with what you said? For me, the problem is that it's not factually accurate. It's like saying, "Yea, I said the Earth is flat. What's wrong with that?"

We're not running a two-progression offense. That's not true. It's not accurate. Thus, I am setting the record straight.

McVay is still learning Goff, the type of throws he can make what he can’t make if he is a rhythm thrower. So right now McVay play calling has been pretty conservative it just don’t seem that way because our playmakers are a lot better then in years past but 7.7 ypa attest to that. That’s pretty much the same as Bradford rookie year which adds to my point it’s in the head coach best interest to protect their QBs
If they want them to succeed. After the year Goff has he need this to continue building up his confidence

I can't agree that McVay has been conservative. We're attacking down the field and taking chances. Goff is just doing a nice job of throwing the ball away instead of forcing a bunch of passes.(and he's gotten lucky with a few passes he's forced not being picked)

nighttrain

Legend
Those are passes that went 20 yards not traveled 20 yards in the air. So a screen pass that went 29 yards count.
i'd have to go back and look, and to lazy right now, but i have seen him throw acoss the field for 5 yds where the pass actually traveled 20 yds in the air. Late here in Iowa
train