Goff Making Progress or Offensive Line Saving Him?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How Do You View Goff's Performance?

• He's the reason we're winning

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • He's doing just enough to keep us winning

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Give him time and he'll be the reason we're winning

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • He will never meet the expectations of a first overall pick

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I've always noted with some lack of understanding, the use of "game manager" as a kind of derogatory term...It's been the "knock" on Alex Smith forever...He's served Andy Reid pretty well over the last few years...Same with Goff at this point...He's not asked to win games by himself...The day he is will be the day the Rams have taken a step back as a team...I lie where he is and where he's going...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Goff is fine. I think his ranking is skewed because he throws a lot of balls away....which is exactly what he should do when there isn't a play to be had. Limit. Turnovers. This is still a new offense to almost all of these guys. Seven games in and they are leading the lead in scoring and should only get better with more time in the scheme. Happy where we are, but Goff and the rest of the team have to continue to progress. Duh. This is a tough game.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bunch sets were a recognized staple of his offense when he was in Washington. Are you saying that Cousins has some kind of deficiency that required these 2 read plays?
I don’t think he’s saying that Goff is deficient at all. On the contrary I think he’s illustrating why Goff has the goods to be successful in McVays system.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is absolutely false. I've seen Goff go through 3 to 5 progressions on a single play more than a few times this year with my own two eyes. Hell, I'll quote Sean McVay on this:
"He got all the way through the progression and found Todd on the backside," McVay said of Goff. "It was basically his fifth read. That's impressive."

Here's the play he's talking about:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000849065/Gurley-keeps-his-feet-moving-breaks-tackle-for-27-yards

We're not running a two-read offense. Hell, that doesn't even make sense. Gurley wouldn't be having the year he's having if we were running a two-read offense because he wouldn't be one of the two reads. McVay loves to attack all three levels of the field. If he were running a two-read offense, Goff would be reading deep to intermediate. Instead, Gurley catches a lot of passes when Goff checks down after looking down the field.

This isn't a two-read scheme. Goff is reading the entirety of the field and going through the same types of progressions as the Pro Bowl and All Pro QBs.

And they run the two and three WR bunch sets because it makes it difficult for the defense to press the WRs, causes confusion, creates early separation, and allows for us to utilize pick routes. Crosses and slants are known for being man-beaters. That's why we run them so often.
Lol I did say that doesn’t mean he don’t go through his progression and I also said that McVay run a scheme so that 2 guys are open on a given play with the running back as an outlet. It seems to me that you are picking and choosing what you want wanna talk about. It also coincides with its McVay saying they are going to open up and expand the playbook.

If you don’t think McVay and the offensive staff is protecting Goff then I don’t know what to say. Just because they are making things easier on Goff isn’t a negative because it’s clearly working.

I remember a game chart where Goff only through 1 pass over 20 yards in the air everything else was was 10 yards or shorter.

Goff is improving and I stated that but McVays offensive scheme is protecting him a lot too.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mcvay builds and schemes his offense to give answers to the quarterback as to how he needs to attack.

I don't just think he's running this 'dummy' reads as to help Goff. He's running them because it gives an answer to the QB as to where he needs to attack the defense.

This all being said Goff can certainly improve. But I don't think the offense is being limited for Goff in any way.
Those dummy routes are to free up Goff 1st and 2 nd reads. The same way they had Sullivan calling the plays and making line changes in the beginning is the same thing they are doing with their playbook. Make it easy on Goff then start expanding on that. This is not a negative I don’t at least I think it’s damn smart to do that. You build up the kid confidence you let him believe in himself that he can play in this league and then you start really expanding on his base knowledge and let him have the full range

Psycho_X

Legend
Could care less as long as we win and Goff keeps improving. Can't expect Goff to be winning us games right now like a Rodgers or a Manning. But if you can get a 2nd year pro with under 16 games starts who makes smart decision with the ball most of the time and is able to make plays count yourself a lucky person. No reason to judge him for a few more years as long as all of that keeps happening.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's not winning games by himself

No QB with this number of playmakers would win games by himself. Right now his job is to accurately deliver the ball to passcatchers.

He needs to improve on that IMO, but he is still learning and just faced the #1 and #2 defenses in the NFL.

Voted he's the reason we're winning. But as I've said before wins and losses aren't on one person. Teams win and lose games.

He's certainly contributing on both sides of the equation. He was a big reason the Rams gave the game to SEA. But that's not that common of a thing, he's getting there. Not there yet, but on the way.

My feeling on Goff..........

He's still a baby. Just turned 23 and has played 14 NFL games, 7 in an atrocious offense with no help by the play designer/caller, at all behind a terrible OL. In the next 20 or so games we will know exactly what he is and I suspect we will all be glad Snead did this deal. When I watch him I see him doing the right things most of the time and for a guy with very, very little experience that's really encouraging. And he isn't afraid to go down the field, usually rookies are looking for the easy and safe plays while they adjust to the speed of the game. Also watch him in a turbulent pocket as he keeps his eyes down the field..........that's a fantastic trait and most guys don't do it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Key is keeping our defense off the field with the defense able to get the rest. A fresher stronger defense taking the field until late in the 4th quarter is a winning situation.

