Goff Making Progress or Offensive Line Saving Him?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How Do You View Goff's Performance?

• He's the reason we're winning

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • He's doing just enough to keep us winning

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Give him time and he'll be the reason we're winning

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • He will never meet the expectations of a first overall pick

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
If anyone cares about stats or PFF measurables... here's the assessment on Goff

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870774/article/midseason-qb-index-tom-brady-carson-wentz-wow

Rank 17

Jared Goff

Consider it a great sign the Rams were able to get wins over the Jaguars and Cardinals without Goff needing to do that much. The bad news: He has increasingly struggled when not protected well as the season wears on, ranking No. 28 by Pro Football Focus when under pressure. The good news: He's not under pressure that much. Goff shows off progress in other areas on a weekly basis, including his ability to get the Rams into the right play before the snap.

2017 stats: 7 games | 59.9 pct | 1,719 pass yds | 7.7 ypa | 9 pass TD | 4 INT

My Take:
I'm excited on how well the Rams are playing as a team. I feel like we're doing a solid job on all sides of the ball. However, I've been on the record with stating my concern that Jared Goff, being a number 1 overall pick just a year ago, fails to be the "reason we win", but more just a game manager at this point. I hope he develops more into that game changer we pray for, but I'll take the wins as he's getting there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That guy had some unusual rankings there, ahead of Goff.

I’d also argue, he hasn’t seen him play every snap based on those comments.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's not winning games by himself (that game where Kupp dropped the pass would have been an excellent accomplishment, so would have the last drive vs the Skins)....but there is hope that that will come....

Again, a few late game drives will do that....2 min drive before the half....

I think in the next 5 weeks, he'll have to pick the defense up...and get his chance.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I’ve seen plenty of ‘reason we win’ plays to know Goff will be very good. Have you not seen him scramble and make plays??

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Voted he's the reason we're winning. But as I've said before wins and losses aren't on one person. Teams win and lose games.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Goff is basically a game manager at this point but that's really all this team needs currently. He's only 22(?) and hasn't even played a full season worth of NFL games yet so plenty of time to progress but for now all this team needs him to do is not turn the ball over and make the easy throws when they're there to be made

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff doesn't need to be the reason we win. We have 53 players. We don't need a QB trying to be a hero. Goff is running our offense at the LOS, our #1 ranked scoring offense. I don't care what anyone wants to label him. That's fucking amazing from a kid who just turned 23 years old. The teams that win Super Bowls don't rely on one guy to carry them.

fearsomefour

Legend
It is not either or.
A big reason Goff was sacked at a much higher rate than Keenum is he held the ball much longer. Keenum is one of the faster at getting rid of the ball....makes sense given Keenums arm strength limitations....
The O line is playing much better in pass but they are not perfect, particularly the right side. I remember two plays vs the Jags in which Brown was beaten basically at the snap....you know what else happened? The ball came out quickly. The ball was out before the rusher could reach Goff.
It is rarely one thing, this is no exception in my opinion.

jacktheripper85

Starter
He's not winning games by himself (that game where Kupp dropped the pass would have been an excellent accomplishment, so would have the last drive vs the Skins)....but there is hope that that will come....

Again, a few late game drives will do that....2 min drive before the half....

I think in the next 5 weeks, he'll have to pick the defense up...and get his chance.

Down 17-6 to the Cowboys in their stadium Goff went 15-25 for 212 yds and 2 TD passes from that point on leading to an awesome road win against one of the better teams in the league. Couple that with the last drive against Seattle where we were inches away from victory and I can honestly say that I have seen enough out of Goff to say that I’m comfortable he will rise to the occasion during those instances where he needs to be the guy.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
My Take:
However, I've been on the record with stating my concern that Jared Goff, being a number 1 overall pick just a year ago, fails to be the "reason we win", but more just a game manager at this point. I .

I have seen what you speak off BUT I also realize that we are 1 KUPP catch away from calling this kid the Messiah.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I voted he's the reason we're winning. Yes the O line has been amazing, but Goff has control at the LOS now. He's making calls at the line as well as developing his hard count which had AZ frustrated all game. He's already made a couple of wow throws IMO. He's still growing, but I just want to give the guy credit. It's been quite the turn around from last December.

nighttrain

Legend
Goff is close, very close to being that QB that makes it happen in the winning of games. I am seeing it by the end of this season, maybe next. He's only 23.

train

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Kupp catches the ball , the Rams have the best record in the NFL and Goff would be mentioned with the big dogs .
I still rehash that drop a few times a day.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
If Kupp catches the ball , the Rams have the best record in the NFL and Goff would be mentioned with the big dogs .
I still rehash that drop a few times a day.

I don't understand why people are trying to find anything to discredit the Rams. I guess being so bad for so long has really taken it's toll on us.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Almost every QB throughout history is a product of their line and receivers (and oftentimes the run game). When that shit falls apart, so does the QB. There are rare exceptions when the QB can still perform well, but those instances are SO rare that they're considered to be outliers. To that end, it should be everyone's hope that the line continues to stay healthy and the receivers continue to develop. Because it's not fun at all when the line falls apart or the receivers get injured and you have to start making excuses for your QB.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
fails to be the "reason we win", but more just a game manager at this point.
He's somewhere in between right now. He isn't consistently taking over games yet but he's better than some of these game manager types that is purposefully protected with safe playcalling.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My take over the first 7 games. He has been much better. Whether it’s the line or whatever he has been much improved. He still has a lot to work on but that’s every qb in the game. So with that said I’m going to give my observations

Right now Goff is a game manager that is getting protected by McVay. McVay is using a lot of quick passes and 2 read routes with the rb as an outlet.

I think at this point in Goffs career this is perfect for him. It puts a lot off his plate and allows him to play. Now there was an article today about McVay expanding his playbook and is going to put more on Goff. We will see how he handles that.

As a qb that has to really learn the position all over again he has been better than I expected and mainly that’s because McVay has been better than I expected.

Some things I have been very impressed with is his work recognizing the blitzes and getting the ball out on time. Him running with the ball and the command that he has with the huddle. I think he has been watching my Boy Mannion with his cadence he is getting a lot more offsides called.

Overall though I definitely give him an A through these 7 games. just work on his deep ball more and start throwing some touchdowns stop falling too deep in the pocket and stop losing the fumbles on sacks. This part of the schedule is when he really have to be on point. The Jaguars And Seahawks was his first test but neither one of those teams offense was clicking yet these next guys though can score and we have to keep up

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My take over the first 7 games. He has been much better. Whether it’s the line or whatever he has been much improved. He still has a lot to work on but that’s every qb in the game. So with that said I’m going to give my observations

Right now Goff is a game manager that is getting protected by McVay. McVay is using a lot of quick passes and 2 read routes with the rb as an outlet.

I think at this point in Goffs career this is perfect for him. It puts a lot off his plate and allows him to play. Now there was an article today about McVay expanding his playbook and is going to put more on Goff. We will see how he handles that.

As a qb that has to really learn the position all over again he has been better than I expected and mainly that’s because McVay has been better than I expected.

Some things I have been very impressed with is his work recognizing the blitzes and getting the ball out on time. Him running with the ball and the command that he has with the huddle. I think he has been watching my Boy Mannion with his cadence he is getting a lot more offsides called.

Overall though I definitely give him an A through these 7 games. just work on his deep ball more and start throwing some touchdowns stop falling too deep in the pocket and stop losing the fumbles on sacks. This part of the schedule is when he really have to be on point. The Jaguars And Seahawks was his first test but neither one of those teams offense was clicking yet these next guys though can score and we have to keep up

That's absolutely false. We're not dumbing down the progressions at all. Every team in the NFL uses a lot of quick passes, and with us being a WCO, that's going to be even more pronounced.