Thus what ever type of offensive game plan that Goff needs to operated under...control the clock with extra long drives & put up some points....... is what Goff needs to do. Period the fresh Wade defense will iced the game in the end.

The big play-makers on this team remain mostly on the defensive side. Aaron Donald, Micheal Brockers, Mark Barron, Alec Ogletree, Trumaine Johnson & Lamarcus Joyner are all stars. Those are the shoulders that should bare most of the weight of winning these tight games.

The Ram offense is still very young & inexperienced but their time is soon to come in the near future. Goff & his young offensive starters need to keep making positive sure sound baby steps learning on each & every play, each & every series & each & every game this season.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
All I'll say is that I was totally non-plussed by Goff last year and was pretty convinced we had s**t the bed with the pick. I just didn't believe what a difference a coaching change could make. I'm thoroughly impressed with Goff this year (I mean he's still a "rookie" and his game needs improvements) so I'm excited to see what he can improve on over the second half of this season.

A55VA6

Legend
I voted He's doing just enough to keep us winning.

He's not winning the games on his own, which is to be expected. But he's doing a good job of taking care of the ball and driving down the field and keeping the defense on the sideline which keeps them fresh... something we haven't had in a while. He's only going to get better; I mean the kid doesn't even have 1 season worth of games under his belt yet, so everything we're seeing right now is really encouraging.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I don’t think he’s saying that Goff is deficient at all. On the contrary I think he’s illustrating why Goff has the goods to be successful in McVays system.
How next post is right below yours where he states that he thinks they're doing it to protect Goff. However it is just the system that McVay runs.

It seems to me there's two options: he's either willfully ignoring that McVay is running the same offense here he did in Washington (lots of trips and bunch sets, pick plays, etc) or he doesn't know what kind of offense McVay runs. I don't know, so I won't comment. I don't want to cross the line from stating the way things seem to me into saying negative things about a poster.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How next post is right below yours where he states that he thinks they're doing it to protect Goff. However it is just the system that McVay runs.

It seems to me there's two options: he's either willfully ignoring that McVay is running the same offense here he did in Washington (lots of trips and bunch sets, pick plays, etc) or he doesn't know what kind of offense McVay runs. I don't know, so I won't comment. I don't want to cross the line from stating the way things seem to me into saying negative things about a poster.
I'm a huge supporter of Goff, but I dont see why McVay "protecting" him is derogatory.
I think there are many more layers to the onion of this offense and McVay will continue to open it up. I think he trusts Goff immensely. He exploits what Goff does well and is more cautious with what is not his strength.
Thats what I get out of his post

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I shared the link and started the thread and I voted "Give him time and he'll be the reason we're winning"

I hope that better days are ahead for him. He's not lighting things up statistically, his completion percentage isn't the best, but he's shown signs of greatness and he's finding ways to win games. Seems like his confidence has increased tremendously. His awareness is getting better and better each week. With more time in the system, and more time to develop, I think he just might become a game changer like Dak and Wentz and the leagues elites.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I call BS. Had the OL performed last year like it is now, and if Goff had recievers who could catch the ball, and even with the same sorry OC and HC, no one would be calling Goff a bust last year.

Well, almost no one:violin:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
To that end, it should be everyone's hope that the line continues to stay healthy and the receivers continue to develop. Because it's not fun at all when the line falls apart or the receivers get injured and you have to start making excuses for your QB.

287.jpg

"Preach it, dude"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff has played in 14 games as a NFL professional quarterback. That means he won't have actually completed his first full 16 game slate until after the game vs the Texans.

I don't make grantees but I'm expecting him to take his game to another level before December 2017 gets here.

HeartfeltAccurateCamel-max-1mb.gif

__
630777398-e1484540326714.jpg
At this point^ Goff will Have a " Fisher Record" of 7-9 Life time!!

Don't kill me gentlemen, I'm only having Fun!! It's a JOKE!!

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
so the Oline doing there job for once is saving Goff? please we wouldn't be 5-2 without Goff so theres that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol I did say that doesn’t mean he don’t go through his progression and I also said that McVay run a scheme so that 2 guys are open on a given play with the running back as an outlet. It seems to me that you are picking and choosing what you want wanna talk about. It also coincides with its McVay saying they are going to open up and expand the playbook.

If you don’t think McVay and the offensive staff is protecting Goff then I don’t know what to say. Just because they are making things easier on Goff isn’t a negative because it’s clearly working.

I remember a game chart where Goff only through 1 pass over 20 yards in the air everything else was was 10 yards or shorter.

Goff is improving and I stated that but McVays offensive scheme is protecting him a lot too.

You're moving the goal-posts now.